CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GamecockGuardsman
robgusc76
SMOTFS86
sflgc
Spurticus
GregoryHouse
Big Spur
MisterClowney
cockybreeyan
2000grad
Connor to be backup? (2764)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (1168)
Miami Beach Bowl Thr (1078)
Carolina ranked #21 (1022)
Connor to start agai (973)
Gotta get Agent 0 go (824)
Marcus coming home (590)
Most Impactful Peopl (496)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (495)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (444)
Carolina ranked #21 prese
Connor to start against R
Denver/Cincy MNF Thread
2015 Commitment - Quandes
Greatest Gamecock Players
Davon Durant
Players to The Draft
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Gotta get Agent 0 going
2016 - Brandon McIlwain

Old 11-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material
Default Fired Colorado Football Coach Interjects Race into Firing

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_2207...-decision-fire

The guy went 4-21 and he is making race the issue of why he was fired. He interjected race into it, when he made some line about minority coaches donít get hired at another BCS team when they get fired from a school. Yes, he should have gotten more than 2-3 years as the head coach, but it isnít like other schools donít make knee jerk reactions with non-minority coaches. Chizik just won a national championship 2 years ago, and yet, he just got fired. The biggest thing holding back these coaches is things like this. No one rehires the minority coach because of all the BS that goes if they are fired. The more you cry racism, the less people feel confident in hiring a minority. No one wants to be called a racist and labeled discriminatory by firing a coach, so they just don't hire minorities as coaches and can avoid the whole issue all together.

I don't know what his history as a coach is, but from what I have seen it seems like he only was hired because of him being a former CU football player, not because of his history of being a successful head coach.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material
Default Re: Fired Colorado Football Coach Interjects Race into Firing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_2207...-decision-fire

The guy went 4-21 and he is making race the issue of why he was fired. He interjected race into it, when he made some line about minority coaches donít get hired at another BCS team when they get fired from a school. Yes, he should have gotten more than 2-3 years as the head coach, but it isnít like other schools donít make knee jerk reactions with non-minority coaches. Chizik just won a national championship 2 years ago, and yet, he just got fired. The biggest thing holding back these coaches is things like this. No one rehires the minority coach because of all the BS that goes if they are fired. The more you cry racism, the less people feel confident in hiring a minority. No one wants to be called a racist and labeled discriminatory by firing a coach, so they just don't hire minorities as coaches and can avoid the whole issue all together.

I don't know what his history as a coach is, but from what I have seen it seems like he only was hired because of him being a former CU football player, not because of his history of being a successful head coach.
i mean i can kinda understand dan hawkins was a terrible coach and was there for 5 years and went 19 and 39 ... they should have at least given this guy 2 or three more years
Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Talk about burning your bridges. And don't look for any other school to hire you now.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

Being 4-21 is were I stopped reading that is why he was fired.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

CockyCash: 1000000500
Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

He is obviously a victim.

Gaichon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Awesome, you went from not being unemployable at Colorado to not being unemployable anywhere. I don't care if you're martian, if you go 4-21 you are liable to get fired and you can't bitch about it too much. Burn the house down a-la Nolan Richardson.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

Quote:
The biggest thing holding back these coaches is things like this. No one rehires the minority coach because of all the BS that goes if they are fired. The more you cry racism, the less people feel confident in hiring a minority. No one wants to be called a racist and labeled discriminatory by firing a coach, so they just don't hire minorities as coaches and can avoid the whole issue all together.
i dont buy that for a second, if this was the case then minority coaches would be on longer leashes when the facts are schools havent hesitated to fire them. and if it would prevent a school from considering a coach its certainly not justifiable, in fact its despicable. basically we're afraid we might one day get labeled for being discriminatory so we'll just go ahead and discriminate from the beginning.

he didnt say he was fired because he was black, like some posters will mistakenly assume skimming or just reading the title. he said black coaches dont get rehired in fbs football. he got emotional because he probably didnt think he got a fair shot and wont get another chance on this level. i dont think he said anything outlandish or anything worthy of being blackballed.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
i mean i can kinda understand dan hawkins was a terrible coach and was there for 5 years and went 19 and 39 ... they should have at least given this guy 2 or three more years
Hawkins was awful and is why the coach was given such a short chance. They want to turn it around and all signs were the program was heading into a worse place. I agree that he should have gotten more time, because I don't think coaches should be fired without getting a full class of recruits through their program. I just don't agree that race played a factor.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
LeeSC
Melvin bowls...overhand.

Male

CockyCash: 200
LeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot material

Getting fired from Colorado is like getting fired from McDonalds......you really can't go much lower in the FBS. That being said, many "non minority" coaches who get fired don't get rehired somewhere else right away. They have to take a job as an assistant until they prove their worth and get picked up again.
LeeSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 78700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
Hawkins was awful and is why the coach was given such a short chance. They want to turn it around and all signs were the program was heading into a worse place. I agree that he should have gotten more time, because I don't think coaches should be fired without getting a full class of recruits through their program. I just don't agree that race played a factor.

Bullshit. If they wanted to turn it around they would invest more than 750K a year into a head coach. The administration is showing no commitment to win so why fire the guy. Hell he's cheap.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
MBGCock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1110145
MBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot material

I would like to know what his hiring process was like.
MBGCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
infinite1
Iller than most...

Male

CockyCash: 500
infinite1 is making other chickens nervousinfinite1 is making other chickens nervousinfinite1 is making other chickens nervousinfinite1 is making other chickens nervousinfinite1 is making other chickens nervousinfinite1 is making other chickens nervousinfinite1 is making other chickens nervousinfinite1 is making other chickens nervous

He didn't say that's why he was fired (no one has). He was emotional and said to the AD, that black coaches don't get second chances. He later said that he would be fine and that he would coach again.
infinite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
i dont buy that for a second, if this was the case then minority coaches would be on longer leashes when the facts are schools havent hesitated to fire them. and if it would prevent a school from considering a coach its certainly not justifiable, in fact its despicable. basically we're afraid we might one day get labeled for being discriminatory so we'll just go ahead and discriminate from the beginning.

he didnt say he was fired because he was black, like some posters will mistakenly assume skimming or just reading the title. he said black coaches dont get rehired in fbs football. he got emotional because he probably didnt think he got a fair shot and wont get another chance on this level. i dont think he said anything outlandish or anything worthy of being blackballed.
I take this comment as saying both they don't get chances to be a head coach and when they do, they don't get future opportunities to be a head coach, again.

"I mentioned that to Mike. I said, 'You know we don't get opportunities. At the end of the day, you're fired and that's it. Right, wrong or indifferent. Tyrone Willingham was the only one who got fired and got hired again. We get bad jobs and no time to fix them."

My point about schools avoid black coaches, has to do with taking risk on an unproven coach. From an overall university perspective, it is easier to avoid taking a risk and catching hell for a possible firing than sitting back and waiting for a more proven minority coach.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockinraleigh View Post
Bullshit. If they wanted to turn it around they would invest more than 750K a year into a head coach. The administration is showing no commitment to win so why fire the guy. Hell he's cheap.
May be this time they hire someone whose worth 3 million. The guy went 1-11 this year after going 3-9 the previous year. It was not exactly a stellar or promising year. He was hired for being an alum and then they realized that wasn't going to get them wins. It isn't like CU plays a crazy tough schedule, you should be able to win 3-4 games based on the schedule and talent alone.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
May be this time they hire someone whose worth 3 million. The guy went 1-11 this year after going 3-9 the previous year. It was not exactly a stellar or promising year. He was hired for being an alum and then they realized that wasn't going to get them wins. It isn't like CU plays a crazy tough schedule, you should be able to win 3-4 games based on the schedule and talent alone.
While this may be true, it took SOS almost 6 years to clean up the mess Lou left here. Imagine trying to turn around that dumpster fire Hawkins left and they only give you 2 years? Really?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockinraleigh View Post
While this may be true, it took SOS almost 6 years to clean up the mess Lou left here. Imagine trying to turn around that dumpster fire Hawkins left and they only give you 2 years? Really?
Spurrier came in his first 2 years and beat UGA, Tenn and Florida. If this guy had a win like any of those three he'd be back, but he didn't. I am not saying Hawkins left him an awesome team, but they were still good enough to be better than 1-11. I already said I don't think coaches should be fired after 2 years, but I can see why this happened.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Spurrier came in his first 2 years and beat UGA, Tenn and Florida. If this guy had a win like any of those three he'd be back, but he didn't. I am not saying Hawkins left him an awesome team, but they were still good enough to be better than 1-11. I already said I don't think coaches should be fired after 2 years, but I can see why this happened.
I watched a couple of their games. They were lucky to win the one. They are really really bad personnel wise.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

This is an old article about when they were hiring 2 years ago. Interesting that two of the candidates were without any full-time coordinator or head coaching experiences.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...e-and-mcelwain

Also he hired Bienemy to be his OC, so that probably didn't help him. It would have been more wise to surround himself with proven OC and DC to help him with his lack of HC experience.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

First of all, the only reasons Embree got hired in the first place is because he was a UC-Boulder Alum, and he was much cheaper than other more qualified coaches...

Colorado's facilities are a joke, and the BOTs there are penny-pinchers..

As long as they have those people in place, Colorado will never be the same.. Hell, they really went down hill when Neuheisel left there to coach at Washington...
Old 11-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
First of all, the only reasons Embree got hired in the first place is because he was a UC-Boulder Alum, and he was much cheaper than other more qualified coaches...

Colorado's facilities are a joke, and the BOTs there are penny-pinchers..

As long as they have those people in place, Colorado will never be the same.. Hell, they really went down hill when Neuheisel left there to coach at Washington...
It's a shame that a once proud program has fallen so far.