CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
b381l
COCKYTALKIN
sporkgod50
Acockolypse Now
thekob
Rooster'srule
spareparts
Lonnie
StormOfTalons
Elcid99 (2598)
PSU drops a prospect (1517)
Bad movies that are (799)
Mizzou WR suspended (601)
John Abraham DUI (565)
Best Offensive " (426)
Rokevious Watkins cu (373)
I was there, when (338)
Re-Airing South Caro (330)
Travelle Warton reti (284)
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
Green and Lammons
Fall Camp.
Clemson Recruiting...how
An Aggies View of the Mat
Shaw Interview: SB Nation
Mizzou WR suspended for s
PSU drops a prospect beca
2015 Commitment - A.J. Tu
Travelle Warton retires

Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material
Default Re: Will we have a coach in waiting?

nope
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #22
1st USC fool 1801
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 380
1st USC fool 1801 has hatched from the shell

That's 3 years down the road. There is more important things to look ahead. Like SEC title, maybe national title, recruiting and so on.
1st USC fool 1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #23
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Initially, I thought this gig was GA Mangus' to lose but it looks like GA has, at least temporarily, dug a ditch he can't get out of. But really, he makes the most sense because he knows the system, he has head coaching and OC experience (albeit at a lower division), and he can flat out recruit his ass off.

But right now, I think Coach Tanner is going to go with the smoothest transition. So that is why I think, now, Whammy is going to be the leader in the clubhouse when the time to replace Spurrier comes. I may be wrong, but I think he has to know that he has a better than average chance of getting this job if he sticks around. Unlike EJ, Whammy is still relatively young and is still growing in the profession. I think the next order of business will be to name him assistant head coach (if he doesn't already have the title, I forget) or give him the head coach in charge of the defense title.

What I do know is that when the time nears, Tanner and Spurrier are going to have a plan laid out and that should ease the stress of a lot of USC fans. I just don't think Tanner and Spurrier are going to be going outside the family for a replacement though unless it is someone with a strong Spurrier tie.
I could definitely see it playing out like that but to me he needs another year or two of success before the assistant HC. Tye Nix was doing great for a couple of seasons too. all of this assumes we continue to win bigtime and get an SEC or two. Otherwise things will probably turn sour at the end and we'll want a totally new regime. Although, I expect coach spurrier will always have influence in Carolina sports from now on, if he wants it. One thing is I have absolute confidence in Tanner's ability to identify good candidates, not botch a search by getting rejected multiple times and to sell his candidate on Carolina. Also, respect for not going with "pissed it away" there.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #24
cjssax
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1000
cjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his claws

Danny Ford

cjssax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #25
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjssax View Post
Danny Ford
Never heard of him.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #26
cjssax
Recruit

Male

cjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his claws

cjssax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #27
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

As of now, this could change, Whammy is my choice. Proved he can run the defense. Can recruit! Would just need to get the right OC.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #28
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

I don't think we will see a HCIW but you will see Spurrier have input on the next coach quite like Lou did with Spurrier.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #29
crazy8s
Walk On

Male

crazy8s has hatched from the shell

i think its a bad idea. never have been a fan. next hire has to be somebody that want send us back down. None of these Spooky woods hires or brad scott hires. go after somebody proven.
crazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #30
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

When the HBC leaves there will be a nationwide search, we will be at point and be able to steal a head coach from a major team out of a big time conference like Arky did.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #31
Cigaro
I drink your milkshake

Male

CockyCash: 50092224
Cigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot material

Hopefully not. I don't like the title in the first place because it unnecessarily limits a team when replacing their head coach. You can still hire that assistant to takeover without the HCIW tag, while also being able to interview potentially better candidates. In addition, I simply wouldn't pick anyone on our current staff to takeover full head coaching duties.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #32
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

having a head coach in waiiting causes too many problems. i got no problem hiring from within down the line if thats the best move, but giving someone that title for the sake of continuity and recruiting hasnt really worked anywhere.

i dont think spurrier would go for it either, feeling like it puts a countdown on his tenure and sort of undermines his authority.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #33
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

SpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Initially, I thought this gig was GA Mangus' to lose but it looks like GA has, at least temporarily, dug a ditch he can't get out of. But really, he makes the most sense because he knows the system, he has head coaching and OC experience (albeit at a lower division), and he can flat out recruit his ass off.

But right now, I think Coach Tanner is going to go with the smoothest transition. So that is why I think, now, Whammy is going to be the leader in the clubhouse when the time to replace Spurrier comes. I may be wrong, but I think he has to know that he has a better than average chance of getting this job if he sticks around. Unlike EJ, Whammy is still relatively young and is still growing in the profession. I think the next order of business will be to name him assistant head coach (if he doesn't already have the title, I forget) or give him the head coach in charge of the defense title.

What I do know is that when the time nears, Tanner and Spurrier are going to have a plan laid out and that should ease the stress of a lot of USC fans. I just don't think Tanner and Spurrier are going to be going outside the family for a replacement though unless it is someone with a strong Spurrier tie.
Good points ... we would just need a solid Offensive Coordinator under Whammy.
SpurProsecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #34
толстый Cock
Recruit

Male

толстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCWriter View Post
Spurrier Jr. would be awful.
Why?
толстый Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #35
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

HCIW is an awful idea.

I always think about Joker Phillips. He was a HCIW.

If Kentucky did an actual national search for a HC after Brooks left, they would've had a much better opportunity to not suck. However, they were locked in with Joker, and we all see how that turned out.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #36
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

I hate the whole idea of HCIW. Any time a HC slot comes open, you want to find the best guy, and it may turn out that he's not the one the job has been promised to.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #37
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

HC in waiting ? Don't think so................. But, the new head coach will probably be a defining moment in our football progam, as well as Tanner's AD tenure. Lets hope its a home run................
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #38
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Yes, right after we hire an OC.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #39
scfanz
Starter

Male

scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

I certainly hope not.Those never turn out very well.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #40
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCWriter View Post
Spurrier Jr. would be awful.
I don't like the idea of having a head coach in waiting. Naturally, the top assistants will be candidates when that time comes, but there may also be another incredible candidate available (in that hopefully far-off year) that we'd be foolish to pass on.

That said, every time the subject comes up, people feel the need to bash Spurrier Junior. What has he done to deserve that treatment? He seems like a solid coach, a good recruiter, and a good guy. I just don't understand the bashing. He may never become a head coach here, but I'll bet good money that he becomes a head coach somewhere, someday. And after years of learning by his dad's side, I'll bet he becomes a good one. To declare that he "would be awful" is asinine.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote