CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Ahmad
ChickenButt
Cockypantherfan
cocky-K
HeadCockFan
eightohhthree
jrussjr
markp_vip
roosterdude21
Mizzou Depth Chart v (1989)
Defense not an issue (1949)
Legitimate, Unbiased (1428)
Antonio Allen vs Als (1428)
Cack's Toast of the (1311)
Brawl at 49ers/Cardi (1236)
why we're in this po (1089)
I guess we don't get (1070)
Pharoh Cooper is a s (781)
Look who's at the bo (741)
official UFC thread. (new
Ex-player sues Southern C
Gameday Sign Ideas
Acock's Wrap Up: Vandy
Pharoh Cooper is a stud
2016 - Bryan Edwards
Predict the Season (After
Spurrier Press conference
2015 Commitment - Arden K
Acockolypse Now.........

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material
Default Gator Bowl Commish says USC

I was listening to an interview here in Jacksonville tonight with the Gator Executive Director Rick Catlett. He said the Gator Bowl is putting on a hard press to get USC to the Gator Bowl and he thinks it is better than 50/50 that it happens provided FSU wins the ACC Title Game. He said getting South Carolina to the Gator Bowl would be a "Home Run".

Here is his logic at how USC ends up at the Gator, I had to remember this for 2 hours before I could write it down, so I think this is correct:

Provided FSU wins Saturday,

The Cotton is first pick after the BCS Schools and they get first pick from the SEC W. =LSU or TAM

Capital One gets next pick from the SEC E or a higher rated SEC W. =TAM or LSU or GA

The Chick fil A is next from the SEC E=Georgia or LSU or TAM whoever is left.

The Outback gets next pick, but they will choose the Big 10 #2 if available or #3 team first . That would be Nebraska or Wisconsin. If Nebraska, then the Outback will not want a rematch with Neb vs SC. =Miss St. vs Nebraska

Gator= SC vs Michigan or Wisconsin

A couple of things he said that I thought were interesting:

1. Bowls are really pushing to get away from hometown bowls. They want fanbases to travel for the rooms.
2. Bowls really do work together to put together these match ups, to a point.
3. The pecking order is not the end all for bowls, they look much more at the fan base that would come versus where they are ranked. "No one wants KState or Northwestern in their bowl."
4. Bowls can put together packages ($$$$$) to entice schools to accept their invitation.
5. He said Spurrier was in Jacksonville today on a "recruiting trip".

Last edited by CockTail; 11-28-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 180386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material
Default Re: Gator Bowl Commish says USC

I would love the gator bowl
Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
SouthCGC
Blue Chip

Male

SouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervousSouthCGC is making other chickens nervous

That would be cool to play Michigan. Classic
Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
I was listening to an interview here in Jacksonville tonight with the Gator Executive Director Rick Catlett. He said the Gator Bowl is putting on a hard press to get USC to the Gator Bowl and he thinks it is better than 50/50 that it happens provided FSU wins the ACC Title Game. He said getting South Carolina to the Gator Bowl would be a "Home Run".

Here is his logic at how USC ends up at the Gator, I had to remember this for 2 hours before I could write it down, so I think this is correct:

Provided FSU wins Saturday,

The Cotton is a BCS School and they get first pick from the SEC W. =LSU or TAM

Capital One gets next pick from the SEC E or a higher rated SEC W. =TAM or LSU or GA

The Chick fil A is next from the SEC E=Georgia or LSU or TAM whoever is left.

The Outback gets next pick, but they will choose the Big 10 #2 if available or #3 team first . That would be Nebraska or Wisconsin. If Nebraska, then the Outback will not want a rematch with Neb vs SC. =Miss St. vs Nebraska

Gator= SC vs Michigan

A couple of things he said that I thought were interesting:

1. Bowls are really pushing to get away from hometown bowls. They want fanbases to travel for the rooms.
2. Bowls really do work together to put together these match ups, to a point.
3. The pecking order is not the end all for bowls, they look much more at the fan base that would come versus where they are ranked. "No one wants KState or Northwestern in their bowl."
4. Bowls can put together packages ($$$$$) to entice schools to accept their invitation.
5. He said Spurrier was in town today on a "recruiting trip".
Gator bowl vs Michigan would be great.

I also heard a few days ago that Tanner and Spurrier want the Gator more since we haven't been there before with spurrier (already to OB with spurrier) and its a lot closer than Tampa. I'm sure there are other things too.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

The cotton in not bcs
Old 11-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
The cotton in not bcs
Sorry, I meant to say they are the first pick after the BCS Bowls.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

The Cap-1 gets the first pick after the BCS, not the Cotton Bowl..

Wait, did they change up the pecking order this year?? It has always been Cap-1, Then the Cotton got the pick from the West, while the Outback got the pick from the East.... then CFA... then Gator

Reguardless, this is great news for me (Id rather go to the Gator Bowl than the Outback bowl anyway)
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

So vandy and or miss. State would be getting picked before us. Pathetic.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

I think the Outback bowl would be more prestigious. Gator bowl last year was 6-6 Ohio State vs 6-6 UF.

And I also think Nebraska should win the big 10 championship vs 7-5 Winsconsin.

Tampa is a nicer, better, and more fun destination. There are 1000x more things to do in the Bay area than Jacksonville. And don't some gamecock fans visit the Jacksonville area when we travel to UF every other year?

Also I've heard from athletics that they think we are going to the Outback bowl (60% chance)
Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

But you know what?? If Spurrier and Tanner want to go to the Gator Bowl (over the Outback Bowl)... the Gator Bowl rep wants us to go there, and if he and the Outback Bowl rep do communicate about stuff like this.... then hell, lets go to the Gator Bowl

Honestly, there really is not all that much difference between the Outback,CFA and Gator Bowls anyway...
Old 11-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

I've also heard the Outback is still kinda mad at us from 08-09. Not sure if its true or not.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
braddydee
Recruit

Male

braddydee is sharpening his clawsbraddydee is sharpening his clawsbraddydee is sharpening his clawsbraddydee is sharpening his clawsbraddydee is sharpening his claws

I really hope the Gator! It's only 2.5 hours drive from my house!

"So, when we come out of Atlanta huggin' and high 5'n... that's when you'll know we've hit the promised land!" -Coach Spurrier
Old 11-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
Gator bowl vs Michigan would be great.

I also heard a few days ago that Tanner and Spurrier want the Gator more since we haven't been there before with spurrier (already to OB with spurrier) and its a lot closer than Tampa. I'm sure there are other things too.

We also have a huge number of Gamecock Club Members & grads in Jacksonville that are really pushing for the Gator
Old 11-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
CockyHoskins
Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School

Male

Homecoming King/Queen: Award given to the poster we most want to meet at the next game - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to meet at the next game Best Non-Football Thread: Award given for starting the best non-football thread - Given for: starting the best non-football thread of 2005 (introductions are in order) 
CockyCash: 100500
CockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Skype™ to CockyHoskins

I have been waiting to play Michigan forever! (well, I guess since 1985).

Invading stores now!!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
Cocky Garnet
Walk On

Male

Cocky Garnet is sharpening his clawsCocky Garnet is sharpening his clawsCocky Garnet is sharpening his clawsCocky Garnet is sharpening his clawsCocky Garnet is sharpening his claws

I always though the order was:

BCS Nat'l Champ (not being smart and saying that's a done deal, just obviously saying that gets priority)
BCS Sugar
Capital One
Cotton / Outback (allegedly same time but TX bowl gets SEC-W preference and FL bowl gets SEC-E preference)
Chick-fil-A
Gator
... my mind gets fuzzy after that, but something like Music City, Liberty, Compass, Independence... hopefully we don't fall that far... ever. Haha.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #16
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBrooks View Post
I would love the gator bowl
Place was a dump for the 1987 Gator bowl, I was there.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
I've also heard the Outback is still kinda mad at us from 08-09. Not sure if its true or not.

Yeah... here is the thing with the Outback Bowl... we took an ass of people (near 35,000 the first year, and about 28,000 the 2nd year..would have had more the 2nd year, but OSU sold all of their tickets)... For the Iowa game, they truly expected us to bring the same kind of crowd that we did for those first 2 games... Problem was, we got blown out by Florida, then looked like ass against Clemson to end the season.... so not too many people wanted to go to the Bowl game down there.... we took 8,000-9,000 people, and the Outback Bowl has not forgotten that...

Now, it really depends on who the Cap-1 takes (IMO)... If they take A&M (as some as reporting they will).... I think Cotton goes with LSU, you would have Carolina and UGA sitting there for the Outback.... UGA was there last year, so will they take UGA for a 2nd straight year?? If so, then the CFA will take Miss State or Vandy for the CFA, and we are in the Gator...
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

Spurrier in also in the Gator Bowl Hall of Fame.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
CockSlap21
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1000
CockSlap21 is developing his combCockSlap21 is developing his combCockSlap21 is developing his combCockSlap21 is developing his combCockSlap21 is developing his combCockSlap21 is developing his combCockSlap21 is developing his combCockSlap21 is developing his comb

I wouldn't mind going to the Gator bowl, but I'm not too pumped about going to the taxslayer.com Gator bowl. Might be ridiculous but that ruins it for me.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #20
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Place was a dump for the 1987 Gator bowl, I was there.

The stadium was 100% renovated once it was announed that Jacksonville got the NFL franchise.... Its actually a decent stadium