CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
JaxcockFL
doubledribble
SMOTFS86
GregoryHouse
Cockhornleghorn
B-G
Regalcock
JerseyBird
2014 Subway Classic: (2065)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1551)
Former Gamecock root (1412)
Franks boy's are pla (1243)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (572)
Has the window close (570)
Kentucky is dominati (545)
Bruce!!! (516)
Question for those w (445)
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Has the window closed for
The Vent and Coaching cha
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Bruce!!!
Franks boy's are playing
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Question for those who ha
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
Decommitment from Texas A

Old 12-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #41
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material
Default Re: Will we have a coach in waiting?

I KNOW I will catch some grief here, but let me first say that I hope Coach S stays for the next five years and longer if he wants to. However, I think Coach signed the extension this time MORE for recruiting purposes than to say he'll be here for certain for the next five years, etc. He even hinted that when he DOES go that it will be QUICK and without any fuss.

I think that COULD happen either if we were to WIN the National Championship next year or if something relatively negative were to happen that would take the fun (that he's having now) out of it.

That said, when Georgia kept bitching about Mark Richt, I kept thinking to myself that I would hope that Georgia would keep him around with some perfect timing such that he'd available when Coach Spurrier hangs up the cleats.

Coach Richt is a great recruiter; a "disciple" of Bobby Bowden; loved by his players and an obvious great coach. Remember that we kind of owe Holtz for basically recruiting Coach Spurrier to come to USC.

Holtz made the call, the pitch and had a lot to do with bringing Spurrier here. Obviously TIMING is everything, but if things were to time out that Georgia were to win say eight games next year, Richt COULD be on the hotseat again and I think he'd be great for USC.

Additionally, he has amazing connections in Georgia, Florida and SC, and the best coaches in the SEC don't seem to leave the conference - they move around. Case in point - Saban. Hell Les Miles was considering leaving LSU and head to Arkansas, etc.

The SEC has the best coaches and Richt is one of them. It would be a win for USC in my opinion.

Again saying all of this, I hope Coach S is around for the full contract and more, but IF he were to begin think that way, AND if Richt were available...

Screw the coaches in waiting thing because frankly right now I don't think we have a REAL HEAD COACH candidate on our team unless it was Whammy and I think that would not be the best we could get...for certain.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #42
CockyMBA
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshell View Post
HCIW is essentially a dead tag since the NCAA amended its rules so that HCIW's have to follow the same restricted recruiting guidelines as a head coach. Thus, you don't see HCIW anymore because it limits two coaching staff members instead of one. There may be informal agreements, but the official HCIW is pretty detrimental to recruiting unless you have a 90 year old coach and it's a legitimate concern to recruits who the next coach will be. In that case the old guy probably isn't doing too much recruiting to begin with.

I don't think there are any more HCIW left in America now that Muschamp, Fisher and Franklin took HC jobs. Might be wrong though
And notice 2 of those 3 coaches took head coaching jobs...somewhere else. So the practice, seemingly to lock a good coach into your program, has already proved ineffective.

Also, I think Joker Phillips was the HCIW. He's now the WR coach at UF.
CockyMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #43
usc91ece
Recruit

Male

usc91ece is learning to peck

It would be pretty dumb to not do some succession planning. Certainly Tanner will prepare.
usc91ece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #44
jonick
4-Star

Male

jonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudly

It should be an experience Head Coach, with a proven track record..I heard today even though he got 8 yrs...Charlie Strong is or would be interested in the position....but who knows....
jonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #45
BuCockyfan
Two Deep

Male

BuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
When the HBC leaves there will be a nationwide search, we will be at point and be able to steal a head coach from a major team out of a big time conference like Arky did.
"You may say...I'm a dreamer...."
BuCockyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #46
omg we won
Walk On

Male

omg we won is learning to peckomg we won is learning to peck

Marcus Lattimore will have a record breaking career in the NFL and return to South Carolina and coach them to their third national championship in five years said I.

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
omg we won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #47
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Just to clarify...I'm not a fan of the "coach in waiting tag" myself.

If the best man for the job is on the staff...give him the job.
Or, if the players know there will be a transition (kinda like how we did in baseball with Tanner and Holbrook) then that works. Works well for recruiting and continuity.

But, if the best man for the job is from another school, go get him.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #48
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonick View Post
It should be an experience Head Coach, with a proven track record..I heard today even though he got 8 yrs...Charlie Strong is or would be interested in the position....but who knows....
Now that would be an interesting thing.
Strong is showing he knows not only how to manage a team, but build it.
The key now will be to see if he can maintain Louisville.

The only problem with Strong may be his loyalty.
He has said he didn't take the UT job because it would be a slap in the face to the L'ville administration, so he may not leave.

I know, loyalty being a fault is not really a fault.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #49
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

i personally want someone to make their name here... not someone who made their name at another big program and came to use second... young up and coming coach that could continue the success SOS started and lets keep him around here for a long time... but that just me
Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #50
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

As long as the next coach doesn't ruin the defensive tone USC has shown for the past few years, everything will be fine.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #51
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

spurrier will "recommend" a certain coach and it will happen. wouldnt shock me yo get bobb stoops as a hc down the line.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #52
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCWriter View Post
Spurrier Jr. would be awful.
How so? under his watch we have been great at the receiving core, 2 players already in the first ROUND. Not really first but I consider (ALSHON AND SIDNEY) basically first round. He is also the son of a genius, he has the genes.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #53
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

no. Coaches in waiting dont work...Joker Phillips @ UK, Muschamp @ UT, the guy at UMD after the Fridge are just a few examples.

Coach in waiting locks you in to a guy..why not survey the marketplace and get the best you can???
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #54
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
no. Coaches in waiting dont work...Joker Phillips @ UK, Muschamp @ UT, the guy at UMD after the Fridge are just a few examples.

Coach in waiting locks you in to a guy..why not survey the marketplace and get the best you can???
What's funny about this is only one of those actually ended up coaching at the school they were HCIW, the worst team in SECE and got fired..the other two are successful coaches at new schools..which also happen to be in the SEC East
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #55
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
What's funny about this is only one of those actually ended up coaching at the school they were HCIW, the worst team in SECE and got fired..the other two are successful coaches at new schools..which also happen to be in the SEC East
all the more reason why it doesnt work for the school that named a HCIW
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #56
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
all the more reason why it doesnt work for the school that named a HCIW
Well, it's safe to say they had 2 good candidates picked out. They just were off on their timing, planning etc.. I don't know about a HCIW but kinda like how Wisconsin did with Alvarez/Bielema I could possibly see happening with Spurrier/Ward..given all the variables were to fall into place. Still a ways to go though
Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #57
cjssax
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1000
cjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
spurrier will "recommend" a certain coach and it will happen. wouldnt shock me yo get bobb stoops as a hc down the line.
I doubt he would ever leave Oklahoma, If he was going to ever done it, it would of been after Spurrier left Florida

cjssax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #58
SpurProsecutor
Banned

Male

SpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
I KNOW I will catch some grief here, but let me first say that I hope Coach S stays for the next five years and longer if he wants to. However, I think Coach signed the extension this time MORE for recruiting purposes than to say he'll be here for certain for the next five years, etc. He even hinted that when he DOES go that it will be QUICK and without any fuss.

I think that COULD happen either if we were to WIN the National Championship next year or if something relatively negative were to happen that would take the fun (that he's having now) out of it.

That said, when Georgia kept bitching about Mark Richt, I kept thinking to myself that I would hope that Georgia would keep him around with some perfect timing such that he'd available when Coach Spurrier hangs up the cleats.

Coach Richt is a great recruiter; a "disciple" of Bobby Bowden; loved by his players and an obvious great coach. Remember that we kind of owe Holtz for basically recruiting Coach Spurrier to come to USC.

Holtz made the call, the pitch and had a lot to do with bringing Spurrier here. Obviously TIMING is everything, but if things were to time out that Georgia were to win say eight games next year, Richt COULD be on the hotseat again and I think he'd be great for USC.

Additionally, he has amazing connections in Georgia, Florida and SC, and the best coaches in the SEC don't seem to leave the conference - they move around. Case in point - Saban. Hell Les Miles was considering leaving LSU and head to Arkansas, etc.

The SEC has the best coaches and Richt is one of them. It would be a win for USC in my opinion.

Again saying all of this, I hope Coach S is around for the full contract and more, but IF he were to begin think that way, AND if Richt were available...

Screw the coaches in waiting thing because frankly right now I don't think we have a REAL HEAD COACH candidate on our team unless it was Whammy and I think that would not be the best we could get...for certain.
I have to disagree on this point. Richt is NOT a great coach ... that program, despite some success, has wholly underwhelmed under Coach Richt despite their riches of talent, tradition, $$, facilities, and fan support. Richt is a great recruiter and has tremendous character, but he is not in the same wheelhouse with the other great coaches in the SEC like the HBC, Saban, and even an offensive genius like Petrino (who is otherwise a scumbag).

The UGA fanbase has always complained that Richt is too nice a guy, a poor motivator with his too calm demeanor, and that he has been too loyal to his underperforming coordinators (Willie Martinez/Mike Bobo, etc.), so Carolina could very easily regress under Coach Richt if he were to take the job.
SpurProsecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #59
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Richt would be a terrible hire for USC, imo
Old 12-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #60
GamecockTim1992
Walk On

Male

GamecockTim1992 has hatched from the shell

Jon Gruden, anyone? Anyone? Bueller? [cue crickets]
GamecockTim1992 is offline   Reply With Quote