CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
SAETerrier
HelleraisingCock
bigdog2003
gamecock88
roosterdude21
JerseyBird
GamecockStud
Larenz Bryant update (1468)
Joeckel Transfering (812)
UK's Whitlow to tran (618)
2016 - Greg Little (573)
Bamberg High School (406)
response from charte (402)
Victor Hampton Arres (382)
What type of snake i (339)
Wu Tang affiliated r (326)
13 Vintage Internet (182)
Attendance next season
The case for Clowney at #
A'ja Wilson
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Victor Hampton Arrested
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Where will we be preseaso
Aggie Spring Depth Chart
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso

View Poll Results: Who is the number one guy on your board?
Tyrone Crowder 12 13.64%
Larenz Bryant 16 18.18%
Kelsey Griffin 2 2.27%
Matt Rolin 25 28.41%
Michael Hill 8 9.09%
Na'Ty Rodgers 2 2.27%
Mike Williams 16 18.18%
Tyshon Dye 2 2.27%
David Williams 1 1.14%
MarQuez North 4 4.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #14341
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material
Default Re: Quinton Powell Thread (2013 Prospect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 View Post
Our recruiting budget is one of the lowest in the country. Fly Steve in to visit Rueben Foster and press hard. That kid has no idea what he really wants to do, so go for it
It's not like we're a mid-major guaranteeing playing time. We're one game away from the SEC Championship which is one game away from a national championship and YOU WILL SEE THE FIELD AS A FRESHMAN. Baffling. I hope we can salvage this class, but I'm dubious.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #14342
BuCockyfan
Two Deep

Male

BuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
We can agree to disagree, but all the major recruiting services rank him higher. Factor in that he could actually see the field next season and it's a net win for me.
The only reason you think he's better is because Rolin decommitted. If Rolin were still here, you'd be saying something different, most likely "recruiting services don't matter."
Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #14343
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: What could our recruiters be doing better?

I've been pleased over the years that the staff recruits well for needs, puts overall team strength over class ratings, and maintains integrity with the recruits. Developing a team of players who respect each other, regard their own futures, and are coachable can pay off more than sprinkling in recruits who don't buy-in to the work ethic and personal and team accountability the coaches stress. Spurrier is very pleased with the capabilities and overall chemistry among his staff at this time. The overall talent level of the team seems to still be rising even though we are at the level that lets us play and beat the best. A couple of key position upgrades will probably get us there. At first, this year, I thought they went a little linebacker crazy, but looking at what we are losing, along with the Rolin defection and Dallas move, I think they are on-track and adjusting as needed. We fans need to realize that you will - not might - miss some, and not get distraught at every disappointment.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #14344
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Depends on what your expectations are. For people that think USC should be recruiting top 5-10 classes every year, well I'm going to keep saying it, it will not happen. Finishing between 15-20 on average with a year here and there where you strike big is realistic.
My expectation is 10-15 range, w/ cracking the Top 10 (or Cocky willing, Top 5) every 3-5 years. And I know kids flipping is inevitable, but it doesn't seem to happen as much to UF, UGA, Bama, LSU. And when it does, it's mitigated by the fact that their ratio of 4 to 3 stars is basically 2/1, where ours is 1/3.

It just feels like our recent success should be paying more dividends than it presently is; JaQuay Williams just wanted to meet Clowney. I don't think he was ever seriously considering us. My biggest worry w/ the team (and this class) is LB, which is something we went from being potentially stacked at to insanely thin.

All I want for Christmas is Foster. Barring that, Nagouke and a solid JUCO/Prep kid will do just fine.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #14345
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuCockyfan View Post
The only reason you think he's better is because Rolin decommitted. If Rolin were still here, you'd be saying something different, most likely "recruiting services don't matter."
? Oh I would, would I? Can you point me to where I've said "recruiting services don't matter"? Please. Fill me in since you're so familiar w/ my opinion on recruiting services. If Rolin were still coming here Powell probably doesn't decommit and we're not even having this conversation.

I'm saying he's better because he's ranked better by every service and isn't coming off of a severe knee injury that will prevent him from contributing at all next season and could potentially inhibit his abilities moving forward. So take your condescension elsewhere, champ. I'm good.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #14346
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Relax people it's a personal opinion. I think think all three are close and I would be glad to have any but I would order them.

1. Rolin
2. Nagkoue
3. Powell
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #14347
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 66034
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 View Post
Our recruiting budget is one of the lowest in the country.
Negative

Quote:
We need a big Gerald Turner type LB to finish this class off
Wait aren't you the one who said he wasn't very intimidating physically? We have Gerald Turner already.. but even he looks to be almost too big for LB (in the future).. I was very high on him, but he is already 6'1 250 lbs at age 18, he will only get bigger, looks like a future DL to me

We need to keep getting big boy LB's though, like LSU/Bama
Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #14348
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Someone reported on another thread that Powell was headed to either Miami our Southern Cal, but who knows. And yes, he was pissed about the Rolin commitment.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #14349
EveryThingGreen
#blahblahblah

Male

CockyCash: 200
EveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot material

There is a LB from Alabama that was a 2* before the season and now is a 4*. He had 195 tackles this year. Someone to watch
Old 12-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #14350
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
Someone reported on another thread that Powell was headed to either Miami our Southern Cal, but who knows. And yes, he was pissed about the Rolin commitment.
Miami sucks, every home game will feel like a scrimmage because their fans don't care. Southern Cal is on the other side of the country and their a has been. How can you have the talent they have and still finish 7-5? But hey, it's his decision.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #14351
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryThingGreen View Post
There is a LB from Alabama that was a 2* before the season and now is a 4*. He had 195 tackles this year. Someone to watch
What's his name?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #14352
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Relax people it's a personal opinion. I think think all three are close and I would be glad to have any but I would order them.

1. Rolin
2. Nagkoue
3. Powell
That's fair. I Put Nagkoue above Rolin (particularly after the injury) and Powell and Rolin as 2 and 2A. Powell being on the smaller side is a knock.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #14353
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

duff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his comb
Default Re: Kight Dallas Thread (2013 Prospect)

How does this go over with this kid's HS coach? This sort of thing always seems to burn a bridge, but hope it's not the case here. I would also have to think the coaches have someone they feel good about to fill this slot.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #14354
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
My expectation is 10-15 range, w/ cracking the Top 10 (or Cocky willing, Top 5) every 3-5 years. And I know kids flipping is inevitable, but it doesn't seem to happen as much to UF, UGA, Bama, LSU. And when it does, it's mitigated by the fact that their ratio of 4 to 3 stars is basically 2/1, where ours is 1/3.

It just feels like our recent success should be paying more dividends than it presently is; JaQuay Williams just wanted to meet Clowney. I don't think he was ever seriously considering us. My biggest worry w/ the team (and this class) is LB, which is something we went from being potentially stacked at to insanely thin.

All I want for Christmas is Foster. Barring that, Nagouke and a solid JUCO/Prep kid will do just fine.
This year 15-20 is just more realistic, especially this year. A weaker year instate results in that. Next year top 10 is realistic based on instate talent which should be very very strong. You shouldn't look at every year the same way the 1st thing you have to do is survey the talent in SC and see how it stacks up to what we've seen in the Spurrier era. This one may not fall in the top 5 so you have to change your expectations barring a little luck out of state with a 5 star or something like that.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #14355
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 0
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

In recent history, who have we taken away from someon else. Someone who verbally committed elsewhere and our recruiters took away from them?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #14356
EveryThingGreen
#blahblahblah

Male

EveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot material

Quote:
What's his name?
http://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Cunningham-18704

Just found his name
Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #14357
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
In recent history, who have we taken away from someon else. Someone who verbally committed elsewhere and our recruiters took away from them?
Alshon Jeffrey, Clifton Geathers, Ladi Ajiboye, Mike Davis, Devonte Holloman
Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #14358
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Chris Moody from Vandy. I think we got a couple of decommits from NC maybe the last 2 years.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #14359
DawginCola
Bowl MVP

Male

DawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post

You can only play 11 players at a time, so as long as our 11 are as good as their 11, that is all that matters. The fact that FLA is 7 deep at 4*running back doesn't matter.
Not totally true. While your starting 11 will decide the outcome of the first half, it's the quality of your 2nd and 3rd string depth that often decide close games in the 4th quarter. While there are a lot of GOOD teams in the SEC, it's really the depth that separates the GREAT teams.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #14360
elcid99
cant kill da rooster

Male

CockyCash: 219460
elcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talons

Cunningham - longshot. Nagkoue is a beast....6'3 230. Yes please.