CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Aggie96
Gamecocks1137
jebodiah
b381l
Gamecock in TX
Acockolypse Now
cockycrazy2001
jellafever
Cockypantherfan
Vote for Browns star (3128)
texags (2639)
Shaw Lighting Up Bro (2247)
2016 Commitment - Ja (1849)
Preparing for the sm (1504)
Connor Shaw intervie (903)
Gameday Garnet Polo (760)
Aggie Statistics (744)
Clowney (725)
They are coming to y (586)
What would be your defini
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Hard Knocks this week.
Gameday Garnet Polo
Spurrier accepts cockys c
Aggie Statistics
They are coming to your c
Preparing for the smash r
texags
Vote for Browns starting

Old 12-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
JM1984
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
JM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Butch Jones first day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
How is a no-huddle pro-style offense a "gimmik"? You obviously don't know much about football... and frankly, I'm getting annoyed with all of our posters referring to any type of hurry-up offense as a "gimmick". It makes you sound dumb because the word "gimmick" carries a negative connotation and implies that the "gimmick" is just smoke and mirrors or something that doesn't really work. Sorry, no-huddle offenses do work- they keep defenses on their heels, wear them out, and keep them out of position. Whether or not you like that type of offense is up to you, but they work- it's not like coaches all over the country are utilizing this system for no reason... and just because an offense goes no-huddle doesn't mean they are running an air raid or trick plays. He said it's going to be a pro-style system. USC runs a pro-style and we also go no-huddle at times FYI.
You're right, I don't know much about football, have never claimed to know much. It's just a game, and a break from work for me. I am sorry to have upset you so badly. I don't make one single cent off of what anyone does on the field, but I enjoy watching it. However, Ellis Johnson does, and that's how he refers to these no huddle offenses. It seems to be the popular thing now, and I've never been one to buy into popular culture. I do know business and I can tell a fast-talker when I see one. That skill does put food on my table and keeps my wife happy. Maybe this guy can coach football, I don't know. I'll just shut up now and quit pissing off the football gods.

SPURTICUS in 2012!!!
JM1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
How is a no-huddle pro-style offense a "gimmik"? You obviously don't know much about football... and frankly, I'm getting annoyed with all of our posters referring to any type of hurry-up offense as a "gimmick". It makes you sound dumb because the word "gimmick" carries a negative connotation and implies that the "gimmick" is just smoke and mirrors or something that doesn't really work. Sorry, no-huddle offenses do work- they keep defenses on their heels, wear them out, and keep them out of position. Whether or not you like that type of offense is up to you, but they work- it's not like coaches all over the country are utilizing this system for no reason... and just because an offense goes no-huddle doesn't mean they are running an air raid or trick plays. He said it's going to be a pro-style system. USC runs a pro-style and we also go no-huddle at times FYI.

Well, since you brought up S&M, allow me to ask if you ever bumped into Mark Sanford while taking a hike along that trail on which you live?

Now that was real smoke and mirrors. LOL.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #23
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Really solid hire by Tenn. It's hard to think a man like that would be coaching for a hillbilly university though.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #24
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Sorry, no-huddle offenses do work- they keep defenses on their heels, wear them out, and keep them out of position.
Just like Chad Morris' offense did to us a few weeks back?

Back to Butch Jones...says he's won 4 championships (he's actually only won 2 at Cen.Mich) ? How does a 3-way and 4-way tie in the Big East equate to winning a championship? So for winning a "championship" this year, his team gets rewarded the Belk Bowl in CLT v. Duke?

Now that's some smoke and mirrors.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #25
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
He seems like a sincere and nice guy. Looks like he knows what it takes to win, I hate the vols as much as the next guy, but I will say. If that was any indication of what he is really like, he has a great future ahead of him.
Always a risk bringing in a guy who has no experience in the SEC.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #26
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
omg... You can run a no-huddle offense with any type of offense. Just because you don't huddle, doesn't mean you run the same type of offense as Clemson. This is exactly what I'm talking about.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #27
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1984 View Post
You're right, I don't know much about football, have never claimed to know much. It's just a game, and a break from work for me. I am sorry to have upset you so badly. I don't make one single cent off of what anyone does on the field, but I enjoy watching it. However, Ellis Johnson does, and that's how he refers to these no huddle offenses. It seems to be the popular thing now, and I've never been one to buy into popular culture. I do know business and I can tell a fast-talker when I see one. That skill does put food on my table and keeps my wife happy. Maybe this guy can coach football, I don't know. I'll just shut up now and quit pissing off the football gods.
I agree with you that it's ridiculous that people are assuming that Butch Jones is going to be successful because of a little speech that he gave. I just keep seeing people on here refer to hurry-up offenses so condescendingly as gimmick and I finally snapped and took it out on you lol... For that, I apologize.The no-huddle has its pros and cons. Football is a constantly evolving and cyclical game. You have to be willing to adapt.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #28
JM1984
Blue Chip

Male

JM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot materialJM1984 is USC mascot material

unless you're Bama, then you do what you want.

SPURTICUS in 2012!!!
JM1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #29
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

I wonder what Spurrier is going to say about it?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #30
Halltj2
Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 200
Halltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
2013 Tennessee Football Schedule
Date Opponent Location
Aug. 31 Austin Peay Knoxville
Sept. 7 Western Kentucky Knoxville
Sept. 14 at Oregon Eugene, Ore.
Sept. 21 at Florida * Gainesville, Fla.

Sept. 28 South Alabama Knoxville
Oct. 5 Georgia * Knoxville
Oct. 12 Open Date
Oct. 19 South Carolina * Knoxville
Oct. 26 at Alabama * Tuscaloosa, Ala.

Nov. 2 at Missouri * Columbia, Mo.
Nov. 9 Auburn * Knoxville
Nov. 16 Open Date
Nov. 23 Vanderbilt * Knoxville
Nov. 30 at Kentucky * Lexington, Ky.
He'll be tested early...but I can see them going 7-5 his first year...maybe 8 and I think that'd be a good first year for him, but it'd be 4th in the East...
Halltj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #31
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post

Back to Butch Jones...says he's won 4 championships (he's actually only won 2 at Cen.Mich) ? How does a 3-way and 4-way tie in the Big East equate to winning a championship? So for winning a "championship" this year, his team gets rewarded the Belk Bowl in CLT v. Duke?

Now that's some smoke and mirrors.
But see then you can say, just like Urban's offense did twice and Malzahn's once.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:41 AM   #32
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

"I've been a head coach for 6 years and won 4 championships. That's right, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win championships."
Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #33
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
omg... You can run a no-huddle offense with any type of offense. Just because you don't huddle, doesn't mean you run the same type of offense as Clemson. This is exactly what I'm talking about.
Ok Mr. Football...and plenty of teams suck running a no-huddle...it guarantees nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
"I've been a head coach for 6 years and won 4 championships. That's right, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win championships."
'cepts 2 of those "championships" were 3 and 4 way ties for 1st place and his team did not get the BCS bid. That's just flat out lying.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #34
d20636
Haven't seen your acid...

Male

CockyCash: 1360
d20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
Always a risk bringing in a guy who has no experience in the SEC.
Seems like he brought up the fact Saban and Miles didn't have SEC experience when they were first hired...

So...he thinks he's Nick "The Hat" Saban?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #35
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Technically Florida won a championship this year, and they get a trophy for winning the east.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #36
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3462
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Its easy to talk. We'll just have to see what happens on the field. I just don't care for these guys who have never coached at the SEC level to come in talking National Championship before they have won their first SEC game. As for the hurry up....It does put the other team at a dis-advantage sometimes. But the offenses like klimpsun and a lot of other teams run are gimmick offenses. They are only successful if you have really special players to run them as in the case of Scam and Johnny Manziel. Otherwise really good defenses can stop them.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #37
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halltj2 View Post
He'll be tested early...but I can see them going 7-5 his first year...maybe 8 and I think that'd be a good first year for him, but it'd be 4th in the East...
Ehh, we are likely to lose 4-5 JR's to the NFL draft (yes we had that much talent and Dooley sucks that bad) and will likely have a new QB next year.

I think 6-6 would be a good year next year. Just need to make a bowl.
Lose the 5 you mentioned and lose one of @Missouri, Vandy, and Aub.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #38
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Technically Florida won a championship this year, and they get a trophy for winning the east.
I agree with what you are saying, but if he even ties or wins four SEC east titles in his first 6 years I think he will be doing just fine.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #39
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
Its easy to talk. We'll just have to see what happens on the field. I just don't care for these guys who have never coached at the SEC level to come in talking National Championship before they have won their first SEC game. As for the hurry up....It does put the other team at a dis-advantage sometimes. But the offenses like klimpsun and a lot of other teams run are gimmick offenses. They are only successful if you have really special players to run them as in the case of Scam and Johnny Manziel. Otherwise really good defenses can stop them.
Again, the type of offense you are referring to is not a gimmick offense. it is an alternate style of offense that requires a different skill set.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #40
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3462
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Thats what klimpsun "thought" they had. And to be honest, it worked against teams that didn't have a solid defense. Even Oregon got shut down by a solid Stanford defense. And they have some pretty good "skill" players.
But who knows where the next Newton or Manziel or even Herschel Walker is out there playing HS football? If you get the right kids, most any offense will work.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote