CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
l^l^lBGCock
I Bleed Garnet
Ericvol2096
taylorssc
COCKYTALKIN
thekob
gadeneer1986
gamecockgal
kingoftheroost
Interesting quotes f (1194)
We're going to the N (823)
Have you ever been s (716)
Tennessee Offense Br (592)
This season and recr (336)
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTIN (282)
Anyone have a recipe (265)
Women's Team Ranked (249)
Key for 2015 defense (180)
Favorite online flas (175)
Key for 2015 defense
Women's Team Ranked #2 In
Have you ever been so wro
Lebron makes Cleveland re
We're going to the NCAA T
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
SEC Coaches Dress Up for
Interesting quotes from D
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
Chances we win out now?

Old 11-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material
Default Filling defense holes for next year.

We are losing some real talent on defense. These seniors have stepped up. Our linebacking was probably the biggest overall improvement this year, but we're losing the first string plus Damario. Ouch! With the big class of freshmen LB's, I still wonder if we'll have to try a few moves because of the tough transition to this level even for top recruits. We have four returners for the two spots, but only Cooper and Lewis have played any to count this year, and the group looks thin. I wonder about perhaps Rainey at OLB because of his speed, toughness, and explosiveness (he can sky) and possibly Dixon the DE as a jumbo MLB because he seems to move well at DE. We seem so well-stocked at DE and TE, we might need to get some good prospects on the field and get relief for a very demanding position. Gresham is a big body at MLB, but I don't think he played a down that counted.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs
Default Re: Filling defense holes for next year.

We get Clowney back, nuff said.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
rileytm
4-Star

Male

rileytm is sharpening his clawsrileytm is sharpening his clawsrileytm is sharpening his clawsrileytm is sharpening his clawsrileytm is sharpening his claws

I dont think well ever see Gresham contribute much.

For LB though, Lewis will start at MLB in the spring with Cooper at WLB. Bryant will come in and compete for a job and Holloman is going to be a pleasant surprise. Marquis Roberts will also be in the mix for some PT, similar to Quin Smith, coming in for about 15-20 plays a game. Rolin most likely RS now after his knee injury.

My projected 2 deep on Defense next year looks like this:

DE - Clowney, English
DT - Quarles, Dixon JR
DT - Surrat, D Green
DE - Sutton, A Hill

MLB - Lewis, ?
WLB - Cooper, Bryant or Holloman
SPR - Diggs, Golightly

CB - Legree, McWilliams
FS - Marcus, Gurley
SS - Williams, Elder
CB - Hampton (if he comes back), R. Martin
rileytm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileytm View Post

For LB though, Lewis will start at MLB in the spring with Cooper at WLB. Bryant will come in and compete for a job and Holloman is going to be a pleasant surprise. Marquis Roberts will also be in the mix for some PT, similar to Quin Smith, coming in for about 15-20 plays a game. Rolin most likely RS now after his knee injury.

DE - Clowney, English
DT - Quarles, Dixon JR
DT - Surrat, D Green
DE - Sutton, A Hill

MLB - Lewis, ?
SPR - Diggs, Golightly

CB - Legree, McWilliams
FS - Marcus, Gurley
SS - Williams, Elder
This looks really good, I might swap around some guys in the secondary, but that's about right. We really need to get Yannick to commit.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
FeartheSpur
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 717
FeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPit

our biggest ? is going to be who is going to step up at LB
FeartheSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
our biggest ? is going to be who is going to step up at LB
Same concern here. LB play is so critical, and the seniors we had made tackles and helped us defend the run (and swings, outlets) without pulling the safeties up most games. Relief for LB's is a key element, not just for injuries, but because of the territory they cover on almost every play. In addition, we had different size-speed combos for different teams and play situations.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:

DE - Clowney, English
DT - Quarles, Dixon JR
DT - Surrat, D Green
DE - Sutton, A Hill

MLB - Lewis, ?
SPR - Diggs, Golightly

CB - Legree, McWilliams
FS - Marcus, Gurley
SS - Williams, Elder

Ward likes Holloman a lot. Very smart player who plays fast. Not so much thin as inexperienced. But I believe the talent will be as good if not better. Just not a coach on the field like Shaq Wilson.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
1801Green
Blue Chip

Male

1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous

Rocky Balboa: Sure, I like her.
Paulie Pennino: What’s the attraction?
Rocky Balboa: I dunno… she fills gaps.
Paulie Pennino: What’s ‘gaps’?
Rocky Balboa: I dunno, she’s got gaps, I got gaps, together we fill gaps.

We'll fill gaps next year.
1801Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #9
1801Green
Blue Chip

Male

1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous

Stay thirsty, my friends.
1801Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

That is why we got so many talented freshman LBs this class wasn't it?
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #11
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
Ward likes Holloman a lot. Very smart player who plays fast. Not so much thin as inexperienced. But I believe the talent will be as good if not better. Just not a coach on the field like Shaq Wilson.
Christian will be our 3rd CB I think.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
FeartheSpur
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 717
FeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
That is why we got so many talented freshman LBs this class wasn't it?
yes, but they are still freshman and one of our best tore his ACL (Rollin)
FeartheSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #13
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

We only play 2 at a time so its not like we need a 3 deep at each spot.

Cooper and Lewis are going to be stalwarts. Holloman and possibly one or two of the freshmen will fill the backup roles. I'd like to see them put some weight on Roberts or Fleetwood and move them.

I think Kelvin Rainey would make an excellent WILL backer as well.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Also our secondary will be fine.

At Corner we will have Legree, Christian, Martin, Elder, McWilliams and the rest of the freshman (Cooper, Groves)

At Safety we will have Williams, Marcus, Gurley (maybe), Fleetwood, Moody, and the incoming freshman (Sasser) .. While this does seem thin, Whammy wants guys that can play all 4 DB spots so I'm confident that they'll find a few guys that can be interchangeable.

At SPUR, we will have Diggs, Golightly, Roberts, and the incoming freshman (Camara).

We will be short on experience but there is a lot of talent to work with. A lot.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 11-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #15
ramcock
Recruit

Male

ramcock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Also our secondary will be fine.

At Corner we will have Legree, Christian, Martin, Elder, McWilliams and the rest of the freshman (Cooper, Groves)

At Safety we will have Williams, Marcus, Gurley (maybe), Fleetwood, Moody, and the incoming freshman (Sasser) .. While this does seem thin, Whammy wants guys that can play all 4 DB spots so I'm confident that they'll find a few guys that can be interchangeable.

At SPUR, we will have Diggs, Golightly, Roberts, and the incoming freshman (Camara).

We will be short on experience but there is a lot of talent to work with. A lot.

Do you not mention Hampton intentionally? Was given impression over twitter that he's coming back. Thanks for your insight, its always welcomed!
ramcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #16
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Pay sites don't think he will be back so I'm deferring to them. I haven't been told which way he is leaning.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #17
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I think our LB played much better this year. Coach Botkin did a hell of a good job and I have a lot of confidence in him to do just as well next year.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #18
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcock View Post
Do you not mention Hampton intentionally? Was given impression over twitter that he's coming back. Thanks for your insight, its always welcomed!
Tony Morrell of TBS said Hampton had some work to do to get back on the team next year. He didn't want to explain. I think it must have had something to do with school work but I do not know that.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #19
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:

DE - Clowney, English
DT - Quarles, Dixon JR
DT - Surrat, D Green
DE - Sutton, A Hill

MLB - Lewis, ?
SPR - Diggs, Golightly

CB - Legree, McWilliams
FS - Marcus, Gurley
SS - Williams, Elder
Hampton is gone. He has to be projected in the top two or three rounds.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #20
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Hampton is gone. He has to be projected in the top two or three rounds.
Don't see this at all....late or UDFA. Needs to return if possible.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote