CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Acockolypse Now
MEL
Spurticus
auslander
sanford
MWard
ccured
WeStillOwnUSC
Lalli25
Stephen Garcia AMA o (1557)
Texags (1419)
ESPN Car wash Spurri (1165)
Ace suspended 4 game (1118)
COMCAST TO CARRY SEC (997)
Dawg DL man arrested (928)
Holy Hell, Indeed, S (880)
Top 10 Reasons Why T (779)
Comporium (736)
Georgia DE Jonathan (644)
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
2015 - Albert Huggins
Green and Lammons
2015 - Traveon Samuel
2015 - Zack Bailey
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas
Gamecock Showcase Attende
Texags
2014-2015 Men's Non Confe
2015 - Mon Denson

Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
BigSpenda864
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 466
BigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his comb
Default PS3 problem... uh oh, might be really bad.

Last night I was playing BLOPSII and my PS3 made a beeping noise and went dead. It had a red blinking light. I turned it off from the back of the machine and tried to start it back up. It lit up green for a second then beeped and went to blinking red again. I let it sit for a while (thinking it might be overheating even though that's never happened before) and power cycled it again. This time it said it was shut down improperly and needed to check for corrupt files. After making it 80% through the check it beeped and went to red blinking again. Is that the dreaded "Red Light of Death"? Can anything be done to fix it? I have the original backward compatible PS3 and would hate to have to replace it.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: PS3 problem... uh oh, might be really bad.

BLOPS 2 made my machine hard freeze last night as well and I had to go through the file checking thing but it made it all the way through. Here's a link to a site with trouble shooting guides and repair manuals for the ps3: http://www.ifixit.com/
LegalCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Ever blow the dust out of it? If your answer is no ... go buy a new one.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
BLOPS 2 made my machine hard freeze last night as well and I had to go through the file checking thing but it made it all the way through. Here's a link to a site with trouble shooting guides and repair manuals for the ps3: http://www.ifixit.com/
It's done that to me a time or 2 too.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Berry
Sherlock

Male

CockyCash: 17578666
Berry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot material

I had bought cack's ps3 that had the YLOD. When you cut it on the fan sounded really loud.

In other news. I haven't had Blops2 mess up mine yet.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I thought ps3's got the YLOD (as opposed to red) from overheating. If your hard drive is bad that would be an easy fix. If it is backwards compatible it is worth trying to check it out. Otherwise you can grab a cheap ps3 right now with the BF/holiday sales.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Berry
Sherlock

Male

CockyCash: 17578666
Berry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot material

Quote:
I thought ps3's got the YLOD (as opposed to red) from overheating. If your hard drive is bad that would be an easy fix. If it is backwards compatible it is worth trying to check it out. Otherwise you can grab a cheap ps3 right now with the BF/holiday sales.
Not everyone are lawyers and go out and by new ps3.

Spenda should have no problem though.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

They had 'em for $200 bucks with like two good games you can sell on ebay and a controller.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
BigSpenda864
Starter

Male

BigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his comb

Quote:
I looked through the site and saw some info about fixing it. I am not sure how confident I am at cracking it open and fixing it myself. There is a shop in Greenville that says they repair ps3's. I might see what they will charge to fix it.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

I wouldn't mess with it myself either unless it is just the hard drive. You can change that out easy.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
BigSpenda864
Starter

Male

Quote:
They had 'em for $200 bucks with like two good games you can sell on ebay and a controller.
That will be the way to go if I can't figure out a fix. I'll call the shop and see what the estimate is to fix it.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
BigSpenda864
Starter

Male

I took it to the repair place and they are charging me $60 to fix it. I should have it back Wed or Thurs. Not too bad all in all.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #13
IMACOCK
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
IMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot material

Where is the shop in Gville?
IMACOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Ever blow the dust out of it? If your answer is no ... go buy a new one.
EXACTLY. ive never had an issue with my 360 or ps3 but i also take care of it. most people with these systems are lil kids or college kids who dont know what dusting is. dust will destroy your electonics. buy some co2
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpenda864 View Post
I took it to the repair place and they are charging me $60 to fix it. I should have it back Wed or Thurs. Not too bad all in all.
I had my ps3 do what yours is doing and several months later it did it again. if the shop is just pulling it apart cleaning it and re applying thermal paste then it won't be a permanent fix. what happens is the thermal paste breaks down and then it cant transfer heat between the cards and the cooling tubes, so the gpm heats up and the solder around it cracks and looses connection to the board. Most shops will reflow the solder which is just heating it up to about 700 degrees to get the solder to mate back to the board.Then apply another coat of thermal paste to the heatsink .The solder that is used now is lead free and cant withstand the temps as leaded.

If they are doing a reball on your ps3 with leaded solder then it will fix it. I just bought a new ps3 myself I got a used 320 gig for 167.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
BigSpenda864
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMACOCK View Post
Where is the shop in Gville?
Cherrydale.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
BigSpenda864
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
I had my ps3 do what yours is doing and several months later it did it again. if the shop is just pulling it apart cleaning it and re applying thermal paste then it won't be a permanent fix. what happens is the thermal paste breaks down and then it cant transfer heat between the cards and the cooling tubes, so the gpm heats up and the solder around it cracks and looses connection to the board. Most shops will reflow the solder which is just heating it up to about 700 degrees to get the solder to mate back to the board.Then apply another coat of thermal paste to the heatsink .The solder that is used now is lead free and cant withstand the temps as leaded.

If they are doing a reball on your ps3 with leaded solder then it will fix it. I just bought a new ps3 myself I got a used 320 gig for 167.
I dont know what they're doing to be honest. I'll ask them though.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #18
BigSpenda864
Starter

Male

Quote:

They told me it should be ready this afternoon. When I go by and pick it up I'll ask the details of what they've done. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #19
BigSpenda864
Starter

Male

Quote:

They re-flowed it. I asked about whether it would break again and they said it would eventually. They said there is really no way of knowing how long it'll be before it does it again but it usually is a fairly long time. They offer a 30 day warranty on their work so if it happens soon, hopefully it'll be within the 30 days.

My PS3 is one of the original backwards compatible ones. Would it pro long the repair life to get one of those external fans to try and keep the temp down a little? I was looking at fans online and they seem to be pretty cheap. I seems like the main difference in can compatibility has to do with the size of the drive on the console. I'm pretty sure mine is the biggest one you could buy when they first came out... 60gb maybe? Thoughts?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpenda864 View Post
They re-flowed it. I asked about whether it would break again and they said it would eventually. They said there is really no way of knowing how long it'll be before it does it again but it usually is a fairly long time. They offer a 30 day warranty on their work so if it happens soon, hopefully it'll be within the 30 days.

My PS3 is one of the original backwards compatible ones. Would it pro long the repair life to get one of those external fans to try and keep the temp down a little? I was looking at fans online and they seem to be pretty cheap. I seems like the main difference in can compatibility has to do with the size of the drive on the console. I'm pretty sure mine is the biggest one you could buy when they first came out... 60gb maybe? Thoughts?
My ps3 that this happened to was the same as yours and I repaired it myself doing the exact same thing the shop you took it to did. I think the repair lasted for two to three months. Idk if getting an external fan would help or not , personally I wouldn't but that's opinion. I got good at knowing when it was going to ylod on me because I fixed mine four times. Right before it would the corners of the screen would start looking kinda blurry and lighter than the rest of the screen.the last time I was going to repair it I started looking into reballing and was going to send it off because it was an 80gb backwards compatible but I think it was 100 plus bucks to get it done.

Ask the shop about reballing your 3 and what it would cost . The more you reflow it the quicker it will ylod/rlod. Don't be afraid to play the 3 don't baby it dont be worried. Like I said I fixed mine four times or more mine fried because the last time I fixed it i forgot I didn't have any paste and put it back together because my niece and nephew were coming over. Well I forgot and three days later I turned it on and without the paste to transfer heat I overheated the card and poof she was gone.

Once you find out the price to reball , you need to decide if u need the backwards compatible 3 or get a newer 3 . Hope I helped and I will post some videos later that will show you what your shop did to fix your 3 and what reballing looks like. If you have any questions you know where to ask .