CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
snruter amabon
DTGCOCKS#32
Acockolypse Now
eightohhthree
Copperhead
NineInchSpurs
Gamecock Billy
Winston (4455)
ESPN reporter adding (2353)
SOS: No QB controve (1884)
Waldrop injured (1703)
Just read this. (1021)
In light of our matc (953)
Sig I'm giving a Daw (914)
How we won the UGA g (832)
Christian Walker cal (557)
If we keep winning a (513)
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Clemson requires sex hist
Christian Walker called u
Winston
Sig I'm giving a Dawg Bud
ESPN reporter adding to t
If this doesn't give you
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:
Acock's Wrap Up: Georgia
In light of our matchup w

View Poll Results: Shaw or Thompson?
Shaw 165 51.24%
Thompson 157 48.76%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #61
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Shaw or Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockpetBagger View Post
A healthy Shaw would have put up a lot more than 27 on the pathetic Clemsux D. Still, DT is a quality QB and the best backup we've had in a long time.
We would have scored about 42 with Thompson, if not for a lot of weak drive stalling calls.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #62
Ownage McGee
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ownage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his combOwnage McGee is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism7d4 View Post
While I like Shaw he has had that nagging foot sprain which has hurt his confidence. He's running first and not making reads very well. If he can get 100% then I wouldn't care if he played, but Dylan just looks better back there. He looks comfortable and for the most part makes quick reads and gets the ball down field, he even showed that while not fast he can scramble and evade pressure.

Imagine how good Dylan could be if he had the season to get more experience. He made some bad throws but that can be fixed. Our offense is just so much more dangerous with a real passing threat. You cannot ignore it.
Thank you so much for your youtube channel! You have brought me hours upon hours of Gamecock watching enjoyment!!!!
Ownage McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #63
86 GradCock
7 Year Plan

Male

CockyCash: 1450
86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly

I voted Thompson because the passing game is a lot more fun to watch with DT taking the snaps. However, a 100% CS is our best quarterback.
86 GradCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #64
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Connor...all day!
Just as posted on the other threads...Connor is proven against good teams...Dylan hasn't proven that yet...he has played 2 of the worse D's we have played in years...and while i give him props and respect for a job well done in them...it still isn't what Connor has done against bad D's

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #65
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

It would be nice to see a bigger sample from Thompson but his completion percentages against bad defenses leaves a lot to be desired. Part of the reason he's thrown so many passes is because the team is in long distance downs due to the incompletions. I know people like to see him "put it up" but Shaw's scrambles can leave you in 3rd and 3 rather than 3rd and 8.

Regardless this just goes to prove the back-up QB is always the most popular player on the team.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #66
The Gamecock Outlaw
Glutton For Punishment

Male

The Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot material

Can't go wrong with either. Both are very good. Thompson has a stronger arm and seems to read the defense pass coverage better. Shaw has a good arm still but when something isn't there he can make something happen with his feet quickly. Give Thompson a week to prepare for a team with the first team offense and he is going to pass for 300 yds and 3 TDs. Shaw will just find a way to win usually no matter what. Right now I would go with Shaw just based on experience alone but you can't go wrong with either really.
The Gamecock Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #67
JQ94
4-Star

Male

JQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talons

Dylan Thompson gets it.

Shaw isn't a threat if you take his run away, at all..plus he makes the games extremely boring to watch
Old 11-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #68
G&B
ferk it

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

tough choice, both have skills. I voted thompson...tie breaker for me is that DT seems to throw better to a spot on the field. At SEC speed you can't see the open guy all the time and you have to trust that the receiver is going to run the route as designed. I hear this talked about a LOT. That TD throw to Bruce was a perfect example, put to a spot on the field where the receiver had the position to adjust and make the play on the ball.

One analogy I will put on here....ATL fans loved mike vick until Matt Ryan came along. The skills of our 2 QB's are interestingly similar...but strikingly different styles.

"Relativity is relative" - V. Smith
G&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #69
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

wow, this is close. Thompson is the hot hand right now, but he hasn't played against any good defenses. Shaw led us to many wins. He's been busted up most of the year though.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #70
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

DT. Shaw has to see someone standing wide open in order to throw it to them (because he passes take longer to get to the receiver I think). DT has faith that his receivers will get where they need to be to make a catch, and zips the ball there on a string.

Which QB is more effective? That's anybody's guess, but I sure do have more fun watching us with DT at the helm.

edit: I will say, if DT is in, drop the zone read from the playbook. He looked horrible at split-second decision making on that. I know I know, he had one bid third and 1 run with it, but that looked more like a designed bootleg, as if he made up his mind to pull it out before the snap. I like seeing someone drop back and know that they are making it through their progressions, and have faith in the pocket.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #71
Eutaw Kid
4-Star

Male

Eutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervous

Whichever one Spurrier thinks should start!!
Eutaw Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #72
ERNIET
GAMECOCK 43

Male

CockyCash: 740
ERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervous

Both have their strengths, but Dylan releases the ball quicker and seems to be able to zing it in there when needed. I like Conner though and overall there is not much of a difference. At this point I vote for Dylan, but either one is OK with me. It is good to have the options that we have.
ERNIET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #73
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

I voted for CS. He is has brought us to where we are. I do think DT showed some improvement but one has to remember the defenses he has shown well against. CS has shown he can get the job done over the past even with a OL that sometime can't handle the opposing defenses. I live with whoever the HBC chooses.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #74
92Pony
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 588
92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb

I didn't vote, but.....

Thompson throwing to (a Wes Welker-esque) Shaw.
92Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #75
Sax1031
Blue Chip

Male

Sax1031 has feathers coming inSax1031 has feathers coming in

getting Shaw and Thompson on the field at the same time could be very interesting
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #76
5lbYardcock
Two Deep

Male

5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

If both are healthy I will go with Shaw. He just gives us that winning attitude. I really think if Thompson didn't have to face that weak acc D and replaced it with LSU and Floriduh he wouldn't have had the win either. He looks kind of tentative at times too.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #77
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
getting Shaw and Thompson on the field at the same time could be very interesting
Are we planning to ditch the zone/read and the Power I for the A-11?

Unfortunately, that formation was outlawed by the NCAA about 4 years ago.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #78
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

Shaw. Thompson ready and willing if injury occurs.
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #79
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Before, I was adamant, downright pissed off at the speculation of DT over Shaw.

Now, it's a no-brainer. Shaw is the grittiest player we've had here since Ryan Brewer, but Dylan, without hardly any playing experience, runs the offense in a way that is very effective and very entertaining (much, much less stressful) to watch. Opponents will think twice about stacking the box with Dylan in there, whereas with Connor in there, it seems like he's looking into 8 facemasks every time we line up.

We can win with both, but I believe Dylan is the man we need to start, with Connor being the first option after him.

Ace Sanders broke 100 yards receiving for the first time . Think about that.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #80
Sax1031
Blue Chip

Male

Sax1031 has feathers coming inSax1031 has feathers coming in

against the 82nd best pass defense in the country, that was missing key players do to injury.

and I am in no way trying to take anything from Ace

just putting things in perspective
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote