CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
ConwayGamecock
Sandstorm29
Cocks N Stuff
Gamecocks1137
cockybreeyan
CoverTwo
Travelin
aftertwobowls
Cockypantherfan
Wilds & Carson B (1110)
Marquavius Lewis (1033)
How Long Will The Re (716)
2015 - Jeremiah Dins (628)
Restaurant musts in (540)
S & F article on (328)
Brad Lawing USC / Fl (304)
Spurrier Says " (226)
JC Shurburtt was jus (142)
'Lord of the Rings: (112)
So, why is next year goin
does anybody think we wil
2015 - Jeremiah Dinson -
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10"
The Vent and Coaching cha
2015 - Mark Fields
Marquavius Lewis
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Wilds & Carson Back f
Restaurant musts in NYC

Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #21
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: An Insider's Take on Rolin's Decommitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Well we must have changed our minds because he committed to play LB here and was set to play LB. I do think TM is putting a "make you feel better" spin on it, as I feel like we hear a lot when recruits decommit. Just makes very little sense that we'd recruit/offer/accept a commitment from a guy that we don't really want. Kid's a baller.
Coaches were willing to let him play LB first because he was a USC Legacy. Kid could turn out to be a great one but he certainly could turn out to no be more than a backup.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGCock View Post
that makes sense.

You can't really disagree that he didn't want to play TE (if that is true). It seems like our coaches have given kids that type of offer before and it has work for/against our favor.
Your signature is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

That's racist. Just saying.
LegalCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyInGA View Post
Your signature is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
The best thing about it is how disgusted the woman sitting next to him is.

I don't really understand why kids are afraid to switch positions, especially if they still get a shot to play their original position. Look at Melvin. He didn't want to play with his hand on the ground, but once the coaches convinced him that was where he needed to be and he bought into it he ended up being a first round pick.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #25
PvtWarlick
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1261
PvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot material

Tony did say this was big loss, cause of the lack of depth but no as big as everybody made it to seem
2010 SEC East Champions

Baseball:
2010, 2011 National Champions
4 Time Runner-Up (1975, 77, 2002, 2012)

Basketball
Southern Champions: 1927, 33, 34, 45
1970, 71 ACC Champions
1997 SEC Champions
2005, 06 NIT Champions
PvtWarlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #26
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Yeah and Carlos Dunlap was a gamecock all-american right?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #27
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

Quote:
Well we must have changed our minds because he committed to play LB here and was set to play LB. I do think TM is putting a "make you feel better" spin on it, as I feel like we hear a lot when recruits decommit. Just makes very little sense that we'd recruit/offer/accept a commitment from a guy that we don't really want. Kid's a baller.
Rolin said he would play at LB. The TE thing was the first thing our coaches said but I am certain that changed after seeing him play.
It seems like we have a hundred TEs, and they are all good.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #28
CockyMBA
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75CarolinaFan View Post
A) Recruits NEVER improve "quality depth" before they get in a game and prove it on the field. Losing Rolin changed nothing in that regard. Not to mention the guy just tore his ACL.

B) Unless something has drastically changed in the last couple of years, Tony Morrell does not sugar coat. If anything Gamecock fans have complained the other way about him being negative or even rude. Most have always appreciated his brutal honesty.

C) How would claiming the staff didn't really want Rolin at LB make up for being wrong about the firmness of Rolin's commitment to Carolina? That doesn't make any sense. In recruiting there will always be bad info and no one will ever be 100% correct. Morrell has been the best and most consistent source of Gamecock info for over a decade. He doesn't need to prove anything and certainly doesn't need to lie to cover up being wrong about a recruit. His rep is better than anyone in the business of covering Carolina football.
Exactly!

Unlike many others, I aborted the meltdown after the decommit (though I will say I was disappointed). It's almost like HE (Rolin) begin seeing the writing on the wall. He was 1 of 6 linebackers in the class, but he's the one coming off ACL surgery.

Not saying that the injury or the # of LBs had anything to do with it, but it was clear to me that he had some information that caused him to begin looking around. You don't go from being a 3rd generation legacy, Canít spell South caROLINa without Rolin, completely sold on a program, recruiting other players to come and calling yourself USC_9...to being suddenly split on where to go, then decommitting.

Clearly something changed that altered his expectations of what he would/could do at Carolina.

What had me even less concerned, is that despite our lack of quality depth, another Kight Davis was let go. It just said to me that they believed they would not get the desired production.
CockyMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #29
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

As was mentioned earlier, we were giving him an opportunity at LB first. It seems to me, if Rolin had that much confidence in his own ability as a LB, then he should have welcomed the challenge, but he didn't, wonder why. Maybe he knew what the coaches knew. Every single recruit that plays college football understands that he got to prove himself.....even Clowney had to do that.

Also, none of us knows the exact discussion that went on between Rolin and our coaches. They get paid a lot of money to be right most of the time and win games on Saturday, not to make us happy. What I do know that was discussed was the truth, and sometimes these kids can't handle the truth. I guess that applies to some on CT as well.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #30
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

I wouldn't want to be in a TE rotation behind Busta, Jerrell, and Rainey, either.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #31
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodacitynate View Post
I wouldn't want to be in a TE rotation behind Busta, Jerrell, and Rainey, either.
Neither would I. Maybe he was afraid of the competition......maybe it was our scheme.....maybe it was Florida's scheme. Maybe he looked at Larenz playing Will in front of him for 4 years.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #32
Glamcock
Recruit

Male

Glamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his comb

OP is exactly right. First off, I will say that I think Rolin looks like a very good prospect, and I think he will have a good career at LB. The truth of the matter is that Whammy and Botkin were not that thrilled about him as a LB prospect, but were willing to let him come prove them wrong. They thought he was a TE. Rolin was not interested in being a TE, and felt they should be more excited about him playing LB. It sucks, but 1 guy is not worth getting worked up about. We will replace him with somebody with a similar skill set, and he will be a distant memory in time. It is not worth worrying about.
Glamcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #33
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Wouldn't wish this on anyone but I started feeling like he might blow his knee out again but who knows? I trust the coaches to find other players. I just hope we don't lose Larenz.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #34
OLDCHARLESTONIAN
African Tater Game Hunter

Male

CockyCash: 200
OLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his clawsOLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his clawsOLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his clawsOLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyMBA View Post
Exactly!

Unlike many others, I aborted the meltdown after the decommit (though I will say I was disappointed). It's almost like HE (Rolin) begin seeing the writing on the wall. He was 1 of 6 linebackers in the class, but he's the one coming off ACL surgery.

Not saying that the injury or the # of LBs had anything to do with it, but it was clear to me that he had some information that caused him to begin looking around. You don't go from being a 3rd generation legacy, Canít spell South caROLINa without Rolin, completely sold on a program, recruiting other players to come and calling yourself USC_9...to being suddenly split on where to go, then decommitting.

Clearly something changed that altered his expectations of what he would/could do at Carolina.

What had me even less concerned, is that despite our lack of quality depth, another Kight Davis was let go. It just said to me that they believed they would not get the desired production.
Are you implying that Rolin de-comitted because of the current Carolina recruiting class and the belief he wouldn't get playing time at LB? Have you taken a look at Florida's current class?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #35
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDCHARLESTONIAN View Post
Are you implying that Rolin de-comitted because of the current Carolina recruiting class and the belief he wouldn't get playing time at LB? Have you taken a look at Florida's current class?
We use 2 LB's. UF uses 4. Do the math.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #36
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I understand...just saying...what if our coaches did mention playing TE? Does Rolin have the speed to play LB in the SEC or at least for Whammy? That may explain some of this.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #37
bcgibson75
Starter

Male

bcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPit

spilled milk...he probably wasn't going to play until '14 after the knee injury...glad he has family ties to Carolina...

but, if he was a 3* recruit, would that many people care?? Maybe-maybe not.

We're going to be competing for a National Championship in 2013, so a kid who would be standing in street clothes on the sidelines next season is not a huge cause for concern.

Now, if the coaches can't replace him with another solid LB recruit by the 2014...then I'll start to worry.

We're fine at LB...trust Spurrier, Whammy and Co. to get us to where we want to be early next Dec...the SECCG.

GO COCKS!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #38
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1000001185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
I understand...just saying...what if our coaches did mention playing TE? Does Rolin have the speed to play LB in the SEC or at least for Whammy? That may explain some of this.

Who ever said speed was an issue? He looks plenty fast on film IMO. Not sure what there's not to like about him as a LB, granted I've never seen him play in person but I don't think I need to.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #39
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Who ever said speed was an issue?
Whoever wanted him as a TE v. LB (if that was ever an issue in the first place)? Why would anyone want to move him unless there was a reason? And they all look fast on film in HS...hard to tell.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #40
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Adams to DE and Rainey to MLB = National Title for USC