CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
SC Sandlapper
Gamecocks1137
B-G
ConwayGamecock
Interesting quotes f (2054)
Have you ever been s (1262)
Tennessee Offense Br (807)
Key for 2015 defense (762)
Women's Team Ranked (508)
This season and recr (439)
Skai Moore out for U (426)
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTIN (412)
Lebron makes Clevela (340)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (231)
Uniforms for Tenn
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Have you ever been so wro
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
We're going to the NCAA T
Season Tickets
Key for 2015 defense
Women's Team Ranked #2 In
Wallpaper & Backgroun
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw

Old 12-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #21
go garnet
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
go garnet has feathers coming ingo garnet has feathers coming ingo garnet has feathers coming in
Default Re: Has Clowney exceeded your expectations?

Abso freakin lutely... He is the best thing to come through Carolina in a long time.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Lattimore raised the bar of expectations of the impact a freshman could have in the SEC...I think that Clowney raised the bar even higher. He is without a doubt, one of the best players I have ever had the privelege to watch. Every time he is in the game, I expect him to cause havoc for the other team. I know that Tajh Boyd and Aaron Murray think that he has eclipsed their expectations.
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #23
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
lol

here was mine:

The caption under that GIF should read, "Ok now, come on Clowney, put him down"
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #24
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Nope. This is about what I expected out of him. Honestly if he wasn't in the top two in sacks in the country I would be a little disappointed.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #25
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

yes, he has. watching clowney is what is just awesome. the way he leans his body around, bull rushes or divebombs on runners is awesome. Until Clowney, Derrick Thomas from Bama was the best, but JD rises above. that guy is literally the best defensive end i have ever seen. PERIOD.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
sparklecityspur
4-Star

Male

sparklecityspur has earned his spurssparklecityspur has earned his spurssparklecityspur has earned his spurssparklecityspur has earned his spurssparklecityspur has earned his spurssparklecityspur has earned his spurs

Thanks for the responses. Its hard to believe we only got one more year of watching him. He is the reason I sit on the edge of my seat for every snap of the opposing offense.
I think we've been spoiled guys.
sparklecityspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #27
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

don't want to be flame magnet here, but i actually expected more from clowney this season. i really thought in his second year, he would be more like melvin was in his last year. don't get me wrong, clowney has had a great year. but i expected more forced fumbles, and defensive td's. i didn't expect him to get shut down against tenn, except that late forced fumble of course. i know tenn has an unreal ol, but i didn't think any one man would be able to do that to clowney, ever!
i take nothing away from his accomplishments, as he was great this year. but i guess i fall into the "unreal expectations" category of fanhood when it came to clowney this season. i do think he should have won the best defensive player of the year award over te'o. notre shame won that award more than te'o did. can't wait to see what clowney will do in the bowl game.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #28
Sax1031
Blue Chip

Male

Sax1031 has feathers coming inSax1031 has feathers coming in

Clowney hasn't got a ton of help from the defensive calls during games. when they triple team/double team him we don't pressure them from the opposite side of the line to help ease that.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #29
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

He has not exceeded my expectations, but I'm pleased with the overall impact he's had on our defense and our program.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #30
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
The caption under that GIF should read, "Ok now, come on Clowney, put him down"
I thought of Clowney WHILE I WAS IN THE THEATER. Great post.

And yes; as w/ Latt, the expectations were so high and he somehow met and then exceeded them. The difference is that Lattimore was great in a way we've seen before (not to slight him by any means; just mean purely based on skill and talent, of which he possesses freakish amounts). I don't think we've seen anything like Clowney in football, ever. He's an evolution of the position from what Lawrence Taylor was in the 80s/90s.

(And again: not to in any way shape or form slight Marcus, who is my all-time favorite human to don the Garnet and Black. I just mean purely from a football perspective.)
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #31
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

AikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his comb

No, he has not exceeded my expectations. Clowney is a great pass rusher, but not a durable run stopper, at least not yet. I give him a pass for just being a sophomore, but he needs to improve in this area.
AikenRooster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #32
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
don't want to be flame magnet here, but i actually expected more from clowney this season. i really thought in his second year, he would be more like melvin was in his last year. don't get me wrong, clowney has had a great year. but i expected more forced fumbles, and defensive td's. i didn't expect him to get shut down against tenn, except that late forced fumble of course. i know tenn has an unreal ol, but i didn't think any one man would be able to do that to clowney, ever!
i take nothing away from his accomplishments, as he was great this year. but i guess i fall into the "unreal expectations" category of fanhood when it came to clowney this season. i do think he should have won the best defensive player of the year award over te'o. notre shame won that award more than te'o did. can't wait to see what clowney will do in the bowl game.
Seriously? This shows an insane lack of football knowledge. Clowney had a better year than Melvin did last year and Melvin had a spectacular year. Just because he didn't score a defensive TD doesn't mean it wasn't on par w/ Melvin's year.

UT has one of the best O-Lines in the nation and he still managed to get pressure on Bray and cause a game-saving turnover. It wasn't "any one man". Clowney has to be accounted for ON EVERY PLAY. And just because he may not record a stat during any given play, his presence directly effects virtually all of them. So to say that you're somehow disappointed in the greatest defensive season any individual player has turned in in the history of the program shows an insane lack of appreciation and reason.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #33
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Interesting that many on here are saying "no". I must have missed something watching Carolina football the past 25 years.

Jesus. College Football as a whole hasn't seen anything like him, much less South Carolina football. But sit back and continue to be unimpressed. We won't see another like him for a long time, if ever.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #34
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

LIVED UP TO THEM!!!
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #35
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Knew he would be a legit beast last year but he really exceeded my expectations this year. WOW.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #36
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

Without a doubt he has.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #37
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

No. I saw his HS highlights and was aware the scouting sites gave him the highest grade seen in about 10 years. He's done as well as I expected, which was really high. I was just expecting a scoop 6 or pick 6 by now, but when you look at how teams have schemed against him and he still has the super production he's had so far, it's even more outstanding.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #38
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Posted 2-29-12:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Hopefully Clowney picks up the nuances of playing every down next season.....it would give him so many more opportunities to rush opposing backfields.

Norwood was used strictly as an outside edge rusher at DE and then OLB, and was very effective. I expect to see Jadeveon have a season with 15-20 TFL and 10-15 sacks next season. If he does a good job picking up Lawing's defense, he could surpass both of those. The thing I like is with all those opposing offenses having to spend so much more time figuring out how to block Clowney, it will give Taylor a chance to have a career year.
5-10-'12:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
It will be tough, but if anyone could do it, you'd think Clowney could: he now needs 21 sacks to tie the record of 29 by Norwood, or average 10.5 the next 2 seasons. He almost reached that number his 1st season, playing limited snaps.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Clowney have somewhere between 10-15 sacks this season, and 15-20 TFL. Ingram had those type numbers last season (15 TFL, 10 sacks) in his only season as a full time starter, and IMO Jadeveon is more of a pure edge rusher than Melvin is.

If Jadeveon averages 10.0 sacks and 15.0 TFL his next (and most likely his final) 2 seasons, he'll finish with 28.0 sacks and 42.0 TFL.....far short on Norwood's TFL record of 54.5, but within sight of the sack record...
Clowney has 13.0 sacks and 21.5 TFL through 11 games with one more to go this season. So he's already surpassed my TFL expectations and has a chance to surpass my sack expectations for him....he's also well on pace to best both of Norwood's career sack and TFL records: he now only needs 9 more QB sacks to own that record, and if he matches the 21.5 TFL he's gotten this season in 2013, he'll have 55 career tackles for loss, or 0.5 more TFL than Eric. I didn't think he'd reach the TFL record playing only 3 years at USC....

And he still has one more game to play in 2012.....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #39
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
He exceeded my expectations last year

8 sacks as a true freshman DE in the SEC? Um, hello!

And then to obtain the single season sack record as a sophmore?

Yeah...he's done quite well.
Eric Norwood had 7 sacks as a true freshman, and he was a 3* DE out of HS. He had 19.5 TFL his true sophomore year (only 2 behind JD's current total) playing on a poor defense, but only 6 sacks. I really loved Eric for what he did at USC his entire 4 years but yes, JD is taking it to a whole higher level. Just feel really fortunate we've had Norwood, Ingram, and now Clowney in successive years....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #40
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

He's been the great player that we all thought he would......his productivity has been hampered this year by the lack of holding calls on the OL however, but he has no control over that. I think where he has exceeded my expectations is his level of maturity on how he has conducted himself on the field, but also as a student. So many times these super athletes have big mouths and are in and out of trouble while in school. He is done none of that. Since his enrollment, he has been a model student and someone that kids can look up to. And I will be very happy to watch him play in the NFL after next year. He won't be playing in WB but one more season, but we are going to hear his name called on Sundays for years to come.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote