CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
b381l
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
spareparts
gamecockgal
Yearofthegamecock
JerseyBird
Pw00132
Dylan Thompson's pas (2969)
ST coach fired this (2896)
Clem5on fans are bes (2647)
Celebrity Guest Pick (2390)
Let's talk about Mat (1981)
So, um, yeah the NFL (838)
Defensive personnel (789)
Rank the SEC startin (764)
7:30 kickoff for Ken (739)
Kendrick salley (700)
Brawl at 49ers/Cardinals
Cack's Toast of the Game:
Mizzou Depth Chart vs Sou
7:30 kickoff for Kentucky
Celebrity Guest Picker...
Dylan Thompson's passing
Capital One Bowl to chang
USC/Missouri 9/27/2014
Is it possible for our Sp
SEC East Race as of 9/21

View Poll Results: Shaw or Thompson?
Shaw 165 51.24%
Thompson 157 48.76%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #121
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit
Default Re: Shaw or Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by klempsux View Post
Dylan is one less dropped pass from having the same QB rating as Shaw.
You might have well include all the dropped passes for Shaw. There are a lot.
carolinacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #122
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
Thompson can do things Shaw can't throwing the ball. Kid has a great arm. Loved the result Saturday night.

However, I watched the game last night and Dylan threw 5 balls that could have been picked off. Fortunately, only one of them was. While Shaw isn't as flashy as Thompson and can't make the same throws, he doesn't turn it over that much.

Dylan needs to quit forcing stuff. Better defenses than Clemson would have picked balls off. If so, we lose that game. Don't underestimate Shaw. As Spurrier has pointed out, he rarely does stuff that causes us to lose games.

This is no knock on Dylan but not protecting the ball is something is going to have do better. He got away with it Saturday night but some of his poor throws can't be overlooked. This is where Shaw deserves a little more credit.
I think this is the biggest reason to put Shaw ahead of Thompson. I know people are enamored with the yardage totals and Thompson has made some nice throws but when you look at his performances overall they just haven't been that impressive. He doesnt have great completion percentages and he does tend to just throw the ball up for grabs occasionally. I know that worked when we had Alshon and Sidney but the receivers we have now are more shifty than leapers and against half way decent defenses those plays could be trouble.

I do think Thompson has a stronger arm than Shaw and can make throws that just aren't Shaw's strongpoints but that doesn't make him the better QB.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #123
Jleo
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Jleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talonsJleo has developed his gaff and talons

Thompson did well. The thing to remember is Clemson and ECU have horrible secondaries. Much like Tennessee where Shaw threw for 356 yds, and Arky and Missouri where he threw for 250+. Add to that Shaw's running ability and it's pretty clear he should be the starter.

Jleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #124
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jleo View Post
Thompson did well. The thing to remember is Clemson and ECU have horrible secondaries. Much like Tennessee where Shaw threw for 356 yds, and Arky and Missouri where he threw for 250+. Add to that Shaw's running ability and it's pretty clear he should be the starter.
shaws stats are HIGHLY inflated due to checkdown throws and throws to TE's Dylan makes throws shaw just cant. plain and simple
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #125
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

I'm fine with either. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Both are great ball players and have a great personality, so i am ok with who ever spurrier starts.
uscgamecocks88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #126
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Shaw. I'll never forget what Dylan did last Saturday. Dylan has a cannon but I dont know that he knows where its going sometimes.

I like both. Connor is 16-3 as a starter. Dylan is yet to lose. Made himself into a Gamecock legend. But until Connor loses the job for something other than injury, its his job
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #127
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
Shaw. I'll never forget what Dylan did last Saturday. Dylan has a cannon but I dont know that he knows where its going sometimes.

I like both. Connor is 16-3 as a starter. Dylan is yet to lose. Made himself into a Gamecock legend. But until Connor loses the job for something other than injury, its his job
Yep...but I do think Dylan will get more looks next year.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #128
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Yep...but I do think Dylan will get more looks next year.
I agree. He's gotten a lot of confidence this year. They also said this is a big spring to see what Brendan can do. But it's still Connor's job to lose.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #129
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
I think this is the biggest reason to put Shaw ahead of Thompson. I know people are enamored with the yardage totals and Thompson has made some nice throws but when you look at his performances overall they just haven't been that impressive. He doesnt have great completion percentages and he does tend to just throw the ball up for grabs occasionally. I know that worked when we had Alshon and Sidney but the receivers we have now are more shifty than leapers and against half way decent defenses those plays could be trouble.

I do think Thompson has a stronger arm than Shaw and can make throws that just aren't Shaw's strongpoints but that doesn't make him the better QB.
Whoa. Dylan has made some amazing throws. Throws shaw has never attempted. He made throws Saturday where he threaded the needle in a TIGHT window between two defenders and his his man in the numbers.

Actually if any one of our starting QBs hasn't been impressive I would say its Shaw. He is actually so unimpressive throwing that it's frustrating.

Dylan makes throws that make me say wow. Something that hasn't been done here really since Mitchell.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #130
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
Whoa. Dylan has made some amazing throws. Throws shaw has never attempted. He made throws Saturday where he threaded the needle in a TIGHT window between two defenders and his his man in the numbers.

Actually if any one of our starting QBs hasn't been impressive I would say its Shaw. He is actually so unimpressive throwing that it's frustrating.

Dylan makes throws that make me say wow. Something that hasn't been done here really since Mitchell.
I agree Thompson has a good arm (maybe not on Mitchell's level) but a good arm. I also agree he made throws Shaw couldn't make since injured shoulder or not he's not likely to throw all the way accross the field.

That being said his completion percentage was still only just above 50% and for every needle he threade he missed the broad side of the barn with another. I think the reality is they are both above average QBs and they both have strengths and weaknesses. However if the weakness we're comparing are not putting the ball up when there may not be an open receiver versus throwing it up to see what happens and occasionally having a big play and occasionally throwing a pick I'd rather have the guy that's less likely to turn the ball over.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #131
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

from the wofford game too the bowl is 6 weeks..shaw will be throwing the ball with zip by then..thenhe will have a procedure done and will be throwing darts.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #132
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by klempsux View Post
Dylan is one less dropped pass from having the same QB rating as Shaw.
go back and think about what you wrote. one less dropped pass would give him a better rating, not a worse one. and it isn't even remotely true even if you reverse it. thompson's cp is around 50.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #133
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

Dylan has noticeably a better arm than shaw.. show me one throw of shaw in the past two years that compares to dylan
Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #134
Sax1031
Blue Chip

Male

Sax1031 has feathers coming inSax1031 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
He made throws Saturday where he threaded the needle in a TIGHT window between two defenders and his his man in the numbers.
he also made about 4-5 throws that would have been easy interceptions for good defenders.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #135
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
I agree Thompson has a good arm (maybe not on Mitchell's level) but a good arm. I also agree he made throws Shaw couldn't make since injured shoulder or not he's not likely to throw all the way accross the field.

That being said his completion percentage was still only just above 50% and for every needle he threade he missed the broad side of the barn with another. I think the reality is they are both above average QBs and they both have strengths and weaknesses. However if the weakness we're comparing are not putting the ball up when there may not be an open receiver versus throwing it up to see what happens and occasionally having a big play and occasionally throwing a pick I'd rather have the guy that's less likely to turn the ball over.
3 straight plays of holding on to it too long, scrambling right and collapsing into the arms of a linebacker followed by a punt is a type of "turnover".
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #136
CockpetBagger
Banned, James Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100550
CockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot material

Not only is Shaw 16-3 as a starter, but his 3 losses all came on the road to top 10 teams.
CockpetBagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #137
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
go back and think about what you wrote. one less dropped pass would give him a better rating, not a worse one. and it isn't even remotely true even if you reverse it. thompson's cp is around 50.
I don't know if you read it wrong or if I wrote it totally confusing. The point I was trying to make is that Dylan's QB rating is only 22 points below Shaw's. One more 20 yard completion for Dylan and they're pretty much equal.
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #138
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Connor gives us a better chance to win against stout defenses because of his ability to run out of the pocket. Dylan has the better arm, but he looks like a bag of dirty laundry when he starts running.

16-3. Nuff said.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #139
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Look guys....What you really have to understand what Dylan did against ECU and klempzun was due to the fact they dont have SEC defensive lines and their not even close.....Thats why Shaw is perfect for us right now,until WE get an offensive line that can line up and beat a SEC defensive line on a regular basis we are going to have to have a mobile QB like Shaw to move around a bit and keep the defenses honest...
Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #140
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
Look guys....What you really have to understand what Dylan did against ECU and klempzun was due to the fact they dont have SEC defensive lines and their not even close.....Thats why Shaw is perfect for us right now,until WE get an offensive line that can line up and beat a SEC defensive line on a regular basis we are going to have to have a mobile QB like Shaw to move around a bit and keep the defenses honest...
I don't understand this arguement. When has Shaw ever blasted a great SEC D? Shaw has thrown for 300 yards only twice. And it was agast uk and a terrible Arky squad. USB and Clemson. Not that big of a drop off.

Spurrier said ot best "everytime he starts ot seems he throws 300 yards and three TDs."

People act like shaw rips up good Ds
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote