CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
cocksmith1or11
NAGamecockFan
ReadR00ster
kingofnerf
BigRedCock
El Cid Ranger
Goofyboy
rrsandersjr
Freshman ND WR " (923)
Call of Duty: Advanc (548)
Good Riddance to bad (493)
Keeping tailgate foo (333)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (311)
Bashing Players, coa (262)
The Comeback & T (262)
An A to Z of Noah We (227)
Wallpaper & Back (128)
Instrumental Music ( (116)
Texas athletic director:
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
The Comeback & The Bl
Rank the QBs under Spurri
TeMarcus Blanton
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Bashing Players, coaches,
Why I think we beat Aubur
Wallpaper & Backgroun

Old 01-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material
Default Re: TV Ratings and Attendance, how the Cap One Made Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCWarHorse View Post
If anyone doubts that the Big Ten and Pac-12 get shown favoritism by the 4 letter network, just look at the fact that they will never put an SEC or Big 12 game up against that game. Why? They know that game will do better than the granddaughter of them all.

Words can not express how much I loathe The Mothership - outside of SVP, Mike Tirico, and a handful of other people. I don't throw around the word hate much, but I hate the Rust Belt.
The SEC gets just as much love. They have 2 guys that have their own damn show (Jessie Palmer and David Pollack) and they know nothing outside of their own programs (SEC programs)

I also don't know what you're talking about, but have there ever been BCS bowls like that at the same time (Well in the BCS era?)

every game is on at a different time, and the Rose Bowl has been at it's same slot on NYD for years before ESPN was even a channel. (from 52-88 the Game was broadcasted by NBC in it's same 2pm PST NYD time slot) and has always been the most watched of that year.

The Rose Bowl negotiates it's own contract unlike the other BCS Bowls.

I do believe the way ESPN has taken over the Bowls ruins it. I'd much rather hear Gus Johnson doing multiple BCS Bowls. I will like Gruden/Tirico doing the Orange Bowl tonight.

EDIT: oh and Also the SEC does get higher ratings than the Rose Bowl. In the National Title game.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian

Last edited by I Bleed Garnet; 01-04-2012 at 06:46 PM.
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #22
USCWarHorse
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
USCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his comb

Tirico is the best play-by-play guy by far that ESPN has. The team of Jaws and Gruden is their best combo of analysts/commentators or whatever you want to call them.

Jaws loved playing the game and you can tell it when he analyzes it. Gruden is one of those coaches that can see the potential in almost every player - whether it be future HOFer or a guy who fits one role perfectly.
USCWarHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #23
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCWarHorse View Post
Tirico is the best play-by-play guy by far that ESPN has. The team of Jaws and Gruden is their best combo of analysts/commentators or whatever you want to call them.

Jaws loved playing the game and you can tell it when he analyzes it. Gruden is one of those coaches that can see the potential in almost every player - whether it be future HOFer or a guy who fits one role perfectly.
Ya they're doing the Orange Bowl tonight.

I understand it's clemson, but those 3, lack of defense/a lot of scoring. This could be an entertaining game to watch.

#LukeForMod

Old 01-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #24
eaddy1847
Gamecock Since 1976

Male

CockyCash: 800
eaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
What was the attendance in the LSU Penn State game 2 years ago? I went to that one and it looked pretty full.

I'm happy the attendance was so high. It bodes well for our odds for being invited back to a big game like that.

According to the fan guide, that game was 63,025.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
eaddy1847
Gamecock Since 1976

Male

eaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockRoche View Post
It really didn't stand out because of similar colors, but some of the folks on a Nebraska forum were complaining about having too many Carolina fans on their side. I guess a lot of people might have bought on that side to avoid upper deck and corner seats.

There were way more Carolina fans than NU fans there. I sat on the Carolina side but I remember thinking I could see lots of Cocks fans cheering on their side when we made big plays.

In the parking lot, it seemed we outnumbered them 5 to 1. I was in lot R, so maybe NU fans were on the other side of the stadium, but even at FanFest there seemed to be a lot more Gamecocks than Huskers.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #26
USCWarHorse
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
USCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his combUSCWarHorse is developing his comb

I heard that corn ethanol subsidies were cut recently, so that had to hurt their wallets.
USCWarHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #27
eaddy1847
Gamecock Since 1976

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaddy1847 View Post
TV Ratings of the three bowl games played at 1PM Jan 2nd:

1. Outback 5.0
2. Capital One 2.5
3. Gator 2.2

Attendance:

1. Capital One 61,351
2. Gator 61,312
3. Outback 49,429

I think that's pretty good. Outback was the only one on network TV so you had to assume it would get a boost there. Attendance wise, fans of both schools in the Cap One had to travel further than the teams in the Gator or Outback. i.e. USC was the furthest distance SEC school and Nebraska was the furthest distance Big Ten school.

Overall TV ratings were down significantly from last year, but that only makes the point I made in other threads that ESPN was dumb to put all these games on at the same exact time fighting each other for ratings. Plus it didn't help they were on January 2nd...

http://jacksonville.com/sports/colle...ew-years-bowls
I am reviving this thread because I am quite irked at the TV arrangement for the bowls (namely the SEC and ESPN deal). Trying not to whine, but it's really hard not to LOL.

Capital One was always the best bowl of the non-BCS games because it had the best New Years Day slot, an afternoon game leading into the Rose Bowl on NETWORK television. It was on ABC network while Outback and Gator were on cable.

Last year, for whatever reason the "powers at be" switched and put the Outback Bowl on ABC and demoted the Cap One to cable. The UGA/Mich State Outback Bowl ended up with twice as many viewers as the Cap One, hey bad economy and lots don't have cable. I know a boatlead of people opting out of cable when money is tight.

So now this year rolls around and we switch places with UGA, they are in Cap One with Nebraska while we go to Outback. We are playing Michigan which is better draw than last year's UGA and Michigan State.

However, they have switched it back and Outback is back on cable and Cap One is on Network. That totally pisses me off. It shows without a doubt that UGA gets preferential TV spots, despite us beating them three years in a row and BADLY this year!! Plus Nebraska just got waxed in their conference championship game.

It stinks that we are constantly given the shaft by the decision makers to the SEC traditional programs. We are recruiting against UGA and we are never given a fair slice of the pie.

Again look at the ratings from last year and UGA/Mich State had twice the viewership of Cap One. That's huge exposure for recruiting purposes and once again UGA is given some advantage through no fault of our own.

OK, done whining.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #28
Scootsbama
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Scootsbama has hatched from the shell

As was pointed out in the thread, the Outback Bowl last year was also a 3OT game, which could have skewed the viewership some, although I'm not saying that it accounts for 2 points. I think with the matchups this year, the Outback Bowl will get a much closer rating to the Capital One Bowl because of the Michigan matchup.
Scootsbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #29
eaddy1847
Gamecock Since 1976

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootsbama View Post
As was pointed out in the thread, the Outback Bowl last year was also a 3OT game, which could have skewed the viewership some, although I'm not saying that it accounts for 2 points. I think with the matchups this year, the Outback Bowl will get a much closer rating to the Capital One Bowl because of the Michigan matchup.

I did forget that part but I would wonder how only the last half hour of a game affected how they determine the whole game viewership. Do they average out the game or go by peak to determine the rating?

Hope your prediction is accurate. One thing we do have working for us is that we do lead into the Rose Bowl, so early flippers will tune into the end of our game as a "leadway."

Feel a little better now (watching DVR of Bowl Selection Special, delay) knowing that we at least are not in 3-way competition like last year with Gator as well. It being moved to Noon should help TV exposure. Only us versus UGA/Nebraska in the 1-4PM slow. That's much more solid.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #30
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

I think it's pretty normal for network games to have significantly higher ratings than espn games

I think more people are more likely to just have a game on if it's on a network channel and would be less likely to go out of their way to the ESPN's and just watch it.

But yeah, I don't really know that either way. I didn't know that the outback wasn't going to be on network this year, though. That was one of the reasons I kind of wanted us to go to it because I knew it would get more viewers on ABC..
Old 12-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #31
eaddy1847
Gamecock Since 1976

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
I think it's pretty normal for network games to have significantly higher ratings than espn games

I think more people are more likely to just have a game on if it's on a network channel and would be less likely to go out of their way to the ESPN's and just watch it.

But yeah, I don't really know that either way. I didn't know that the outback wasn't going to be on network this year, though. That was one of the reasons I kind of wanted us to go to it because I knew it would get more viewers on ABC..
Last year was the first year Outback was shown on Network TV. And the first year Capital One was shown on cable. Coincidence? I would have thought not until they conveniently switched it back this year!!

You are absolutley right, network TV always has higher ratings. I work in sales and visit a lot of poor people, many of them tell me they watch whatever they can get over the antenna. Lots of our recruits come from poor backgrounds, so hence my bad attitude about the network switcharoo.

Also last year was the first year ESPN carried all the BCS games. BCS games have always been Network. I argued last year (and still argue for that matter) that it's just plain wrong to only let people with financial means available to pay for cable/sat to be able to watch something as significant as college football championship.

No reason Bama/ND should be on ESPN. you should be able to watch the game from the comfort of your home without having to pay for cable. I think that's messed up but I am a lone voice and they are not listening to me, that's for sure!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #32
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

yeah, I didn't think the Outback had been on network for long, just didn't know it was last year when it changed- I just assumed it would stay the same like last year.

But you're right.. it is strange that they would change it back unless they have some sort of offsetting deal where they change out every year.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #33
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

2011 Game was also on ABC.
93-2010 was on ESPN

#LukeForMod

Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #34
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaddy1847 View Post
Last year was the first year Outback was shown on Network TV. And the first year Capital One was shown on cable. Coincidence? I would have thought not until they conveniently switched it back this year!!

You are absolutley right, network TV always has higher ratings. I work in sales and visit a lot of poor people, many of them tell me they watch whatever they can get over the antenna. Lots of our recruits come from poor backgrounds, so hence my bad attitude about the network switcharoo.

Also last year was the first year ESPN carried all the BCS games. BCS games have always been Network. I argued last year (and still argue for that matter) that it's just plain wrong to only let people with financial means available to pay for cable/sat to be able to watch something as significant as college football championship.

No reason Bama/ND should be on ESPN. you should be able to watch the game from the comfort of your home without having to pay for cable. I think that's messed up but I am a lone voice and they are not listening to me, that's for sure!

Did they switch it right after the bowl pairings were announced, or has this been known for quite some time?

I had thought that in order to intice the OB to pay more, the SEC and BIG allowed the OB to have some of the network time slots over the lnegth of the contracts and to no longer allow the Cap 1 to be the only game to start and run for an hour before the OB. The Gator is raising it's payout to try to get in on some of that action.

It might not be a grand conspiricy...rather due to our old friend...the dollar.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #35
eaddy1847
Gamecock Since 1976

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
2011 Game was also on ABC.
93-2010 was on ESPN

I just looked it up and IBG is right. The 2011 Outback Bowl was on ABC when Meyer was retiring and it was his last game at Florida against Penn State.

Not sure when the TV was decided, I would definitely feel different had it been in the contract for months prior to the team selection.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #36
Scootsbama
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Scootsbama has hatched from the shell

Part of this problem was also a change in the time slot. Before 2010, but not too much before then, the Outback Bowl would kickoff at 11:00 AM et. It would have a more independent time slot, but now it's been moved back into later in the afternoon as the Cotton Bowl was moved to a different day.
Scootsbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #37
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

South Carolina est 1788
Califorina est 1821 a state 1850

U of SC est 1801
U of S Cal est 1880

WE win!
uscgmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #38
eaddy1847
Gamecock Since 1976

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmck View Post
South Carolina est 1788
Califorina est 1821 a state 1850

U of SC est 1801
U of S Cal est 1880

WE win!

??? Trying to figure out how this relates to the thread discussion? I agree with your post but...