CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
JerseyBird
bcolinc
The Yancey
Latti
Travelin
B-G
kingofnerf
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
2014 Subway Classic: (1225)
Cleveland Browns Hea (999)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Former Gamecock root (746)
Props to Eric Hyman. (559)
Four USC Basketball (534)
Franks boy's are pla (401)
Bowl packages (299)
5 apps to turn your (282)
My early Monday dinn (238)
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu
Question for those who ha
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
Franks boy's are playing
2015 Commitment - Quandes
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
So, why is next year goin
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Former Gamecock rooting f

Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #21
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit
Default Re: Microsoft is in trouble ...

Anyone that thinks Windows 8 is...

A) All that much different than Windows 7
B) Confusing

...shouldn't be allowed to use a computer.

Microsoft mad a few bad choices in acquisitions lately and is having to write off the losses. They are definitely not the same company they were 10 years ago, but times change and Microsoft will adapt.

Windows Server 2012, SQL 2012 and Hyper-V 3 will be big game changers in 2013 for businesses.

To think that products like Office and Exchange are crumbling are aren't critical to the business place is just plain asinine.

And the article was written by Yahoo for cryin' out loud.

Last edited by CockyInGA; 12-04-2012 at 09:05 AM.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #22
GamecockRocker
Cynical Optimist

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyInGA View Post

B) Confusing

8 is change for changes sake alone. The windows phone style interface is stupid and unnecessary.

Every other windows Operating system sucks lately. Vista, now 8. Hopefully 9 will be fine.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #23
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

CockyCash: 500
davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

In my experiences, Apple products like iPad and iPhone are really popular for employees in the field. They access field reports and what not.

However, in the office, I could never use Apple products. I do a lot of data analysis. In my opinion, Apple products just are not effective enough to take over in this realm. I haven't really seen anything that could be just as effective as Excel and Access.

Plus, I feel that Apple products are over-simplified and over-priced. Why would I pay 50% more for an Apple product when I could buy a Microsoft-based product that will last me just as long and do just as much if not more?

Also, iPads will never take over in the actual office. The tablet is just not suitable for what is done inside the cubicle.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #24
RockRocks787
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1510
RockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to RockRocks787

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteven34 View Post
What is so bad about Windows 8? I'm just asking because I haven't seen or used it yet.

Thanks!
There's nothing wrong with Windows 8. Most people are too lazy to learn how to use it. I'm using Windows 8 right now, and I really like it. There is a learning curve to it, but once you get used to it, it's fine.

The main difference is they've made it sort of like the Windows phones. It's full of apps now.

RockRocks787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #25
CanadianCock
4-Star

Male

CanadianCock is developing his combCanadianCock is developing his combCanadianCock is developing his combCanadianCock is developing his combCanadianCock is developing his combCanadianCock is developing his combCanadianCock is developing his combCanadianCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteven34 View Post
What is so bad about Windows 8? I'm just asking because I haven't seen or used it yet.

Thanks!
I have the Win8 consumers preview on an old Vista laptop. It used to take the laptop 4 minutes to launch Vista, it launches Win8 in roughly 35 seconds...not too shabby! So far so good!!!

I have a windows phone and it works great...hopefully "Santa" puts a Windows Phone 8 under the tree this year. Wireless charging sounds gimicky but the folks I know that use it absolutely love it and say they couln't imagine fiddling with a plug in charger again.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #26
Mr.101
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 21018809
Mr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyInGA View Post

B) Confusing

Microsoft mad a few bad choices in acquisitions lately and is having to write off the losses. They are definitely not the same company they were 10 years ago, but times change and Microsoft will adapt.

Windows Server 2012, SQL 2012 and Hyper-V 3 will be big game changers in 2013 for businesses.

To think that products like Office and Exchange are crumbling are aren't critical to the business place is just plain asinine.

And the article was written by Yahoo for cryin' out loud.
The thing is, these days, people want everything to be simple. They don't want to spend 15 minutes figuring out Win 8
Mr.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #27
bravecock524
Nesemiea

Male

CockyCash: 40960
bravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockRocker View Post
8 is change for changes sake alone. The windows phone style interface is stupid and unnecessary.

Every other windows Operating system sucks lately. Vista, now 8. Hopefully 9 will be fine.
You do realize that there is still a desktop in windows 8 and the live tile interface replaced the old start menu, and it is useful for showing all kinds of useful information such as weather, stocks, social network updates, etc.
bravecock524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #28
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Microsoft is not going anywhere anytime soon. They are not what they used to be. But they still have major clout.

Personally I want microsoft, Google and Apple (and whoever else) all to succeed. I use Windows PC's, have an Iphone, use gmail and google search.

More competition means more choices, more features, and better prices for consumers.

I don't get the fanboy mentality in the tech world. Think if Apple didn't pressure windows. If Google did not pressure Yahoo. If Apple did not come up with the Ipod or the iPhone. If Samsung didn't pressure Apple with the Galaxy.

We'd all still be using Windows 98, Nokia phones, Netscape, and film cameras.

Last edited by Spur's Addiction; 12-08-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Spur's Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #29
usctiburon03
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 24000
usctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudly

I have to agree with what the guy said earlier. Apple simply has one of the best marketing departments in the business. They have convinced the public that they are better than other products and made them the "cool" product to have. Are there things that Apple may do better....sure. But the same thing can be said for any other OS. The fact is, for the vast majority of people who use a computer for personal use, Apple is simply way overpriced. You dont need an Apple computer that cost 1800 to surf the web, type papers, and organize a calendar. That can be done on a computer just as good for half the price.
usctiburon03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #30
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post

You say that like its a bad thing...

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #31
CanadianCock
4-Star

Male

CanadianCock is developing his combCanadianCock is developing his combCanadianCock is developing his combCanadianCock is developing his combCanadianCock is developing his combCanadianCock is developing his combCanadianCock is developing his combCanadianCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Microsoft is not going anywhere anytime soon. They are not what they used to be. But they still have major clout.

Personally I want microsoft, Google and Apple (and whoever else) all to succeed. I use Windows PC's, have an Iphone, use gmail and google search.

More competition means more choices, more features, and better prices for consumers.

I don't get the fanboy mentality in the tech world. Think if Apple didn't pressure windows. If Google did not pressure Yahoo. If Apple did not come up with the Ipod or the iPhone. If Samsung didn't pressure Apple with the Galaxy.

Ummm, actually - more and more people are choosing Nokia phones everyday. http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-seeing-significant-holiday-boost-compared-to-q4-2011/
CanadianCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #32
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

As long as every kid in school is taught to use Microsof Office on PC's, Microsoft has nothing to worry about. If Microsoft starts lossing government contracts to Apple, then you can worry. Apple would have to be cost effective first for that to ever happen, and it won't. Apple makes a cute phone though.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #33
Halltj2
Gamecock

Male

Halltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
As long as every kid in school is taught to use Microsof Office on PC's, Microsoft has nothing to worry about. If Microsoft starts lossing government contracts to Apple, then you can worry. Apple would have to be cost effective first for that to ever happen, and it won't. Apple makes a cute phone though.
I agree with what you're saying but my wife is a 2nd grade teacher and her students are using iPads for projects every day.
Halltj2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #34
cbx79
Walk On

Male

cbx79 has earned his spurscbx79 has earned his spurscbx79 has earned his spurscbx79 has earned his spurscbx79 has earned his spurscbx79 has earned his spurscbx79 has earned his spurs
Send a message via MSN to cbx79

For what its worth , have two daughters that are teachers and they starting using Ipads in our school system this year ,,, getting rid of them in our school ,system going to go back to laptops , wont run flash and can't secure them, was a big mistake from the getgo.
cbx79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #35
carolinafan111

Male

CockyCash: 912910367
carolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot material

me and two of my classmates actually wrote a 20 page paper comparing Microsoft and Apple's business strategies/products this semester.

Both companies have the ability to remain successful because:
Microsoft dominates the enterprise market because all of its OS since Windows XP are backwards compatible. Actually, it was only recently, within the last year, that more people were using windows 7 than windows xp. Windows is also more attractive for technical geeks.

Apple dominates is niche market. the 10% or so of users that use mac products are dedicated Mac users. meaning that they will buy the macbook, the i phone, the ipad, etc. They can afford to provide cheap updates to the OS every year and get almost everybody to pay the $20 to upgrade just so they can be trendy. they try to target the basic users, as well as the "hipsters"

Google/Android is dominating the mobile market at this point... apple has its niche share (and admittedly more than that in the mobile because they were the first to launch successful smart phones and tablets.) expanding the iphone to be covered on more services than just ATT was good for them. Windows only has like 3% of the mobile market... which is not good considering all of the expansion areas in the world (asia particularly) are going to heavily lean on the mobile platform as compare to having to set up hardlined systems across their country. instead, they can just use the waves.

i can link my entire paper if you want me to

33 games attended in a row (26-7 in that stretch)
carolinafan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #36
RebelGamecockfan09
Runnin round

Male

CockyCash: 1225
RebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinafan111 View Post
me and two of my classmates actually wrote a 20 page paper comparing Microsoft and Apple's business strategies/products this semester.

Both companies have the ability to remain successful because:
Microsoft dominates the enterprise market because all of its OS since Windows XP are backwards compatible. Actually, it was only recently, within the last year, that more people were using windows 7 than windows xp. Windows is also more attractive for technical geeks.

Apple dominates is niche market. the 10% or so of users that use mac products are dedicated Mac users. meaning that they will buy the macbook, the i phone, the ipad, etc. They can afford to provide cheap updates to the OS every year and get almost everybody to pay the $20 to upgrade just so they can be trendy. they try to target the basic users, as well as the "hipsters"

Google/Android is dominating the mobile market at this point... apple has its niche share (and admittedly more than that in the mobile because they were the first to launch successful smart phones and tablets.) expanding the iphone to be covered on more services than just ATT was good for them. Windows only has like 3% of the mobile market... which is not good considering all of the expansion areas in the world (asia particularly) are going to heavily lean on the mobile platform as compare to having to set up hardlined systems across their country. instead, they can just use the waves.

i can link my entire paper if you want me to
You know a lot, so I figured I'd ask, did your research account for people who legitimately love their apple products? I know coming from someone who owns a macbook pro and an Iphone may not be able to speak, but man do i love all my apple products. My computer is absolutely amazing, and I'm somebody who know a lot about computers and technology in general. i've also owned products from both companies. That being said, I acknowledge microsoft has awesome stuff and have their own purposes. I just feel like some people refuse to believe that a macbook pro for example isn't an awesome computer, (because it is) and not just buying apple because we're all mindless sheep who want what's trendy.

Last edited by RebelGamecockfan09; 12-10-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: for clarity
RebelGamecockfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #37
carolinafan111

Male

CockyCash: 912910367
carolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot material

it is not really "mindless sheep" as much as it is brand loyalty.

Apples does a fantastic job at getting its consumers to buy into the fact that they love their Apple products. They get some hooked on a Macbook, or an iPhone, or an iPad, etc. and because of how great the consumer feels about the product (because let's face it, Apple products are revolutionary as far as user interfaces are concerned) so the Consumer wants to go out and buy the other apple products and update to Apple's latest software, etc.

33 games attended in a row (26-7 in that stretch)
carolinafan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #38
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCock View Post
Ummm, actually - more and more people are choosing Nokia phones everyday. http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone...ed-to-q4-2011/
Yes I realize.... I was talking about those Nokia cell phones from 15 years ago the everyone had.

You kind I missed the point of my post.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #39
CanadianCock
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Yes I realize.... I was talking about those Nokia cell phones from 15 years ago the everyone had.

You kind I missed the point of my post.
I believe I did understand the point of the post.
My point however is that Nokia is not "yesterday's" cell phone manufacturer. In fact, I believe if you put the Nokia 920 and the iPhone 5 side by side you will appreciate the level in innovation in the 920. Keep in mind that doesn't take away from the great accomplishments of Apple, but rather that Nokia is as much tomorrow as it was yesterday.
Here's another little fact...Nokia is back to profitability!
CanadianCock is offline   Reply With Quote