CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Regalcock
U-Dub Gamecock
mpilot0705
b381l
gamecockgal
catdaddy66
M.C.
Jwilson
purebredcock
**USC vs. South Alab (18347)
Drew Owens missing? (2171)
Clemson (2165)
Question about after (1587)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1173)
Shaq Roland (1115)
Gamecock Men Have Be (951)
FishFry 47-yarder (662)
clemson game time: N (569)
How about this scena (508)
Clemson
2014 Charleston Classic *
Question about after the
what I think ab ward
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
Winston
UFC Fight Night 57: Frank
**USC vs. South Alabama G
clemson game time: Noon o
Big George Statue

Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
CockyCash: 1103858
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocklover
Default George Rogers on his win against Michigan...

Andy Demetra ‏@GamecockRadio
Rogers says Jim Carlen told the team pregame: "If you whip Michigan's [blank], I promise you I'll go over & whip Bo Schembechler's [blank]."

Cocklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Default Re: George Rogers on his win against Michigan...

Clearly it fired up the locker room - Rogers rushed for 142 yards, and Carolina upset Michigan 17-14.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

I remember listening to this game...I was 11. That was a huge day...exciting!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Gamecocks vs Michigan Stories ...

.. One of my favorite stories of Gamecock Football (in my lifetime) came
in a Matchup with Michigan in 1980 (Jim Carlen Era). We played them in
Ann Arbor and there was a "tradition" that the Wolverines had to intimidate
opponents there. Both team locker rooms shared a hallway that led onto
the field, and it was their routine to allow the visting team to come out
of the locker room first and start out onto the field. As soon as the team
was almost to the entrance of the field (rest of the team still filling the hallway),
The Wolverine team would come out of their locker room yelling and run
down the hallway through the visiting team (basically parting them) and
run onto the field first.

Jim Carlen told this story after the game, that he knew this tradition
all too well, and he told his football team before the game "I don't care
if we have to riot in the hallway, and have the state militia called in to
stop it.... WE ARE NOT GOING TO BE PUSHED ASSIDE IN THE HALL, AND
WE WILL STAND OUR GROUND THERE" ! I remember hearing Bob Fulton
describe on the radio "an incident" had taken place in the locker room
between the two teams prior to the game. ... USC defeated Michigan
that day 17-14 (think it was). It was one of the best road victories in
the school's history. Calen told Carolina fans after the game that yes,
there was a fight in the locker room hallway that had to be broken up
by Coaches, Refs, and stadium officials, but as you all witnessed
"We were the first team out of the locker room, and onto the field" !
Old 12-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: Gamecocks vs Michigan Stories ...

Another interesting story:

The "GAME" ---"COCKS" cheer that has been a tradition here for decades
came from that meeting in 1980 with the Michigan Wolverines. It was a
Fad at the time for them, and they had been doing this cheer for a couple
of seasons. Using "WOLVER" ...."INES" before the team came out onto the
field. Carlen said when the entire stadium was doing that cheer, he thought
it was the coolest thing he'd ever heard. He talked our band / cheerleaders
into trying it at The Cockpit during home games, and it eventually caught
on here. So much so that it is now a pre-game tradition.

Not sure if Michigan still does this in their stadium (I have not heard
them do it anymore since the 80s).
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

CockyCash: 500
Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocklover View Post
Rogers says Jim Carlen told the team pregame: "If you whip Michigan's [blank], I promise you I'll go over & whip Bo Schembechler's [blank]."

Those were the good ole days when your head coach reminded you of Jerry Reed from 'Smokey and the Bandit', bodies littered the ground before, during, and after the game, and eye gouging was a legit, bottom-of-the-pile move. I mean dudes played without fingers, teeth, and morals! Oh the glory days...
Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 200
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Carter not catching that pass in the endzone at the end of the game was a big help...The DB that had him covered most of the day missed his assingnment on that play but it didnt cost him..
Old 12-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
cold_point_rooster
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 34000
cold_point_rooster is sharpening his clawscold_point_rooster is sharpening his clawscold_point_rooster is sharpening his clawscold_point_rooster is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
Carter not catching that pass in the endzone at the end of the game was a big help...The DB that had him covered most of the day missed his assingnment on that play but it didnt cost him..
Thank goodness the ball was tipped.

That play was right in front of most of the gamecock fans that were there.
cold_point_rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
GamecockinILL
Blue Chip

Male

GamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his comb

In those days, most games could only be followed on radio. At the time UM was my second fav team. They had just lost to the hated Golden Domers on a last minute field goal the week before, and we had lost to the other USC the week before. For me, as a fan, this was an excruciating game to anticipate. I hated ND and I hated Southern Cal. I loved the Gamecocks and I loved the Wolverines. The idea of either of them losing two in a row after losing to teams I despised was terrible. But I had to be a homer. The game was a nail-biter...and those are even more stressful if you're listening on the radio. It came down to UM with a first and goal in the final minute....and they had one of the best receivers in college football. Three downs...no score. Fourth and goal....I was going nuts in my living room. The defense held and we had a HISTORIC win. One of the best games ever....and I will NEVER forget it.

As a side note...I could go for a little less stress this time around.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
DrCorona
Walk On

Male

DrCorona has earned his spursDrCorona has earned his spursDrCorona has earned his spursDrCorona has earned his spursDrCorona has earned his spursDrCorona has earned his spursDrCorona has earned his spurs

I remember listening to the game on the radio that fall afternoon painting my grandmothers house (RIP Gramma) & listening to Rogers 2nd half performance....Rogers for 6, Rogers for 7, Rogers for 13, Rogers for 8.....Touchdown South Carolina! Ugh! But definitely respected the dude & his well deserved Heisman.
This 3 point loss coupled with the 2 point loss the week before to ND ultimately cost us a National Title.
Ah....the good ole days.
DrCorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
OcalaCockFan
Recruit

Male

OcalaCockFan is making other chickens nervousOcalaCockFan is making other chickens nervousOcalaCockFan is making other chickens nervousOcalaCockFan is making other chickens nervousOcalaCockFan is making other chickens nervousOcalaCockFan is making other chickens nervousOcalaCockFan is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
.It was one of the best road victories in
the school's history. !
It is my favorite - road victory, 100K plus in that stadium, ranked opponent, just awesome.

Anyone got a better one ( other than the Impson victories ) ??
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaCockFan View Post
It is my favorite - road victory, 100K plus in that stadium, ranked opponent, just awesome.

Beating Tennessee in 05 was special. Being in the stands for it and seeing fans actually crying because they had waited so long for a victory over UT was amazing.
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
CocksB2BChamps24
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 800
CocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Skype™ to CocksB2BChamps24

I'm mad at my parents. Considering I'm only 25 I didn't get to see the early 80's of Gamecock football, but I guess I'll take the trade of the football team's success today.

I can't compare any of the games I've witnessed to the Michigan game, but that Georgia game last year was extremely wild. I doubt it was as big as the Michigan win because it ultimately didn't lead us to the SEC-CG, but was still an amazing game.

3-0 in Eath Valley.
1996. 2010. 2012.
CocksB2BChamps24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaCockFan View Post

You'd have to include 2010 @ Florida to lock up our first SEC East title.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
uscgrad68
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 616
uscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his comb

[quote=GamecockinILL;3586681]In those days, most games could only be followed on radio. At the time UM was my second fav team. They had just lost to the hated Golden Domers on a last minute field goal the week before, and we had lost to the other USC the week before. For me, as a fan, this was an excruciating game to anticipate. I hated ND and I hated Southern Cal. I loved the Gamecocks and I loved the Wolverines. The idea of either of them losing two in a row after losing to teams I despised was terrible. But I had to be a homer. The game was a nail-biter...and those are even more stressful if you're listening on the radio. It came down to UM with a first and goal in the final minute....and they had one of the best receivers in college football. Three downs...no score. Fourth and goal....I was going nuts in my living room. The defense held and we had a HISTORIC win. One of the best games ever....and I will NEVER forget it.

Is there any source by which we can find a copy of the game video? I would love to have that. I have remembered that game as a milestone. I would really like to see it and it would be great if it were available to younger fans.
uscgrad68 is offline   Reply With Quote