CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Regalcock
mpilot0705
U-Dub Gamecock
gamecockgal
catdaddy66
talkincock
Storm Of Spurs
crowcutta
**USC vs. South Alab (18414)
Clemson (2267)
Drew Owens missing? (2206)
Question about after (1761)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1193)
Shaq Roland (1154)
FishFry 47-yarder (675)
clemson game time: N (631)
How about this scena (522)
Tenn-Mizzou game (304)
Clemson fan here
Clemson
Question about after the
Winston
Tenn-Mizzou game
Drew Owens missing?
UFC Fight Night 57: Frank
what I think ab ward
2014 Charleston Classic *
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa

Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #41
zambam
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 24050000
zambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPit
Default Re: Wilds 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
What team is going to draft a RB who has yet to play a full college season without a major injury higher than the 3rd round? None, RBs are way too expendable now in the NFL teams are not going to invest that kind of money into a position who's career span is 4 years. He has to make 100% sure that knee is completely healed, then go pro we all know he can rebound back he did it before, he will do it again. Business sense for an NFL franchise to take that big of risk just doesn't make sense.
If he goes in the 3rd round this year he is almost certainly going to make more money in his career than if he goes in the first round in two years. The way the rookie pay scale works now means it is often your 2nd contract that brings the biggest payday.

I have no info on ML's intentions but there are certainly some VERY valid reasons to think it is in his best interest. I can't wait to see back on the field no matter the uniform or league.
zambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #42
DJ35
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
DJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
I was rather mystified at Wilds not playing this season as I thought he was the second best RB on the team. Since Latti has decided to go NFL I see Wilds as the uncontested frontrunner for 2013, At times in 2011 Wilds was sensational. He's a good size RB with that flair to find open field that is rare. Yet he's been as quiet as a mouse in his redshirt hiatus. No interviews, no nuthin.

But 2013 will be a noisy year for him I think. He reminds me of Greg Welch.
I like B. Wilds but I hardly think he is the UNCONTESTED frontrunner. Shon Carson is very good as well as Mike Davis. I'd say the starting TB spot is gonna be highly contested.
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #43
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Wilds will be our number one back in my view. He has good power, pretty good pad level, and quite good speed. He can catch well, and can be a good target out of the backfield. His blocking technique is lacking. Nobody picks up blocking the way Lattimore did or is as natural as a receiving threat. He's such a complete back it's hard to notice the small things. Wilds has to learn to use his runner's vision when blocking, and to improve his footwork instead of reaching or lungeing (and whiffing). He doesn't have Lattimore's vision as a runner, but sees holes pretty well and can cut outside with his burst when needed. Nobody we've had finishes a run like Marcus, but Wilds can learn to take good angles and use his leverage to get extra yards. When receiving, he has to watch the ball in while using his peripheral vision to see what's coming instead of the other way around (comes with training and practice). I don't think Wilds will be caught from behind much if he gets a clear path and a step. If he develops a good sense of down-marker and goal-line awareness (Lattimore is amazing) he will be a third down terror with his power. Carson will provide a good change of pace, and Davis a nice change in style, though he does have good power. Salley seems to be a bull-strong runner, but hasn't been actually tested at this level. We will have some good combinations available to attack what the defense may be showing.

Last edited by Goofyboy; 12-09-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #44
4Runner
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 225
4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb4Runner is developing his comb

Quote:
What team is going to draft a RB who has yet to play a full college season without a major injury higher than the 3rd round? None, RBs are way too expendable now in the NFL teams are not going to invest that kind of money into a position who's career span is 4 years. He has to make 100% sure that knee is completely healed, then go pro we all know he can rebound back he did it before, he will do it again. Business sense for an NFL franchise to take that big of risk just doesn't make sense.
I know what you are saying but with the value of a RB being down in the NFL a healthy Marcus (meaning no injuries) is at best a second rounder, so even a good year in 2014 after 2 major injuries he is still a risk. I just hate for him to risk another injury in college. I would just cringe with every carry hoping he doesn't get injuried again. I think he should just go pro and get whatever $$$ can and maybe, with good luck, he can last 7 years and make some serious $$$$. He certainly would be a great pro for the young kids to look up to and to emulate as a person. Guess we will know soon enough and I for one, will follow Marcus and cheer for him.....even if he goes to the Cowboys.
4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #45
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake-cityCOCK89 View Post
next year will feature our strongest running game yet...we'll have Wilds (power) .
I'd venture to say Brandon is just as fast and may be faster than Mike Davis. His long legs and longer stride can be deceiving.
Carson has speed, but until we see what his game speed is, it's speculation. We've had several "home run threats" who looked avg. running the ball in a game (Bryce Sherman, Damiere Byrd/jet sweep, and of course Bobby Wallace).
For the record, Shon Carson has exactly 3 carries for 9 yds...he hasn't proven anything yet and unfortunately hasn't had the chance. I'm hoping Shon lives up to the hype, but until he does...it's just hype.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #46
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Who ever does win the gig will deffinitely earn it, and won't have many more carries than the others anyway. I think each persons best strengths will be 1st and 10 for davis, 3rd and short for wilds, and once some of the other teams linemen and linebackers start hanging their heads, send in Shon, who won't be able to power through like davis and even more so wilds, but he'll gash them alright.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #47
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200537809048022286
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Pony View Post
If the line will freakin' block next year, I can see Wilds having a 1000yd season - He's a beast! Mark it down.
I think our line did an amazing job for being so young. They'll be fine. But it won't be easy replacing #55.
BeatBamaTwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #48
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
I have a friend on the team who talks to Latti alot and he told me that Latti has said nothing about going pro. Plus do people just not beleive Latti or SOS when he said "Tell them ill be back."
Tell them I'll be back might have been in reference to playing again at all, which some doubted when his injury first occurred. Heard from several people connected to the team that he is seriously considering going pro, he can get better rehab there and guarantee a payday. Most likely he will go pro, but just my opinion.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #49
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Tell them I'll be back might have been in reference to playing again at all, which some doubted when his injury first occurred. Heard from several people connected to the team that he is seriously considering going pro, he can get better rehab there and guarantee a payday. Most likely he will go pro, but just my opinion.
I've thought about that possibility. The only thing that puts even the slightest kink in the thought is that Spurrier evidently took it to mean Lattimore would be returning to South Carolina. There was an interview not long ago in which Spurrier said something to the effect of, "The good news in all this is that we'll get Marcues for 4 or 5 years instead of just 3."
But that doesn't mean Lattimore definitely meant he would be returning to play at South Carolina, because Spurrier may have simply misinterpreted the statement.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #50
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
Who ever does win the gig will deffinitely earn it, and won't have many more carries than the others anyway. I think each persons best strengths will be 1st and 10 for davis, 3rd and short for wilds, and once some of the other teams linemen and linebackers start hanging their heads, send in Shon, who won't be able to power through like davis and even more so wilds, but he'll gash them alright.
you obviously don't know anything about carson. he is just as physical between the tackles as wilds or davis. just because he has serious jets, don't mistake him for a danty rb. he is built like a brick shithouse, and can muscle bt/ the tackles just fine. but has the serious jets to take it to the house on any given play.
as for the comment by the poster noting the past busts of our "speed" rb's, carson is NOTHING like any of those rb's. he has proven his mettle, when he TOOK the number two rb spot a few years ago preseason, and the coaches know what he is capable of, or that wouldn't have happened. just because we haven't had a chance to see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #51
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

I like Wildes but what i've seen of Davis makes me think he will be special if he holds onto the ball. If he keeps dropping the ball he will get limited caries. I think our depth at RB gets better every year.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #52
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I honestly don't think we will have a No. 1 guy next year.
Instead, I think we platoon and put guys in situations and formations that fit them best.

Wilds and Davis both bring contrasting and complementing skill sets.
But Carson gives us the pure speed, scat back type player who could be valuable on screens.

Of course, Kendric Salley I think will be another good one...almost like a Kenny Miles type back.

And of course we have the unknowns of David Williams (silent commit) and Jamari Smith.

The RB battle next year will be the one I'm most excited about in the spring...that and LB.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #53
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Well, we've got a very good problem to have in that we have so many talented backs.

I'm most concerned about which one can be the more complete back. Davis and Wilds both need to improve in the blocking game, and we haven't seen Carson yet.

Should be an interesting off-season.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #54
Glamcock
Recruit

Male

Glamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
I'd venture to say Brandon is just as fast and may be faster than Mike Davis. His long legs and longer stride can be deceiving.
Carson has speed, but until we see what his game speed is, it's speculation. We've had several "home run threats" who looked avg. running the ball in a game (Bryce Sherman, Damiere Byrd/jet sweep, and of course Bobby Wallace).
For the record, Shon Carson has exactly 3 carries for 9 yds...he hasn't proven anything yet and unfortunately hasn't had the chance. I'm hoping Shon lives up to the hype, but until he does...it's just hype.
From what I've seen, there is no way in the world Wilds is as fast as Davis. Wilds has good vision, but is pretty slow, and is not going to juke anybody in the open field. Vision is90% of it, though, so who knows. I think fullback/H-back is where his future is. He can be a servicable tailback, but his ceiling is a 12 yard run.
Glamcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #55
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
From what I've seen, there is no way in the world Wilds is as fast as Davis. Wilds has good vision, but is pretty slow, and is not going to juke anybody in the open field. Vision is90% of it, though, so who knows. I think fullback/H-back is where his future is. He can be a servicable tailback, but his ceiling is a 12 yard run.
Wilds actually is fast. I don't know where you got the impression he isn't. He doesn't seem to be a "jucker," but that isn't his style. The one time I saw him stutter-step was sad, and he should have just finished the run with a good angle. He's a straight-line power runner, but at top speed he will cover some ground.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #56
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamcock View Post
Wilds has good vision, but is pretty slow
With all due respect, from what I remember of Wilds running last year he had good speed...as fast or faster than Lattimore.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #57
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
you obviously don't know anything about carson. he is just as physical between the tackles as wilds or davis. just because he has serious jets, don't mistake him for a danty rb. he is built like a brick shithouse, and can muscle bt/ the tackles just fine. but has the serious jets to take it to the house on any given play.
as for the comment by the poster noting the past busts of our "speed" rb's, carson is NOTHING like any of those rb's. he has proven his mettle, when he TOOK the number two rb spot a few years ago preseason, and the coaches know what he is capable of, or that wouldn't have happened. just because we haven't had a chance to see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.
Wow guy, first off never call me out, second off, never call someone out when they are right, I didn't say he isn't a bruiser, but he weighs twenty pounds less than the other guys, physics say this dude can't run over people the same as the other two. And really? Don't put words in my mouth, I don't care what other people are saying, he is capable of being an every down back, but in hte SEC at least MY preference is for power backs, and I said he is capable of gashing them, but you can't take it to the house off of blocking alone against the likes of Florida, so I want a guy who can get more yards after contact for a solid three, not to say he can't, but it'll take more to stop Wilds and Davis dead, and then throw him in after we forced ourselves half way down the field on them, I'm not talking 4th quarter mop up duty or anything, I'm talking about keeping our rbs fresh, don't be a jackass.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #58
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

CockyCash: 2300
jcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
Assumption is the mother of all F......ups..........
Quote:
Going this year is absolutely the worst thing he can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
I fully expect to see him in a gameock uniform for one last year
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
sorry to be the prick here, but i haven't read sooooooo much bullshit in one thread in a long, long while. so many people on here posting absolute bullshit! it has been asked several times for people to STOP saying marcus is going pro. but so many of you, who claim to love him, continue to do it. why? doesn't sound like you love him, sounds like you love your own mouths!
Hey...where'd you guys go?

RB by committee next year. I think Davis will get the majority of starts and carries, Carson will be the second man in line, and Wilds will be situational and short yardage back (at best).
jcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #59
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcook84 View Post
Hey...where'd you guys go?

I think Davis will get the majority of starts and carries, Carson will be the second man in line, and Wilds will be situational and short yardage back (at best).
Disagree...where you when Wilds ran for 100+ on UT and UF? He's our Eric Norwood of RBs.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #60
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

CockyCash: 2300
jcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Disagree...where you when Wilds ran for 100+ on UT and UF? He's our Eric Norwood of RBs.
Hey great, the dude ran for 257 on 57 carries and scored zero times in those two games.

If he were more talented than Davis don't you think he would have been on the 2 deep at the end of this season when he was supposedly healthy?

I honestly don't care who gets the carries, as long as they produce. I just don't see him being more talented than Mike Davis or Shon Carson. I guess we'll see in 2013.
jcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote