CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
auslander
spareparts
sporkgod50
Acockolypse Now
M.C.
conwaycock2
scfanohio
Goofyboy
Gamecockfanatic4
SwampFox
My predictions for 2 (849)
An Aggies View of th (731)
Tennessee (491)
Mike Davis' HS Coach (385)
SEC Recruiting Advan (337)
Clowney in Practice (326)
Question on Student (289)
Erin Murray's brothe (243)
Camp scheduled relea (228)
Galaxy vs Seatle (196)
Green and Lammons
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Question on Student Secti
Galaxy vs Seatle
2015 - Zack Bailey
2016 - Brandon McIlwain
Hello Gamecocks!
2015 Commitment - Davon D
Tennessee
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit

View Poll Results: Shaw or Thompson?
Shaw 165 51.24%
Thompson 157 48.76%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #301
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly
Default Re: Shaw or Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
He also said that immediately following the clemson game.

the point of this thread is having a little fun discussing/debating who we think should be starting. We have all known what was going to happen and who was going to start for 11 or 12 days now. None of us are under any illusions that we have the authority to make that decision...and all of us (I think) are more than happy to trust SOS. We just like weighing the pros and cons and seeing if someone else has something to offer that we have yet to think of.

This thread is just a discussion...it has never been a decision maker.
I was just pointing out that HBC does not agree with you regarding this staement:

"but I do believe that Dylan is playing the complete position of QB better for us right now"
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #302
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2four2Gamecock View Post
I was just pointing out that HBC does not agree with you regarding this staement:

"but I do believe that Dylan is playing the complete position of QB better for us right now"
That's funny, because I think that he does, and when I read your post, that was the farthest thing from my mind.

Spurrier is an offensive genius. So, if we can see that DT sees the field better, goes through his progressions, utilizes his team mates better, and doesn't tuck the ball and take off too soon, then I am positive that SOS sees it too.

If I were guessing, and that is all any of us are doing here, I would say that SOS is forcing, but opening the door a little, for DT to take the starting position. To prove it on the field. This isn't, "It's Connor's game to win or lose it." This is, "Connor is going to start, but Dylan is going to play too."

Now, how much if any does Dylan play? We'll see.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #303
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
That's funny, because I think that he does, and when I read your post, that was the farthest thing from my mind.

Spurrier is an offensive genius. So, if we can see that DT sees the field better, goes through his progressions, utilizes his team mates better, and doesn't tuck the ball and take off too soon, then I am positive that SOS sees it too.

If I were guessing, and that is all any of us are doing here, I would say that SOS is forcing, but opening the door a little, for DT to take the starting position. To prove it on the field. This isn't, "It's Connor's game to win or lose it." This is, "Connor is going to start, but Dylan is going to play too."

Now, how much if any does Dylan play? We'll see.
I guess you must have thought I believed people were masquerading around on this board thinking they get to decide who starts at QB. It goes without saying we both understand we donít get to decide. I was attempting to point out that there are 2 sides regarding our QB situation and sometimes you can determine who may be right by looking to an offensive genius and seeing what he thinks based on practice time, starting games , playing time.... Maybe HBC knows a little about it and is practicing it for us.

Like you said, I do trust HBC and if he thinks Connor is going to practice, start and play significant minutes in the Bowl game than that is the guy who is best suited to do it. If DT does all these things you mention better than Connor but Connor still starts, then there are other more important factors that determine who is the better QB.

I think Connor is better than Dylan, however, I think Dylan is a very good QB. I do not like to see Connor leave the pocket too early, but I love to see his presence in the pocket the way he avoids the rush, keeps plays alive and makes positive gains from some hopeless plays. I hate to watch Dylan take sacks, but I love to see him survey the field when he has time and make some strong-armed throws downfield. I honestly believe we will be fine with either for our bowl game and I hope they do both get to play. I can see them both doing very well against Michigan.
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #304
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2four2Gamecock View Post
I honestly believe we will be fine with either for our bowl game and I hope they do both get to play. I can see them both doing very well against Michigan.
We agree.

And ftr...just trying to keep things in perspective. Not you, but there seems to be a couple here taking this a little too seriously...
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #305
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
I think i see the problem with most team Dylan fans...they just see what they want to see! Hahaha
Dude...I never said anything about Connor is better than either of them...i said he throws better...& he runs faster...there are still other intangibles that makes both Cam & Tebow better. Cam had a stronger arm...but threw the deep ball b/c the secondary snuck up thinking he was gonna run...as far as just a straight up accurate passer...I think Connor is better
That helps clarify. But you do see how someone could take "Connor is a faster runner and better passer" to mean "Connor is a better QB", correct?
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #306
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Wow. Very even split.

I said Thompson for basically one reason.

Our offense is clearly different depending on which QB is on the field. Gameplanning for Thompson would be entirely different than gameplanning for Connor Shaw. Everyone and their mother expects us to start Shaw in the bowl game. Let them think that, and then let the Michigan sidelines crap themselves when Thompson comes out and they realize their entire Gameplan is incorrect. I think it would be fun to see what Thompson could do with the ability to practice with the first team through all of the bowl practices.

The counter argument to this is obviously that Thompson has yet to prove anything against a good defense all year.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #307
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
He also said that immediately following the clemson game.

the point of this thread is having a little fun discussing/debating who we think should be starting. We have all known what was going to happen and who was going to start for 11 or 12 days now. None of us are under any illusions that we have the authority to make that decision...and all of us (I think) are more than happy to trust SOS. We just like weighing the pros and cons and seeing if someone else has something to offer that we have yet to think of.

This thread is just a discussion...it has never been a decision maker.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #308
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubjub Bird View Post
Tebow and Cam did shed a bunch of tackles, but that wasn't their only game. They both passed for a lot more yards than Connor too. Cam's combined passing and rushing yards are ridiculous.

Tebow
2007 3,286 passing / 895 rushing
2008 2,746 passing / 673 rushing
2009 2,895 passing / 910 rushing.

Cam
2010 2,854 passing / 1473 rushing.

Connor
2011 1,448 passing / 525 rushing over 8 games
2012 1,732 passing / 339 rushing over roughly 9 games.

Of course, Connor has yet to play a full season, so his numbers are naturally lower, but projecting his stats over 13 games you get about 2,353 passing yards / 853 rushing yards in 2011 and 2,500 passing yards / 490 rushing yards in 2012.

The numbers show that Connor is a very good QB, but he is not on the level of championship-winning spread-type QB's yet. Can he get there? Maybe. But I think this year showed that it is going to be difficult for Connor to make it through an entire SEC season if he relies too much on his legs. Tebow and Cam could take hits that Connor will never be able to take. But even with their running abilities, both of those guys still threw for a lot more yards than Connor.
Good assessment...but keep in mind these were both heisman winners and Connors averages isn't that far off. He finished 12th in the country in QB rating this year and with the schedule he had that is not bad.
And this year he was hurt...so you can't go off of this year alone.

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #309
Jubjub Bird
4-Star

Female

CockyCash: 400
Jubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his combJubjub Bird is developing his comb

Quote:
Good assessment...but keep in mind these were both heisman winners and Connors averages isn't that far off. He finished 12th in the country in QB rating this year and with the schedule he had that is not bad.
And this year he was hurt...so you can't go off of this year alone.
Thanks for the props.

As far as Tebow and Newton being Heisman winners, I agree. My point is that you compared Connor to them and said that he is better than them in some ways, but I think the numbers show that he is not in their league. Especially Newton--I mean the dude accounted for more than 4,300 yards. Dang.

If Connor improves his passing numbers next year as much as he did this past year, he'll get up to 2,650 yards or so which wouldn't be too far removed from Tebow's passing numbers his 2008 championship season. And it's possible that Connor's injuries this year were a fluke and he'll get his rushing numbers back up next season too.

Personally, I think Connor's speed and shiftiness caught defenses by surprise in 2011, up until the Nebraska game when he was more or less stifled as a runner. I think 2012 showed that a good defense will either bottle Connor up effectively or make sure he takes some good licks, and probably both. This year, Connor's body wasn't up to taking the licks, but maybe next year will be different.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #310
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
That helps clarify. But you do see how someone could take "Connor is a faster runner and better passer" to mean "Connor is a better QB", correct?
Yes...I can see where it could be taken that way...but I am very big on being proven...which is why I think Connor should still be the starter. But as far as Connor being compared to Cam or Tebow...I don't think his overall body of work is proven to be anything what they have done...but just his completion rating (given I know a lot are short passes) shows he is a very accurate passer

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #311
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

I can't wait to see Connor in the bowl game. Hopefully a months rest will do him well.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #312
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Yes...I can see where it could be taken that way...but I am very big on being proven...which is why I think Connor should still be the starter. But as far as Connor being compared to Cam or Tebow...I don't think his overall body of work is proven to be anything what they have done...but just his completion rating (given I know a lot are short passes) shows he is a very accurate passer
I understand. And again, he is a much better passer than Tebow, so I get that assessment.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #313
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

It is a tight race. That means we have two good QB's, a luxury.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #314
LimpCock
Blackout

Male

CockyCash: 13758453
LimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPit

ill take tommy beecher

LimpCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #315
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet girl View Post
It is a tight race. That means we have two good QB's, a luxury.
Something we haven't had in decades, its nice to have.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote