CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
USC_21
JDJones
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
kingofnerf
gamecockgal
Cockypantherfan
kick_ball
SanAntonioCock
10 years since " (1835)
Sidney Rice is havin (1441)
Why the hesitance to (962)
BJ Mckie (379)
Getting Back on Trac (299)
Hospitality Area? (283)
Should UNC get death (277)
2014 Charleston Clas (255)
Cocky cloth towels (245)
Challenge to or revi (207)
Watson hurt again
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Sidney Rice is having the
2014 Charleston Classic *
how do you feel about Cle
Up Next: Gildan Charlesto
Should UNC get death pena
What Are Your Win/Loss Ex
Fan bias toward a specifi
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti

Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #61
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material
Default Re: Guns (Firearms)

I really want a Mosin-Nagant, but I'm torn between two.

One friend has a 91/30, and bases on research, it was the "sniper" version of that rifle line. Buddy is accurate as hell with that thing. He had some trouble loading ammo and with it feeding improperly, but he adjusted the action and it's like butter now.

Another friend has the M44 Carbine. Thing is nice. Shoots like a dream, it's just loud as hell. It's the loudest gun out of our group by leaps and bounds.

Personally, I'm leaning toward the 91/30. I can adjust it and use it for close shooting, or sight it out and test my accuracy. Either way, ammo is dirt cheap. 20 rounds of 7.62x54r is $4 a box on Bud's Gun Shop. Thoughts?

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #62
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

91/30 will run you between 80-125 bucks, M44 will likely be 220-280...as far as the ammo you should be able to find the 440ct "spam cans" for less than 80 each, sometime as little as 70, plus if you order 2, most of the time you get the crate with it (pretty cool looking)

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #63
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

all the milsurp 54R ammo is corrosive, so cleaning after every "shoot" is a must, or your barrel will end up pitted

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #64
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

that place I was telling you about last year in your part of the state is a little on the high side as fat as pricing on the 90/30s (wanna say they run about 110-125), but they are already "de-cosmolined" and headspaced, which to me is worth the extra 20 or so

Old 12-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #65
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
91/30 will run you between 80-125 bucks, M44 will likely be 220-280...as far as the ammo you should be able to find the 440ct "spam cans" for less than 80 each, sometime as little as 70, plus if you order 2, most of the time you get the crate with it (pretty cool looking)
That's the pricing I've been finding for the most part, odds are I'll go with the 91/30. And yeah, if I can find a crate, I'll be set for a long, long time.

Quote:
all the milsurp 54R ammo is corrosive, so cleaning after every "shoot" is a must, or your barrel will end up pitted
believe me, every time we shoot we all go back to somebody's place, put it on some sports/outdoor channel, and clean our guns while we watch tv and talk about stuff. it's like a religious thing for us, haha.

Quote:
that place I was telling you about last year in your part of the state is a little on the high side as fat as pricing on the 90/30s (wanna say they run about 110-125), but they are already "de-cosmolined" and headspaced, which to me is worth the extra 20 or so
Which place was it? I can't remember for the life of me. and yeah, Justin (guy with the 91/30) got his and it didn't have the cosmoline removed. it was a bitch trying to get all that stuff out. he thought he had it all out, then he brought it out, we shot for a bit, and as it heated up the gun started "weeping" cosmoline. We finally got it all though.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #66
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

www.scgunco.com

Old 12-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #67
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeeeeeeeep
Old 12-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #68
thekob
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchief View Post
I really want a Mosin-Nagant, but I'm torn between two.

One friend has a 91/30, and bases on research, it was the "sniper" version of that rifle line. Buddy is accurate as hell with that thing. He had some trouble loading ammo and with it feeding improperly, but he adjusted the action and it's like butter now.

Another friend has the M44 Carbine. Thing is nice. Shoots like a dream, it's just loud as hell. It's the loudest gun out of our group by leaps and bounds.

Personally, I'm leaning toward the 91/30. I can adjust it and use it for close shooting, or sight it out and test my accuracy. Either way, ammo is dirt cheap. 20 rounds of 7.62x54r is $4 a box on Bud's Gun Shop. Thoughts?
Pull the trigger man. I bought mine through budsgunshop.com for $109 last christmas and don't regret it one bit. Kind of hard to regret a $100 gun that you put some work into yourself and is pretty historic. Plus it goes bang!
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #69
auslander
Beach bum

Male

CockyCash: 710
auslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot material

I have over 40 Mosin Nagants. I shoot them regularly and cant say enough good things about them.
Some things to consider when buying/owning one:
1. Dont modify it. If you must, put it in an ATI stock and keep the original.
2. Most of the Soviet ones you see were made in two arsenals Izhevsk and Tula. The Izhevsk rifles will have a small triangle with an arrow inside of it. Tula rifles will have a star with an arrow in it. Those arsenal stamps will most likely be all over the rifle and they will be mixed because...
3. There aint no such thing as an unissued Mosin Nagant 91/30. They look nice and clean because after WWII they were all rebuilt and refinished.
4The sights are set for the rifle to be fired with the bayonet attached. If you fire it without the bayonet you will need to adjust your aim.
5.The supply of them in Ukraine is drying up as we speak. Do NOT delay in getting one.
6. The first cleaning is absolutely essential. The cosmoline is also mixed with a sort of varnish. Take it apart and scrun the devil out of it. I use brake parts cleaner to disolve the crud then Hoppes #9 and a boatload of oil.
7. If you have one dated 1941 from the Tula arsenal.... PM me ASAP!

Feel free to ask questions.

PS if you want the best of the breed of Mosin Nagant pattern rifles the M39's from Finland are the best without going sniper.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #70
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

We should have a CT day at the range get together sometime next year
Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #71
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
yes

Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #72
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77
I like it.
on the business side, I'm looking at a mossberg 535 anyone have any experience with one? likes/dislikes problems?

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #73
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

Going with Pops to PSA tomorrow I expect to come home with a Glock 21 or 22. He has been wanting for awhile.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #74
4|_3|<54/\/|)3R
CT's resident law student

Male

CockyCash: 500
4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material

For all you AR owners out there: Brownells.com is having a bulk sale on pmags (10 pack of regular is $125; windowed is $155). Enter code "dsr" for free shipping on anything over $99

As a student at USC: Gamecocks record 40-25 (21-19)
GO COCKS!
4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #75
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4|_3|<54/\/|)3R View Post
For all you AR owners out there: Brownells.com is having a bulk sale on pmags (10 pack of regular is $125; windowed is $155). Enter code "dsr" for free shipping on anything over $99
Is it the new pmags? Or the old ones? If its the new ones that's not a bad price

Old 12-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #76
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
Just bought a Savage 30-06, on the verge of a 12 gauge Mossberg 535.
savage is underrated in my opinion. I am very pleased with my Savage 7m-08

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #77
MACXIMVS
mac'in aint easy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Avatar 
CockyCash: 12700
MACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot material

Savage of old was shit but I will say they are a better firearm now , but my ruger 77/17 Iz tha bomb , who has a .17 hmr

MACXIMVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #78
4|_3|<54/\/|)3R
CT's resident law student

Male

CockyCash: 500
4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material

Quote:
Is it the new pmags? Or the old ones? If its the new ones that's not a bad price
Old ones with dust covers. Somebody has the new ones for 12.50 apiece, just can't remember who...

As a student at USC: Gamecocks record 40-25 (21-19)
GO COCKS!
4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #79
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

Thought this guy was funny
Old 12-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #80
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4|_3|<54/\/|)3R View Post
Old ones with dust covers. Somebody has the new ones for 12.50 apiece, just can't remember who...
Ehh, not bad but not great, I keep seeing them pop up at $10