CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Singaporecock
CoverTwo
2000grad
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
usc1
Cock Kool-Aid
Order 66
rosstheboss
uscsandstorm85
**USC vs. Charleston (4377)
Kelcy and Vic questi (2485)
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Steele projects AP t (900)
US Air nsfw tweet (732)
I like how Frank sou (665)
boiled peanuts (503)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal (463)
Tax day freebies (454)
Sweet Corn!!! (188)
Bamberg High School Baseb
Connor Mitch
Last 5 years in the SEC
2015 - Chris Clark
Aggie game coming in from
**USC vs. Charleston Sout
Bruce, Vic & Kelcy si
Name a Gamecock
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
The case for Clowney at #

Old 12-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #41
CCC
Her Modness

Female

CockyCash: 101500
CCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot material
Default Re: Charleston Eats

I would not steer you wrong! (just lock your car, LOL)
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #42
Wagz
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Wagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchite4 View Post
Lived in Charleston last 6 years, I'd suggest Basil for sure. You can definitely get a plate for under $20 and it will be much better than something you'd get at one of the tourist traps down on the Market. It's on upper king st, a few blocks north of Calhoun St. One of my favorite places down there, and don't have to worry about being underdressed in jeans and a button-up. Check out the menu: http://eatatbasil.com/ .
Basil is a great option, especially if you want to avoid seafood.
Wagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #43
uscguy89
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 200
uscguy89 is learning to peck

Try Bowens Island on the way to Folly Beach. As local as you can get. My wife and i go there all the time for dinner. Seafood is local and they give you alot of food for the money. Fish & shrimp platter w. fries , cole slaw & hushpuppies is 13.99. We usually bring home a box, can't eat it all. Right now they steamed oyster trays ( about 2 dozen) for 14.00. A guy steams them outside in a steamer. Great view on the river, not ritzi at all, very laid back with a local atmosphere. They also sell the different beers brewed in charleston.
uscguy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #44
scfanz
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

This isn't real fancy at all, but for breakfast try Sweetwater's on Market St. Very good grits.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #45
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagz View Post
Most people who enjoy shitty imported fried seafood do....
ewww burn! I'm questioning the very fiber of my being right now. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #46
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

If you like Steak, Grill 225 is fantastic...

For breakfast, the Hominy Grill is damn good.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #47
CockaThaWalk
Kick Dawgs Peel Taters

Male

CockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervous

EatatFig.com - THE best restaurant in Charleston.

twoboroughslarder.com/ - incredible local, well priced inspired food

luccacharleston.com/ - Best Italian in the city

www.themacintoshcharleston.com/ - Chef Bacon got serious skills. Go upstairs before to Cocktail Club
Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #48
Cockier than thou
Walk On

Male

Cockier than thou is sharpening his clawsCockier than thou is sharpening his clawsCockier than thou is sharpening his clawsCockier than thou is sharpening his claws

I would recommend The Grocery, The Macintosh (voted best burger in South Carolina). Take advice from someone who has lived in Charleston for 30 years.

http://thereynoldsgroupinc.com/newsgrocery/menu1.24.pdf

http://www.themacintoshcharleston.com/Dinner_Menu.pdf

They might be a little more expensive but $20- $25 ish but if you come to Charleston, at least sheck the menus out. I could recommend about 10 or so others but thats a good start
Cockier than thou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #49
kmcgarnet
Recruit

Female

kmcgarnet is developing his combkmcgarnet is developing his combkmcgarnet is developing his combkmcgarnet is developing his combkmcgarnet is developing his combkmcgarnet is developing his combkmcgarnet is developing his combkmcgarnet is developing his comb

Breakfast:
Hominy Grill. I love this place! When I lived in Charleston I didn't try many places for breakfast but between the ones I did try the Hominey Grill was the best.

Lunch:
The Tattooed Moose. A friend of mine ate here and loved it and shortly after I found out it was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

Dinner:
My first suggestion is Husk. Read their about (http://www.huskrestaurant.com/about/) and you'll see why they were voted the #1 restaurant in America not too long ago.
Other suggestions:
The Wreck on Shem Creek. This place doesn't look like much but they have good seafood.
Bocci's Italian Restaurant is good if you're looking for an Italian place.
Carter's Kitchen in Mt. Pleasant. I haven't tried this place but have heard many good things about it. It was recently featured in a Yahoo article.
The Macintosh was also featured in the Yahoo article. Heard good things about this place too but haven't tried it myself.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by kmcgarnet; 12-06-2012 at 11:57 PM.
kmcgarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #50
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 0
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Fuel

Tattooed Moose

Hominy Grill

The Wreck. If you don't eat seafood, which I can't comprehend , dont go.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #51
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Is vickery's still strong for fare other than seafood?
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #52
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 4200
2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons

Husk is way overrated for food. Nice little bar atmosphere. That rating is a joke. It is very political.
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #53
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 0
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
They're almost all seafood. They do have chicken and burgers but I've never tried either there.
http://www.vickerys.com/index_2.html
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #54
CockaThaWalk
Kick Dawgs Peel Taters

Male

CockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Downtown location is closed
Old 12-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #55
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 4200
2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC View Post
Trattoria Lucca - it's located in a crappy part of Downtown and will make you wonder if your car will be there when you get back, but it's a FANTASTIC Italian restaurant, small, out of the way, but it's a gem tucked away. It's also in your price range ($20-$25 for entrees).
Excellent!!!
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #56
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Fulton Five. Great Italian right off King. You can have a good meal 20 a plate but also some nicer selections on the menu as well. I have taken New York Italian's there who have been very impressed with the food.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #57
Eutaw Kid
4-Star

Male

Eutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervousEutaw Kid is making other chickens nervous

Magnolia's on East Bay. Last time I ate there I had the Lamb. It was magnificent!!
Eutaw Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #58
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

It has been scads of years since I lived in the Holy City. Magnolia's was great back then. I have one of their original cookbooks autographed by Barickman. Most of the reviews I read today suggest that it has fallen on hard times though. Barrickman has left and some new couple seem to have taken over. What gives?

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #59
CCC
Her Modness

Female

CockyCash: 101500
CCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot material

So where did you end up going?????
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #60
Frosty
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Frosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPit

Just saw this thread and am amazed at some of the suggestions for good food in my hometown. A.W. Shucks and Hymans are 2 of the biggest tourist traps in this town. The food is horrible. I used to work for a seafood dealer in town and could tell you some stories about what Hymans requests from their purveyors. I hope you stayed away from these places. Lots of other good recommendations and a few I haven't checked out yet but plan on doing so soon. I live in MP and we don't go Downtown for dinner that much anymore dues to the number of good places to eat close to home. My favorite close to home spot is Longpoint Grill which is owned by someone that has ~7 places here for people to choose from. Great food at an inexpensive price.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote