CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TheUniversityofSC
COCKYTALKIN
Gamecocks1137
Lonnie
Spurticus
markymark550
MWard
spareparts
garnet_black215
WeStill0wnUSC
Another A&M aggi (2028)
Green and Lammons (1821)
COMCAST TO CARRY SEC (997)
Comporium (736)
Dawg DL man arrested (512)
Nashville (378)
It's Cover Two's bda (377)
ESPN Car wash Spurri (343)
Georgia DE Jonathan (247)
Gamecocks taken in t (165)
Official SEC Network and
Boosting OOC schedule str
Stephen Garcia AMA on Red
Spurrier Responds to Dabo
2016 - Woody Barrett
Another A&M aggie off
2015 - Marquavius Lewis
2015 - Albert Huggins
Predict Clemson 2014
Green and Lammons

Old 12-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
MBGCock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1110145
MBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot material
Default What Spurrier's Contract Extention Could Ultimatley Mean for the Gamecocks

http://www.instantradiorivals.com/20...the-gamecocks/
MBGCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit
Default Re: What Spurrier's Contract Extention Could Ultimatley Mean for the Gamecocks

Every year this comes up and every year I think that it seems unlikely; however, with every season he performs well it becomes more and more a possibility.

I used to laugh at it but now I'm actually getting optimistic.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: What Spurrier's Contract Extention Could Ultimatley Mean for the Gamecocks

Being #1 means more to Steve Superior than almost any other person on the planet.

Now that coaching is fun again (it will become really fun for him if he gets to implement Fun 'N Gun with a strong offensive line and a rocket launcher at quarterback), there is no reason to think that he won't go for the record.

Steve could coach until he's 100 if he's having fun. He's the Dick Clark of college football coaches.

And I couldn't stand the Bear, so I'm praying that he goes for the record.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

H won't admit it but you you know he wants to pass Bryant. I say he will do so & how epic will it be that he does it here at SC.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Well, being 53 wins away, he will have what, 5 seasons to do it.
Very doable if he stays with getting 10-11 wins a season.

Just imagine..2017...Spurrier's final season he gets the record beating Florida, then goes to the SEC title game...wins, and we win a national title, and carry the OBC off the field one final time.

I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I just don't see it happening. Like mentioned before, he has to win 10+ a year for the rest of the years on his contract. That is highly unlikely because USC has a rebuild year coming in 2014, IMO.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Emery
Game MVP

Male

Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

It's not about total wins...it's just SEC wins. So if he has 6 for the next 5 years which is very conservative he will be 23 away from the record which could put it out of reach. However, a couple of big seasons and we average 7 it puts the number in the teens. 18 wins..another 2-3 seasons?

I believe the point was if he coaches out the entire contract it will be very tempting to stay on 3-4 more seasons to break the record if we are still doing well.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Gamecock_girl_west
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I just don't see it happening. Like mentioned before, he has to win 10+ a year for the rest of the years on his contract. That is highly unlikely because USC has a rebuild year coming in 2014, IMO.
C2, I know you are the recruiting guy, so you have way more insight into this than I do. But...

Is it possible that we can 'reload' instead of rebuild. Especially on D, could our current D strength and success be measured with continued good incoming classes and getting great recruits ready to play?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Spurrier is only 37 wins away from tying Bear's SEC wins so I don't know where these other numbers are coming from. I expect him to coach here until he breaks it.

Last edited by Cockhornleghorn; 12-08-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Cockhornleghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

2014 we'll need guys to step forward and be all sec players to offset the all sec players and quality starters we've lost over the past couple years. most likely clowney, sutton, hampton, sanders, and shaw will be gone. we have some talented guys who will be seniors rs juniors at that time so its all about them developing into impact players, starters, or quality backups. im hopeful we can reload.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Well, being 53 wins away, he will have what, 5 seasons to do it.
Very doable if he stays with getting 10-11 wins a season.

Just imagine..2017...Spurrier's final season he gets the record beating Florida, then goes to the SEC title game...wins, and we win a national title, and carry the OBC off the field one final time.

I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it.
Except this is SEC wins not overall wins. If he averages 6 wins a season in the SEC, he'll have to stay 7 years
Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Spurrier is only 36 wins away from tying Bear's SEC wins so I don't know where these other numbers are coming from. I expect him to coach here until he breaks it.

Bear 159
Spurrier 122

according to that article

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccock View Post
Except this is SEC wins not overall wins. If he averages 6 wins a season in the SEC, he'll have to stay 7 years
Unless we go to a 9 game schedule which I think is highly likely....then it could be only 6 or even 5 years if we're winning 8 of 9 for a couple of years. There's no way he's leaving till that record is his.....none. He is far too competitive.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

scfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talons

I don't think he will stay that long, but just imagine the meltdown from Alabama fans if he does.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #15
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post

Bear 159
Spurrier 122

according to that article
Sorry, you're right. I was at the basketball game when I posted that and I thought he had 123.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #16
ICEHOCEY77
4-Star

Male

ICEHOCEY77 has earned his spursICEHOCEY77 has earned his spursICEHOCEY77 has earned his spursICEHOCEY77 has earned his spursICEHOCEY77 has earned his spursICEHOCEY77 has earned his spursICEHOCEY77 has earned his spurs

He could care less if he has the record. When he's done, he's done.
ICEHOCEY77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEHOCEY77 View Post
He could care less if he has the record. When he's done, he's done.
its COULD NOT, and i disagree. I think if we are still winning 9-12 games a year these next 3-4 and he sees the record as obtainable, it could be a deciding factor of when he retires. Realistically you would have to say he'd have to coach 8 more years to break the record, and i will admit..that seems a little far fetched.

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #18
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

SOS said he wanted to be the all-time winning coach at USC.

He also said he wanted to do what hasn't been done at USC, win the SEC Championship.

He also said soon after being hired at USC that he didn't want to coach into his seventies.

I think if SOS wins the SEC here, he will decide to hang it up then. I also think that will be the only incentive for him to continue coaching into his seventies. The sooner we win the SEC, the sooner he retires.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #19
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Spurrier is only 37 wins away from tying Bear's SEC wins so I don't know where these other numbers are coming from. I expect him to coach here until he breaks it.
and considering we only play 8 SEC games a year, that would take around either 4-5 perfect SEC seasons or about 7 seasons of 6-2 in the SEC. if he does accomplish that record though, wow!