CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GamecockGuardsman
robgusc76
SMOTFS86
sflgc
Spurticus
GregoryHouse
Big Spur
MisterClowney
cockybreeyan
2000grad
Connor to be backup? (2764)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (1168)
Miami Beach Bowl Thr (1078)
Carolina ranked #21 (1022)
Connor to start agai (973)
Gotta get Agent 0 go (824)
Marcus coming home (590)
Most Impactful Peopl (496)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (495)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (444)
Carolina ranked #21 prese
Connor to start against R
Denver/Cincy MNF Thread
2015 Commitment - Quandes
Greatest Gamecock Players
Davon Durant
Players to The Draft
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Gotta get Agent 0 going
2016 - Brandon McIlwain

View Poll Results: Are you ok with him doing this?
Ok with it 70 79.55%
Not ok With it 18 20.45%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #41
USC Paratrooper
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
USC Paratrooper is developing his combUSC Paratrooper is developing his combUSC Paratrooper is developing his combUSC Paratrooper is developing his combUSC Paratrooper is developing his combUSC Paratrooper is developing his combUSC Paratrooper is developing his combUSC Paratrooper is developing his combUSC Paratrooper is developing his combUSC Paratrooper is developing his comb
Default Re: West Virginia mascot kills bear with his musket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
I voted not ok, first of all its kinda gay. You shoot a bear with a musket, who is 30 feet up a tree? Ok, why not just shine a deer with your headlights with brights on, get out and shoot him. It isn't a PETA position I have, but a position of, dude get a grip and learn to hunt. Yeh like a bear is going to jump down 30 feet when your aiming at him with any gun to get you, he would break his back.

Again the Pussification of America is apparent, only now in hunting.
Have to agree here. Idk maybe I'm just not the hunting type. Can't really say anything against it when ill stuff my face with some deer meat. I'd only shoot something that's a danger to me or others around me. But if there was a bear attacking my camp site...it's open season ha.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #42
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
If they didn't kill the bears, they would become a real nuisance.....just like any other animal.
That must also be why they are basically extinct.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #43
doc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 275
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Here's a site that gives black bear population by state.

http://www.blackbearsociety.org/bear...onbyState.html
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #44
Woody7687
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

All of you that are not cool with this, let me ask you who killed your sausage you ate for breakfast this morning, or who killed that cow to make your burger last night? You just hire someone to do your killing for you. Hunting bears with dogs is a tradition that has been practiced longer than SC and clemson have played football. If he kills the bear legally and ethically and uses the bear for food etc then what is the big deal? People need to get a grip and get over it, you are right the pussification of America is more evident with every post that slams this guy for enjoying a tradtion that helped shape this country and feed its people.
Woody7687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #45
MBGCock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1110145
MBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
I tempted to see what everyones views are on this

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...41--ncaaf.html

HE'S HUNTING FOR GOD SAKES.

Im sick of the liberal media.

Last edited by MBGCock; 12-11-2012 at 11:25 AM.
MBGCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #46
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

I don't think anything is wrong with it in the legal sense, but since you're asking what I really think, I say pathetic way to blow off steam. What he did took very little skill, and he celebrated like a true mountaineer. Grow up. I'm all for hunting to enjoy the outdoors and practice shooting or for food, but I don't call that hunting. I call that having a small manhood. Bears are a little too intelligent to be treated that way IMO, but that's another debate.
HeadCockFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #47
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7687 View Post
All of you that are not cool with this, let me ask you who killed your sausage you ate for breakfast this morning, or who killed that cow to make your burger last night? You just hire someone to do your killing for you. Hunting bears with dogs is a tradition that has been practiced longer than SC and clemson have played football. If he kills the bear legally and ethically and uses the bear for food etc then what is the big deal? People need to get a grip and get over it, you are right the pussification of America is more evident with every post that slams this guy for enjoying a tradtion that helped shape this country and feed its people.
Should all traditions be enjoyed at our own discretion? I can name some pretty questionable Southern 'traditions' that helped shape this country and feed its people. I agree with you that people should shut up about hunting in general, but this video is a bit sad, no? It has nothing to do with 'pussification.' You could argue that what this guy is doing is pretty pussified. Just sayin.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #48
JQ94
4-Star

Male

JQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talons

I ate chicken last night...are you okay with it?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #49
MBGCock
Banned

Male

MBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
Should all traditions be enjoyed at our own discretion? I can name some pretty questionable Southern 'traditions' that helped shape this country and feed its people. I agree with you that people should shut up about hunting in general, but this video is a bit sad, no? It has nothing to do with 'pussification.' You could argue that what this guy is doing is pretty pussified. Just sayin.
the media is more worried that the gun was not a prop and a real gun. That is being pussified.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #50
MBGCock
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7687 View Post
Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #51
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

CockyCash: 500
Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

If people tell you they're eating bear steaks, they're lying. Bear meat is nasty, greasy, gamey crap. Having lived in Alaska around hunters in the family, I can tell you that it's not a great meal.

These people are trophy hunting. And trophy hunting is the occupation of men who feel the need to whip out their tiny ####s on some animal minding its own business. Killing bears specifically is not for pop control or food, it's a #### thing.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #52
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ94 View Post
I ate chicken last night...are you okay with it?
So chicken=bear AND head-chopped-off=being knocked out of a tree with crude round slug?

Got it.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #53
YankeeGamecock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 600
YankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his comb

It would only be an issue if say, they were playing a team with a bear as their mascot and his sole reason was to do it for that.

But it's hunting. If you don't like it, then you don't realize that lovely ground beef or chicken you're eating comes from a much more cruel process.
YankeeGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #54
Woody7687
Banned

Male

Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

Ok I see how it is, everyone hates on the redneck until the zombie apocalypse.
Woody7687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #55
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

I'll be holed up with my whole redneck family when the zombies come. Oh maybe that bear was a zombie. If that is the case, I'm OK with it. As long as it was a head shot.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #56
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

yawn... i really dont see why this is an issue anyway
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #57
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

I rewatched the video.

I don't care about the musket issue, it's a firearm and made to do that (prop or not).

Sometimes hunting with dogs is actually a good idea, like when you're hunting ducks and using them to retrieve. However, when you take dogs after game like bears/coons/hogs I think there are a bunch of problems.
1. Your dogs could get gored/killed/sick (rabies)
2. The dogs do most of the work, they lead you to the animal and corner it for you for a target practice shot.
3. They bark a hell of a lot and that could disrupt other hunters.

I'm cool with hunting animals in season, bear is fair game, but I don't like the way the guys in the video did it and I personally won't hunt an animal I don't intend to eat. Bear meat isn't great.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #58
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

CockyCash: 2300
jcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudly

I'd like to know how you successfully hunt coons sans dogs?
jcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #59
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 78700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
I rewatched the video.

I don't care about the musket issue, it's a firearm and made to do that (prop or not).

Sometimes hunting with dogs is actually a good idea, like when you're hunting ducks and using them to retrieve. However, when you take dogs after game like bears/coons/hogs I think there are a bunch of problems.
1. Your dogs could get gored/killed/sick (rabies)
2. The dogs do most of the work, they lead you to the animal and corner it for you for a target practice shot.
3. They bark a hell of a lot and that could disrupt other hunters.

I'm cool with hunting animals in season, bear is fair game, but I don't like the way the guys in the video did it and I personally won't hunt an animal I don't intend to eat. Bear meat isn't great.
Most coon hunters don't actually shoot the coon. They just let the dog tree it. Coon hunting is more for the dog than anything.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #60
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

CockyCash: 2300
jcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockinraleigh View Post
Most coon hunters don't actually shoot the coon. They just let the dog tree it. Coon hunting is more for the dog than anything.
Going rate for an uncleaned coon here in Craven County is about $15-20 a piece. There's actually a pretty decent market for the meat here.

Most people want them uncleaned because they tend to look a little like house cats when they've had their pelts removed... ;)

Granted, every organized hunt you'll ever see will be a measure of your dog's skill and won't include shooting the coon from the tree at all, exactly like you've said.
jcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote