CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Spurticus
TAFC 5 1981
sanford
smoovecock
usc1
gamecockgal
StormOfTalons
robgusc76
Gamecockfanatic4
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
Jaguars Justin Black (841)
Spurrier vs Saban (770)
Kansas to invest $75 (745)
When does fall pract (721)
Frank Caliendo + Mor (265)
An Air Algerie Fligh (264)
Anyone Switching to (253)
Expect A Healthy Dos (229)
Darth Vader 'Vette (182)
Stephen Garcia AMA on Red
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
2015 - Amonte Caban
Baseball Recruiting Threa
Places to eat in Conway?
Spurrier vs Saban
Another A&M aggie off
Coach's media golf press
Gamecock Showcase Attende
college football match up

Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
gobluejeff86
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
gobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervous
Default It's been awhile since our schools played

Hi to our bowl opponent! Hope to have some good conversations about our teams and upcoming game. Shortly before I attended Michigan, and during my time there, we played you at least twice. George Rogers broke our hearts one year, and a few years later we handled you pretty easily. Haven't read any of the posts yet, thought I'd start with a quick scouting report of my Wolverines and give you the prevailing feelings about the matchup up here, at least among my circle of fans.

Michigan is through the horror of the RichRod years, who may have been a good coach but was not a good coach for Michigan. We still aren't back to where we'd like to be, and I think SC has a clear edge on defense against our offense, and a less pronounced edge on offense against our defense.

On defense, if you can stop Denard Robinson-who may play QB, running back, or even slot receiver, you take away by far the most dangerous weapon we have. It's made M fans happy that Devin Gardner has stepped in and shown why he was so highly recruited as a quarterback, but he still lacks experience and will struggle against your athletic defense, especially because our offensive line is perhaps our weakest position group. We have a lot of help on the way, but for now we are undersized and undertalented. Your guy Clowney may set a sack record if we get behind early and are forced to pass.
Other than Denard, we have no running back who is even remotely scary-and our blocking fullback left the team suddenly yesterday.

On offense, you should be able to pass on our secondary. We love Greg Mattison at DC, but he's also working with less talent than we'd like this year.
We've been OK on defense, but many of us have the sneaky suspicion that it's all smoke and mirrors and pay-no-attention-to-the-man-behind-the-curtain...so we'll see.

Bottom line, most M fans I know expect to lose this matchup, and just hope it won't be another baby seal vs. club matchup like our opener with 'Bama. To close, the most entertaining site that talks about Michigan football is: http://mgoblog.com/

Best of luck, looking forward to the game.
gobluejeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material
Default Re: It's been awhile since our schools played

Welcome aboard. We're all looking forward to a great game!

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Welcome goblue.
I'm hoping we show up this time in the Outback.

I'm with you that Michigan is on the right track under Hoke...just got to get more talent and speed.
I'm looking forward to when Michigan starts dominating OSU.

Sadly for you, I hope we stomp Michigan into the ground...but after the game, I wish Michigan the best of luck.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
USCGrad2003
4-Star

Male

USCGrad2003 has feathers coming inUSCGrad2003 has feathers coming inUSCGrad2003 has feathers coming in

Welcome GoBlueJeff86! I am really looking forward to this game, hoping for a good one.
USCGrad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Welcome! It's great to get a chance to interact with such a great fan base as Michigan has.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Welcome Jeff. I just posted a rundown of some of our players on offense and defense for you guys over on your site. Enjoy.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Welcome to the board. Glad you're here and we're looking forward to the game.

Feel free to hang around talk football and other things after the bowl game.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

I was in the Big House when we won....It was a pretty cool place to play with all the history and all...But I will say it was one of the quitest places we played in ....All those folks in that place and it was kind of golf claps through out the game...
Old 12-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Really nice post. Welcome.

We've been very erratic in bowl games under Spurrier. If he feels like he has something to play for we usually show up. The year's he's not excited about it the team usually comes out and lays an egg.

Here's hoping he wants an Outback Bowl win.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
gobluejeff86
Walk On

Male

gobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervousgobluejeff86 is making other chickens nervous

It used to be that way, it's MUCH louder after our recent renovation. Skyboxes seem to keep sound in, crowd is younger and mostly stands all game-just a different vibe. The thing I remember from that game is Bo Schembechler trying a fake punt from our own 29, and failing. That led directly to an SC touchdown, and is the only time in 21 years that he tried anything remotely like that, in any phase of the game.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
gobluejeff86
Walk On

Male

Spurrier has always seemed to be a little eccentric to this outside observer. I'm entertained by his quotes and think he's done a nice job with your program, but he's not your average big time college football coach.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluejeff86 View Post
It used to be that way, it's MUCH louder after our recent renovation. Skyboxes seem to keep sound in, crowd is younger and mostly stands all game-just a different vibe. The thing I remember from that game is Bo Schembechler trying a fake punt from our own 29, and failing. That led directly to an SC touchdown, and is the only time in 21 years that he tried anything remotely like that, in any phase of the game.
..yea...That makes sense...You look up from the field and it seemed like the folks sitting in the upper part of the stands were a mile away....As far as the fake punt we saw it coming....Michigan was going to try it earlier but we showed coverage on the play...Then the next time around we saw they were going to set it up again so we baited the play and the bit and as you know it went nowhere...
Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluejeff86 View Post
Hi to our bowl opponent! Hope to have some good conversations about our teams and upcoming game. Shortly before I attended Michigan, and during my time there, we played you at least twice. George Rogers broke our hearts one year, and a few years later we handled you pretty easily. Haven't read any of the posts yet, thought I'd start with a quick scouting report of my Wolverines and give you the prevailing feelings about the matchup up here, at least among my circle of fans.

Michigan is through the horror of the RichRod years, who may have been a good coach but was not a good coach for Michigan. We still aren't back to where we'd like to be, and I think SC has a clear edge on defense against our offense, and a less pronounced edge on offense against our defense.

On defense, if you can stop Denard Robinson-who may play QB, running back, or even slot receiver, you take away by far the most dangerous weapon we have. It's made M fans happy that Devin Gardner has stepped in and shown why he was so highly recruited as a quarterback, but he still lacks experience and will struggle against your athletic defense, especially because our offensive line is perhaps our weakest position group. We have a lot of help on the way, but for now we are undersized and undertalented. Your guy Clowney may set a sack record if we get behind early and are forced to pass.
Other than Denard, we have no running back who is even remotely scary-and our blocking fullback left the team suddenly yesterday.

On offense, you should be able to pass on our secondary. We love Greg Mattison at DC, but he's also working with less talent than we'd like this year.
We've been OK on defense, but many of us have the sneaky suspicion that it's all smoke and mirrors and pay-no-attention-to-the-man-behind-the-curtain...so we'll see.

Bottom line, most M fans I know expect to lose this matchup, and just hope it won't be another baby seal vs. club matchup like our opener with 'Bama. To close, the most entertaining site that talks about Michigan football is: http://mgoblog.com/

Best of luck, looking forward to the game.
Welcome.

I thought your pass defense was ranked second nationally. Maybe you meant we should be able to run the ball on your front seven. Our running game coordinator/OL coach coached at Appy State for the "Oh the humanity" game.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
DrCorona
Walk On

Male

DrCorona has earned his spursDrCorona has earned his spursDrCorona has earned his spursDrCorona has earned his spursDrCorona has earned his spursDrCorona has earned his spursDrCorona has earned his spurs

Our national passing defense ranking is a falsehood. We haven't faced any quality passers this year, plus most of the B1G ten tends to feature the running game. We're not real good at pressuring the QB, & we have no stud cover DB's. We have been fairly responsible with limiting YAC...& that's probably a pretty underrated feature.
DrCorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

Did Quinton Washington really get moved to DT for you guys? what is the story behind that?

I hated that we couldn't land him...especially considering how weak our O-line has been
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCorona View Post
Our national passing defense ranking is a falsehood. We haven't faced any quality passers this year, plus most of the B1G ten tends to feature the running game. We're not real good at pressuring the QB, & we have no stud cover DB's. We have been fairly responsible with limiting YAC...& that's probably a pretty underrated feature.
I like your attitude. Last year the Nebraska fans were talking about some CB as though he would single-handedly shut down Alshon. Then, when we told them Alshon goes up against a better corner (Gilmore) every day in practice, they thought we were kidding. Turns out Alshon got MVP, and Gilmore was clearly the best DB on the field . . . and went hirer than their CB. Never heard anymore about it.

That said, I believe our coaching staff will watch film and find out that maybe you're undervaluing your DBs to some degree. You don't get to be second in the country against Big 10 competition without some skills.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #17
gamecockhub
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 10441
gamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockhub has developed his gaff and talons

Welcome to the board. I was there in the big house when we won! Was a freshman at the time and was also there in 1985 when we lost at home. Looking forward to a good game!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

good post blue..looking for a good game.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
cold_point_rooster
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 34000
cold_point_rooster is sharpening his clawscold_point_rooster is sharpening his clawscold_point_rooster is sharpening his clawscold_point_rooster is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I was in the Big House when we won....It was a pretty cool place to play with all the history and all...But I will say it was one of the quitest places we played in ....All those folks in that place and it was kind of golf claps through out the game...
I was there also. And to this day the big house is one of my favorite places I've been to. Fans were nice as they could be to us. I remember being swept away by how big the place looked from the inside. On the outside I wonder where the field was.

Sitting in the airport the next day listening to Bo cry about getting beat was fun to.

Anyway, good to hear your thoughts.
cold_point_rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
BigSteven34
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 35360615
BigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to BigSteven34

Welcome! Looking forward to a good game against one of the best programs in all of College Football!
BigSteven34 is offline   Reply With Quote