CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Singaporecock
CoverTwo
2000grad
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
usc1
Cock Kool-Aid
Order 66
rosstheboss
uscsandstorm85
**USC vs. Charleston (4377)
Kelcy and Vic questi (2485)
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Steele projects AP t (900)
US Air nsfw tweet (732)
I like how Frank sou (665)
boiled peanuts (503)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal (463)
Tax day freebies (454)
Sweet Corn!!! (188)
Bamberg High School Baseb
Connor Mitch
Last 5 years in the SEC
2015 - Chris Clark
Aggie game coming in from
**USC vs. Charleston Sout
Bruce, Vic & Kelcy si
Name a Gamecock
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
The case for Clowney at #

Old 11-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #21
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Manti Te'o or Johnny Manziel For Heisman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
I'm curious as to how you believe Johnny didn't help beat Bama? He threw for 253 and two touchdowns and rushed for 82 more. Every pass caught and run called he had a direct effect on. He put up more yards and points than almost every other TEAM did against the same Bama team. The fact that he didn't need to score on the last play of the game is because he put up 335 by himself during the ENTIRE game.

He also happens to lead the SEC in rushing and is second only to Tyler Bray by less than 200 yards in passing...not the WAC or the ACC but the SEC.

Through 11 games he leads the nation in total yards...with over 4,160 of them. That is over 570 more yards than Newton had during his SEC record setting year...only it took Cam 12 games to do it. He is averaging some where around 378 yards a game on his own. I think at this point he is only a about 200 yards away from passing RGIII and his record setting year from 2011. Newton, Tebow, RGIII...all three seniors and all three Heisman winners...this is the company he is keeping and he is a FRESHMAN...in the SEC plaing against THE toughest defenses on the planet week after week after week.
Did I say he didn't have a great year? No. I said that everyone wants to give him the Heisman because of one game, which he didn't do anything for over half the game. You can say he had all those yards, but half of those yards came because Bama's O kept turning the ball over, giving momentum to the A&M team while putting their D on the field too much, making them tired. If Bama doesn't turn it over, like they did, they win by 2 TDs.

The way you all want it, is that the QB with the best stats in a big conference gets the Heisman. The most outstanding player week in and week out, this year, was Teo. Nobody had Manziel anywhere near the top of the list, until he won one game against Bama. Before that, you didn't hear about him. I am sorry, one quality win with big stats against lower teams, doesn't make you the Heisman winner.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
Gamecock_girl_west
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot material

Teo.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #23
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

I see Teo getting it solely b/c he plays at ND, which is sad b/c as others mentioned, he isn't even the best defensive player in the Nation.

Johnny's Freshman status will hold him back with alot of voters b/c they'll be of the mind "he has 3 more years to win it", even though TAMU doesn't have the record they do without him IMO.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #24
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Tebow won the Heisman as a Sophomore, RG3 and Cam were Juniors

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #25
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107378315064
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Manziel and it is not close
Old 11-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #26
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 700
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
He had more yards than Newton and Tebow in their Heisman years. If he doesn't win it then something is for sure wrong with the process
You are right something is and has been wrong with it! Cam and Tebow shouldn't have won either! That said he is way more exciting than those 2 guys and would get my vote if i could vote if Clowney were already gone that is!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #27
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Tebow won the Heisman as a Sophomore, RG3 and Cam were Juniors
They were red-shirt juniors, so not really the same. Also all those calling Manziel a freshman is bogus, he is a red-shirt Freshman, so it would be more similar to when Tebow won it as a Sophomore. I don't think grade should matter, at all, but annoys me the way we reclassified and mislead with the way they call kids a Freshman who may have been in college 3 semesters already, like Manziel did.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #28
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Lali: just correcting someone who called them Seniors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGEGARNETCOCK View Post
You are right something is and has been wrong with it! Cam and Tebow shouldn't have won either! That said he is way more exciting than those 2 guys and would get my vote if i could vote if Clowney were already gone that is!
And woah woah woah.
You can argue McFadden I guess the year Tebow won it.
But cam shouldn't have won it? Why because he got "paid?"

#LukeForMod

Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #29
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGEGARNETCOCK View Post
How's that?
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #30
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Lali: just correcting someone who called them Seniors
My point is that a red-shirt junior is a senior. I hate Manziel and these guys being called the incorrect year. There is a huge difference in a kid showing up in August as a Freshman and dominating like Clowney did last year verse a guy like Manziel who has been in learning the system for a year and a half and getting used to the speed of the game. It doesn't mean that Manziel's year is not amazing, but doesn't give the accurate perspective on his year and enough credit to guys like Clowney who just step in, basically, from day one and play.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #31
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Teo might get it BECAUSE he plays defense and would the first TRUE defensive player to win. I know Woodson won it but he played many snaps on offense (I know not majority) and not purely defense in that sense (Peyton should have won it, IMO), that's just my opinion, disagree if you want and I know a lot will but that's why I say he'd be the first ALL defensive player to win it and voters might take that into condsideration along with them being in the BCS title game. I just don't see a freshman winning it, if a freshman was going to win it, it should have been Adrian Peterson. Peterson didn't win it because he was a freshman and there was still a bias towards freshman not winning it. If Peterson played today as a freshman with the season he had back then, he would win it.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #32
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
My point is that a red-shirt junior is a senior. I hate Manziel and these guys being called the incorrect year. There is a huge difference in a kid showing up in August as a Freshman and dominating like Clowney did last year verse a guy like Manziel who has been in learning the system for a year and a half and getting used to the speed of the game. It doesn't mean that Manziel's year is not amazing, but doesn't give the accurate perspective on his year and enough credit to guys like Clowney who just step in, basically, from day one and play.

I agree with this 100%.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #33
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
Teo might get it BECAUSE he plays defense and would the first TRUE defensive player to win. I know Woodson won it but he played many snaps on offense (I know not majority) and not purely defense in that sense (Peyton should have won it, IMO), that's just my opinion, disagree if you want and I know a lot will but that's why I say he'd be the first ALL defensive player to win it and voters might take that into condsideration along with them being in the BCS title game. I just don't see a freshman winning it, if a freshman was going to win it, it should have been Adrian Peterson. Peterson didn't win it because he was a freshman and there was still a bias towards freshman not winning it. If Peterson played today as a freshman with the season he had back then, he would win it.
Pretty much agree with everything you say. Especially the bit about Peyton and Peterson deserving to win.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
I agree with what you say, just don't know of you're trying to correct me.
Maybe should have left cam and RG out of it.

On another note I'm happy to see Mike Leach's offense in the conference

#LukeForMod

Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #35
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
Manti isn't even the best defensive player in the nation. Jarvis, Clowney and Millner are all better.
^
Old 11-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #36
brat
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

I think denoting a player as either a redshirt or true Freshman is important because it helps the fan understand that there is some different in their level of play as one was in HS last year playing and the other had a year to mature, learn the system better. I would be less inclined to fault a true freshman making a mental error as I would someone who had a least a year in college to be instructed by the coaches and still makes a careless error in a game.

As they progress to each class, the redshirt indicator also helps the casual fan be able to understand that a future redshirt year could be use, if needed, such as with Lattimore for next year as he has not redshirted before. In his case, it will not really matter as he seems likely to opt for the draft instead of using the redshirt year to return to play for Carolina.

I find the label (R) helpful, not an irritant, but to each their own.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #37
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Hope Teo doesn't win it. He's a great player but he's also been overhyped because he plays on the most hyped team in the country so people have somewhat of a distorted perception of him. I also hate ND. Manziel deserves it more than anyone. If he was a junior this wouldn't be a discussion which shows me he should win it.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #38
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
I agree with what you say, just don't know of you're trying to correct me.
Maybe should have left cam and RG out of it.

On another note I'm happy to see Mike Leach's offense in the conference
Not trying to correct you, more the media and their incorrect classifications. It is just a pet peeve of mine, sorry to come across as attacking you.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #39
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 500
LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
They were red-shirt juniors, so not really the same. Also all those calling Manziel a freshman is bogus, he is a red-shirt Freshman, so it would be more similar to when Tebow won it as a Sophomore. I don't think grade should matter, at all, but annoys me the way we reclassified and mislead with the way they call kids a Freshman who may have been in college 3 semesters already, like Manziel did.
You believe him setting the all time yardage record in SEC history in his very first year of competition is somehow misleading? Or even more bizarre...'bogus'?
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #40
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
You believe him setting the all time yardage record in SEC history in his very first year of competition is somehow misleading? Or even more bizarre...'bogus'?
I believe saying a Freshman did it is misleading. He had spent almost 2 years in college before breaking all the records. There is a huge difference in what someone like Bo Jackson or Herschel Walker did as true freshman, with only a month ever of college practice prior to their season, achieved compared to saying Manziel who had 18 months of preparation did as a "freshman".