CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
4Runner
kingofnerf
robgusc76
gamecockgal
Storm Of Spurs
Spurticus
ReadR00ster
CBS: SOS to Florida? (3343)
Juco QBs? (1248)
SDS grades the Furma (945)
we can STILL win the (941)
Auburn/USC point spr (858)
How do you want Aubu (754)
Whenever I Get Depre (676)
If the Head Ball Coa (593)
Mike Davis Stiff Arm (354)
When did it change ? (265)
Cann tipping plays?
How do you want Auburn to
Auburn/USC point spread
CBS: SOS to Florida?
Shamiek Sheppard (2014 Pr
If the Head Ball Coach re
Juco QBs?
Williams and Mitch
we can STILL win the east
Just started playing &quo

Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #101
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material
Default Re: Manti Teo

Jones seems like a one trick pony to me.
Although draft him to a 3-4 team and put him on the outside and he's rushing the passer all day.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #102
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

CockyCash: 500
JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

I don't necessarily see the hype with Jones either, outside of his statistics. Granted haven't seen a ton of the guy but don't ever see him blow up/by opponents like Clowney does or some of the other guys you might compare him to like a Von Miller. Was quiet in the SC and Bama games.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #103
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

I see Jones more as a DE even though he plays LB

Do not think he could play in a 4-3 scheme.

#LukeForMod

Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #104
IgotGAME
Memorabilia Man

Male

CockyCash: 1400
IgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his combIgotGAME is developing his comb

I still don't get it...what exactly has Te'o done to be "PLAYER of the year" besides the 7 ints? The keyword is PLAYER..not best background, or popular team, or nicest..

Funny thing is, if Clowney came out this year, he would likely be the #1 pick in the draft and Jones would probably go ahead of Te'o as well...but wait...I thought Te'o was the "PLAYER of the year"...yea so much for that award.

The difference between Clowney & Jones is that they are at the top of all the key statistical categories for their positions. You can't say the same thing about the "PLAYER of the year"
Old 12-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #105
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT21 View Post
I'll take Ogletree over Te'o long term in the NFL. Still fairly raw and has some character questions, but what a freak of an athlete. Has shown really good abillity in coverage and in run support. His play jumps out far more often than Te'o's does from what I've watched of the two.
Sounds like why people said to take Jamarcus Russell. Potential gets you fired. Teo is the sure pick, luck an Andrew Luck, whereas Olgertree is the Ryan Leaf/RG III pick. It could go either way with a guy like Olgertree. I also think he is a bit overrated as a defender. Great athlete but not a very good instinctive player.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #106
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

RG3 shouldn't be compared to Leaf, he never had any character concerns.

#LukeForMod

Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #107
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
RG3 shouldn't be compared to Leaf, he never had any character concerns.
Just meant crazy talent that could be a great upside, but could also not translate or fail more likely than the other. I couldn't really think of any hot head character issues that have worked out, that's why I used RG III since only guy close to that type of idea. I guess Michael Vick could be an example, but I don't consider him to have been a success.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #108
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Yea I don't think RG3 is fair because he's got elite measurable as well as the intangible aspects you talk about (Leadership ability etc)

A good one could be Cam, but it's too early to judge any of those guys right now.

#LukeForMod

Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #109
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Yea I don't think RG3 is fair because he's got elite measurable as well as the intangible aspects you talk about (Leadership ability etc)

A good one could be Cam, but it's to early too judge any of those guys right now.
True. Cam would be a much better example.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #110
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
True. Cam would be a much better example.
So Lalli: Teo > Clowney, in your mind?
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #111
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
So Lalli: Teo > Clowney, in your mind?
I think, since different positions, its hard to answer straight up. Obviously, having either one would be great, but if I was drafting a team and needed a MLB and DE, I'd take Clowney before taking Teo. I don't think you can say one is clear cut a better "defender", because different positions, but you can see that Clowney, in the position that he plays, has the greater ability to be a game changer.

I think it is like asking someone, in their prime who would you want, Ray Lewis or Julius Peppers? Can't go wrong, but can't exactly definitive on who is better.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #112
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

At the next level an Elite Pass rusher is needed over an Elite Inside LB.
And an Elite QB over all.

So if Clowney was in last year draft I'd take Luck over him. This year I'd take Clowney (weak QB class) and next year is incomplete because we don't know who would show up.

#LukeForMod

Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #113
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think, since different positions, its hard to answer straight up. Obviously, having either one would be great, but if I was drafting a team and needed a MLB and DE, I'd take Clowney before taking Teo. I don't think you can say one is clear cut a better "defender", because different positions, but you can see that Clowney, in the position that he plays, has the greater ability to be a game changer.
But Teo still deserves Player of the Year, even though he's not the first guy you would pick between him and another candidate. Got it.

Clowney's done more against much tougher competition. I understand they're at different positions, but watching both, I don't see how anyone can argue who's the more talented player.

Teo's story and University are what won him those awards as much as anything. He's a good player who has a great hype machine pushing him.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #114
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:

I think it is like asking someone, in their prime who would you want, Ray Lewis or Julius Peppers? Can't go wrong, but can't exactly definitive on who is better.
Teo is not remotely as good as Ray Lewis. Sorry.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #115
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 1080
Copperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talonsCopperhead has developed his gaff and talons

ND does just as good without him. A&M and K State not so much without their QBs.
OVERRATED AND WINNNG ON SYMPATHY VOTES

Gotta love it
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #116
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Teo is not remotely as good as Ray Lewis. Sorry.
In college terms he is. The one is a dominant LB and the other a dominant DE. My point is that saying because you'd take one over the other isn't the same as saying who is a better football players.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #117
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
At the next level an Elite Pass rusher is needed over an Elite Inside LB.
And an Elite QB over all.

So if Clowney was in last year draft I'd take Luck over him. This year I'd take Clowney (weak QB class) and next year is incomplete because we don't know who would show up.
Have to factor in team need as well. If NE ended up w/ the 1st pick (through a trade, most likely) they're probably not taking Luck. (But maybe. Luck is the QB equivalent of Clowney to me in terms of being NFL ready.)
Old 12-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #118
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

If NE has the first pick of the draft last year they're trading down.

#LukeForMod

Old 12-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #119
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
In college terms he is. The one is a dominant LB and the other a dominant DE. My point is that saying because you'd take one over the other isn't the same as saying who is a better football players.
So you wouldn't take the best player? What type of GM are you?

Either you think Teo is a better football player than Clowney or you don't. It's pretty simple, and doesn't need all of the "position most likely to make an impact" equivocating.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #120
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
But Teo still deserves Player of the Year, even though he's not the first guy you would pick between him and another candidate. Got it.

Clowney's done more against much tougher competition. I understand they're at different positions, but watching both, I don't see how anyone can argue who's the more talented player.

Teo's story and University are what won him those awards as much as anything. He's a good player who has a great hype machine pushing him.
It isn't about talent. It is about performance and when you are the key figure on a top 3 D who is playing for the national title you are going to get awards over others. It isn't because he plays for ND or the sad story. He prior to the year was hyped as a finalist for these awards, just as Clowney was.

Teo earned the awards, it wasn't a pity vote.