CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
b381l
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
Thenardier
GoldenSpur7
ccured
robgusc76
Gyle41386
ucan'tlickourcocks
Mangus now coaching (1868)
Can Tennessee get to (1278)
ESPN Article on HBC (1028)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (830)
Spread vs. aTm (769)
2 Crazy things (766)
Lindy's top 100 for (727)
Chick Redefines the (725)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (621)
The Bama series (506)
Dylan Moses: The first fr
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Alabama @ South Carolina
Spread vs. aTm
Mangus now coaching TEs
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
Can Tennessee get to a Bo

View Poll Results: Shaw or Thompson?
Shaw 165 51.24%
Thompson 157 48.76%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #141
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 200
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Shaw or Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
I don't understand this arguement. When has Shaw ever blasted a great SEC D? Shaw has thrown for 300 yards only twice. And it was agast uk and a terrible Arky squad. USB and Clemson. Not that big of a drop off.

Spurrier said ot best "everytime he starts ot seems he throws 300 yards and three TDs."

People act like shaw rips up good Ds
....Where is it that I stated Shaw blasted a SEC defense....??...Im just stating that if not for Shaw being able to run out of the pocket and make things happen we would have lost a lot more ballgames than we have in the last 2 years.....Our Oline is not quite there yet and Shaws mobility negates some of the problems we have had there...
Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #142
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Not to mention as of right now...Shaw will end up winning more ballgames than any QB in the history of our program....He is a winner and will contiune to be...
Old 11-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #143
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
Connor gives us a better chance to win against stout defenses because of his ability to run out of the pocket. Dylan has the better arm, but he looks like a bag of dirty laundry when he starts running.

16-3. Nuff said.
I'd counter that good defenses more or less negate his running. He had negative yards against both FLA and LSU this year, 42 against Nebraska in the bowl but only 2.2 a carry. Georgia this year is the only team he's been rather successful running on a good defense.
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #144
doc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 380
doc has feathers coming indoc has feathers coming indoc has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
3 straight plays of holding on to it too long, scrambling right and collapsing into the arms of a linebacker followed by a punt is a type of "turnover".
That's why DT needs more snaps.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #145
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

I wanna see DT play against a good D before I crown him the starter.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #146
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
Connor gives us a better chance to win against stout defenses because of his ability to run out of the pocket. Dylan has the better arm, but he looks like a bag of dirty laundry when he starts running.

16-3. Nuff said.
But his ability to run out of the pocket is negated by his inability to check down to his receivers or get rid of the ball in a timely fashion. It makes the offense incredibly 1-dimensional.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #147
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by klempsux View Post
I'd counter that good defenses more or less negate his running. He had negative yards against both FLA and LSU this year, 42 against Nebraska in the bowl but only 2.2 a carry. Georgia this year is the only team he's been rather successful running on a good defense.
Exactly. And once good teams negate his running and he himself negates his passing, we lose.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #148
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

We also have to remember that Shaw has been hurt for the last month and a half...That is one reason Shaws running stats have been lacking in the last 4 games or so.....
Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #149
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
We also have to remember that Shaw has been hurt for the last month and a half...That is one reason Shaws running stats have been lacking in the last 4 games or so.....
That's why I didn't bring up his equally poor rushing stats against Tenn, Ark, Wofford.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #150
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

It would be interesting to know how the same people would have voted back in the beginning of the season.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #151
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Kapernik
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #152
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
....Where is it that I stated Shaw blasted a SEC defense....??...Im just stating that if not for Shaw being able to run out of the pocket and make things happen we would have lost a lot more ballgames than we have in the last 2 years.....Our Oline is not quite there yet and Shaws mobility negates some of the problems we have had there...
I wasn't really talking about you. Haha. Just in general.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #153
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Agreed

Remember, He has been hurt ALL SEASON LONG. I have a feeling that when the spring game comes around, his performance will change a lot of peoples opinions about him.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #154
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Shaw got hurt against Vandy and I don't think he has fully recovered the entire season.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #155
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 View Post
Agreed

Remember, He has been hurt ALL SEASON LONG. I have a feeling that when the spring game comes around, his performance will change a lot of peoples opinions about him.
What's going to happen in the Spring game that will be worth noting.....remember, no hitting the QB so I don't put much into the spring game for QB's.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:54 AM   #156
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Granted, Shaw has been hurt this season, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that last season one of the greatest receivers we have ever had (Alshon Jeffery just to be clear) had a dismal year because we (Shaw) could not get the ball to him on anything close to a consistent basis. What were Ace Sanders' numbers like? Passing is not his forte, running is, and to be the team we claim to want to be, we are going to have to have a balanced offensive attack.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #157
Bozy
Proud Citizen of Cockland

Male

Bozy has hatched from the shell

When I saw how many pages, I decided not to read. Since the first game I saw DT, I noticed his "range" of passing the ball to many different receivers.

He sees the field in a way that Shaw can't. He sees the entire field, all the receivers, and knows where they should be, and throws it so when they come out of their cuts or moves, the ball is there.

Shaw can't make the throws he can. Please, look at the stats. When Shaw plays, over 90% of our receivers are nullified because he just won't throw to them. It is clear he does not trust them, and had rather run to be the hero. DT, lets the receivers be the stars and get the glory. Shaw is a glory hound or else he would hang in there, see the entire field and get the ball to the receivers instead of looking for any excuse to run it himself.

We need a QB who can throw, Shaw can't. He can only get in it the "general area" of a receiver, and then, he will only look for one receiver on each play and that is always his favorite. Remember how many times last year he did not throw to the open man instead always trying to hit AJ with the ball?

However, I think he makes a great backup.
Bozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #158
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

The thing I always love about threads like this is the contradictions that always come from people who are trying to support the same opinion.

We've learned that Alshon had a bad season last year because Shaw wouldn't throw him the ball but the rest of the receivers also had bad years because Shaw wouldn't throw the ball to anyone but Alshon.

We also know that Shaw doesn't see the field because he only looks for his favorite receiver and misses the open guys but if you look at the box scores from Shaw's starts you'll often see 7+ different receivers with receptions so he must have a lot of favorite receivers.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #159
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by klempsux View Post
I don't think people are saying Shaw is a bad player or anything, they just want him to get the ball out. If he starts reading the defense and going through progressions instead of taking off, he could be elite. Dylan has half as many yards as Shaw does (counting their net rushing yards) in a third as many games. I'll grant you that he hasn't played as many good defenses as Shaw, but against the great defenses you claim Shaw has proven himself against, he has 249 passing yards which is less than any game Dylan has started. Dylan also had more yards against Florida than Shaw did. Dylan's QB rating is also a mere 22 points less than Shaw's, despite the fact that he will try to throw down the field, if that's what you want to hang your hat on.
Dylan should have half as many with the D's he has played against...given what Connor has done against bad D's...common sense tells you Connor would have done just as good if not better than what Dylan did. And the good D's I am referring to wasn't just limited to this year...he played some good passing D's last year. Dylan did have about 10 more yards than Shaw BUT he threw a pic too...and this has been my point. While I want Connor to get the ball out a little quicker like most do...he holds it to make sure he is making the right pass...and I would rather have that than a pic ANY DAY!!! And Dylan don't throw down field that much more than Connor...QB rating is 22 pts higher but Dylan only throws one more yard per attempt than Connor! Lol Numbers don't lie!

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #160
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
The thing I always love about threads like this is the contradictions that always come from people who are trying to support the same opinion.

We've learned that Alshon had a bad season last year because Shaw wouldn't throw him the ball but the rest of the receivers also had bad years because Shaw wouldn't throw the ball to anyone but Alshon.

We also know that Shaw doesn't see the field because he only looks for his favorite receiver and misses the open guys but if you look at the box scores from Shaw's starts you'll often see 7+ different receivers with receptions so he must have a lot of favorite receivers.
Shaw only looks for 1 receiver. He will complete passes to multiple guys, but he's locked in on that guy as its usually the dump off pass.