CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
NinjaSven
Jim Lahey
Storm Of Spurs
roosterdude21
donbgamecock
kingofnerf
wincocks84
Sandstorm29
So, why is next year (2519)
How Long Will The Re (1700)
Why do so many of yo (1231)
Restaurant musts in (1202)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (893)
Shot in the arm for (881)
Custom Jersey (496)
5 Gourmet Foods That (355)
Abu Bowl Ready (279)
The pets holiday din (206)
looks like we have 2 OL r
Nosovitch/bowl/ question.
So, why is next year goin
Beat Miami
The Vent and Coaching cha
5 Gourmet Foods That Used
Previewing Clemson
2016 - Jordan Giberti
How Long Will The Rebuild
Marquavius Lewis

View Poll Results: Is Clowney the best to ever play the postion of DE in all of College ball? EVER
Yes 78 65.00%
No 42 35.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #41
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material
Default Re: Is Clowney the best to ever play DE ever? In college?

Hugh Green hasn't been mentioned yet?

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #42
Barry_gamecock
Average a post a day

Male

CockyCash: 327
Barry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot material

I think Clowney could get 20 sacks next year. If he does, I will call him the best. As far as just sacks go though, cant touch Derrick Thomas. Clowney actually needs to get a lot better against the run. I would rather have Sam Montgomery against the run. Hopefully another year in the weight room will change that.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #43
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_gamecock View Post
I think Clowney could get 20 sacks next year. If he does, I will call him the best. As far as just sacks go though, cant touch Derrick Thomas. Clowney actually needs to get a lot better against the run. I would rather have Sam Montgomery against the run. Hopefully another year in the weight room will change that.
he is the only player ihave ever seen where i expect an impact play every snap..derrick thomas was a sheer pleasure too watch. amazing damb fb player.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #44
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

As good as JC is, there is no way he is the best all time.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #45
cmmuir
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
cmmuir has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Clowney is a fine well spoken young man who obviously has a lot of respect for the game, the state and Gamecock nation. Congrats my man. I haven't seen a better grown man collegiate athlete since Peppers. Hey Frank M., have you tried to tell this guy to dominate the offensive boards. Just a thought.
cmmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #46
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
How so? Explain?
How is anyone better than JD? You could argue Charlie Ward was a good player, cuz he won the Heisman, but sat on the bench a year.
My point is, who? Peppers? Yeah he had a great NFL career an is still going, but who has the impact that Clowney has?
Clowney by far has more of an impact than any defensive player in the history of college football.

Every team, they key on him, why? because he is that good.

You cannot compare anyone to Clowney. Why? Because the impact he makes in a game, is irrelevent to any stat sheet.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #47
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Peter Boulware is a guy I think I would still put ahead of him at this point.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #48
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

The best ever defensive end wouldnt lose the best overall defensive player to a linebacker from Notre Dame. Love the kid, amazing athlete, amazing talent, doing big things, but at this point, no.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #49
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
The best ever defensive end wouldnt lose the best overall defensive player to a linebacker from Notre Dame. Love the kid, amazing athlete, amazing talent, doing big things, but at this point, no.
How would you even begin to compare Teo to Clowney?
Old 12-07-2012, 02:05 AM   #50
Cuck Flemson
Super Moderator

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Bowl Winner Nascar Challenge: Nascar Challenge Winner - Given for: Winner of Segment 1 Nascar Challenge 
CockyCash: 1710278
Cuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I think by the time he leaves here next year, he'll be the best DE we've
had in USCs History, but there were a lot of other great DEs that I think
had better careers than Clowney will have.

Hugh Greene from Pittsburg (Late 70s/Early 80s) was the best I ever saw in
my lifetime.

Reggie White, Julius Peppers all these were probably better DEs during
their college careers than Clowney, but it was a different time, and
style of Football then. I think if you put a guy with Clowney's speed and
wingspan and play him against offensive formations and O/Linemen
that the above guys (and others) did, I think Clowney could have gone
down in History as THE BEST to have ever played DE.

Hands down Reggie White is the best I've ever saw play the position. He was a beast. No one could block him. Offensive line nightmare.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #51
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuck Flemson View Post
Hands down Reggie White is the best I've ever saw play the position. He was a beast. No one could block him. Offensive line nightmare.
I disagree completely. White was good, but Clowney is an has been better.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #52
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Clowney has a long way to go before he can match David Pollacks motor...it's still going!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #53
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Seriously though, Clowney has a long way to go before anyone with a reasonable mind can call him the best. Can he top his 2012 sack total next season? We'll see.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #54
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
Seriously though, Clowney has a long way to go before anyone with a reasonable mind can call him the best. Can he top his 2012 sack total next season? We'll see.
I completely believe he can top 13 sacks next year. He may even top 15 this year, because there is still one game yet to be played. We will wait an see, but I don't care who anyone names. No one has the freakish Talent at DE that Clowney has. I have never seen it, and I have watched a lot of football, for a long time.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #55
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

I think he has the talent, but remember last year he didn't start. If he improves as much next year, then yes he will be. Has to improve against the run and just get more n more reps. His pro career should be something to see!
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #56
biltazar
Walk On

Male

biltazar has hatched from the shell

-Perhaps one of the best as a pass rusher, but anyone that is being objective has seen the opposition run the ball right through the position that he vacates getting up field as an attacker versus offenses. He is not yet a great run stopper from the DE position.

We use him to his strength, allowing him to rush high and wide as well as gamble on some loops and stunts to permit him to create negative plays such as sacks and TFLs. His total tackles is not that great because he plays much more on his athleticism that his skills, at least so far, but he has improved an awful lot from froshman to sophomore.
biltazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #57
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
How so? Explain?
How is anyone better than JD? You could argue Charlie Ward was a good player, cuz he won the Heisman, but sat on the bench a year.
My point is, who? Peppers? Yeah he had a great NFL career an is still going, but who has the impact that Clowney has?
Clowney by far has more of an impact than any defensive player in the history of college football.

Every team, they key on him, why? because he is that good.

You cannot compare anyone to Clowney. Why? Because the impact he makes in a game, is irrelevent to any stat sheet.
If this were the 60's or 70's there wasn't as much passing as there is now, so there wasn't as much of an opportunity to get sacks. Back then, playing DE was as much about stopping the run. The game has changed so much, it really is impossible to determine who is the best of all time. But to say Clowney is the best all time, is just not accurate. Plus, if you aren't at least 50, then you wouldn't have seen enough good players to make a fair determination.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #58
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 0
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Since the bowl game is yet to be played for this season, I'm only using the sack numbers from the regular season for last year and this year to come up with this forecast, but this should be proof that Clowney will be considered the greatest college DE statistically to play the game by the time he leaves South Carolina, until someone comes along and surpasses his total. Here it goes!

Clowney had 6 sacks in the regular season last year.
He earned 13 this year (should have been 14 in my opinion, but that's another subject), so that is an increase in production of 116.67%. Since we all know that he should have at least this same level of increase in what will probably be his last year in college, that should equate to him earning 28 sacks (rounding down) in the regular season next year. That will shatter the current NCAA record for sacks in a season of 24, will put him #1 in school history for career sacks by a large number (he only needs 8 to tie right now), and will give him the NCAA record for sacks in a career for Division I (currently 44) with the chance to break the record for career sacks for all levels of college football which is currently held by D III at 53.5. Of course this is all based on before the bowl game this season, so the record may end up being even closer than we imagined!

So there you have it, mathematical proof Clowney will go down in history as the greatest college DE ever!

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!

Last edited by Don Giovanni; 12-10-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #59
TAFC 5 1981
Two Deep

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Lee Roy Selman (Oklahoma) deserves a mention