CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
b381l
spareparts
sporkgod50
GoldenSpur7
ReadR00ster
Cockypantherfan
Gyle41386
**USC vs. Davidson G (4672)
SEC Network "Ta (1492)
Sunday college footb (485)
Early Pre-Season wom (470)
So who was the dude (447)
Ole Miss Projected R (446)
Acock reviews the SE (433)
Kentucky Inmate Star (419)
Get the SEC Network (416)
Tennessee hires Donn (400)
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
Does anyone have a link t
Kelcy and Vic questioned
2001 vs Sandstorm
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
SEC Network "Take It
Name a Gamecock
Ole Miss Projected RT Sta
FACIAL
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #41
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: if you had to give a grade to lorenzo ward

Right now he's got an incomplete until the bowl game, but he's on track for an A.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #42
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

B+

Loses points on the LSU game.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #43
JQ94
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
JQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talons

Solid b+, many secondary mistakes and he allowed "Swag" WAY too much leniency for his undisciolined play(personal fouls not just his hitting technique..
Yeah I get, I love his fire but I prefer Lattimores, no overt celebration..."you tackled someone, its you're sole responsibility now hush and line up" mentality

He gets an A for his adjustments, bearly all were masterfully perfect
Old 11-27-2012, 02:25 AM   #44
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

An A (96). There's always room for improvement.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #45
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

I would make him HC in waiting.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #46
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I would make him HC in waiting.
I heard Spurrier say in an interview one time that he thought Ward would make a fine head coach one day...I couldn't help but think maybe he was already thinking that way himself. I have a feeling Spurrier would like to be a part of setting USC up after he leaves...and keeping one from his own staff would probably ideal. I just don't know how ready Mangus, Ward...or maybe Elliott really are for a HC job. But there's @ 4 years to figure it out. I don't really care for the HCIW title though
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #47
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

B

LSU dominated every aspect of that game...it wasn't nearly as close as the score
UT was a weird game all around but when the OL negated our strength it was clear we are still either out-talented or out-schemed in the secondary--it may just have been the fact that they really weren't tested all that much this year though.

What impressed me more than anything though are the adjustments. It seems in past years Ellis was stubborn and kept with the game plan even when it wasn't working.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #48
G&B
ferk it

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

A...Factoring in all the gloom and doom on here the day after Ellis left. I think Ward proved that he is actually a better defensive coach than Ellis. Now PAY HIM WELL and keep him!

"Relativity is relative" - V. Smith
G&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #49
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
I heard Spurrier say in an interview one time that he thought Ward would make a fine head coach one day...I couldn't help but think maybe he was already thinking that way himself. I have a feeling Spurrier would like to be a part of setting USC up after he leaves...and keeping one from his own staff would probably ideal. I just don't know how ready Mangus, Ward...or maybe Elliott really are for a HC job. But there's @ 4 years to figure it out. I don't really care for the HCIW title though
Nor do I. However, it is a useful tool to encourage your outstanding DC to stick around when other (smaller) schools start floating HC offers.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #50
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

hard for me to blame the lsu game on the defense. we gave up a bunch of yards, but they were put in too many bad positions culminating with the turnover that immediately put lsu in scoring position to take the lead in the 4th quarter. we actually attempt to run the ball when we had the lead or dont commit that turnover, maybe the defense holds.

i thought the secondary played well this year too, the tennessee game we were without auguste and gurley so we were pretty much stuck in our base defense the entire game. not to make too many excuses because that was a game where we never really had an answer with the proper scheme and personnel. we were pretty much stuck in our base defense the whole game and they exploited that. the arkansas game was a brilliant move putting swearinger at corner and holloman at safety with us not sure how much auguste would be available.

some of our fans are overly critical of the secondary. if you hold the other secondaries in the nation to the same standard that we're held to then youll realize we have a very good secondary. when healthy its a top 10 secondary. just like any defense the coverage will eventually break down if you dont get any pressure.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #51
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Nor do I. However, it is a useful tool to encourage your outstanding DC to stick around when other (smaller) schools start floating HC offers.
Oh I agree. He is certainly going to be courted if he keeps performing well too. One thing about Whammy is his recruiting ties are rock solid and he showed this year that he can be a "manager" and let his assistants coach.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #52
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Previously said I'd give him no worse than a B+, but with a strong showing in the bowl that could change to at least an A.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #53
Emery
Game MVP

Male

Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

I'm not really under the delusion that board postings mean anything, but I will no longer ever give an opinion regarding coach hirings before a season.

I thought with the changes this preseason we took the less expensive and easy way out but I'm pretty sure I was 100% wrong. The LBs true litmus test will be next year but either way, this year the changes seemed dead on.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #54
ERNIET
GAMECOCK 43

Male

CockyCash: 490
ERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervousERNIET is making other chickens nervous

A- , He really makes in game adjustments as well as anyone.
ERNIET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #55
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
I give him an A. Our O really hurt the D this year in some games but we held on. Even in the TN game, the D won the game in the end. I would give SOS a B as O coordinator although Connor not having confidence to throw the ball hurt. Nice to see what we can do when Dylan is winging it around the field.
sorry man, but the defense did not win the tenn game. that was one of the offenses best efforts of the year, and the defense almost lost that game. without the rose colored glasses, i will give ward a b-. there were good times to be sure, but he inherited an extremely talented group, and did well, but had some growing pains as well. there were times that our defense just failed to do what they were supposed to do, such as the tenn or arkie game.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #56
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
sorry man, but the defense did not win the tenn game. that was one of the offenses best efforts of the year, and the defense almost lost that game. without the rose colored glasses, i will give ward a b-. there were good times to be sure, but he inherited an extremely talented group, and did well, but had some growing pains as well. there were times that our defense just failed to do what they were supposed to do, such as the tenn or arkie game.

Extremely talented group huh....weren't you the guy who was on here freaking out all off-season about being way too thin in the secondary...and new lb coach Botkin..and db coach Grady Brown...and Ward being promoted?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #57
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

I'd give him an A, due to his lacking a few players, but still getting a lot out of players he had on hand. The defense I would grade overall as a B.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #58
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
Extremely talented group huh....weren't you the guy who was on here freaking out all off-season about being way too thin in the secondary...and new lb coach Botkin..and db coach Grady Brown...and Ward being promoted?
yes, extremely talented group! why? do you not think we have an extremely talented defense? don't understand that comment...

as for the second comment, no and yes. no, i never freaked out about us being too thin in the secondary. in fact i argued to the contrary. however, yes, i was very unhappy about the addition of botkin, and was not convinced that promoting ward was the right move. while i am glad to eat crow about the two coaches, i am left wondering what is your point? although the defense definitely won several of our games for us this season, i was specifically commenting on the fact that the tenn game was one game where the offense was the unit that stepped up and won it, not the defense. so, again, i am wondering what your point is?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #59
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

A...he has done a wonderful job so far.....With a few exceptions Coach Ward has had a good year and so has the defense...We are lucky to have him...
Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #60
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
yes, extremely talented group! why? do you not think we have an extremely talented defense? don't understand that comment...

as for the second comment, no and yes. no, i never freaked out about us being too thin in the secondary. in fact i argued to the contrary. however, yes, i was very unhappy about the addition of botkin, and was not convinced that promoting ward was the right move. while i am glad to eat crow about the two coaches, i am left wondering what is your point? although the defense definitely won several of our games for us this season, i was specifically commenting on the fact that the tenn game was one game where the offense was the unit that stepped up and won it, not the defense. so, again, i am wondering what your point is?
Just found it funny you were so worried about this unit all summer and after the season they had you still refuse to give them their proper credit. The way you were going on about Ward you didn't think we would be able to stop anybody. Our defense was lethal this year.