CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
robgusc76
B-G
Big Spur
SMOTFS86
kingofnerf
rabid cock
doubledribble
Sandstorm29
The Yancey
**USC vs. Coker GAME (3113)
2014 Subway Classic: (1464)
aTm demolishes Kyle (681)
Cocky at the Duck Co (654)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (554)
Really, REALLY glad (458)
Deer Hunting 2014 (343)
movers, furniture do (279)
Happy Winter Solstic (247)
Streaming nfl games (235)
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
official UFC thread. (new
Connor to be backup?
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
Ali Hospitalized With Pne
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
QB Next Season?
Question for those who ha
Really, REALLY glad he's
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL

Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #81
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material
Default Re: I Know We Love the Block C, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
I'd like to see it with the black and garnet vertical stripes running down the median of the helmet.

That look would be absolutely killer!
I would rather go without stripes for this type of design. Or if there must be stripes, then let them be modernized like Cola-Cock mentioned.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #82
Garnet Gamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
I would rather go without stripes for this type of design. Or if there must be stripes, then let them be modernized like Cola-Cock mentioned.
The "blind emboss" treatment done on one of the Boise State helmet designs might work well to give the logo an added degree of definition.
Garnet Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #83
Jethro Beaver
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 355
Jethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
like this?
Double dog dare you for new sig! LOL
Jethro Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #84
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand1 View Post
Attachment 9635

Pretty sure this came from someone on Cockytalk. Don't remember who so can't give credit where it is do.
this is the best i have seen. and i agree with getting rid of the center stripes on the helmets. i hate them! they look so 70's. this design should be sent to the athletic dept, and let them see how nice it fits our current uniforms. let ray get a good look at it, and we will see a change. don't tilt it, or skew it at all. it is perfect in the pic, with NO STRIPES.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #85
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
this is the best i have seen. and i agree with getting rid of the center stripes on the helmets. i hate them! they look so 70's. this design should be sent to the athletic dept, and let them see how nice it fits our current uniforms. let ray get a good look at it, and we will see a change. don't tilt it, or skew it at all. it is perfect in the pic, with NO STRIPES.
I would like to see it directly from the side while a person is wearing it, because I think maybe the angle of the picture combined with the natural tilt of the helmet makes it look "crooked" to me.

Last edited by Don Giovanni; 12-12-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #86
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomo View Post
Hey... its ok to mix it up a little. The players love it.
And that's a lot more important than the "traditionalists" probably realize. Who cares if all of the long-time fans/alumni like the logo the way it is. I'm willing to bet the oversized logo sand1 posted without the block c is more appealing to the current players and RECRUITS than the one we currently have. So if something as simple as dropping the block c and making the gamecock oversized can help even the least little bit with sparking interest in recruits, is that not worth sacrificing a little piece of tradition?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #87
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
And that's a lot more important than the "traditionalists" probably realize. Who cares if all of the long-time fans/alumni like the logo the way it is. I'm willing to bet the oversized logo sand1 posted without the block c is more appealing to the current players and RECRUITS than the one we currently have. So if something as simple as dropping the block c and making the gamecock oversized can help even the least little bit with sparking interest in recruits, is that not worth sacrificing a little piece of tradition?
I agree, plus not all the fans like the current thing. As far as branding goes, i hope those people realize we haven't had the block C forever and there are many variations of it.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #88
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
I agree, plus not all the fans like the current thing. As far as branding goes, i hope those people realize we haven't had the block C forever and there are many variations of it.
That's what I've been trying to tell people as well, that the current logo isn't the one we've always had, so changing or updating it wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal as some are trying to make it seem.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #89
robert40
Recruit

Male

robert40 has feathers coming inrobert40 has feathers coming inrobert40 has feathers coming in

Just put USC on it.
robert40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #90
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbrewDawg View Post
A design like this came to my mind as well. Even oversized, the gamecock is a little busy, so a closeup on just his head/neck wrapped around the helmet like that could be pretty sweet. It'd also be a lot easier to pick out from a distance/on TV.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #91
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGEGARNETCOCK View Post
Nice avatar Piston Honda!

Thanks. It's Piston DJ Swag! Found it on FB.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #92
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetBlack&Blue View Post
JESUS... it's called branding. Your have to keep your logo the same so people recognize it, people recognize the block-c logo as a whole as the South Carolina logo. Things they don't recognize as the South Carolina logo: 1) just the gamecock 2) just the C 3) interlocking SC 4) interlocking USC

Do you think fans of Michigan, Ohio State, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Texas, and the other historic programs think about changing their logo all the time?
I agree with part of this but ask a lot of people on here and they say we have no history to the Block C and Gamecock logo. So why not change it up, modernize it? It might work FOR us and make people take notice of us if done right, tweeked and modernized right.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #93
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellanaesp View Post
Another photoshop...
This is very cool. Only thing I would say is Garnet helmet. I'm an 80's man myself and love the Garnet helmet from those days like many posters on here.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #94
eaddy1847
Gamecock Since 1976

Male

CockyCash: 800
eaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
Has anyone who has photoshop skills ever done the Gamecock Logo without the block C against the all-white helmet as a background, with the Gamecock Logo made much larger because of the space deleting the Block C would provide? (Making the Gamecock logo discernible)

Our logo is really awesome, but so frequently it is undersized or put against a garnet or black background so that it is very hard to make out, especially at any distance.

I would love for fans to actually be able to make out the details of our beloved logo.

It's amazing to me when people ask for things we did like four decades ago. Yancey tried to point this out but no one got his sarcasm.

From 1966-67 (you can buy one on eBay)

Name:  60sgcockhelmet.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  178.4 KB

Some of y'all should brush up on your Gamecock football history LOL!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #95
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I would like to see it directly from the side while a person is wearing it, because I think maybe the angle of the picture combined with the natural tilt of the helmet makes it look "crooked" to me.
i love it just like that!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #96
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #97
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Why are so many people completely enamored with a generic block letter? The whole point is that the gamecock on the logo is what makes it unique, so why not drop the clunky letter and enlarge the part of the logo we would really like for people to recognize? Geez!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #98
cjssax
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1000
cjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his claws

I don't like it with just the bird, I had that logo on my truck last year, switched to the the Block C, looks so much better!

cjssax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #99
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjssax View Post
I don't like it with just the bird, I had that logo on my truck last year, switched to the the Block C, looks so much better!
But let me ask you something about what you had/have on your truck. Is it larger than what appears on the football helmets? There are a lot of people who claim the current logo is unique and stands out when the team is on the field/TV. But when I see it on the helmets, it just looks like a big blob of garnet and black. The only reason it's recognizable is because I already know what it is, but I'm not convinced the majority of the country has that same advantage. Since the gamecock is the part that is actually unique, make it significantly larger and have it featured without the letter so it will definitely be obvious what it is to people outside of the fanbase. And since the university has expressed an interest in sort of rebranding, dropping the letter would be a relatively significant yet simple change that will keep with tradition by having the bird stay the same, but it will also modernize the look.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #100
cjssax
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1000
cjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his clawscjssax is sharpening his claws

Quote:
But let me ask you something about what you had/have on your truck. Is it larger than what appears on the football helmets? There are a lot of people who claim the current logo is unique and stands out when the team is on the field/TV. But when I see it on the helmets, it just looks like a big blob of garnet and black. The only reason it's recognizable is because I already know what it is, but I'm not convinced the majority of the country has that same advantage. Since the gamecock is the part that is actually unique, make it significantly larger and have it featured without the letter so it will definitely be obvious what it is to people outside of the fanbase. And since the university has expressed an interest in sort of rebranding, dropping the letter would be a relatively significant yet simple change that will keep with tradition by having the bird stay the same, but it will also modernize the look.
Yeah, it was probaly 2x the size of the logo on the helmets now...I guess since I grew up in the 80's I will always associate the C with the Gamecocks! Btw love the idea of maybe using garnet helmets for at least one game in the future!

cjssax is offline   Reply With Quote