CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
b381l
Acockolypse Now
WeStillOwnUSC
uscjeremynca
El Cid Ranger
Spurticus
auslander
GarnetSwarm1990
sporkgod50
PSU drops a prospect (2128)
Mizzou WR suspended (1049)
Blake McClain (802)
Best Offensive " (778)
What ever happened t (722)
Clemson, Auburn home (538)
Fall Camp. (475)
The Believer - Spurr (351)
Clowney's Madden Rat (211)
2017 - Jaden Hunter (201)
2016 - Mecole Hardman
2015 - Zack Bailey
Ranking the SEC Stadium A
2016 - B.J. Emmons
2017 - Jaden Hunter
Best Offensive "Trip
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
What ever happened to Phi
Re-Airing South Carolina
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti

Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Top 3 bball performances of all time?

Name your personal top 3 Gamecock men's basketball performances of all time.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Top 3 bball performances of all time?

Downey vs. Kentucky has to be up there somewhere.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

John Roche - Sophomore year, scored 38 points against UNC in Chapel Hill. It was the game that made him a star and they could not stop him. Long range jumpers (before the 3 point shot) and numerous drives to the basket with his patented one handed running bank shot off the glass. Controlled the game by handling the ball most of the time on offense and if like most other games, was responsible for fouling out one or two people trying to guard him.

Feel sorry for those not around or too young to watch him play. Still the best player ever at USC who seldom had a bad game. He should have won the ACC player three years in a row, but the majority of the ACC press hated him, USC, and McGuire so much, they often voted against him. At least one NC media person did not put him on his ballot making it tougher to win that last year. Today, he or USC is ever mentioned in the ACC by those in the ACC, but if honesty prevailed, he could easily be considered somewhere in the top three or four players in the history of the conference.

Kevin Joyce against Indiana in Columbia (1971). IU was #3 in the nation, I think. Roche and company had graduated, so it was Kevin's show. IU had a good lead at halftime and Joyce had not done much. I forget how many point he scored in the second half but somewhere around 28-32 points range and according to Bobby knight, was unstoppable. Won the game by a few points, in a tense game. It was an excellent team by Knight, as most were in those days.

Roche scoring 56 points against Furman. Most points in a game by a Gamecock. Could have scored more, but sat out a few minutes in the second half when the game was well in hand.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
carolinafan111

Male

CockyCash: 912910367
carolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan111 is USC mascot material

even though it was in a loss, Downey scoring 11 points in the last minute against UF in 2009 i think was pretty impressive. admittedly, i haven't watched a lot of USC basketball

33 games attended in a row (26-7 in that stretch)
carolinafan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
RedSoxGamecock8
South Orange,NJ

Male

CockyCash: 226
RedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudly

1) Feb 01 1998 Cincy @ USC. Gamecocks down 39-19 to #18 Bearcats at the half. Score 48 points in the 2nd half beat Cincy 67-65

2) the 2 Kentucky wins from the 96-97 season

3) 00-01 Travis Kraft 3 pointer to win against #5 UF 69-68
Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

Holmes pass to Zam after Fla missed free throw to beat them in the CLA last second was one of the first plays to come to mind.
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Mookie9
Walk On

Male

Mookie9 is sharpening his clawsMookie9 is sharpening his clawsMookie9 is sharpening his clawsMookie9 is sharpening his claws

I was at the Cincy game in '98 and the UF game in 2001. Both were in the Coliseum and both are the two best games I have ever been to. I used to love Carolina basketball. Chuck Eidson, Tony Kitchings, Jamel Bradley, Josh Gonner, Carlos Powell, Mike Boynton... they were awesome.
Mookie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

#1 2001 - Travis Kraft hitting the three-pointer to beat Florida at Frank McGuire Arena. We had time for one more play and Kraft told coach he wanted to take the shot, even though he was on the bench for the whole game leading up to the last play. Eruption of joy filled the arena after the shot was made, and I have only seen one moment that matched it.

#2 2009 - On a fast break, Zam Frederick making the last second layup to beat #1 Florida at Colonial Life Arena. The stadium was electric, and everyone was happy with the Horn hire that night. Too bad things went south after that season.

#3 Too close to decide. I don't know if I was at the game vs. Cinn. in '98. My dad has told me all about Roche's playing days and wish I could have seen him in action.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie9 View Post
I was at the Cincy game in '98 and the UF game in 2001. Both were in the Coliseum and both are the two best games I have ever been to. I used to love Carolina basketball. Chuck Eidson, Tony Kitchings, Jamel Bradley, Josh Gonner, Carlos Powell, Mike Boynton... they were awesome.
gotta throw Aaron Lucas in there, Him and Bradley went ham back in the day.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
GamecockSkip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Race for the Chase: Race for the Chase - Given for: 2007 Winner Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: 2007 winner Nascar Challenge: Nascar Challenge Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar 1st Segment 
CockyCash: 800
GamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot material

Mike Dunlevey out jumping Lee Deadmon.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
John Roche - Sophomore year, scored 38 points against UNC in Chapel Hill. It was the game that made him a star and they could not stop him. Long range jumpers (before the 3 point shot) and numerous drives to the basket with his patented one handed running bank shot off the glass. Controlled the game by handling the ball most of the time on offense and if like most other games, was responsible for fouling out one or two people trying to guard him.

Feel sorry for those not around or too young to watch him play. Still the best player ever at USC who seldom had a bad game. He should have won the ACC player three years in a row, but the majority of the ACC press hated him, USC, and McGuire so much, they often voted against him. At least one NC media person did not put him on his ballot making it tougher to win that last year. Today, he or USC is ever mentioned in the ACC by those in the ACC, but if honesty prevailed, he could easily be considered somewhere in the top three or four players in the history of the conference.

Kevin Joyce against Indiana in Columbia (1971). IU was #3 in the nation, I think. Roche and company had graduated, so it was Kevin's show. IU had a good lead at halftime and Joyce had not done much. I forget how many point he scored in the second half but somewhere around 28-32 points range and according to Bobby knight, was unstoppable. Won the game by a few points, in a tense game. It was an excellent team by Knight, as most were in those days.

Roche scoring 56 points against Furman. Most points in a game by a Gamecock. Could have scored more, but sat out a few minutes in the second half when the game was well in hand.
CORRECT X 1,000

Hard to argue with any of these moments right here. ... Brings back a lot
of good memories for me.

My personal favorite moments:
1. Watching Kevin Joyce outjump Lee Dedmon to tip the ball to Tom
Owens for the game winning basket to beat UNC for the 1971 ACC Title.
Joyce was a guard, and Dedmon was their Center/Forward. Joyce was
giving up 6" in height to him and UNC fans were already tasting victory.
Absolutely the single greatest effort of any individual player I've ever
seen on the court.

2. A losing cause, but John Roche's 1970 performance against NC State in
the ACC Title game. Roche had sustained an ankle sprain in the game
prior to that one against Wake Forrest to reach the finals, and was
not looking good for him to play in the Title matchup...He came out and
played an absolutely fantastic game (as best he could) drilling two long
jump shots to send the game into OT twice. Eventually USC lost to NC
State on some questionable calls, but Watching Roche leave it all out there
playing hurt was inspirational to any fan of Gamecock Basketball.

3. I would say the Joyce vs Indiana game mentioned by brat above.
One hell of a gutsy performance that night !
Old 12-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
carolina2010
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 756
carolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudly

- Travis Kraft 3
- Zam's lay up
- Sam Muldrow's 250th block
carolina2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Is this for best single game performance by one guy? Or is this for best moment? Great choices to select from so far.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #14
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

"To the moon, Kevin, to the moon."

Ribock decks Lefty.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

As a fan I only go back to 2001/02 season (when I enrolled at Carolina) so there isn't a lot to choose from in that regard. From what I have seen firsthand, Devan Downey's game against UK is definitely #1. Tre Kelley had some monster games too. I remember him dropping about 30 against Vandy in a close game. For moments, I'd go with Tarance Kinsey hitting that 3 against St Joe's in the NIT Championship game.

For all time, I know of John Roche and his impact and legacy. I'm sure he's got to have some incredible games. Same would go for Alex English and BJ McKie. I wish I could have seen those 3 play for USC because when you hear "Gamecock basketball", those are the first 3 names that come to mind.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

1) Downey. UK 2010. Single handedly beat #1.
2) Sam Muldrow against UK 2009. 8 blocks and ate Petterson's lunch
3) The entire 97 SEC schedule. That team was awful in non conference. Lost to Charleston freakin Southern. Then went 15-1. Unreal

Last edited by eaglegolf018; 12-13-2012 at 10:46 PM.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
Steeler7588
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Steeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudly

My favorite three moments since enrolling at USC (essentially when I started watching their games):

1) Holmes' airing it out to assist Zam's layup as time expired vs Florida - this means a lot to me because everyone was so certain we had blown the game, a moment where our team really grew up; unfortunately, we lost the momentum with Archie's injury and Holmes' dismissal, and Horn couldn't develop the next group of kids

2) Downey splitting John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins of top ranked Kentucky on his way to a basket - easily our biggest win, Downey yelling for everyone to rush the court and Sandstorm blasting afterwards was epic

3) the block party against Kentucky during Gillispie's last year - Jody Meeks was struggling and Patrick Patterson was left to carry them through; he got blocked so many times, Muldrow shut him down every time, think we broke the school records for blocks in a game that night

Steelers / Carolina Gamecocks / Penguins / Arsenal / Pitt Panthers / Bulls / Pirates
Steeler7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
jesse james
4-Star

Male

jesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spurs

Quote:

John Roche was one of the all-time best that the ACC has ever seen! It's a crime that the ACC never gives him the credit he deserves. Those McGuire teams of the early 70s were really something special.
jesse james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
jesse james
4-Star

Male

jesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spurs

Quote:
Bobby Knight remembered that performance . . . and named Joyce to his 1972 Olympic team!
jesse james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #20
scfanz
Starter

Male

scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

I remember watching Kevin Joyce beat Indiana in '71. That was a fantastic game to behold.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote