CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
rabid cock
uscnoklahoma
GregoryHouse
SanAntonioCock
Master Bedroom
Travelin
GamecockInHell
Storm Of Spurs
Garnetnblack99
LeeSC
Morris to SMU (6411)
Clemson fans (1835)
Venables to TAMU? (1819)
Carolina on a Walmar (1489)
Vegas line moving on (1269)
Game simulation (965)
End of the aTm / LSU (724)
Women's Soccer Elite (721)
Phil Kronblut show (601)
Have we been favored (573)
Arkansas...
Vegas line moving on game
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Venables to TAMU?
Phil Kronblut show
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
marshall/WKU
Morris to SMU
Women's Soccer Elite Eigh
Anyone know what time and


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #41
Sugedatdude
Cocky Que
 
Sugedatdude's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 324
CockyCash: 500
Sugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spurs
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Byrd is our best deep threat, plain & simple. Defensive coordinator's have to account for him when he is on the field. He draws attention, which leaves other options open.
Sugedatdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #42
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned
 
Cock Kool-Aid's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Appalachian Trail
Posts: 3,260
CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Example? Outside of the LSU and UT throws, I don't remember him dropping anything this year. He fumbled after catching a bubble screen against Mizzou.
I don't know them off of the top of my head honestly, but I know there have been more than 2. Byrd doesn't get that many targets anyways, and a lot of them have been on slip screens, so those numbers are misleading. I'm not referring to just this year either, it's happened his whole career. Wasn't it his very first catch that was a wide open post route TD vs UK in 2011 that he dropped? It's not just that he drops passes, it's that he drops big passes on down field throws and most of his drops have not been on super tough catches. I went back and watched the LSU drop several times and it was not like it would have been a circus catch. Bottom line is that the coaches are limiting his PT and it's pretty obvious why. DL and Byrd are the only players who have had consistent problems with drops and they have both had their PT cut back. Guys like Bruce, Ace, and Jones have sure hands and that's why they are on the field. Byrd's drops have been egregious- I can't think of a single drop that Ace, Bruce, or even Jones has had that has been on par with the type of drops that Byrd has had. It's not necessarily the number of drops that he's had, it's the combination of the amount of drops and the types of drops they've been.

Don't get me wrong, people. I love Byrd. He was one of my favorite players during his first offseason here when he was burning defenders and tearing it up. I just can't act like his hands are not the main thing holding him back. I am really pulling for him to soften those hands up, because I think if he does, he can be big time weapon.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #43
bigduff32
Freshman All-American
 
bigduff32's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Greer, SC
Posts: 805
CockyCash: 200
bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Shall we go back to all the times he has had everyone beat over the last two years and let the ball go right through his hands??
__________________
"Chase perfection. If you fall short, you catch excellence"
bigduff32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #44
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC
 
Garnet Gamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 2,784
CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Hey, the guy saved like 5 touchdowns this season on special teams. Not bad for a sophomore. He's a good gamecock, and I hope they can get him more involved in the offense or defense.
You are right... There are some games that we might have even LOST without his heads-up play on special teams. No question.
__________________
Cream the Kadiddlehoppers!
Garnet Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #45
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%
 
PageUSC's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charleston
Posts: 5,406
CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
You are right... There are some games that we might have even LOST without his heads-up play on special teams. No question.
You're right! I know he saved atleast 2 TDs. Wasn't 1 in the Vandy game? We could of lost against Vandy if not for that.
PageUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #46
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC
 
yazoo's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tryon, NC
Posts: 4,330
CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I don't know them off of the top of my head honestly, but I know there have been more than 2. Byrd doesn't get that many targets anyways, and a lot of them have been on slip screens, so those numbers are misleading. I'm not referring to just this year either, it's happened his whole career. Wasn't it his very first catch that was a wide open post route TD vs UK in 2011 that he dropped? It's not just that he drops passes, it's that he drops big passes on down field throws and most of his drops have not been on super tough catches. I went back and watched the LSU drop several times and it was not like it would have been a circus catch. Bottom line is that the coaches are limiting his PT and it's pretty obvious why. DL and Byrd are the only players who have had consistent problems with drops and they have both had their PT cut back. Guys like Bruce, Ace, and Jones have sure hands and that's why they are on the field. Byrd's drops have been egregious- I can't think of a single drop that Ace, Bruce, or even Jones has had that has been on par with the type of drops that Byrd has had. It's not necessarily the number of drops that he's had, it's the combination of the amount of drops and the types of drops they've been.

Don't get me wrong, people. I love Byrd. He was one of my favorite players during his first offseason here when he was burning defenders and tearing it up. I just can't act like his hands are not the main thing holding him back. I am really pulling for him to soften those hands up, because I think if he does, he can be big time weapon.
I don't recall any other than the two listed. Maybe you're really not so much in love with byrd and have to exaggerate in order to prove your point that he sucks, which he does NOT and it is only in your mind that he has so many drops.

You're probably one of those fans that are so irritating to sit near, loudly exclaming to anyone within earshot, Spurrier needs to get him out of there, or move him to cornerback, which is not a good position since he is too small for it.
__________________
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #47
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned
 
Cock Kool-Aid's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Appalachian Trail
Posts: 3,260
CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I don't recall any other than the two listed. Maybe you're really not so much in love with byrd and have to exaggerate in order to prove your point that he sucks, which he does NOT and it is only in your mind that he has so many drops.

You're probably one of those fans that are so irritating to sit near, loudly exclaming to anyone within earshot, Spurrier needs to get him out of there, or move him to cornerback, which is not a good position since he is too small for it.
Calm down, old man. I'm actually nothing like that. I've never once taken any issue with his size or suggested he should be moved to defense, nor did I say anything of the sort in this thread. I am a big proponent of Byrd and I was hyping him up to be a big contributor after watching every practice of his true freshman preseason in person. The guy has been inconsistent catching the ball and I just wrote a complete rational paragraph explaining my point. Anyone who thinks Byrd doesn't need to improve his hands simply hasn't been watching the games or is just refusing to admit the obvious because of some skewed sense of loyalty to the player. I believe that Byrd has dropped wide open passes more than any other current receiver on our roster, except for maybe DL. That's the bottom line. I am hoping like hell that he fixes this one part of his game, because if he does, he can be a lethal player. Find someone else to make brash, false assumptions about and quit attacking me personally.

Oh and I sure as hell never said that Byrd "sucks"... wtf... this is the same ridiculous logic you exhibited by labeling anyone who thinks Byrd needs to improve aspects of his game as a "byrd-hater".

Last edited by Cock Kool-Aid; 12-05-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #48
b381l
Heisman Winner
 
b381l's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 23,240
CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

I think Damiere has had a few drops and has just lacked consistency.
Maybe SOS has lost some confidence in him. Didn't he make a mistake running back a kickoff and maybe have a fumble as well. He doesn't look that elusive to me either. It's the same with DL....just doesn't catch the passes that are thrown to him. Granted, neither have had that many opportunities this year, but you got to do better than that.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #49
scgamecocks1984
5 Star QB
 
scgamecocks1984's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pelzer, SC
Posts: 75
CockyCash: 500
scgamecocks1984 has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Good point! I forgot to say that in my post even though I was thinking it. Haha

And yea no one is a "Byrd hater", we all want him to be successful. Pointing out that he faded out towards the end of the year does not mean you are hating on someone.

Jones and byrd are both Slot receivers though???
scgamecocks1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #50
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik
 
CoverTwo's Avatar
 
Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 35,449
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Jones plays the B, Byrd plays the Z (slot)
__________________
Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #51
b381l
Heisman Winner
 
b381l's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 23,240
CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Jones plays the B, Byrd plays the Z (slot)
So why do you think he hasn't gotten more opportunities this year.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #52
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik
 
CoverTwo's Avatar
 
Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 35,449
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Already explained that in a earlier post in this thread
__________________
Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #53
ZenUSC
Two Deep
 
ZenUSC's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lexington
Posts: 1,172
CockyCash: 500
ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockaThaWalk View Post
Start DT, then he'll get some catches.
I thought Shaw was holding the ball too much too. He had 6 completions one game. It looked like Damiere was not completing patterns thinking Shaw was not going to throw to anyone anyhow. Byrd was an excellent special teams player. In that area he's already there. Play DT, I agree. He has the arm and makes use of his recevers. Why have Ace and Ellington but never throw to them?
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #54
Dizzy01
Game MVP
 
Dizzy01's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,622
CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Byrd is used as a decoy on a lot of plays. When he comes in there are essentially two plays run where he either comes on a reverse or just runs as deep as he can. On most of these plays he's rarely the primary target and he's being used to pull a safety deep and open up more of the middle of the field.

All of the receivers and TEs have had drops at inopportune times this season the main difference is with his limited reps Byrd has less opportunity to make people forget a play.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #55
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC
 
yazoo's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tryon, NC
Posts: 4,330
CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Calm down, old man. I'm actually nothing like that. I've never once taken any issue with his size or suggested he should be moved to defense, nor did I say anything of the sort in this thread. I am a big proponent of Byrd and I was hyping him up to be a big contributor after watching every practice of his true freshman preseason in person. The guy has been inconsistent catching the ball and I just wrote a complete rational paragraph explaining my point. Anyone who thinks Byrd doesn't need to improve his hands simply hasn't been watching the games or is just refusing to admit the obvious because of some skewed sense of loyalty to the player. I believe that Byrd has dropped wide open passes more than any other current receiver on our roster, except for maybe DL. That's the bottom line. I am hoping like hell that he fixes this one part of his game, because if he does, he can be a lethal player. Find someone else to make brash, false assumptions about and quit attacking me personally.

Oh and I sure as hell never said that Byrd "sucks"... wtf... this is the same ridiculous logic you exhibited by labeling anyone who thinks Byrd needs to improve aspects of his game as a "byrd-hater".
Your paragraph might arguably have been rationional, son, but it lacked any substance of any nature whatsoever.
__________________
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #56
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned
 
Cock Kool-Aid's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Appalachian Trail
Posts: 3,260
CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Your paragraph might arguably have been rationional, son, but it lacked any substance of any nature whatsoever.
OK. Damiere Byrd doesn't need to improve his hands. I'm sorry, everyone.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #57
Emery
Bowl MVP
 
Emery's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lexington SC
Posts: 2,071
CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

I don't know where the blame here lies but when our number 3 WR by receptions has 5 more receptions than tackles (12 rec and 7 tackles) something is not quite right. And the fact he hasn't caught a pass since the LSU game at the beginning of October.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #58
Cheezy
Banned
 
Cheezy's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Columbia
Posts: 3,161
CockyCash: 1001240
Cheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Is he related to Ronnie Garvin?
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #59
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC
 
yazoo's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tryon, NC
Posts: 4,330
CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
OK. Damiere Byrd doesn't need to improve his hands. I'm sorry, everyone.
If that was what you said, I would have agreed with you. There is no receiver who does not need to improve. However, your premise was

Quote:
I believe at this point that he has been passed by Nick Jones on the depth chart at his position. I know we definitely threw the ball to him in the UT game because Shaw hit him perfectly in stride and he let the ball hit him in the face... probably one of the reasons that his PT seems to have been reduced.
You agreed with the OP's highly critical post on Byrd

Quote:
Where has he been? The guy hasn't made a catch since the LSU game. I've barely since him on the field. At one point, he was really stepping up, but then just went cold. Any ideas?
That constitutes byrd-hating in my book . . . and it is unfair to the young man. But, you are entitled to your opinions. I am entitled to mine . . . byrd-hater.
__________________
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #60
B&GSpur
Blue Chip
 
B&GSpur's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 755
CockyCash: 500
B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs
Default Re: Damiere Byrd

I'll go with the coaches, they call the plays and review the plays. If they think he is not getting the job done, so be it. If he were getting the job done on his end, the coaches would have more trust in him and he would be getting more PT.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development