CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
usc1
The Yancey
Gamecocks1137
FanofCarolina1
kingofnerf
Travelin
Decommitment from Te (1259)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (906)
Cleveland Browns Hea (777)
Garcia and Clemsux T (725)
Four USC Basketball (403)
Former Gamecock root (394)
Need a dog kennel (332)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (257)
Props to Eric Hyman. (242)
Bowl packages (226)
Franks boy's are playing
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
My early Monday dinner .
looks like we have 2 OL r
The Vent and Coaching cha
Former Gamecock rooting f
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
QB Next Season?
Decommitment from Texas A
2014 Subway Classic:**USC

Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
scgamecocks1984
5 Star QB

Male

CockyCash: 500
scgamecocks1984 has hatched from the shell
Default Steve Taneyhill

Clemson would hate us 1,000x what they already do, but who cares about Clemsux?LOL

What would people think about Steve Taneyhill, in future years, after G.A. Mangus days are over, becoming a QB coach at the Univ. of South Carolina?Then working his way up to OC and eventually a Head Coaching position for us when it was time to hire a new head coach if he did good as an OC and QB coach........

I mean the guys proven himself by taking more than one team to state at the high school level, winning state at the high school level, there's nothing left for him to prove at the high school level.

I dont know that he would ever be interested or if he is content being a high school coach from now on......but considering his history with the University and his success as a high school coach I think it would be worth a shot one day to try him out and see how he does at the college level.

Granted, Steve Spurrier will be with us as long as he wants to coach because he has brought us too far to abandon him and frankly we would be stupid to let him go before he is ready to retire but its just a thought.

I would love to see Taneyhill on the sidelines one day coaching our Quarterbacks or maybe the whole offense or as a Head Coach if he did good as a QB and OC.

Thoughts from others?
scgamecocks1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
Braveguy06
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1022
Braveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his clawsBraveguy06 is sharpening his claws
Default Re: Steve Taneyhill

I hated him as the Chesterfield Rams headcoach because im a Cheraw Brave but the man is a football.genious. I would be all for it.
Braveguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
scgamecocks1984
5 Star QB

Male

scgamecocks1984 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveguy06 View Post
I hated him as the Chesterfield Rams headcoach because im a Cheraw Brave but the man is a football.genious. I would be all for it.

i dont know how he would do at the college level, thats why i say do like you would with any other coach and start him as an assistant and work him up......theres a big difference in coaching high school and college ball.but i would be all for tryin him out
scgamecocks1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Steve could certainly succeed at the collegiate level despite the rigorous requirements and investment of time required. My brother has mentioned that the time spent recruiting (on the road) is not attractive to him as he enjoys being with his family more (he coaches HS ball). But it is up to the individual... I believe Steve may have had overtures from colleges already.
catdaddy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

This thread topic comes up at least once or twice a year.

For starters, winning 1 state title in HS does not mean you have "nothing left to prove." Consistency in a program is what counts. Ask Gene Chizik how that works on the college level.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

He will never have a job at SC while Spurrier is here.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

no way..steve is the mullet man from the 90s who signed the paw..lets leave that as his legacy.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
He will never have a job at SC while Spurrier is here.
I thought Spurrier did some things to repair the relationship the University had w/ Taneyhill when he got here? That would show something at least, not that I believe he would get a job.

Also, I would hate to get locked into a Bobo-esque situation.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

He'd have to put in for openings...he'd probably get a bite somewhere if looking.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
ThrustingCock
Walk On

Male

ThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spurs

If im not mistaken, he had a little dynasty building there in Chesterfield. And from what ive heard hes doing pretty good at Union. But him moving to a college gig would not be a smart decision for a family man. Hes getting payed bookoos now and he gets benefits like shit tons of free time i cant see him leaving hs for collegiate fball
ThrustingCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Love him, but highly unlikely. I'd imagine if the college game was his desire, he'd have been in it by now.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
theroost
Walk On

Male

theroost has feathers coming intheroost has feathers coming in

Darryl Slater of the P&C did an interview with Taneyhill not too long ago. The subject of coaching at the collegiate level came up, and basically Taneyhill said he wasn't interested. He said he had a hard enough time obeying a coach as a player, and he hated the one year he was an assistant because of the lack of control. Basically, he's a rebel and he'll never, ever be any good.

Here's the link: http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...PC20/121109942
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post

For starters, winning 1 state title in HS does not mean you have "nothing left to prove." Consistency in a program is what counts. Ask Gene Chizik how that works on the college level.
Taneyhill has won 3 State Championships and appeared in 5 State Championship games. He's now 80-26 as a coach
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I think ST is happy coaching high school.
Go Union (only thing that would make it sweeter is if they held states at Death Valley lol...happy homecoming Steve!
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
pimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I think ST is happy coaching high school.
Go Union (only thing that would make it sweeter is if they held states at Death Valley lol...happy homecoming Steve!
Basically what I was thinking... I think he's happy on the high school level. More power to him.
pimpingamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 19222586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

He's kicking azz!
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
mrcock
Recruit

Male

mrcock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMonticelloCock View Post
Taneyhill has won 3 State Championships and appeared in 5 State Championship games. He's now 80-26 as a coach
Good to see someone knows something about Taneyhill's record!
mrcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
bcgibson75
Starter

Male

bcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPit

Being from the Upstate, I kinda hoped that Taneyhill would consider moving up to good ole' Dorman High when coach Dave Gutshall decides to retire.

Heck, it's like a small college--facilities wise--and he'll have plenty of time to be up in a deerstand (he loves his huntin').
Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
Sir Cuss
Two Deep

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post

Consistency:

8-man team in Greenwood: 5 years, 2 state championships, 1 runner-up
Chesterfield: (team that won 3 games in 2 years before him) 7 years, 3 state championships, 2 runner up
Union: (currently) 1 year, going to state

Horrible.

As head coach: 13 years (went to state 9 of those years)

I think I have my stats right; it might have only been 6 years at Chesterfield with one runner up.

Sir Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroost View Post
Darryl Slater of the P&C did an interview with Taneyhill not too long ago. The subject of coaching at the collegiate level came up, and basically Taneyhill said he wasn't interested. He said he had a hard enough time obeying a coach as a player, and he hated the one year he was an assistant because of the lack of control. Basically, he's a rebel and he'll never, ever be any good.

Here's the link: http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...PC20/121109942

TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote