CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
MountainCock
QCB
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
COCKYTALKIN
taylorssc
MDF DUST
Outland
The Yancey
The Gator Bowl wants (1993)
USC will upset Aubur (1576)
In-state QB talent (1271)
In-state QB talent (968)
Texas athletic direc (740)
Which loss hurt wors (724)
Ranking the SEC Foot (582)
USC Picked 12th By S (512)
Rank the QBs under S (469)
BA ranks recruiting (454)
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
Who start on the d line t
lack of production=
Ranking the SEC Football
Gameday parking in Auburn
Rank the QBs under Spurri
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Google finally gets it ri
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti

View Poll Results: Is Clowney the best to ever play the postion of DE in all of College ball? EVER
Yes 78 65.00%
No 42 35.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #21
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Is Clowney the best to ever play DE ever? In college?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Wonder if the refs called holding backthen b/cthey sure as hell do not now.
It was worse and chop blocking and hands to the face were legal
Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #22
Go Cocks 29
Hall of Famer

Male

CockyCash: 348
Go Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPit

I think we have to be sure and not allow pro careers to influence opinions which is always hard to do - my true college performance list of greats in the last 20 years includes (ya'll help me out with some names):

peppers - unc
guy who played for amato at nc state
dude that was a beast at troy
pollack - but let's be honest: we hold him high because he beat us with the play of a lifetime

out of all of these guys, I don't think any of them could outperform clowney in any type of performance based evaluation as sophs in college

I do believe he is better than any DE i have ever witnessed play the college game!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cocks 29 View Post
I think we have to be sure and not allow pro careers to influence opinions which is always hard to do - my true college performance list of greats in the last 20 years includes (ya'll help me out with some names):

peppers - unc
guy who played for amato at nc state
dude that was a beast at troy
pollack - but let's be honest: we hold him high because he beat us with the play of a lifetime

out of all of these guys, I don't think any of them could outperform clowney in any type of performance based evaluation as sophs in college

I do believe he is better than any DE i have ever witnessed play the college game!
Mario Williams-NC st
Osi Umenyiora-Troy

Think about that a min Troy had Osi & Demarcus Ware
Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #24
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Yea Troy could be both Osi and Ware.
Ware was definitely better in college.
He was a true DE in college, but moved to LB in the pros in Dallas' 3-4

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #25
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

Clowney, when's it's all said and done will be in the dicussion as one of the greatest DEs to play college football. But THE best? His stats won't add up earn that title.. Unless he bust off like 20+ sacks next year.

If he had gone to a pass happy conference like the ACC or B1G, his numbers would be ridiculous.

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #26
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Big Ten is not pass happy, think your confusing it with PAC 12

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #27
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

He is definitely one of the best in terms of rushing the passer but to be the best overall I believe he still needs to work on run containment and his tackling overall. When he tackles he doesn't seem to adjust for his height and he's grabbing smaller guys in the shoulders and they can shake him off.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #28
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 200
behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

Yes..especially when he wins the Heisman next year...wishful thinking.

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #29
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Don't forget about Julius Peppers.

I think Clowney is a generational talent, but I also don't think he's reached his ceiling yet. At this point in time, you can't really say he's the best ever at his position.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #30
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

I think by the time he leaves here next year, he'll be the best DE we've
had in USCs History, but there were a lot of other great DEs that I think
had better careers than Clowney will have.

Hugh Greene from Pittsburg (Late 70s/Early 80s) was the best I ever saw in
my lifetime.

Reggie White, Julius Peppers all these were probably better DEs during
their college careers than Clowney, but it was a different time, and
style of Football then. I think if you put a guy with Clowney's speed and
wingspan and play him against offensive formations and O/Linemen
that the above guys (and others) did, I think Clowney could have gone
down in History as THE BEST to have ever played DE.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #31
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

I was born in 79 dont have memories of reggie white and bruce smith in college who my dad says was the best he saw. For me it is terrell suggs because i used to watch a lot of pac 10 and all most went to school there he was a stud had something like 46 sacks with 22the in one year.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #32
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flips View Post
Please show me one example where he gets QUADRUPLE teamed. That never happened.
Came from a Lorenzo Ward post game. He said Clowney came off the field and told him they had 4 guys blocking at him. Ward said he told him, "Good, somebody else will be open then".
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #33
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCremedy View Post
Clowney, when's it's all said and done will be in the dicussion as one of the greatest DEs to play college football. But THE best? His stats won't add up earn that title.. Unless he bust off like 20+ sacks next year.

If he had gone to a pass happy conference like the ACC or B1G, his
numbers would be ridiculous.
Actually, if they had a stat called "plays affected", JD would already have the record.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #34
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

I voted no, but he hasn't reached his full potential yet. Considering his foot was injured from the week of the LSU game on, he had an incredible season.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #35
GetemGamecocks
4-Star

Male

GetemGamecocks is making other chickens nervousGetemGamecocks is making other chickens nervousGetemGamecocks is making other chickens nervousGetemGamecocks is making other chickens nervousGetemGamecocks is making other chickens nervousGetemGamecocks is making other chickens nervousGetemGamecocks is making other chickens nervous

Who the "best" is will usually be someone's subjective opinion.

Clowney may not have the stats (an objective measure) some other DEs did, but like Spurt said if you could put him in a different era on a different team, he could be known today as the greatest ever without question. Unfortunately he plays in the SEC with the big boys during a period of SEC dominance. On the bright side, his level of competition will help his NFL stock and in the meantime, our Gamecocks.
GetemGamecocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #36
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Clowney is still young. Julius Peppers may be the best I've ever seen in college. But by the time he leaves Clowney may well be the best.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #37
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Clowney plays in a tough conference to get sacks. But his conditioning has held him back most from being considered the best ever. Best ever SEC end perhaps if he has another monster year.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #38
Go Cocks 29
Hall of Famer

Male

CockyCash: 348
Go Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPitGo Cocks 29 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
Mario Williams-NC st
Osi Umenyiora-Troy

Think about that a min Troy had Osi & Demarcus Ware

Demarcus Ware is who I was thinking about - remember him being awesome in college and I believe we played them when he was there
Old 12-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #39
OfficeLinebackerCock
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1230
OfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
My thought.. yes he is. Poll for you guys.
There have been some pretty good ones in the past (and that's just the ones that I remember). The most recent that is probably on par with JC is Julius Peppers. I think they compare favorably.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #40
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

I would say Clowney is on the list of "Ten Best DEs" ever, but I don't think you can rank those ten 1-10 because they played at different times against different styles of play. Kind of like determining whether Manning or Brady is better than Unitas or Montana.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote