CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
johnnyb
taylorssc
doubledribble
Lonnie
Gamecocks321
QCB
gadeneer1986
GarnetSwarm1990
So Disappointed With (2495)
Rank the QBs under S (1741)
Back like cooked cra (1368)
Tennessee game (944)
Who start on the d l (700)
No Comments on the H (695)
Google finally gets (471)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (222)
Gameday parking in A (157)
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Tennessee game
Texas athletic director:
Back like cooked crack
No Comments on the Holes?
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
Why I think we beat Aubur
SEC Debate: Best candidat
So Disappointed With The
Which loss hurt worse, Mi

Old 12-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #121
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material
Default Re: Manti Teo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
If NE has the first pick of the draft last year they're trading down.
Yeah, and stockpiling picks in the process. Realized it was bad example. I just think Luck only comes around once ever 5-10 years. Same w/ Clowney. But it's a pass-happy league now. Still think Clowney is number 1 in '14 if he can merely match his production this year.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #122
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
So you wouldn't take the best player? What type of GM are you?

Either you think Teo is a better football player than Clowney or you don't. It's pretty simple, and doesn't need all of the "position most likely to make an impact" equivocating.
If you are a GM and have a OL who grades out better at his position and is more talented and a better football player, do you take him over a possible QB talent who can play solid? No. You take the QB even though he isn't the better football player. Teo will be a stud anyways in the NFL, so will Clowney. Both are built for the NFL. They are big, fast, athletic, can play in open space and can play in any system.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #123
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
It isn't about talent. It is about performance and when you are the key figure on a top 3 D who is playing for the national title you are going to get awards over others. It isn't because he plays for ND or the sad story. He prior to the year was hyped as a finalist for these awards, just as Clowney was.

Teo earned the awards, it wasn't a pity vote.
So he performed better than Clowney?

Keep telling yourself it's not because of ND or his "great story". You're just enamored by the Teo myth. He's not as good as Ray Lewis was in college, from a talent or performance level, nor is he within the same stratosphere as Clowney. Teo deserves credit. Hell, he deserves to be a finalist (though not for Heisman). But he's not the best defensive player in the country. He's not even the guy you would pick if you were starting team Lalli.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #124
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:

Keep telling yourself it's not because of ND or his "great story". You're just enamored by the Teo myth. He's not as good as Ray Lewis was in college, from a talent or performance level, nor is he within the same stratosphere as Clowney. Teo deserves credit. Hell, he deserves to be a finalist (though not for Heisman). But he's not the best defensive player in the country. He's not even the guy you would pick if you were starting team Lalli.
He's got everything you look for. He's got a story, he's a REALLY good football player, and he's playing for a national championship. Playing for Notre Dame helps, but not as much as you think. They have had many very good defenders in the past several years, but didnt have the record they needed to get the kids in the national spotlight.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #125
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:

I could say that your just enamored with Clowney because he is from Carolina or plays in the SEC. The fact is, that Teo has all the necassary stats to be considered for the awards and on top of that, he is playing for the #1 ranked team and a top D. If this was some LB from Bama you wouldn't be arguing with it, but because it is outside the SEC, and even worse, to a ND guy, you guys act like he is awful and undeserving of any awards.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #126
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah, and stockpiling picks in the process. Realized it was bad example. I just think Luck only comes around once ever 5-10 years. Same w/ Clowney. But it's a pass-happy league now. Still think Clowney is number 1 in '14 if he can merely match his production this year.
Yea Clowney in next years draft, #1, unless of course some QB goes RG3 mode and the team picking needs a QB.

In the current state of the NFL a QB is what makes a team most successful.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #127
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I could say that your just enamored with Clowney because he is from Carolina or plays in the SEC. The fact is, that Teo has all the necassary stats to be considered for the awards and on top of that, he is playing for the #1 ranked team and a top D. If this was some LB from Bama you wouldn't be arguing with it, but because it is outside the SEC, and even worse, to a ND guy, you guys act like he is awful and undeserving of any awards.
Yeah, you're right. I'm probably just buying into the Clowney hype. Guys like Lalli even said they'd take him over Teo if they were starting a team!

You yourself wouldn't take Teo over Clowney, and yet I'm supposed to buy that he's deserving of being in NY and a potential Heisman winner? As far as him being a "ND Guy"; forgive me for thinking that feasting on that schedule doesn't exactly a Heisman Winner make.

I've never once said he was awful. I think he's deserving of nomination of the defensive awards but definitely not the Heisman. I do not think he is deserving of winning the defensive awards in a season where Jadeveon Clowney is eligible, nominated, and turned in the year he has. Remove Clowney from the equation and it's Teo vs. Jarvis Jones? I personally think Jones is better but it's by very small degrees, and wouldn't be as dogged about this as I am.

But if you don't want people trumpeting Clowney over Teo, maybe seek out a ND board. I'm sure it's a veritable orgy of Manti over there.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #128
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly

ND has always been a media darling. Even when they had a poor team, they were the media darling. Interesting fact: they are the only team to have a Heiseman winner that played on a team with a losing record. (Paul Horning)
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #129
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 66034
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

Quote:
If you are a GM and have a OL who grades out better at his position and is more talented and a better football player, do you take him over a possible QB talent who can play solid? No. You take the QB even though he isn't the better football player. Teo will be a stud anyways in the NFL, so will Clowney. Both are built for the NFL. They are big, fast, athletic, can play in open space and can play in any system.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Teo can not play in any system, few LB's can... I'd LOVE to seehim try and cover TE's in the NFL or run blitz in the NFL (hell run blitz in the SEC)

Clowney is by far the better prospect than Teo, any analyst would laugh in your face for thinking otherwise.

QB rules the league, so the greatest DE to come outof HS/college in the past 20+ years, aka the GREAT EQUALIZER, should be as valuable as any player on any team
Old 12-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #130
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

Teo without the story or ND gets zero award wins. Put him on USC and he isn't even our best LB of this decade (2 years into this decade)... I'd take Ingram ANY day over Teo... Ingram impacted games in far greater ways, and vs much harder comp.

Clowney on ND wins every award possible. That's the difference.

Can you imagine? Clowney 24/7 on ESPN
Old 12-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #131
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

BTW, GM's were saying that Clowney would have been #1 in any draft he came out of HS Jr year and on.... soooo to say Teo is on his level is a freaking riot. Good/great player yes, but not all world like JD.

There is a reason rivals said he is the best player by far they have ever graded in recruiting. This isn't just uSC fans
Old 12-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #132
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 436
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post
Teo without the story or ND gets zero award wins. Put him on USC and he isn't even our best LB of this decade (2 years into this decade)... I'd take Ingram ANY day over Teo... Ingram impacted games in far greater ways, and vs much harder comp.

Clowney on ND wins every award possible. That's the difference.

Can you imagine? Clowney 24/7 on ESPN
Not if he played for ND.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #133
ThisMr X
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
ThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his comb

Sob story+weak schedule=heisman
Old 12-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #134
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i dont think his impact is that much different than other all american 3-4 ilb's from the past. there arent that many 3-4 nt's in college that have to be double teamed. he isnt first team all american last year, his stats go down from last year, and suddenly he not only wins every single defensive player award, and the maxwell, the walter camp, and may even finish at least 2nd in the heisman.

of course is everything is relative, but never has a lb gotten this much credit. i dont think its suddenly every voter throwing away their offensive bias and their eyes being open to every nuance of great lb play.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #135
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cocky 72 View Post
Lol don't let your hatred for Notre Dame put down a great player. Like it or not Notre Dame is the ONLY undefeated team in the nation, the reason they're undefeated is because of their defense & the main reason their defense is where it's at is because of Manti Teo. Come on man
Yeah, dude is a special talent. If everyone could get 7 INTs off of weak competition then THEY WOULD DO IT TOO. I mean Clowney got 4.5 sacks against a weak cupcake lace Clemson team....what does that mean?