CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
sporkgod50
auslander
ccured
Luke Skycocker
RGHoskins
Rebel4ever
uscjeremynca
TAFC 5 1981
Cockdude81sc
Elcid99 (3022)
PSU drops a prospect (1767)
Mizzou WR suspended (746)
John Abraham DUI (616)
Best Offensive " (519)
I was there, when (491)
Rokevious Watkins cu (451)
Re-Airing South Caro (436)
Clemson, Auburn home (344)
Travelle Warton reti (343)
Blake McClain
Blake McClain
Green and Lammons
Re-Airing South Carolina
NCAA FB: USC vs. Texas A&
NCAA FB: SEC West Over/Un
Clemson Recruiting...how
Mizzou WR suspended for s
2015 - Jalen Julius
NCAA FB: SEC East Over/Un

Old 11-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Acock's Wrap Up: Clemson

So first I need to be entirely honest. I fully expected us to lose this game. Based on how we had played recently, and the fact that it was on the road, made me think that this one was going to just get away from us. I thought we were the better team, but there are many factors that go into a football game, and the better team doesn't always win.

It seems stupid now, but think back a week:

1. Connor Shaw either out or at half-speed
2. Clowney limited by injury
3. Playing a night game on the road
4. No Lattimore
5. Wildly inconsistent offensive production lately.

When you compare that to the consistency (granted against ACC competition) that Clemson had put up offensively, I was afraid that we'd stall on offense, give up a few big plays, and finally wear our defense out.

That is, of course, not what happened.

Prior to the game I said our best chance was to play ball-control offense and limit their snaps. Well... we certainly did that.

OFFENSE
QB:
A

If a QB controversy means that you have two QBs capable of starting, then we have a QB controversy. Shaw and Dylan bring different things to the table, and Dylan's gifts were on display Saturday. He consistently found the open man, even when he was the second or third progression, and did things with his feet that I didn't know he was capable of. Yes, it wasn't LSU's defense, and yes he still went through periods of happy feet every now and then, but man did Dylan step up. Player of the game, IMO.

RB: B
Once again Kenny Miles continues to prove people wrong. I remember reading people that were saying Kenny never fell forward, he was slow, yada yada yada, but when we needed it, he was the guy that got it done. Neither Kenny or Mike had huge games, but both of them performed exactly as we needed them to. The 10 - 12 yard runs that they had in the second half demoralized Clemson, and I'm positive that had we went to a ground and pound game Kenny would have had 100+ yards. Davis missed one very key block, but other than that these guys played well.

WR/TE: A
I was wrong about Clemson not being able to cover our TE. Obviously Venebles decided he wasn't going to let our TE's win the game, they spent the entire night draped over their backs. However, that left our WRs able to run free against Clemson's DBs. As a result Ace, Bruce, and Nick simply ate Clemson's lunch. Ace straight up ABUSED three Clemson defenders on his TD, and they had no answer for Bruce. Special shout out to Nick Jones, who got open underneath over and over for clutch gains.

OL: B
Pass protection was very good for most of the night, but we failed to call out and pick up a few blitzes. Run blocking was fairly solid too, although Clemson kept run blitzing LBs into our gaps and we never adjusted to it. Several times I saw TJ double a DT and push him out of the way rather than engage the LB right in front of him. It may have been what was called, but it left the LB's free to attack in the backfield. Overall though, a very solid performance by a group that HAD to play well.

DEFENSE
DL:
A+

Good lord, where do I start? Taylor did an amazing job of cutting off the initial pass lanes, and Clowney just hit another gear. Quarles, Byron, and Surratt had a lot of push up the middle. It's obvious this group took Clemson's comments to heart. Other than a little bit of over pursuit, these guys played flawlessly.

LB/Spur: A
Yes, we gave up a few big runs, but for the most part these guys not only shut down Ellington, they also denied Clemson's short range passing game. By taking away those lanes, Boyd had to look further downfield. He usually didn't have time. Oh yeah Boyd...about tucking it and running? Bad idea. Holloman got his annual Boyd completion too.

CB/S: A+
First two drives? These guys get a D. Other than that they shut down one of the top 5 passing attacks in the country. I mean flat shut it down. Nuke is having Hampton nightmares right about now. DJ was EVERYWHERE, and other than his... exuberance... played a flawless game.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Overall:
A

They didn't screw anything up, and we've decided to kick into the end zone.

Yes!

COACHING
Overall:
A+

How bad did Spurrier want this one? He might not ever realize it, but over the last two years Dabo has let his mouth write a check his ass can't cash. Spurrier might not have understood this rivalry when he got here, but he does now. It's not so much that this is the most important game of the season, it certainly isn't. It's that he finally dislikes them about as much as we do. Very special for him to get the all-time win mark against Clemson.

Ward proved his bonifides to me this week. He does a great job of making adjustments throughout the game, and is showing a very deft hand and figuring out the best personnel packages for what we're facing.

Here's the thing, Clemson's offense really is that good. Yes, they put up stupid numbers against sub-par competition, but to score over 40 in almost every game you play requires some level of skill. Tahj has played lights-out this year, and had he put up big numbers against us you'd hear his name in the heisman talk.

Ward game-planned it, and made adjustments to it, and SHUT IT DOWN.

Well done.

INTANGIBLES
Overall:
A

There is nothing better than watching the crowd reaction shots in Death Valley as we beat them. I swear, I wish you could keep that up as a PIP window the whole game.

They're finally starting the grasp the fact that we're just better right now.

Acceptance is a good step along your journey.

FINAL THOUGHTS
What a season.

Had we not sharted the bedsheets against Florida we'd be playing in Atlanta as a dark horse national title team. We are THAT CLOSE to getting it done. Close doesn't count though, and the harsh reality is that we're looking at an Outback or Gator Bowl game, even after tying our best season ever. Such is life in the SEC.

Still, to say that we're 10-2, beaten Clemson for four straight years, and went undefeated at home is quite an accomplishment.

This is the greatest run in school history, and we're not done yet.

Let's go get a bowl win (please Spurrier, concentrate on the bowl again this year), have a great recruiting class, and win a national title next year.

Let's do that.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
PyroPepper
Star Maker

Male

CockyCash: 200
PyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot material
Default Re: Acock's Wrap Up: Clemson

Amen!

PyroPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Very nice recap.

Couldn't agree with you more about Miles and Davis having those demoralizing plays. You could just feel the frustration from Clemson fans when they picked up those first downs...I loved it!

Last edited by markymark550; 11-27-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: typo
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

yup throw out those shotgun toss sweeps that had no chance on either play and our backs had a similar game to last year. they ran hard and got what they could. im just glad we stuck with it. we run it 20+ times with the backs and we can beat anybody. kenny was flawless in blitz pickups and when we had a designed qb run. kenny may not make the dynamic play, but he's a good all around back who does the things to help you win that dont make the highlight reel.

Last edited by crowcutta; 11-28-2012 at 09:17 AM.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Most excellent!

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

You said the Defense gets a D on the 1st to drives but they forced a 3 and out on the 1st drive. Then Ace had the good punt return and we got sacked out of FG range. Then clemson scored on the 2nd and 3rd possession.
PageUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Ah....RIGHT!!

Thanks for reminding me.

Well...that 3 and out could have been better. C+
Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
cocknthrow
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
cocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talons

Did Quarles play Sat.? I don't remember seeing him.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
2010Redbirds
You best believe

Male

CockyCash: 9976675
2010Redbirds is sharpening his claws2010Redbirds is sharpening his claws2010Redbirds is sharpening his claws2010Redbirds is sharpening his claws2010Redbirds is sharpening his claws

Can I get a AMEN??!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Pretty sure he did.

I think Surratt got more snaps but I could have sworn I saw him in on a couple of plays.

Anyone know for sure?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
scfanz
Starter

Male

scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

I have been a Carolina fan since 1968. There are only two times in all those years that even come close to comparing to right now. That was watching Big George win the Heisman and the 1984 team. These are most definitely the best times in our football history. Thank you Spurrier for bringing this kind of excitement and promise to Carolina.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Good job. I agree with you about everything except giving our DBs a D on the first couple drives. The pass play to Nuke Laroosh was thrown into double coverage. Akeem had his hand into the hands of the receiver, and Swearinger popped him over the top. Really was just a really good pass and a better reception by a big time receiver.

I'd give them a C+ because the position there was about as good as you can get. Maybe Akeem could have been a bit more aggressive, and Swearinger a half step faster. But the coverage on that play was pretty good.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3462
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

On the play before the long TD pass I think Clowney was chasing Ellington about twenty or thirty yards downfield. I'm not sure, but I think he came out for the next play. If Clowney had been fresh, Boyd probably would never have completed that pass.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #14
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

That wasn't the result of just that one play (I agree, nothing you could do about that one), but rather the guys coming wide open in the middle leading up to it.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
Sax1031
Blue Chip

Male

Sax1031 has feathers coming inSax1031 has feathers coming in

LOL who has been on Wiki?

Quote:
In 2012 Swinney and the Tigers finished the regular season at 10-2 and finished off the season with a loss to The University of South Carolina which marked a 4 year losing streak. Jadaveon Clowney broke the Clemson Memorial Stadium Season record for sacks with 4.5 as he punished Tajh Boyd for striking a Heisman pose in the first quarter after a 3 yard touchdown run. Dabo has since come to the realization that Steve Spurrier is indeed his Daddy.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #16
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

That is fantastic.

I can't claim credit for that.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #17
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

Yep, I would definitely have to agree with you. I was a bit worried about this game as well, but thankfully it ended up in our favor. It just goes to show how good of a team we really do have and how everybody steps up when needed. Think of what the score might have been if we had all of our starters playing & healthy. It was a fantastic end to the regular season. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I tried to give you points, but I have to spread it around first. I'll try again soon. :)
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #18
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

i kinda have to disagree with the Qb play. an A
23 of 41, he had several he turfed and several that could have been picks.

i would go B- on QB play. just my opinion and well who am i.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #19
mvb1
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1992
mvb1 is developing his combmvb1 is developing his combmvb1 is developing his combmvb1 is developing his combmvb1 is developing his combmvb1 is developing his combmvb1 is developing his combmvb1 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now
So first I need to be entirely honest. I fully expected us to lose this game. Based on how we had played recently, and the fact that it was on the road, made me think that this one was going to just get away from us. I thought we were the better team, but there are many factors that go into a football game, and the better team doesn't always win.

It seems stupid now, but think back a week:

1. Connor Shaw either out or at half-speed
2. Clowney limited by injury
3. Playing a night game on the road
4. No Lattimore
5. Wildly inconsistent offensive production lately.

When you compare that to the consistency (granted against ACC competition) that Clemson had put up offensively, I was afraid that we'd stall on offense, give up a few big plays, and finally wear our defense out.

That is, of course, not what happened.

Prior to the game I said our best chance was to play ball-control offense and limit their snaps. Well... we certainly did that.

OFFENSE
QB: A
If a QB controversy means that you have two QBs capable of starting, then we have a QB controversy. Shaw and Dylan bring different things to the table, and Dylan's gifts were on display Saturday. He consistently found the open man, even when he was the second or third progression, and did things with his feet that I didn't know he was capable of. Yes, it wasn't LSU's defense, and yes he still went through periods of happy feet every now and then, but man did Dylan step up. Player of the game, IMO.

RB: B
Once again Kenny Miles continues to prove people wrong. I remember reading people that were saying Kenny never fell forward, he was slow, yada yada yada, but when we needed it, he was the guy that got it done. Neither Kenny or Mike had huge games, but both of them performed exactly as we needed them to. The 10 - 12 yard runs that they had in the second half demoralized Clemson, and I'm positive that had we went to a ground and pound game Kenny would have had 100+ yards. Davis missed one very key block, but other than that these guys played well.

WR/TE: A
I was wrong about Clemson not being able to cover our TE. Obviously Venebles decided he wasn't going to let our TE's win the game, they spent the entire night draped over their backs. However, that left our WRs able to run free against Clemson's DBs. As a result Ace, Bruce, and Nick simply ate Clemson's lunch. Ace straight up ABUSED three Clemson defenders on his TD, and they had no answer for Bruce. Special shout out to Nick Jones, who got open underneath over and over for clutch gains.

OL: B
Pass protection was very good for most of the night, but we failed to call out and pick up a few blitzes. Run blocking was fairly solid too, although Clemson kept run blitzing LBs into our gaps and we never adjusted to it. Several times I saw TJ double a DT and push him out of the way rather than engage the LB right in front of him. It may have been what was called, but it left the LB's free to attack in the backfield. Overall though, a very solid performance by a group that HAD to play well.

DEFENSE
DL: A+
Good lord, where do I start? Taylor did an amazing job of cutting off the initial pass lanes, and Clowney just hit another gear. Quarles, Byron, and Surratt had a lot of push up the middle. It's obvious this group took Clemson's comments to heart. Other than a little bit of over pursuit, these guys played flawlessly.

LB/Spur: A
Yes, we gave up a few big runs, but for the most part these guys not only shut down Ellington, they also denied Clemson's short range passing game. By taking away those lanes, Boyd had to look further downfield. He usually didn't have time. Oh yeah Boyd...about tucking it and running? Bad idea. Holloman got his annual Boyd completion too.

CB/S: A+
First two drives? These guys get a D. Other than that they shut down one of the top 5 passing attacks in the country. I mean flat shut it down. Nuke is having Hampton nightmares right about now. DJ was EVERYWHERE, and other than his... exuberance... played a flawless game.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Overall: A
They didn't screw anything up, and we've decided to kick into the end zone.

Yes!

COACHING
Overall: A+
How bad did Spurrier want this one? He might not ever realize it, but over the last two years Dabo has let his mouth write a check his ass can't cash. Spurrier might not have understood this rivalry when he got here, but he does now. It's not so much that this is the most important game of the season, it certainly isn't. It's that he finally dislikes them about as much as we do. Very special for him to get the all-time win mark against Clemson.

Ward proved his bonifides to me this week. He does a great job of making adjustments throughout the game, and is showing a very deft hand and figuring out the best personnel packages for what we're facing.

Here's the thing, Clemson's offense really is that good. Yes, they put up stupid numbers against sub-par competition, but to score over 40 in almost every game you play requires some level of skill. Tahj has played lights-out this year, and had he put up big numbers against us you'd hear his name in the heisman talk.

Ward game-planned it, and made adjustments to it, and SHUT IT DOWN.

Well done.

INTANGIBLES
Overall: A
There is nothing better than watching the crowd reaction shots in Death Valley as we beat them. I swear, I wish you could keep that up as a PIP window the whole game.

They're finally starting the grasp the fact that we're just better right now.

Acceptance is a good step along your journey.

FINAL THOUGHTS
What a season.

Had we not sharted the bedsheets against Florida we'd be playing in Atlanta as a dark horse national title team. We are THAT CLOSE to getting it done. Close doesn't count though, and the harsh reality is that we're looking at an Outback or Gator Bowl game, even after tying our best season ever. Such is life in the SEC.

Still, to say that we're 10-2, beaten Clemson for four straight years, and went undefeated at home is quite an accomplishment.

This is the greatest run in school history, and we're not done yet.

Let's go get a bowl win (please Spurrier, concentrate on the bowl again this year), have a great recruiting class, and win a national title next year.

Let's do that.

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 AM   #20
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
i kinda have to disagree with the Qb play. an A
23 of 41, he had several he turfed and several that could have been picks.

i would go B- on QB play. just my opinion and well who am i.
Yeah, I could see that. Overall though I had to give it to Dylan for stepping up, on the road in a hostile environment and making the throws he did.

One thing that really stood out to me, one time on third and long he threw a swing pass out to Kenny who had leaked out of the backfield. Kenny was his third read, and Dylan was under a lot of pressure. The throw hit Kenny perfectly in stride, allowing him to make the first down. I'm not gonna name names, but past QB's we've had would throw that behind the RB or put too much air on it, forcing the RB to adjust or stop to make the catch. That's a hard throw to make, and Dylan was money.

So A from me.

mvb.... umm.... what?