CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStill0wnUSC
NineInchSpurs
Regalcock
Pty23
thekob
2000grad
Badazcock
CCC
Spurticus
gromweat
Well, as it turns ou (3121)
Luginbill says ECU s (2724)
What the heck is up (2421)
Davis dinged up agai (1926)
ECU fan here (1605)
Freaky Coincidence o (1350)
Defensive stand-arou (1116)
New Photos by Travis (1021)
Quarles is a Colt! (862)
For the love of God! (761)
Tony Stewart kills Kevin
For the love of God! -- P
Davis dinged up again?
ECU fan here
Luginbill says ECU should
Waldrop injured
New Photos by Travis Bell
Sig I'm giving a Dawg Bud
Well, as it turns out, we

View Poll Results: Shaw or Thompson?
Shaw 165 51.24%
Thompson 157 48.76%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #101
BuCockyfan
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
BuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his comb
Default Re: Shaw or Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
So, you are saying that he played Florida sometime other than this season? I don't recall that...
What are you talking about dude? I'm asking how he did when he went up against a top echelon SEC defense? Hell, how did he do against Vanderbilt? It's easy to come in and light the world on fire against a bum acc pretender, and it's another to play against LSU, then UF, then another SEC team.

Spurriers offense at UF is outdated in the SEC now...they are too fast, too athletic to just let a qb fling the ball all over the place. Having a qb that can run gives the offense more versatility.
BuCockyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #102
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Shaw was returning punts and kicks?
No, he only had the first one...the one that some could argue started the dominoes falling...I said, "initiate"...didn't say responsible for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuCockyfan View Post
What are you talking about dude? I'm asking how he did when he went up against a top echelon SEC defense? Hell, how did he do against Vanderbilt? It's easy to come in and light the world on fire against a bum acc pretender, and it's another to play against LSU, then UF, then another SEC team.

Spurriers offense at UF is outdated in the SEC now...they are too fast, too athletic to just let a qb fling the ball all over the place. Having a qb that can run gives the offense more versatility.
"I'm asking how he did when he went up against a top echelon SEC defense?"

Go back and read your post...no you didn't. You asked about Florida's D.

"Having a qb that can run gives the offense more versatility"

True to a degree...but having a QB that go beyond the first read in a progression and will throw the ball down field thus getting some other people on our offense involved gives us much more.
to come true." Bodhi.

Last edited by Cocky2001; 11-27-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: clarity
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #103
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
No, he only had the first one...the one that some could argue started the dominoes falling...I said, "initiate"...didn't say responsible for all.
There is no way to argue one is connected to another. Shaw's fumble had nothing to do with Ace taking a hit on the ball or Byrd displaying poor technique not holding onto the ball. You only try to argue a connection when you want a scapegoat.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #104
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
There is no way to argue one is connected to another. Shaw's fumble had nothing to do with Ace taking a hit on the ball or Byrd displaying poor technique not holding onto the ball. You only try to argue a connection when you want a scapegoat.
Didn't try to argue that. In my initial post, which you quote earlier, I state that he "initiated" us giving them 21 points off of turnovers. Which, he did. Anything else you read into that is on you and your quest for the scapegoat.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #105
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Didn't try to argue that. In my initial post, which you quote earlier, I state that he "initiated" us giving them 21 points off of turnovers. Which, he did. Anything else you read into that is on you and your quest for the scapegoat.
Initiate - Verb Cause (a process or action) to begin

If you say he "initiated" it you're saying he was the cause of the next two which simply isn't true.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #106
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Initiate - Verb Cause (a process or action) to begin

If you say he "initiated" it you're saying he was the cause of the next two which simply isn't true.
Learn to use the words you look up in Websters...

We gave them 21 points off of turnovers...He gave them the first seven with his turnover thus being the first, or the initiator, of that little sequence.

It's just english...it's not that difficult.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #107
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

This last page is a train wreck.............
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #108
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Quote:
Learn to use the words you look up in Websters...

We gave them 21 points off of turnovers...He gave them the first seven with his turnover thus being the first, or the initiator, of that little sequence.

It's just english...it's not that difficult.
Clearly it is for some. Shaw committed the first turnover but unless he convinced Sanders and Byrd to fumble he didn't initiate the other two turnovers.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #109
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Clearly it is for some. Shaw committed the first turnover but unless he convinced Sanders and Byrd to fumble he didn't initiate the other two turnovers.
The sequence, not the turnovers, "it isn't rocket surgery."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
This last page is a train wreck.............
I agree.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #110
TStone
Grammar Nazi

Male

Pumpkin Contest: Winner of the Pumpkin Carving Contest - Given for: Pumpkin Contest 
CockyCash: 4535
TStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot material

Shaw if healthy. Between the two a healthy Shaw is the best option, but Dylan is a damn close second. I wouldn't be upset with either of them behind center. I just think the extra dimension Shaw gives us with his legs makes him the more valuable QB even though I think Dylan is a better pure passer.

Overall I don't think we have a controversy. I think we have a blessing. It's all just a matter of how you look at it. This "controversy" (if anyone insists on calling it that) does not at all have the same feel as the true controversies with Mitchell and Garcia.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #111
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

Shaws first TO had zero impact on any other TO that game. /discussion
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #112
cockysousa
Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
cockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudly

SOS said Shaw will be ready to go for the bowl. So that's who I voted for. He's paid millions because he can make those decisions better than me. That being said, I loved watching Thompson just throw it. He made some bad choices that would have probably... no, most likely been interceptions against a half decent defense. But dadgummit, just make a decision. The thing that drives me nuts worse than a tipped ball intercepted is the INDECISION that I see from Shaw. Sometimes, I just want Shaw to throw it. I don't care if he throws it into the stands. Just quit holding the ball so long.

Ok, rant over.

Trust the HBC.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #113
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Aren;t LSU and Florida good teams?

Dylan hasn't beaten them, neither has Shaw, but he has beaten the teams he has been asked to play against.

It takes a TEAM to beat good teams like that...the QB doesn't beat them alone. But Connor has played better D's (LSU and Fla) and still has a better QB rating which proves he is the better QB until Dylan proves he can do what he has done against better D's

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #114
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
It takes a TEAM to beat good teams like that...the QB doesn't beat them alone. But Connor has played better D's (LSU and Fla) and still has a better QB rating which proves he is the better QB until Dylan proves he can do what he has done against better D's
I don't think people are saying Shaw is a bad player or anything, they just want him to get the ball out. If he starts reading the defense and going through progressions instead of taking off, he could be elite. Dylan has half as many yards as Shaw does (counting their net rushing yards) in a third as many games. I'll grant you that he hasn't played as many good defenses as Shaw, but against the great defenses you claim Shaw has proven himself against, he has 249 passing yards which is less than any game Dylan has started. Dylan also had more yards against Florida than Shaw did. Dylan's QB rating is also a mere 22 points less than Shaw's, despite the fact that he will try to throw down the field, if that's what you want to hang your hat on.
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #115
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

I will say this, and this is very big. The last 3 National title winners won it with a first year starting QB... just sayin!

It seems with shaw in there, we can generate a good run game from the zone read, but when we can't generate any run game with him in there then it kind of goes south offensively. I noticed when Thompson was in, our run game was kind of suspect & he was still able to carry the team offensively by getting the ball where it needed to go. He is doing this early in his career too. I know this was Shaw's first full season as a starter but he had time last year too. Plenty of experience. With Thompson were talking about very little experience here. I just like what I see out of the passing game with him in there that's all. Never thought I'd be the one to say it, but as much as I like shaw I think I'm ready to see someone back there who can air it out or atleast just give us SOMETHING in the passing game. I do think shaw remains the starter, and after he leaves Thompson will take over for a few years until whoever else steps up but you gotta hand it to Dylan, coming out of highschool I know alot of people werent expecting to see what they're seeing now from him.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #116
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by klempsux View Post
I don't think people are saying Shaw is a bad player or anything, they just want him to get the ball out. If he starts reading the defense and going through progressions instead of taking off, he could be elite. Dylan has half as many yards as Shaw does (counting their net rushing yards) in a third as many games. I'll grant you that he hasn't played as many good defenses as Shaw, but against the great defenses you claim Shaw has proven himself against, he has 249 passing yards which is less than any game Dylan has started. Dylan also had more yards against Florida than Shaw did. Dylan's QB rating is also a mere 22 points less than Shaw's, despite the fact that he will try to throw down the field, if that's what you want to hang your hat on.
Hopefully, they will hear you. No one dlslikes Connor, most of us do, we just see a more complete QB in DT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabeastonu View Post
Shaws first TO had zero impact on any other TO that game. /discussion
You were a day late and a dollar short to be in on that discussion last night...
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #117
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Thompson can do things Shaw can't throwing the ball. Kid has a great arm. Loved the result Saturday night.

However, I watched the game last night and Dylan threw 5 balls that could have been picked off. Fortunately, only one of them was. While Shaw isn't as flashy as Thompson and can't make the same throws, he doesn't turn it over that much.

Dylan needs to quit forcing stuff. Better defenses than Clemson would have picked balls off. If so, we lose that game. Don't underestimate Shaw. As Spurrier has pointed out, he rarely does stuff that causes us to lose games.

This is no knock on Dylan but not protecting the ball is something is going to have do better. He got away with it Saturday night but some of his poor throws can't be overlooked. This is where Shaw deserves a little more credit.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #118
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilchCock View Post
Well that wasn't very nice. Excuse me for thinking that the guy with the best arm, the best vision, the best height, and adequate athleticism would make the best starting quarterback. Our offense with Dylan runs so much more beautifully. It's actually spurrier's offense, not some Mangus-hyped hybrid where there is no flow. 119 yards for ace, 7 catches for Bruce, 310 yards through the air on the road, nick jones actually making an appearance. But don't listen to me, Baah Baah, I'm about as useful as a sheep. (By the way, I've been for thompson ever since ecu. I rejoiced when I found out he'd be starting).
before you get your panties all in a wad, go back and read the preface!

then, EXCUSE me for thinking along the same lines as an actual hof coach, and going with the guy with the BEST ACTUAL RECORD, BEST ACTUAL QB RATING, BEST ACTUAL COMPLETION PERCENTAGE, BEST ACTUAL GAME EXPERIENCE and the BEST ACTUAL ATHLETIC ABILITIES would make the best starting qb. now the vision thing, who has the better arm and how smoothly the offense operates is a personal call, and definitely your bias.

now, it's funny how you claim to know what is "spurrier's offense" better than spurrier himself. because coach spurrier has said multiple times that connor was his choice, and that he will be the qb for the bowl game. that clearly states that the offense that connor is running is spurrier's offense. yet, you and the other sheep, since you proclaimed yourself one, still deem to tell this hof, heisman trophy winning coach, that he is wrong. now, once again, not trying to hurt any feelings here, but you would have to be dim as a sheep to not get how ridiculous that is.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #119
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

Let's keep in mind what shaw is capable of doing while healthy... I think either one will do great for us, but when Connor is healthy his running threat is hard to ignore. And he can throw the ball pretty well too! IMO
Old 11-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #120
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
before you get your panties all in a wad, go back and read the preface!

then, EXCUSE me for thinking along the same lines as an actual hof coach, and going with the guy with the BEST ACTUAL RECORD, BEST ACTUAL QB RATING, BEST ACTUAL COMPLETION PERCENTAGE, BEST ACTUAL GAME EXPERIENCE and the BEST ACTUAL ATHLETIC ABILITIES would make the best starting qb. now the vision thing, who has the better arm and how smoothly the offense operates is a personal call, and definitely your bias.

now, it's funny how you claim to know what is "spurrier's offense" better than spurrier himself. because coach spurrier has said multiple times that connor was his choice, and that he will be the qb for the bowl game. that clearly states that the offense that connor is running is spurrier's offense. yet, you and the other sheep, since you proclaimed yourself one, still deem to tell this hof, heisman trophy winning coach, that he is wrong. now, once again, not trying to hurt any feelings here, but you would have to be dim as a sheep to not get how ridiculous that is.
Dylan is one less dropped pass from having the same QB rating as Shaw.
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote