CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
pitchcock
cockybusiness2
LeeSC
COCKYTALKIN
SCohioBoy
Cockypantherfan
gadeneer1986
Waldrop doubtful for (1452)
We Have A New KO Guy (1303)
If we loose to Kensu (1192)
The New Idea That'll (978)
I'm over the loss, b (610)
Why not Nosovich @ T (417)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (382)
So What? (353)
Land For Sale (254)
Ole Miss football pr (233)
We Have A New KO Guy
OSU Coach Takes Down Disr
HBC Weekly Presser
Win at Ky
KY Suspends 4 Players for
Thoughts on the basketbal
Why not Nosovich @ TE?
How to get USC vs KY Stre
UK promoting a blackout f
If we loose to Kensucky..

View Poll Results: Shaw or Thompson?
Shaw 165 51.24%
Thompson 157 48.76%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #221
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007
Default Re: Shaw or Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
LOL. WHAT DEFENSES? Georgia (all 6 passes)? What are the better defenses. PLEASE tell me. And PLEASE tell me how Connor is a better physical passer w/o saying "NUMBERS DEFENSES BRO!"
Wonder why neither of you have mentioned the Tenn game?! Why? Bc he can throw it around against a bad D better than Dylan maybe?!!!! BAHAHAHA

NUMBERS DON'T LIE BUDDY...SORRY YOU ARE TOO BIASED AND DELUSIONAL TO SEE THAT!!!

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #222
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
Wtf. Your logic.. Is just bad.

You keep saying Connor has faced tougher Ds. Yes we all know this. But it doesn't matter because he's ne'er done anything aganst these "tougher" Ds. Shaw's only good passing games are aganst bad Ds. Same as DT. You have no point there. And that seems to be your main point. I mean heck he played wofford the week before Clemson and looked horrible. No doubt in my mind DT would have thrown 300 aganst them.
Sorry you are too slow to understand...I will try to dumb it down for you more.
When a QB plays a good D vs a bad D...their numbers are going to typically go down. Connor has faced good D's and bad D's and Dylan has only faced bad D's which means Dylan SHOULD have better numbers...but he don't!
Get it now?

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #223
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
You completely ignored the fact that Connor threw two shitty passes that were picked off but our guys went and snatched the ball.

And um what? You just agreed with me... His two TDs were what I was talking about... Lol
It's football...that happens...Dylan could have EASILY thrown a handful of pics against Clemson...but some were dropped & some our WRs made good plays on...buts funny how you only see that with Connor & not Dylan

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #224
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Hey grip, here's one thing we can agree on. I hope Mitch comes in and blows it away. Would be nice to have a heisman winning QB ;)
Here here!!

I'm with you on that Pant! While I am extremely excited to have 2 quality QBs and get to watch them battle it out with Noso...I am ready to see Mitch behind center & see what he can do!

One other thing we can agree on...it's a great time to be a GAMECOCK!!!!

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #225
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
If you remove the Mizzou game Shaw's completion percentage drops all the way down to 64% which the last time I checked is still significantly higher than 50% for Thompson.

As for spreading the ball around you can look at the box scores for a comparison of how many different guys catch the ball. I'm not talking about hitting 3 different guys 6 times a piece but rather 6 or more guys making catches.

The YPC makes a difference when you're trying to compare the guys and claiming one guy only throws short easy passes. If this was the case then his yards per completion average should be significantly lower.

Of course I think the lesson here is that when facts and stats don't support your point just discredit them and keep on spinning.
Right. Because explaining why your use of "check downs" was erroneous is just "spinning". As far as "the stats": I've said that it's difficult to refute them given Thompson's small sample size. As far as "the facts", saying that Thompson is a better passer and opens up the offense more (or not) is an opinion. So let's at least try and keep our semantics straight.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #226
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
Yes...and I watch EVERY GAME...either from the stands...or on tv...several times over again! And u do realize that someone's numbers can become incredibly skewed according to the defenses they face right?! Don't forget that part!

I honestly think Montana is better...not bc of rings & wins...bc I know for a fact that it takes TEAMS to win those...but Montana was a great QB & made the best of what he had...and found ways to win...Connor does the same thing!
Now Connor is Joe Montana. Jesus.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #227
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Here here!!

I'm with you on that Pant! While I am extremely excited to have 2 quality QBs and get to watch them battle it out with Noso...I am ready to see Mitch behind center & see what he can do!

One other thing we can agree on...it's a great time to be a GAMECOCK!!!!

Yes sir!! It sure is. This spring is gonna be somethin else.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #228
pantera17
Banned

Male

pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Lol he brought up montana cause i used him as an example lol
Old 11-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #229
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Wonder why neither of you have mentioned the Tenn game?! Why? Bc he can throw it around against a bad D better than Dylan maybe?!!!! BAHAHAHA

NUMBERS DON'T LIE BUDDY...SORRY YOU ARE TOO BIASED AND DELUSIONAL TO SEE THAT!!!
I've mentioned the Tennessee game repeatedly. Here's why you referencing that doesn't help your point: THEY HAVE A BAD DEFENSE. Dylan plays a bad Defense and your response is: "THEY WERE A BAD DEFENSE SO IT DOESN'T MATTER". So which is it?

(And no; he can't "throw it around better than Dylan". Connor barely throws the ball as of late and he certainly isn't as good a physical passer as Dylan, which gets to the heart of this argument between "stats" and "performance".)
Old 11-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #230
pantera17
Banned

Male

Sorry i cant type out big clear responses roght now. On my girls iphone. Ill get back in when i get home
Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #231
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

I just love that it's so disrespectful to find any fault w/ Connor but it's okay to say "anyone could've done what Thompson did against Clemson" and "he's only done it against crappy teams", etc. Where's the Thompson respect?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #232
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Wow! Yeah...that's exactly what I was saying!

(Face palm)

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #233
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
I've mentioned the Tennessee game repeatedly. Here's why you referencing that doesn't help your point: THEY HAVE A BAD DEFENSE. Dylan plays a bad Defense and your response is: "THEY WERE A BAD DEFENSE SO IT DOESN'T MATTER". So which is it?

(And no; he can't "throw it around better than Dylan". Connor barely throws the ball as of late and he certainly isn't as good a physical passer as Dylan, which gets to the heart of this argument between "stats" and "performance".)
Sorry buddy...I am simply showing you that Connor has played better than Dylan against bad D's...that is all. Sorry u r having a hard time seeing that...but again...it's facts. Never once said IT DOESN'T MATTER...thanks for trying to put words in my mouth though.

So Connor throwing 4 TDs in one game & 356 yards in another game isn't PROOF that Connor throws it around better?! Do you have any PROOF other than your biased opinion that states otherwise?

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #234
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
I just love that it's so disrespectful to find any fault w/ Connor but it's okay to say "anyone could've done what Thompson did against Clemson" and "he's only done it against crappy teams", etc. Where's the Thompson respect?
I have said Dylan did a good job against ECU, UAB, & Clemson...I am proud of him & very happy for him. I like Dylan...as I have stated many times before...he is a great Christian young man & I respect him a lot...but the fact still remains...he hasn't PROVEN as much as Connor...just that simple!

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #235
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

too much talk about Mitch...everyone loves guys who have never played a snap...

its a tough call. Neither are elite QBs, but both are good at what they do when healthy. When both healthy its a tough call...
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #236
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

I don't think anyone would really argue that Shaw is a better pure passer than Thompson. However simply throwing the ball around doesn't make you the better QB. If that were the case Jeff George would have won a SuperBowl and Trent Dilfer would have just bounced around the NFL eventually being cut.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #237
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
I don't think anyone would really argue that Shaw is a better pure passer than Thompson. However simply throwing the ball around doesn't make you the better QB. If that were the case Jeff George would have won a SuperBowl and Trent Dilfer would have just bounced around the NFL eventually being cut.
And I think it's incredibly reductive to say that all Thompson does is "simply throwing the ball around". Looking for your first WR then scrambling right and collapsing into a LB's arms doesn't make you a better QB either.

Look, it's not like I don't want Shaw to succeed; I was as excited as anyone coming into this season. But starting w/ the Vandy game there was an undeniable hesitancy to throw the ball and it's continued throughout the season. That's not to say he DOESN'T EVER throw the ball or he hasn't had moments of great QB play, but by and large watching the offense w/ Shaw under center has been an exercise in frustration. Some of this is O-Line play, some of this is injury, but to not acknowledge the very blatant evidence that our WRs aren't being utilized is overlooking what's (seemingly, to me at least) obvious.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #238
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

The two best defenses that CS has faced this season have been LSU and Florida...I think we all know how those games went. Connor has done some great things for us, but looking at the last drive of the LSU game (two passes over the middle to Marcus) and the first drive against Florida should tell you all that you need to know about him being a complete QB.

To those that say that all DT does is "throw the ball around", all I have to say is at least he will throw the ball around and give his team and team mates a chance to make a play.

Who here thinks that CS would have completed the third TD to Ellington against clemson? I say, "No chance. He would have been been getting up from having been tackled before Ellington broke open."
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #239
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
The two best defenses that CS has faced this season have been LSU and Florida...I think we all know how those games went. Connor has done some great things for us, but looking at the last drive of the LSU game (two passes over the middle to Marcus) and the first drive against Florida should tell you all that you need to know about him being a complete QB.

To those that say that all DT does is "throw the ball around", all I have to say is at least he will throw the ball around and give his team and team mates a chance to make a play.

Who here thinks that CS would have completed the third TD to Ellington against clemson? I say, "No chance. He would have been been getting up from having been tackled before Ellington broke open."
I hate to say it but I agree.. hell even Garcia would have made that throw.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:35 AM   #240
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110000
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeEM View Post
I still like a healthy Shaw over Thompson.

Shaw brings a lot to the table when playing better DLs. His abilty to run and scramble to make plays with his legs is criticle.

But I like Thompson over a gimpy Shaw. Thompson is more of a threat throwing and if Shaw can not run at 90% + then Thompson needs to play.

Next year could get real intresting if Dylan continues to progress. Don't forget Conner Mitch, I'm predicting he breaks some passing records here if he stays healthy..
THIS... unfortunately for Shaw I think he was never 100% this year from the Vandy game on.