CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
JerseyBird
Regalcock
b381l
GregoryHouse
gamecockgal
U-Dub Gamecock
crowcutta
mpilot0705
catdaddy66
For Discussing The C (4560)
Question about after (3502)
Drew Owens missing? (2909)
Shaq Roland (2222)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1968)
clemson game time: N (1551)
The Defense (987)
FishFry 47-yarder (941)
Mason Rudolph starti (629)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (537)
injury report?
2015 - Daniel Fennell
**USC Women vs. San Diego
Women's soccer Sweet 16 v
Texans getting frustrated
Winston
Senior Day RB Participant
Shaq Roland
2015 Commitment - Christi
Question about after the

Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #41
longcock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 27885
longcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Morris to NC State?

Obviously, after 2 wins against Chad's offense, I'm not worried about it. BUT, any disruption to Clemson's program usually is a benefit to us.

That said, I just think NC State would be taking a HUGE gamble in hiring Morris. He's only spent three years coaching in college.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #42
jch81
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
jch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective29 View Post
Somebody mentioned about morris leaving and dabo going to a more "smash mouth type" offense. I have a thought on that..

CU is not set up personnel wise to run that type offense. It would take them recruiting some top flight o-linemen to do so. That might be possible because Caldwell can coach up linemen and CU does have speed at the running back position.

However, there are some inherent dangers to them switching.

1. O-line takes a couple years to develop. You can't just recruit 5 kids out of highschool and have 3 of them start the day they step on campus, just doesn't happen. So they would have to make do with what they have until they could get them in and get them in the weight room, coached up, etc.

2. If you switch to a more "Danny Ford" type offense, the elite wide outs will not give you a second thought when you recruit them. No 4-5 star kid with eyes on the NFL would ever commit to be a blocker or glorified decoy for 4 years. Sure, they might pass the ball enough to get one of them 7-8 catches a game but you won't see them have enough exposure to make it worthwhile to go there if they already have a "go to guy" on place.

3. Getting the players in they need to do it will result in a couple of seasons where expectations have to be tempered. They have lost to us 4 in a row already, how much longer could they wait before Tiger nations collective head explodes?

They are sunk. Switching offenses would require immediate results for Dabo to not be fired. Going from finesse to "old school" is not an overnight switch. They have recruited all these kids at the skill positions who think they will have a chance to run up video game type numbers and going back to "Clemson Football" (as I have heard it referred to) would kill recruiting and result in a ton of transfers, depleting their team. Also, dabo can recruit the skill players but has fallen woefully short at the "big ugly" positions. Dabo has dug himself a hole he can't get out of and CU can't fire him because who would want that job if they fired a guy who wins 9-10 games and competes for the conference every year? CU has to keep Morris or get a coach that runs the same style offense to replace him. Changing just isn't in the cards.

Thoughts?
If Morris leaves I would think Clemson might promote in house with Jeff Scott to just continue running the same system.
jch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #43
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
If Morris leaves I would think Clemson might promote in house with Jeff Scott to just continue running the same system.
That seems to be the consensus.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #44
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
When in doubt, just promote the WR coach. Seriously, I think that would be a really bad move.
75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #45
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
You can't learn and continue running someone else's system in just a year or two. It's one thing to coach the players on some of the points but to call a game is totally different. Everyone has their own style and learning someone's style takes time as a coach.

I'd love to see it happen because I think their O would become as bad as their D.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #46
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 26222586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Dabo's stupid enough to do just that. Then he will bully him on the headset, change key calls, get in his face at practice, etc.

Ahhhhh...
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #47
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

God I dream of a Clemson team with Dabo as head coach and Jeff Scott as OC.

Holy shit that would be money.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #48
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

I just spit my drink when I read that. haha
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #49
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

So, are the talks fairly serious with Chad Morris going to NC State??

If so... that kinda reminds me of Gus Malzahn leaving Auburn....
Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #50
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

I didn't think Morris called a great game Saturday. A. Ellington was moving the ball running along with their other back. Morris abandoned what was working. Their wides were covered well. I doubt he leaves CU this season. Most schools will look on his short list of experience and not take the risk.. He has only three seasons in college sports. Before that he was in high school. Being totally in charge is much more than coaching one position. It is more like being a CEO. He is not ready. Malzhan has done fairly well in a smaller school, but he has
more experience. I am trying to think of coaches names to fill all of the positions that are open. Tom Obrien might be the best coach fired.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #51
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

NCSU is thinking bigger than Morris...trust me.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #52
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

Houston Nutt
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #53
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

NCSU wants to go big maybe Petrino.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #54
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeartheSpur View Post
Looks like EJ might be out of work too

I knew it wouldn't work out for Ellis Johnson at Southern Miss, he is just not HC material. Coordinator yes, HC no. Glad he went though cause I love Whammy! Johnson is too dry a personality to be a HC.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #55
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

I just assume Morris stay at Clemson. His offense is nothing but smoke and mirrors and we dominate it.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #56
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
God I dream of a Clemson team with Dabo as head coach and Jeff Scott as OC.

Holy shit that would be money.
And seriously, we could win 10 straight against them. It's not impossible. Didn't Tennessee win like 9 out of 10 against Georgia in the
mid 90's, early 2000's or the other way around? Anyway, I see a LONG win streak against Clemson coming.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #57
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
NCSU is thinking bigger than Morris...trust me.
LOL they can think all they want. But they are gonna get the leftovers.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #58
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
That wouldn't surprise me. I'm not bashing EJ, because I appreciate what he did here at South Carolina, but he has flopped any time he has been a head coach.
Yes he has. When he was here I almost never remember him being positive about our players......they were always doing something wrong according to him.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #59
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
LOL they can think all they want. But they are gonna get the leftovers.
Might surprise you. They have the money and a determined AD.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #60
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Might surprise you. They have the money and a determined AD.
State fans are still delusional, thinking they're going to get Cowher.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote