CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Spurticus
Acockolypse Now
gamecockgal
spareparts
Gamecocks1137
B-G
MEL
MisterClowney
Regalcock
Ace suspended 4 game (1971)
Top 10 Reasons Why T (1683)
Holy Hell, Indeed, S (1456)
watching the Alabama (507)
Da'Quan Bowers had a (386)
A good friend of min (356)
Jake Coker (353)
ESPN Insider (277)
Dan Patrick Show - P (255)
Phil Steele's Colleg (171)
Texags
Let's talk Italian
2015 - Ty'Son Williams
Sidney Rice Retiring From
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 - Christian Pellage
Places to eat in Conway?
Ace suspended 4 games
Official SEC Network and
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas

View Poll Results: Is Clowney the best to ever play the postion of DE in all of College ball? EVER
Yes 78 65.00%
No 42 35.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs
Default Is Clowney the best to ever play DE ever? In college?

My thought.. yes he is. Poll for you guys.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
Jacoby4usc
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Jacoby4usc is learning to peckJacoby4usc is learning to peck
Default Re: Is Clowney the best to ever play DE ever? In college?

I think he is one of the best prospects to come out of high school, but i would wait until after next year to say that he's the best ever. I think after his time here is up people will say that he was one of, if not the best, DE to ever play.
Jacoby4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Idk myself. It is watching him get double, and then tripled, sometimes quad teamed. He still comes out and gets that sack or disrupts.

I feel like he is the best player to ever play this position in the history of college football.

Just my two cents. I have never seen anything like it, not before, the last 20 years, or today. It is something about this guy, that says, All-American or nothing.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Not yet but we will know next year if he stays healthy. I worry about every team in sec game planning .against him next year. Gonna have to move him around.

I can see him being the dominant passrusher in the nfl for a decade. His blend of power and speed is uncanny.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #5
Flips
Two Deep

Male

Flips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talons

Please show me one example where he gets QUADRUPLE teamed. That never happened.
Flips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 7920
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flips View Post
Please show me one example where he gets QUADRUPLE teamed. That never happened.
Lol I dunno, if you include RB blocking it's not that hard to imagine (we often drop one of our lineman and only rush 3, and you have 5-6 OL/TE + an RB in the backfield).
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

He could very well be the best ever. I compare him to one of Spurrier's former Gators, Jevon Kearse (the freak), who was simply nasty at DE. JD's stat's are much better than Kearse's were at this stage of his career.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
DGCrocket
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 700
DGCrocket has hatched from the shell

just think how many sacks he would have if he were in a pass-happy league like the big 12 or pac 12...25 per year?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Let's see how next year goes before we state this categorically. I think he is but lets have his play determine it and then we can crow that we had the best DE play here!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
roosterdave
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 553
roosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his comb

I voted no simply because I think he can show us more next year, and i hope he does. Can't wait!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
JRob
Retired Rugger

Male

CockyCash: 100500
JRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to JRob Send a message via Yahoo to JRob

If he isn't he is darned close. Like a lot of others I would like to see him next year before making that accolade.
Now that he has become the first sophomore to win the Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks Award we can refer to him as "The Mad 'Cock"

JRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
uscsabres
4-Star

Male

uscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his comb

My dad said after watching the opener against USM last year that CLOWNEY reminded him of Bruce Smith when he was at VT. He never makes comparisons to HoFers, and that was just after four months out of high school!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

Derrick Thomas anyone? He played DE in college and had 27 sacks...in one year

There was also a pretty good DE in Knoxville named Reggie White
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

I want to say yes with Garnet Goggles on but then i have say that the verdict is still out there! This needs to be answered at a later date. But up to this point in his collegiate career the answer is yes!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

SpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post

What were Thomas' career numbers for his first three years in college?
SpurProsecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Quote:

Yeah DT was a beast!! Just have to see what happens next year with JD!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #17
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Quote:

Derrick Thomas and Charles Woodson are up there. Steve Entman was another that always impressed me.

David Pollack probably wasn't as talented as Clowney, but his work ethic and football intelligence made him one of the best CFB players I've seen.
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #18
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervous

Terell Suggs played a lot with his hand in the ground at Arizona state. He had like 24 sacks in one year.

Not a true DE. just thought I would at least point him out though.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #19
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post
Terell Suggs played a lot with his hand in the ground at Arizona state. He had like 24 sacks in one year.

Not a true DE. just thought I would at least point him out though.
What do you mean by not a true DE?
He like Pollack played DE in college, and because of their size moved to LB in the pros.
In terms of college players, they're true DEs.
(He actually won the first ever Ted Hendricks award in 2002)

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:

Wonder if the refs called holding backthen b/cthey sure as hell do not now.
gamecockphan is online now   Reply With Quote