CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
smoovecock
Sandstorm29
803scdantes
b381l
CoverTwo
Lonnie
rioninusc
The Yancey
gamecockphan
cockybreeyan
The Vent and Coachin (4963)
Disturbing comments (2419)
Gerald Turner (2164)
does anybody think w (2002)
2015 schedule is bru (1368)
UF lets Durkin go (1311)
2015 Early Enrollees (1036)
Bobo to Colorado St? (528)
The U ends apparel d (527)
Women's bb result - (364)
The Vent and Coaching cha
Spurrier Says "It Wa
does anybody think we wil
Brad Lawing USC / Florida
SOS...a day late & do
2015 Early Enrollees Thre
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
UF lets Durkin go
2015 schedule is brutal
Gerald Turner

Old 12-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #161
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

CockyCash: 500
BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb
Default Re: Official USC vs. Michigan in Outback Bowl Discussion Thread

I'm so excited about this bowl game! It's my first bowl game as an alumni!

I've been a gamecock for over 25 years and did anyone EVER EVER think that we'd be in a bowl with Michigan and THEY would be the underdog?

Does anyone remember the Brad Scott and Sparky Woods days?

Anyway, we live in Sarasota just under an hour south of Tampa so let me say a few things.

Sarasota is south of the Florida frost line so we are generally about six degrees warmer than Tampa in the winter. If you want beach weather, head to St.Petersburg, Anna Maria Island, Bradenton Beach, Longboat Key, Lido Key, or Siesta Key. All under an hour from the stadium.

St. Armands Circle (Lido Key but good accessibility from Longboat), downtown Sarasota (Burns Court, Towles Court), Southside Village, and the Village on Siesta Key are all really great shopping, dining, attraction areas. Downtown St. Pete is also really cool.

Down here, 70 degrees is a good beach day. I'm from Myrtle Beach and on our beaches, you'd freeze to death at 70. Down here 70 degrees is really warm bathing suit beach weather.

Does anyone know the deal at the stadium with tailgating? Do you pay to park?

You can fly into Tampa, Clearwater/St.Pete, or Sarasota

As far as Tampa goes, Ybor City can be fun but be leary of crime and the scientologists.

Sorry for the rant!
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #162
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudly

What would be the best airport to fly in to since you said there are more than just Tampa International? I'm thinking about coming but not sure weather to fly or drive. If I do fly it will probably be round trip from Charlotte NC. And with driving... Google says go 95 to Jax, then 295 around Jax. After that, go to Florida 200/US 301. I also see where you could continue on I-10 then go to I-75 which leads to Tampa. What the best way? (As you can see, I don't get to go to FL often!)

Also, would you recommend staying closer to Raymond James or somewhere else? I have never been to Tampa, so i know almost nothing about the area!
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #163
eatlighting
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
eatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot material

I'm usually not too interested in the uni convo. I don't care what we wear as long as orange and purple aren't involved. However, I've seen on this thread that the white unis were twice mentioned. Am I to imply all white? Are we stormtrooping it in Tampa?

I would LOVE to see that again and get my fix before we shut this season down. I'll be happy either way, but that is our best away combo. I'd love to see those again. Sharp.
eatlighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #164
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

42-17
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #165
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime843 View Post
42-17
Is that your prediction? Because I think it is spot on, folks are giving Michigan more credit on defense than they deserve. And I mean, WAY more credit than they are deserving of.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #166
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatlighting View Post
Are we stormtrooping it in Tampa?

I would LOVE to see that again and get my fix before we shut this season down. I'll be happy either way, but that is our best away combo. I'd love to see those again. Sharp.
Are we designated as the away team already? I know we are seated on the away side.

I'd say highly likely, if so, as Spurrier is the type to stick with what "works".

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #167
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Are we designated as the away team already? I know we are seated on the away side.

I'd say highly likely, if so, as Spurrier is the type to stick with what "works".
Yes, it was said during the signing of the contract the Michigan would be the home team.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #168
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
What would be the best airport to fly in to since you said there are more than just Tampa International? I'm thinking about coming but not sure weather to fly or drive. If I do fly it will probably be round trip from Charlotte NC. And with driving... Google says go 95 to Jax, then 295 around Jax. After that, go to Florida 200/US 301. I also see where you could continue on I-10 then go to I-75 which leads to Tampa. What the best way? (As you can see, I don't get to go to FL often!)

Also, would you recommend staying closer to Raymond James or somewhere else? I have never been to Tampa, so i know almost nothing about the area!
You can hop on 95, drive to Jax, cut across the state, and take 75 down to Tampa. Probably 8-9 hours for you. Flying and driving time to and from Charlotte would be a little less but not significant.

If you are just going for the game and don't want to see the sights, visit the beaches or amusement parks, absolutely stay in Tampa near the stadium. If you'd like to plan a mini vacation, let me know what you'd like to do or see and I would be happy to help you plan.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #169
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
Yes, it was said during the signing of the contract the Michigan would be the home team.

We need to rock the all-white unis again!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #170
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
We need to rock the all-white unis again!
This.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #171
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Well. Michigan took an SEC beating in their first game this year. It's the last game of the year that sticks in your memory though!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #172
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post
I'm so excited about this bowl game! It's my first bowl game as an alumni!

I've been a gamecock for over 25 years and did anyone EVER EVER think that we'd be in a bowl with Michigan and THEY would be the underdog?

Does anyone remember the Brad Scott and Sparky Woods days?

Anyway, we live in Sarasota just under an hour south of Tampa so let me say a few things.

Sarasota is south of the Florida frost line so we are generally about six degrees warmer than Tampa in the winter. If you want beach weather, head to St.Petersburg, Anna Maria Island, Bradenton Beach, Longboat Key, Lido Key, or Siesta Key. All under an hour from the stadium.

St. Armands Circle (Lido Key but good accessibility from Longboat), downtown Sarasota (Burns Court, Towles Court), Southside Village, and the Village on Siesta Key are all really great shopping, dining, attraction areas. Downtown St. Pete is also really cool.

Down here, 70 degrees is a good beach day. I'm from Myrtle Beach and on our beaches, you'd freeze to death at 70. Down here 70 degrees is really warm bathing suit beach weather.

Does anyone know the deal at the stadium with tailgating? Do you pay to park?

You can fly into Tampa, Clearwater/St.Pete, or Sarasota

As far as Tampa goes, Ybor City can be fun but be leary of crime and the scientologists.

Sorry for the rant!
Sparky's tenure was beset by highs and lows. He had the player revolt, but his teams had still grit. Even in the first year in the SEC, the Sparky teams fought hard. They did beat UT, and he pulled the trigger on playing a brash freshman QB named Taneyhill.

Brad Scott's tenure was characterized by a slide into total chaos. In the end, the Scott players were laughing and joking on the sideline as UT beat us by 50. Scott was known for how he met with the media after such losses, looking like a deer in the headlights. Then, when he was fired, he teared up and promised never to root against his players. A week later he stole all the Gamecock recruiting data and went to work for Bowdung at Clempson.

Brad Scott is not even in the same league as Sparky. He was far worse.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #173
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 490
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Quote:

Drive!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #174
Garnet Gamecock
Banned

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
This.
They look great, to be sure!
Garnet Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #175
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

black pants with a garnet stripe, white jerseys with black and garnet on the shoulders and garnet helmets..lets do this.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #176
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Robinson is a top player, and a real threat. He's very fast, and more elusive than anybody we've faced this year. Hard hitting and playing assignments could well be a key for us. They have given up over twice our fumbles and over twice our interceptions, so hard-hitting, heads up ball might pay off well.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #177
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Little fast guys that go down as soon as the get hit never give us problems. The ones that do are the guys that are fast and don't go down easily.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #178
Mr.101
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 21018809
Mr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot material

black pants please
Mr.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #179
50ktight
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
50ktight is sharpening his claws50ktight is sharpening his claws50ktight is sharpening his claws50ktight is sharpening his claws50ktight is sharpening his claws

I'd like to see what Dylan can do with confidence and time to practice as the starter.

Even if Connor has his cast off I think Dylan's play warrants the start.
50ktight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #180
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post
You can hop on 95, drive to Jax, cut across the state, and take 75 down to Tampa. Probably 8-9 hours for you. Flying and driving time to and from Charlotte would be a little less but not significant.

If you are just going for the game and don't want to see the sights, visit the beaches or amusement parks, absolutely stay in Tampa near the stadium. If you'd like to plan a mini vacation, let me know what you'd like to do or see and I would be happy to help you plan.
I-95, cross into Florida...take the Yulee exit(373) west.. Go about 12 miles, it turns into 301... Take that to Gainesville, take hwy24 thru Gainesville to I-75... Get on I -75 South towards Tampa...