CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
TheUniversityofSC
Bed Sores
dixiecock
b381l
Cockhornleghorn
TAFC 5 1981
Gamecocks1137
Aggie96
garnet_black215
Skai Moore not start (2232)
Paul Finebaum heaps (2097)
Unreal Article from (1891)
Conflict with Aggies (1600)
Elliott Fry (1517)
Devonte Returning (1513)
New JK Video Imminen (1264)
Lattimore out more 6 (1084)
Brandon Allen's truc (1015)
Kirk Herbstreit on t (747)
Would you rather: Beat Cl
Skai Moore not starting a
Carolina Calls 8\26
New JK Video Imminent! :)
The 3-4
Connor Shaw Browns
Tanner McEvoy to start fo
Devonte Returning
2015 Greyshirt - Darin Sm
Kyle Carpenter to lead Ga

View Poll Results: Shaw or Thompson?
Shaw 165 51.24%
Thompson 157 48.76%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #281
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Shaw or Thompson

When people keep discrediting every stat except yardage that's exactly what they are saying. It's the same argument people used to use for hyping Allen Iverson when he scored 50 points on 20 for 50 shooting.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #282
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

What other stats have been mentioned besides completion % and yards per throw?
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #283
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Completion percentage, yards per completion, total yardage and efficiency have all been used in the discussion and many people have discredited every single one of these and keep going back to "but he threw for 300 yards".
Old 12-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #284
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Completion percentage, yards per completion, total yardage and efficiency have all been used in the discussion and many people have discredited every single one of these and keep going back to "but he threw for 300 yards".
We've all watched the games. And we all know that the first two are skewed for connor shaw. Shaw has thrown many screens and check downs that ace or whoever it may be have taken ten yards or so.

If you (not you, in general) have watched the games this year, you have seen we don't throw down field with Connor many times a game.

And the above reasons is why his passing efficiency is high.

As for total yards I'd rather have a QB throw 300 yards. Then throw for 200 amd run for 100.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #285
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
We've all watched the games. And we all know that the first two are skewed for connor shaw. Shaw has thrown many screens and check downs that ace or whoever it may be have taken ten yards or so.

If you (not you, in general) have watched the games this year, you have seen we don't throw down field with Connor many times a game.

And the above reasons is why his passing efficiency is high.

As for total yards I'd rather have a QB throw 300 yards. Then throw for 200 amd run for 100.
This is the point. Every stat except for the precious 300 yard game is meaningless or is skewed in some way. Except for the fact that Mr. Checkdown and Mr. Chuckitdeep are separated by less than a yard in regards to yards per completion.

Regardless 300 yard games don't have to include 50% completion percentages since we saw a 350 yard game this season by a QB that completed right at 69% of his passes.

I don't care if a QB throws for 300 yards, runs for 300 yards or 150 of each because in the end it all counts the same.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:01 AM   #286
4Ever2Thee
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2940
4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit

Connor is our guy
4Ever2Thee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #287
MEGA
GO SPURRIER AND COMPANY

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best USC Fan 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best USC Fan 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Nascar Challenge: Nascar Challenge Winner - Given for: 2nd place 2007 Nascar Challenge 
CockyCash: 50451139
MEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot material

I respect everyone of our players at every position , I will trust in Spurrier to make the right call .......I am pleased with Dylan and Connor and there is nothng wrong with having 2 good quarterbacks !!! LET'S TAKE CARE OF MICHIGAN ..................PERIOD !!!!! GO COCKS !!!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #288
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
It's clear that for many the only thing that matters is passing yards. I'd bet a QB could go 25 for 60 with 5 picks every game and as long as he had 300+ yards he'd be promoted as the greatest QB ever win or not.
Not for me. What maters is actually throwing the ball and not scrambling when your first option is covered for 1/2 a yard or negative yardage. I just would like one of the Shaw-pumpers to acknowledge this tendency, it's increase this season, and how it negatively effects the offense.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #289
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
Connor > Tebow and Cam? Good God, man. Step away from the keyboard. You say he's "no Tebow or cam" but then say he's faster and a better passer (and he is a better passer than Tebow, I'll give you that.)
I think i see the problem with most team Dylan fans...they just see what they want to see! Hahaha
Dude...I never said anything about Connor is better than either of them...i said he throws better...& he runs faster...there are still other intangibles that makes both Cam & Tebow better. Cam had a stronger arm...but threw the deep ball b/c the secondary snuck up thinking he was gonna run...as far as just a straight up accurate passer...I think Connor is better

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #290
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
Well shaw has lost us at least one game. DT hasn't. Eh
So Shaw loses the games for us by himself but when we win the whole team wins? I guess only Connor lost the Florida game for us...but Dylan didnt even though he played half of the game?

Smh

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #291
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
This is the point. Every stat except for the precious 300 yard game is meaningless or is skewed in some way. Except for the fact that Mr. Checkdown and Mr. Chuckitdeep are separated by less than a yard in regards to yards per completion.

Regardless 300 yard games don't have to include 50% completion percentages since we saw a 350 yard game this season by a QB that completed right at 69% of his passes.

I don't care if a QB throws for 300 yards, runs for 300 yards or 150 of each because in the end it all counts the same.

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #292
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
I think i see the problem with most team Dylan fans...they just see what they want to see! Hahaha
Dude...I never said anything about Connor is better than either of them...i said he throws better...& he runs faster...there are still other intangibles that makes both Cam & Tebow better. Cam had a stronger arm...but threw the deep ball b/c the secondary snuck up thinking he was gonna run...as far as just a straight up accurate passer...I think Connor is better
You're insane if you think that any amount of intangibles can make anyone better than a qb who can throw better and run faster than Tebow and Cam. Didn't you compare him to Joe Montana earlier?
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #293
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by klempsux View Post
You're insane if you think that any amount of intangibles can make anyone better than a qb who can throw better and run faster than Tebow and Cam. Didn't you compare him to Joe Montana earlier?
So I am insane for thinking Connor is faster & is more accurate than Cam & Tebow but both of them are bigger & is able to shed tackles better than Connor? When we played Cam in the SEC Chamionship...EJ called a great defensive game...our guys were getting to Cam but couldn't bring him down. If that is insane...maybe u need to learn a little more about football & watch a little more!
And no...didn't compare Connor to Montana...just simply said that I liked Montana & while others might have had a stronger arm or had more intangibles...he found a way to win...and that's what Connor does...don't know how many can argue that
Old 12-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #294
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
So I am insane for thinking Connor is faster & is more accurate than Cam & Tebow but both of them are bigger & is able to shed tackles better than Connor? When we played Cam in the SEC Chamionship...EJ called a great defensive game...our guys were getting to Cam but couldn't bring him down. If that is insane...maybe u need to learn a little more about football & watch a little more!
And no...didn't compare Connor to Montana...just simply said that I liked Montana & while others might have had a stronger arm or had more intangibles...he found a way to win...and that's what Connor does...don't know how many can argue that
Insane is too harsh of a phrase, my fault for bringing it up, but any QB that was faster than Cam and more accurate than Tebow would never need to worry about being tackled and we'd be in the national title now.
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #295
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Simply put, Connor is a great athlete playing QB for us. He could probably play a number of positions but we have needed him at QB the last two seasons. Dylan is a QB playing QB. He is a game manager that probably wouldn't see the field for us at any other position, but, he has the potential to be pretty good at QB. He has already had 2 1/2 really good games at QB for us this season. Connor is relying on what he has always been able to do when he plays and isn't really growing in the areas where he is weak...Dylan plays the complete position well and has been improving as the season has progressed. I don't want to bash Connor, but I do believe that Dylan is playing the complete position of QB better for us right now.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #296
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by klempsux View Post
Insane is too harsh of a phrase, my fault for bringing it up, but any QB that was faster than Cam and more accurate than Tebow would never need to worry about being tackled and we'd be in the national title now.
That's ok...I might have been a little too literal. But Connor does run around a 4.6 when healthy...given this year he has not been healthy...and I don't think Tebow or Cam runs that fast...& I don't think either were that accurate. Connor...WHEN GIVEN TIME is very accurate...but the combination of injuries & our OL being too slow off the line hurt us...but again...I support who has proven to give us the best chance to win
Old 12-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #297
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

Did you see HBC speak at halftime of the basketball game? Check out the video. At the 1:00 mark he is asked who is the starter for the bowl game. Without hesitation, he says "Connor, Connor is going to start the game if he is ready and Dylan will be ready". We are not going to change each others opinion about who should be the starter and who is better but you can draw a conclusion about who is right in this discussion based on who HBC has started all season and who he plans to start the remainder of the season.

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sport...body-main.html
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #298
Jubjub Bird
4-Star

Female

CockyCash: 400
Jubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his comb

Quote:
Tebow and Cam did shed a bunch of tackles, but that wasn't their only game. They both passed for a lot more yards than Connor too. Cam's combined passing and rushing yards are ridiculous.

Tebow
2007 3,286 passing / 895 rushing
2008 2,746 passing / 673 rushing
2009 2,895 passing / 910 rushing.

Cam
2010 2,854 passing / 1473 rushing.

Connor
2011 1,448 passing / 525 rushing over 8 games
2012 1,732 passing / 339 rushing over roughly 9 games.

Of course, Connor has yet to play a full season, so his numbers are naturally lower, but projecting his stats over 13 games you get about 2,353 passing yards / 853 rushing yards in 2011 and 2,500 passing yards / 490 rushing yards in 2012.

The numbers show that Connor is a very good QB, but he is not on the level of championship-winning spread-type QB's yet. Can he get there? Maybe. But I think this year showed that it is going to be difficult for Connor to make it through an entire SEC season if he relies too much on his legs. Tebow and Cam could take hits that Connor will never be able to take. But even with their running abilities, both of those guys still threw for a lot more yards than Connor.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #299
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

He also said that immediately following the clemson game.

the point of this thread is having a little fun discussing/debating who we think should be starting. We have all known what was going to happen and who was going to start for 11 or 12 days now. None of us are under any illusions that we have the authority to make that decision...and all of us (I think) are more than happy to trust SOS. We just like weighing the pros and cons and seeing if someone else has something to offer that we have yet to think of.

This thread is just a discussion...it has never been a decision maker.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #300
Jubjub Bird
4-Star

Female

CockyCash: 400
Jubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2four2Gamecock View Post
Did you see HBC speak at halftime of the basketball game? Check out the video. At the 1:00 mark he is asked who is the starter for the bowl game. Without hesitation, he says "Connor, Connor is going to start the game if he is ready and Dylan will be ready". We are not going to change each others opinion about who should be the starter and who is better but you can draw a conclusion about who is right in this discussion based on who HBC has started all season and who he plans to start the remainder of the season.

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sport...body-main.html

SOS also said in his bowl game press release that Connor would start if healthy but Dylan would definitely get some playing time. I find that interesting as it seems to suggest that Dylan, with his game against Clemson, took a step up from just being the backup. It's like SOS wants to see more of what Dylan has to offer in game situations. But that's just my opinion and I could be reading way too much into the Coach's comments.