CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
l^l^lBGCock
I Bleed Garnet
Ericvol2096
taylorssc
COCKYTALKIN
thekob
gadeneer1986
gamecockgal
kingoftheroost
Interesting quotes f (1194)
We're going to the N (823)
Have you ever been s (716)
Tennessee Offense Br (592)
This season and recr (336)
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTIN (282)
Anyone have a recipe (265)
Women's Team Ranked (249)
Key for 2015 defense (180)
Favorite online flas (175)
Key for 2015 defense
Women's Team Ranked #2 In
Have you ever been so wro
Lebron makes Cleveland re
We're going to the NCAA T
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
SEC Coaches Dress Up for
Interesting quotes from D
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
Chances we win out now?

View Poll Results: Shaw or Thompson?
Shaw 165 51.24%
Thompson 157 48.76%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #241
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Shaw or Thompson

In Connor's check down game he average 12.5 yards per completion. Against Clemson where Thompson chucked it downfield he averaged 13.5 yards per completion. Those numbers don't really support the notion of it being bombed down the field significantly more by Thompson.

This all seams to come down to passing yardage for some which isn't a real indication of anything other than attempting a lot of passes in this case.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #242
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

It seems Shaw is winning by a "landslide" now. Of course that's completely relative to this poll. And to think someone made a thread at or near the beginning of the season talking about how we didn't have a QB controversy.

But, honestly, it doesn't matter how much of a QB controversy there is within the fanbase if the man in charge is settled on one guy.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #243
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
too much talk about Mitch...everyone loves guys who have never played a snap...

its a tough call. Neither are elite QBs, but both are good at what they do when healthy. When both healthy its a tough call...
mitch will be relegaed too the back seat evenually. let him have a few bad games and the wolves wil circle.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #244
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

TroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his comb

like tanner ?
TroubleCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #245
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

So it's shaw by 5 votes?

RECOUNT!!!!
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #246
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

I think we should use both
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #247
unspokenrespect
Recruit

Male

unspokenrespect is learning to peck

Thompson is the better qb. Its that simple.

I'm also tired of this "Shaw deserves to start" crap. You earn the starting spot which Thompson has done long ago. Spurrier is holding Thopmson back to be loyal to Shaw which is bull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercjason View Post
If I pay for a Porsche and I get a Mazda, yes I am ashamed. Thread fail-
unspokenrespect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #248
DJ35
Blue Chip

Male

DJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by unspokenrespect View Post
Thompson is the better qb. Its that simple.

I'm also tired of this "Shaw deserves to start" crap. You earn the starting spot which Thompson has done long ago. Spurrier is holding Thopmson back to be loyal to Shaw which is bull.
Spurrier's not holding Thompson back to be loyal to anyone. Shaw has EARNED the starting job and has done nothing to lose it. As I've said before, Dylan knows what his role is this year and he's fine with it. He has played well when called upon and if he is needed in the bowl game I'm sure he'll be ready. It's a no brainer... Connor Shaw should start.
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #249
Kuhn
Starter

Male

Kuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudly

I'd call 160 yards passing at home vs. Wofford (plus being scared to throw for almost the entire season) a perfectly good reason for Shaw to lose his job, injured or not.

We will not win the SEC until we have an all-SEC QB. Shaw is in no way close to EARNING that award. I'm for Dylan or someone who has poise and can see the whole field in a game, not practice, to get the job this spring
Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #250
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ35 View Post
Spurrier's not holding Thompson back to be loyal to anyone. Shaw has EARNED the starting job and has done nothing to lose it. As I've said before, Dylan knows what his role is this year and he's fine with it. He has played well when called upon and if he is needed in the bowl game I'm sure he'll be ready. It's a no brainer... Connor Shaw should start.
13 page discussion would indicate otherwise.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #251
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn View Post
I'd call 160 yards passing at home vs. Wofford (plus being scared to throw for almost the entire season) a perfectly good reason for Shaw to lose his job, injured or not.

We will not win the SEC until we have an all-SEC QB. Shaw is in no way close to EARNING that award. I'm for Dylan or someone who has poise and can see the whole field in a game, not practice, to get the job this spring
Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #252
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:

I'd say Connors 356 yards against Tenn & him leading us to 2 of the best seasons in Gamecock history gives Connor more than enough to earn the starting spot. Not only has Dylan not done as much & thrown for as much in a game...but he hasn't done that against 3 of the worse D's we have played!

Last edited by gripitandripit2007; 12-03-2012 at 08:35 PM.
gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #253
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
I'd say Connors 356 yards against Tenn & him leading us to 2 of the best seasons in Gamecock history gives Connor more than enough to earn the starting spot. Not only has Dylan not done as much & thrown for as much in a game...but he hasn't done that against 3 of the worse D's we have played!
Tennessee= one of the 4 worst Ds we've played. Wofford = FCS school.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #254
DJ35
Blue Chip

Male

DJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spurs

Quote:

I'm for anyone wearing the Garnet and Black first of all! That said, if Dylan or anyone else beats Connor Shaw out for the job this Spring then that's fine with me. That, IMO, is the way it should be done. But the QB for the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1 should be Connor Shaw.
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #255
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
Tennessee= one of the 4 worst Ds we've played. Wofford = FCS school.
EXACTLY!!
Dylan vs 3 of the worse D's we played didn't do what Connor did against one of the worse D's we played!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #256
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ35 View Post
I'm for anyone wearing the Garnet and Black first of all! That said, if Dylan or anyone else beats Connor Shaw out for the job this Spring then that's fine with me. That, IMO, is the way it should be done. But the QB for the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1 should be Connor Shaw.
Well said! Couldn't agree more!
I like Dylan...& if he PROVES to be better than Connor...he should start...but he hasn't PROVEN it against less than a mediocre D yet
Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #257
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
EXACTLY!!
Dylan vs 3 of the worse D's we played didn't do what Connor did against one of the worse D's we played!
But Shaw did lay an egg against an FCS school. So how does that factor in?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #258
Kuhn
Starter

Male

Kuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudly

Without Lattimore the Great (who imo, with the HBCs playcalling, lead us to all those wins) we need to be able to pass more. A lot more. Notice UFs offense when Harvin went pro, even Tebow had a tough time.

Next year, Carolina will be throwing it aroundand scoring a bunch of points. Don't see Shaw having the consistent (game-by-game; home or away) poise or vision to do that. I bet Spurrier will pull out all the stops to get to Atlanta next year. The HBC won't tolerate happy feet and passing timidity anymore. He can't and expect to win the East without Lattimore.
Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #259
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
He had a bad game & as has happened a lot this year...our OL wasn't giving him much time. But he still led 2 drives in the 4th qtr to win the game...including a TD throw to go up 2 scores
Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #260
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Didn't Shaw go 16/20 against Wofford? I know he threw the interception, but those numbers aren't what I would call "laying an egg". Yes, I realize the yardage wasn't much to brag about, but I still don't think your description is accurate.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote