CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Latti
Carolina-Beez
kevhugh
Cockyteg
eatlighting
Spurrier was Embaras (3718)
More David Williams (3590)
Spurrier not happy s (2886)
Is it possible for o (2727)
Gameday in Columbia (2002)
Polls (1928)
Tonight's ugly win w (1536)
Curse of the Chicken (1386)
Our wide receivers w (1087)
ECU is a good team (974)
Hardest Schedule
Gameday Sign Ideas
Why Weren't We Better Pre
Gameday in Columbia
Polls
D line pressure
Is it possible for our Sp
"Next week...."
Spurrier not happy so why
Curse of the Chicken

View Poll Results: Shaw or Thompson?
Shaw 165 51.24%
Thompson 157 48.76%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #21
Sax1031
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Sax1031 has feathers coming inSax1031 has feathers coming in
Default Re: Shaw or Thompson

Every game I have watched Thompson play in he has thrown at least 3-4 balls that should have been intercepted. And that was against ECU and Clemson defenses.

A healthy Shaw plays over Thompson easily.

At least now I have confidence in our backup QB.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #22
Spurrier Fan
Blue Chip

Male

Spurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownage McGee View Post
Ditto on Connor Mitch. That kid is a gunslinger; I expect big things from him.
Do you think Mitch will red shirt next season? If he's not going to start, or at least get significant playing time there would be no reason to use a year of his eligibility up. However, if Spurrier's going retire after four more seasons as some seem to think, I don't think he would see any reason in not having him available to put in there the next four seasons. If Spurrier is planning on delaying retirement one more season, it would make sense to redshirt him next season, and have what is hopefully a very good quarterback on hand the rest of his career.
Spurrier Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #23
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Also shaw will have some time to get rested for the bowl game. And we might see his best game of the year. But if its the same ole shaw then i hope sos pulls him
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #24
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

Ownage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Fan View Post
Do you think Mitch will red shirt next season? If he's not going to start, or at least get significant playing time there would be no reason to use a year of his eligibility up. However, if Spurrier's going retire after four more seasons as some seem to think, I don't think he would see any reason in not having him available to put in there the next four seasons. If Spurrier is planning on delaying retirement one more season, it would make sense to redshirt him next season, and have what is hopefully a very good quarterback on hand the rest of his career.
Well that's the thing. Mitch is a big reason why SOS is staying 4 more years in the first place (at least that's what SOS told him during recruitment). From what I've read he's downright giddy about getting this kid on campus. If CM is the QB that SOS seems to think he is, I don't really see a redshirt happening. Just my perception, though.
Ownage McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #25
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material
Wink Re: Shaw or Thompson

I enjoy watching Dylan more. Shaw is a smart, steady player. He takes care of the ball. It might have not worked out as well Saturday night with Connor. Clemson had a rotten backfield, so Dylan took full advantage of that.
There is no reason to abandon Connor unless he is hurt. I like having them both. That will bother any defensive coach in game planning.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #26
MjGCock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 342
MjGCock has feathers coming inMjGCock has feathers coming inMjGCock has feathers coming in

Both Connor and Dylan could be gone after next season right? They will both be graduating, but Thompson could stick around in grad school or ball room dancing right? Hopefully we get Nosovitch some snaps next season if we decide to redshirt CM.
MjGCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #27
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I think THompson played pretty well because he got all the reps in practice. If there is any chance of Spurrier yanking Shaw in the bowl game then he needs to make sure that Dylan gets as much practice time with the starters as Shaw.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #28
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

Ownage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet girl View Post
I enjoy watching Dylan more. Shaw is a smart, steady player. He takes care of the ball. It might have not worked out as well Saturday night with Connor. Clemson had a rotten backfield, so Dylan took full advantage of that.
There is no reason to abandon Connor unless he is hurt. I like having them both. That will bother any defensive coach in game planning.
That's an excellent point that I hadn't thought of. A 2 headed monster at QB could be a great asset for us. We could use DT against teams with very bad secondaries and Connor vs teams in which we may need mobility to escape the rush. Good thinking!!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #29
biggamefan
Recruit

Male

biggamefan is learning to peckbiggamefan is learning to peck

To many people seem to forget that Thompson has never faced a real defence except a little while against Vandy and he did not do so well then. Clemson has a terrible defence that made Thompson look great.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #30
doc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1650
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownage McGee View Post
We've had a lot of discussion regarding who should be our starting QB from here on out, but nothing that really just puts the main question on the table. So I thought I would start a poll to see where Gamecock Nation stands.

Please cast your vote and give your reason(s) why, if you will.

Edit: Just to be clear, I didn't start the poll in order to put down either QB. Regardless of who starts Gamecock Nation will support them 100%. I just thought it would be an interesting topic for conversation, not trying to cause a riff between our fanbase.
You need to say if we are picking a healthy Shaw or one
with a bum foot. That foot is the reason he didn't play
against Clemson.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #31
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
You need to say if we are picking a healthy Shaw or one
with a bum foot. That foot is the reason he didn't play
against Clemson.
edited it for you
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #32
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

connor is 16-3 as a starter so let him play the bowl game. at that point steve can open it up in the spring, summer and fall in order to see if a change is necessary.

i never thoughti would see the day that a qb who has a 16-3 record would get cast aside by gamecock nation. i guess its inevitable that some people get greedy and want the greener grass on the other side. sad.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #33
Sax1031
Blue Chip

Male

Sax1031 has feathers coming inSax1031 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post

i never thoughti would see the day that a qb who has a 16-3 record would get cast aside by gamecock nation. i guess its inevitable that some people get greedy and want the greener grass on the other side. sad.
it is flat out pathetic
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #34
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

How is the refusal to settle "pathetic". Shaw's good record alone doesn't make him invincible to the depth chart. A LOT of different factors went into those wins, a stellar defense not the least of them.

I'm not taking anything away from Shaw. He's a great QB and a great Gamecock, but calling people pathetic for merely bringing up and discussing our options and what they present is a bunch of crap. I think it's pathetic that you don't possess the capacity for critical thought required to examine this issue from all angles.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #35
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

LOL...I always click on the poll threads just to see how the votes are shaking out, but I've never been surprised. That is I had never been surprised until just a moment ago. Imagine my surprise when I discovered the votes were 50/50, and that it's not just because only two people have voted. When I checked the votes were 30 for Shaw and 30 for Thompson. There's nothing like solidarity within a fanbase.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #36
jfbreb94
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 615
jfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPit

Thompson . He is bigger and stronger. Conner is a little undersized but does have speed. I vote for the hot hand. and we Know Who that is..DT
jfbreb94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #37
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Thompson. For one, I don't really remember what a healthy Connor Shaw looks like. and I don't really have confidence in him staying healthy in any event. Thompson looks more comfortable to me. He has a better arm. He sees the field better. And he doesn't hesitate an awful lot. I like Shaw and I am not saying get rid of the guy, but I have seen enough of him in my mind to make an educated guess that he is not quite good enough to get us to the next level. And I think Dylan has shown me enough to let him have the reigns and see if he can't do a better job with them.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #38
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
it is flat out pathetic
Everette Golson is 12-0. (some of those might have been with Reis) It's the teams record. The team is 2-0 with Thompson as a starter. That'a a higher winning percentage. Give the kid a chance.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #39
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

It is a kind of either or question. On one side, Dylan can do things that Shaw can not. On the other side, Shaw can do some things Dyaln can not do. I picked Shaw based on Experience only. We will have to see.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #40
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

I think Shaw should remain the starter for the bowl game. Come spring, it is open season to see who wins the spot.

The injury to shaw has caused him to lose his multi-threat impact. His last 4 starts, the defense has been able to key on the RB, because shaw stopped pulling it on the zone read. If he is healthy, he is a much more dangerous.

That being said, Thompson has a lot more zip when he throws the ball. He does make some questionable throws, but some may prefer that to shaw tucking and running (sometimes) after only one read.