CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
Sandstorm29
aftertwobowls
The Yancey
Regalcock
5lbYardcock
GregoryHouse
robgusc76
Cocks N Stuff
The Vent and Coachin (7584)
Disturbing comments (2937)
does anybody think w (2368)
2015 schedule is bru (1996)
UF lets Durkin go (1945)
2015 Early Enrollees (1576)
**USC Women vs. Hamp (1027)
SOS...a day late &am (982)
The U ends apparel d (651)
Bobo to Colorado St? (643)
2015 schedule is brutal
2015 - Ulric Jones
2015 Commitment - Sherrod
2015 Commitment - Ernest
QB Next Season?
2014-15 Early Enrollees
2015 Commitment - Dexter
Gerald Turner
2015 Commitment - Jalen H
The Vent and Coaching cha

View Poll Results: Shaw or Thompson?
Shaw 165 51.24%
Thompson 157 48.76%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #261
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Shaw or Thompson

I still don't understand this.

You keep saying Dylan hasn't proven anything aganst a good D. But neither has Connor...
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #262
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn View Post
Without Lattimore the Great (who imo, with the HBCs playcalling, lead us to all those wins) we need to be able to pass more. A lot more. Notice UFs offense when Harvin went pro, even Tebow had a tough time.

Next year, Carolina will be throwing it aroundand scoring a bunch of points. Don't see Shaw having the consistent (game-by-game; home or away) poise or vision to do that. I bet Spurrier will pull out all the stops to get to Atlanta next year. The HBC won't tolerate happy feet and passing timidity anymore. He can't and expect to win the East without Lattimore.
Like I have said numerous times...Spurrier and co. see these 2 giving their all in practice...each gets reps with the first team...& SOS said himself Connor is the best QB. If he didn't actually believe that...wouldn't he start Dylan more this year over an injured Connor?
gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #263
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
He had a bad game & as has happened a lot this year...our OL wasn't giving him much time. But he still led 2 drives in the 4th qtr to win the game...including a TD throw to go up 2 scores
No offense but Shaw could have 7 terrible games all back to back and you would still say keep Shaw the starter.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #264
pantera17
Banned

Male

pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
Didn't Shaw go 16/20 against Wofford? I know he threw the interception, but those numbers aren't what I would call "laying an egg". Yes, I realize the yardage wasn't much to brag about, but I still don't think your description is accurate.
He played very poor for the most part of the game. Then in the 4th he hit on a lot of short passes in a row. And hit ace for a short pass that he ran for like 15 yards for a TD. If I remember correctly.

Actually that seems to be how Connor gets most of his passing yards and passing TDs. Short passes or screens that are taken for big gains.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #265
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
I still don't understand this.

You keep saying Dylan hasn't proven anything aganst a good D. But neither has Connor...
Good griefs...not u again! Lol
I don't know how much better I can explain it to you. Last year Connor threw 4 td passes against a pretty highly ranked Kentucky pass D. (Pretty highly ranked as in top 40 or so)...there are others where he has done pretty good against...Nebraska had a pretty highly ranked D, so did Miss St. Given he didn't throw for 300 against them...but what I keep trying to get u to understand is...not even the best QBs in the country do that against good D's!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #266
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
No offense but Shaw could have 7 terrible games all back to back and you would still say keep Shaw the starter.
None taken...no offense to u either...but who are u to say what I WOULD do if the circumstances were different? Like I have said numerous times...I am behind who is PROVEN more...I like Dylan...but he has not PROVEN as much as Connor has yet
Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #267
pantera17
Banned

Male

Quote:
I don't know how much better I can explain it to you. Last year Connor threw 4 td passes against a pretty highly ranked Kentucky pass D. (Pretty highly ranked as in top 40 or so)...there are others where he has done pretty good against...Nebraska had a pretty highly ranked D, so did Miss St. Given he didn't throw for 300 against them...but what I keep trying to get u to understand is...not even the best QBs in the country do that against good D's!
He played well aganst UK. He plays alright aganst Nebraska. 230 yards. Nothing special. Then aganst miss st he was bad. Threw a horrible imt in the Endzone. Very lucky to have won that game. Had a nice drive to win tho. Which was impressive. Something Garcia never did I don't think.

I mean, he's been average man. At best. He don't carve up teams. He doesn't throw that well. He's just average. And a good runner when he is healthy.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #268
JQ94
4-Star

Male

JQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

You just name dropped Kentucky and Miss State....AND a Big 12 school, which notoriously hasn't had a good D aside from having Suh on their team.

These 3 schools are nowhere near "good schools"
Old 12-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #269
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
He played well aganst UK. He plays alright aganst Nebraska. 230 yards. Nothing special. Then aganst miss st he was bad. Threw a horrible imt in the Endzone. Very lucky to have won that game. Had a nice drive to win tho. Which was impressive. Something Garcia never did I don't think.

I mean, he's been average man. At best. He don't carve up teams. He doesn't throw that well. He's just average. And a good runner when he is healthy.
I agree with everything u said Pant...he has been average against good D's...esp SEC D's...but as I have mentioned and all seem to ignore...no good QB's do good against good SEC D's. Connor has been one of the top QBs in the SEC the past 2 years...& ranked top 15 in the country...& that is against the best D's in the country!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #270
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ94 View Post
You just name dropped Kentucky and Miss State....AND a Big 12 school, which notoriously hasn't had a good D aside from having Suh on their team.

These 3 schools are nowhere near "good schools"
Never said anything about playing "good schools"...I said "pretty good pass D"
Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #271
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn View Post
Without Lattimore the Great (who imo, with the HBCs playcalling, lead us to all those wins) we need to be able to pass more. A lot more. Notice UFs offense when Harvin went pro, even Tebow had a tough time.

Next year, Carolina will be throwing it aroundand scoring a bunch of points. Don't see Shaw having the consistent (game-by-game; home or away) poise or vision to do that. I bet Spurrier will pull out all the stops to get to Atlanta next year. The HBC won't tolerate happy feet and passing timidity anymore. He can't and expect to win the East without Lattimore.
This is no offense to Lattimore but Spurrier has to coach better without him. Spurrier becomes a better coach when he doesn't have to give it to Lattimore 30 times with a lead. We are a more balanced team play calling wise and teams have to prepare for us differently. We open it up more (Connor or Dylan) and I actually like our offense better.

With that said, Dylan forces too many 5 balls. He could have had 4 or 5 picks against Clemson. Thankfully he only had one. He can make throws Connor can't but it doesn't necessarily mean Dylan is a better QB.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #272
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Quote:
Like I have said numerous times...Spurrier and co. see these 2 giving their all in practice...each gets reps with the first team...& SOS said himself Connor is the best QB. If he didn't actually believe that...wouldn't he start Dylan more this year over an injured Connor?
We all understand that, but we all also understand that some players shine under the big lights and some are practice warriors. I don't think either of these QBs are on the extreme spectrum of that comparison, but you get the point. I'm ok with either one, but I am very interested to watch Dylan perform against a highly ranked defense. There were quite a few posters saying the same thing last year about Connor vs. Garcia. We all know how that ended up, how do we how this story will end? Could it possibly be yet another upgrade?

Historically I've never been one to pull for the backup QB, but the kid has shown potential. SOS said it himself, all Dylan seems to do is throw for 300 yards and 3 td's.

My biggest argument is, of which nobody has addressed, the fact that a pocket passer has a better chance of surviving in this league than a dual threat QB. Connor Shaw is, no doubt, tough as nails. But he doesn't have the frame of Tim Tebow, nor the athletic ability of Cam Newton.
COCKYTALKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #273
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post
We all understand that, but we all also understand that some players shine under the big lights and some are practice warriors. I don't think either of these QBs are on the extreme spectrum of that comparison, but you get the point. I'm ok with either one, but I am very interested to watch Dylan perform against a highly ranked defense. There were quite a few posters saying the same thing last year about Connor vs. Garcia. We all know how that ended up, how do we how this story will end? Could it possibly be yet another upgrade?

Historically I've never been one to pull for the backup QB, but the kid has shown potential. SOS said it himself, all Dylan seems to do is throw for 300 yards and 3 td's.

My biggest argument is, of which nobody has addressed, the fact that a pocket passer has a better chance of surviving in this league than a dual threat QB. Connor Shaw is, no doubt, tough as nails. But he doesn't have the frame of Tim Tebow, nor the athletic ability of Cam Newton.
I was one of the ones last year posting about wanting Connor to start...and to most...proved to be the better option. The same could very well happen with Dylan over Connor...and I am fine with it if it does. I am not a Connor homer...I am a huge Gamecock fan & am for whoever has proven to give us the best chance to win & that has been Connor.
To address your argument about a dual threat QB vs a pocket passer...I agree...Connor is no Tebow nor is he a Cam...he is a running QB who is faster than both & IMO can throw it better than both. He has been injured all year so I think this thread would have never been made if it weren't for that...but with a better OL and more experienced WRs...and a healthy Connor Shaw...it's gonna be exciting to see how much better our offense will be & who the starter is after the summer!

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #274
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

Connor opens up our running game more with the read but Thompson throws a better deep ball.

Spurrier will go with the guy with the most experience and who gives defenses more to prepare for especially since we aren't a dominant run team without lattimore.

Good move if you ask me. Dylan will play to though like SOS said.

And can you people cut the "he hasn't beaten anybody good" crap. We've beaten Georgia Florida Clemson and Tennessee with Connor. The reason those teams aren't as good as they were is because we're beating them now. Every great team is not 11-1 with a lone loss to South Carolina and Connor shaw. Some only have 8 wins (wisconsin) and others have 7 (southern cal). Plug whatever sec teams in here like vandy or Mississippi state.

We are a good team with Connor or Dylan and to down Connor after the career he has had for us so far is flat out stupid. I have confidence in both but ill take experience any day of the week.

Besides, spurrier has made his decision, the right one at that, and he's not gonna change because keyboarding joe thinks he knows more football than spurrier.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #275
KaneisAble
Banned

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
I was one of the ones last year posting about wanting Connor to start...and to most...proved to be the better option. The same could very well happen with Dylan over Connor...and I am fine with it if it does. I am not a Connor homer...I am a huge Gamecock fan & am for whoever has proven to give us the best chance to win & that has been Connor.
To address your argument about a dual threat QB vs a pocket passer...I agree...Connor is no Tebow nor is he a Cam...he is a running QB who is faster than both & IMO can throw it better than both. He has been injured all year so I think this thread would have never been made if it weren't for that...but with a better OL and more experienced WRs...and a healthy Connor Shaw...it's gonna be exciting to see how much better our offense will be & who the starter is after the summer!
Connor > Tebow and Cam? Good God, man. Step away from the keyboard. You say he's "no Tebow or cam" but then say he's faster and a better passer (and he is a better passer than Tebow, I'll give you that.)
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #276
KaneisAble
Banned

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake-cityCOCK89 View Post
Connor opens up our running game more with the read but Thompson throws a better deep ball.

Spurrier will go with the guy with the most experience and who gives defenses more to prepare for especially since we aren't a dominant run team without lattimore.

Good move if you ask me. Dylan will play to though like SOS said.

And can you people cut the "he hasn't beaten anybody good" crap. We've beaten Georgia Florida Clemson and Tennessee with Connor. The reason those teams aren't as good as they were is because we're beating them now. Every great team is not 11-1 with a lone loss to South Carolina and Connor shaw. Some only have 8 wins (wisconsin) and others have 7 (southern cal). Plug whatever sec teams in here like vandy or Mississippi state.

We are a good team with Connor or Dylan and to down Connor after the career he has had for us so far is flat out stupid. I have confidence in both but ill take experience any day of the week.

Besides, spurrier has made his decision, the right one at that, and he's not gonna change because keyboarding joe thinks he knows more football than spurrier.
Right. We won against all those teams purely because of Shaw.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #277
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 7920
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
Right. We won against all those teams purely because of Shaw.
He surely didn't lose them.

I'd argue that DT is more likely to lose a game than Shaw (hate to say he would lose a game, but I am always reminded of the love John Brantley was getting before Tebow left lol).
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #278
pantera17
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockLurker View Post
He surely didn't lose them.

I'd argue that DT is more likely to lose a game than Shaw (hate to say he would lose a game, but I am always reminded of the love John Brantley was getting before Tebow left lol).
Well shaw has lost us at least one game. DT hasn't. Eh
Old 12-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #279
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

It's clear that for many the only thing that matters is passing yards. I'd bet a QB could go 25 for 60 with 5 picks every game and as long as he had 300+ yards he'd be promoted as the greatest QB ever win or not.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #280
pantera17
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
It's clear that for many the only thing that matters is passing yards. I'd bet a QB could go 25 for 60 with 5 picks every game and as long as he had 300+ yards he'd be promoted as the greatest QB ever win or not.
Dumbest thing anyone has ever said. I'm pretty sure no one in the history of the world has ever said anything close to what you think "many" have said.