CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
Badazcock
CockyLifer
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (27962)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2224)
Simple "yes&quo (1571)
We actually didnt lo (1343)
Phil Steele just pre (1251)
what I think ab ward (1119)
Eat Crow (1015)
Extremely Proud (1001)
Garcia: Change the R (796)
I want people to exp (724)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Stop bashing Dylan
BAW
Extremely Proud
Defense question
I want people to explain
We actually didnt lose
Who start on the d line t
Eat Crow
what I think ab ward

View Poll Results: Are you ok with him doing this?
Ok with it 70 79.55%
Not ok With it 18 20.45%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #61
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 88700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material
Default Re: West Virginia mascot kills bear with his musket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcook84 View Post
Going rate for an uncleaned coon here in Craven County is about $15-20 a piece. There's actually a pretty decent market for the meat here.

Most people want them uncleaned because they tend to look a little like house cats when they've had their pelts removed... ;)

Granted, every organized hunt you'll ever see will be a measure of your dog's skill and won't include shooting the coon from the tree at all.
Let me rephrase. Most of the guys I grew up with just let the dog tree the coon. They may pick one off every now and then but not often at all. But most of those guys trained their dogs for competition as you pointed out. My bad.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #62
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

CockyCash: 2300
jcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockinraleigh View Post
Let me rephrase. Most of the guys I grew up with just let the dog tree the coon. They may pick one off every now and then but not often at all. But most of those guys trained their dogs for competition as you pointed out. My bad.
Yeah, growing up in Marion, this is how my family and friends went about our hunting.

Not until I was stationed here at Cherry Point did I actually realize that there was a market for the meat. It's really about who you know though, since it's usually the more rural, old-school type that are more apt to buy the meat off of a hunter.

Depending on how many dogs you keep and how successful of a season you have, it's plausible to hunt the entire season for little to no cost. And that's kind of a big deal, since dog food and gas can get to be pretty damn expensive.
jcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #63
Gamecock_girl_west
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot material

I think the bigger issue is that the mountaineer has a gun that can fire live rounds as part of the costume. That is a huge liability issue for the University. I know that most prop guns can take live ammo, but you would think with all the sensitivities today that they would take steps to prevent this.

There are multiple failures here. First the University has no code/law/rule preventing him or previous mountaineers from doing this. Second, the fact that he thought it would be okay to take a school mascot prop and do this. And third, the fact that he posted this on social media. It is one of those things where, while nothing illegal transpired, it makes you shake your head and wonder why would you want to place yourself in a potential negative spotlight.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #64
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_girl_west View Post
I think the bigger issue is that the mountaineer has a gun that can fire live rounds as part of the costume. That is a huge liability issue for the University. I know that most prop guns can take live ammo, but you would think with all the sensitivities today that they would take steps to prevent this.

There are multiple failures here. First the University has no code/law/rule preventing him or previous mountaineers from doing this. Second, the fact that he thought it would be okay to take a school mascot prop and do this. And third, the fact that he posted this on social media. It is one of those things where, while nothing illegal transpired, it makes you shake your head and wonder why would you want to place yourself in a potential negative spotlight.

It's a musket. What's he going to do, accidentally leave a ball in the chamber??

The only problem here is that there is a negative spotlight. People are so sensitive about the stupidest s*** these days. Everybody has to do everything according to some book of unwritten rules and if they don't it's a PR nightmare. You think any of the WVU administration really cares if he uses that gun to hunt? I doubt it. They only care about people caring that he's doing it. People just need to get over themselves and let other people live their lives.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #65
BigSteven34
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 35360615
BigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to BigSteven34

As long as it is in season and he has all the legit permits are applaud him.
BigSteven34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #66
hubbarjm
Count of Monte Fisto

Male

hubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talons

He's hunting. I can't believe South Carolinians have an issue with some one hunting. What the hell is going on?

He's a mascot, blatantly called a mountaineer, doing what in mind a mountaineer would do (hunt). So are we gonna have a video of this guy landing a trout while fly fishing next week that gets some fish lovers all rowled up? I don't understand what the issue is.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #67
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
So chicken=bear AND head-chopped-off=being knocked out of a tree with crude round slug?

Got it.
have you ever seen how they kill chickens...i promise you killing that bear was a lot more humane than chickens.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #68
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:

anything can be a firearm almost... i could take my pen and load it with black powder and a round and fire it.*plastic wouldn't hold, but still*. He uses it to fire blanks, Army has a Cannon, Clemson has a cannon...both can shoot live rounds. your point?

for willy
Old 12-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #69
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

No problem with someone hunting as long as he has the papers. I don't understand why people are sensitive to this, hunting bears is a tradition passed on for hundreds of years and its being done legally.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #70
zambam
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 24050000
zambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPit

ESPN has an article up saying he got cited for not wearing orange while hunting. They based the citation on this video. LOL

Careful what you put on the interwebz
zambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #71
doc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 0
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Here's an article about the citation on fox sports.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...-orange-121212
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #72
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambam View Post
ESPN has an article up saying he got cited for not wearing orange while hunting. They based the citation on this video. LOL

Careful what you put on the interwebz
I don't have any problem with hunting but no way is it worth it to have to wear orange.
75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #73
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75CarolinaFan View Post
I don't have any problem with hunting but no way is it worth it to have to wear orange.
That's some quality smack talk folks!!!

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #74
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75CarolinaFan View Post
finally some truth haha.

for willy
Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #75
USCgamecocks
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1368
USCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPitUSCgamecocks rules the CockPit

I can't believe I am about to defend the plague that is WVU, but I feel fairly certain no one in the hill folk state of West Virginy gives a damn what other folks think about this.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #76
i29gman
Blue Chip

Male

i29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCgamecocks View Post
I can't believe I am about to defend the plague that is WVU, but I feel fairly certain no one in the hill folk state of West Virginy gives a damn what other folks think about this.
I've been a hunter most of my life, and enjoy the sport. No big feat to have killed that bear with a musket. Looks to be no more than 15-20 yards away and the bear is scared and treed. Could have made the same shot with the same result with a bow and arrow. And, from the size of it, looks like a pretty young bear; certainly no trophy. Hunt for the meat, hunt for the trophy, no problem. This looks like a publicity stunt and nothing more, not worthy of the celebration at the end. The older I get, the softer I get. I still love the outdoors and the thrill of the hunt, sometimes just wish I could put them back when its over. My 2 cents worth.
i29gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #77
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapheet View Post
Wonder what the bear did to him?
farted on him
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #78
Schecter
Banned

Male

Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

Quote:

How do you know that's the one he uses when he's the mascot?
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote