CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Ericvol2096
l^l^lBGCock
smoovecock
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
Travelin
GamecockSuperFan
taylorssc
doubledribble
cocks are us
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (2784)
Gamecockology Helms (987)
SEC QB's in the Red (970)
Little know stat (We (960)
Where do you like to (530)
We're going to the N (504)
Amelia Earhart Plane (291)
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTIN (209)
This season and recr (194)
Anyone have a recipe (193)
Lose to Clemson, or to Te
Tennessee - South Carolin
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
Have you ever been so wro
What does it take to win?
Interesting quotes from D
Uniforms for Tenn
official UFC thread. (new
MY 7 STEP PROGRAM TO FIX
Tennessee Offense Breakdo

Old 12-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #21
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material
Default Re: Retire #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
The number doesn't need to be retired lol. It is fine if they want to retire his jersey but we don't need to go around retiring numbers. Also it is the policy of the athletic department that if a player leaves early before they graduate their jersey can't be retired. Listen Marcus will never been forgotten and he is indeed one of the greats to play in the garnet and black but he doesn't need to have his number retired. I think people are taking things a little bit to far and letting their emotions get caught up in all of this.
Yeah, you're right. He probably doesn't warrant any emotion or having his number retired.

The policy is dated and stupid. The players most likely to have a significant impact (particularly on the field) will be gone after 3 years anyway.

We're not talking about retiring everyone's number. We're talking about retiring one number which belonged to one Marcus Lattimore. And if anyone who comes after him matches his impact on, and more significantly to this discussion, off the field, then let Marcus be the standard by which others are judged. You act like we just invented the concept of special players having numbers retired. Should we never retire anyone's number ever?
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #22
KCCOCK
Recruit

Male

KCCOCK has earned his spursKCCOCK has earned his spursKCCOCK has earned his spursKCCOCK has earned his spursKCCOCK has earned his spursKCCOCK has earned his spurs

I vote for retiring #21
KCCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #23
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i dont think the policy says anything about excluding players leaving early. someone would have to show that to me, because i never saw that mentioned during the whole sharpe spurrier retired number debacle. its essentially a ring of honor, retiring jerseys and not numbers. the players name jersey and number will be in the stadium and its still an exclusive club. a player can wear 21 again on the field, but lattimore's 21 will always be in the stadium. assuming it gets retired 5 years from now. if lattimore gets his jersey retired in 5 years, it will still be a tremendous honor even if someone else is wearing 21 the next season.

the aspects of the policy make sense, because while it confuses fans, it makes sure there arent any snap judgments and keeps numbers in circulation.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #24
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
While I understand this, he is ultimately almost fully responsible for this university's turn around..
im still gonna give the nod to spurrier on this...without him we are still the old Carolina

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #25
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

He needs a freaking statue.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #26
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
Yeah, you're right. He probably doesn't warrant any emotion or having his number retired.

The policy is dated and stupid. The players most likely to have a significant impact (particularly on the field) will be gone after 3 years anyway.

We're not talking about retiring everyone's number. We're talking about retiring one number which belonged to one Marcus Lattimore. And if anyone who comes after him matches his impact on, and more significantly to this discussion, off the field, then let Marcus be the standard by which others are judged. You act like we just invented the concept of special players having numbers retired. Should we never retire anyone's number ever?
The policy of retiring jerseys, but not numbers is new, and that is what most schools are doing now, I believe. The university tried to unretire some numbers, but one player(still living), balked. USC tried to give #2 to Alshon, but the player didn't go for it. It seems there are only so many numbers 0-100, and the university went for retiring only jerseys, not numbers. As far as I know, that is the policy.
carolinacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #27
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 420
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

I'm all for retiring the jersey but no need to retire the number.

We're a growing program. We're getting big time players more regularly than ever. But are we going to retire Clowney's #? And the next 5* guy after that? Alshon did a lot here too. Just trying to put things in to perspective. Latti did everything right on and off the field but there were still big time players winning big time games for us for the 12 games or so Marcus didn't play in over the past 3 years. FlorenceCock made a good point about emotions.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 AM   #28
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
While I understand this, he is ultimately almost fully responsible for this university's turn around. I understand the policy, but to fans everywhere, this policy can be rewritten, especially when the name Lattimore is involved.
I disagree. The groundwork for USC's rise, imo, was the 2007 recruiting class, the best recruiting class ever at USC. By the time Marcus stepped foot on the field, these guys were redshirt juniors, and seniors. The 5th year seniors led to the first eleven win season at Carolina. While Marcus contributed a lot, especially his freshman year, he is not the sole reason USC turned it around. The ground work was already laid.
carolinacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #29
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAlmighty View Post
He needs a freaking statue.
Not a bad idea or a bust or plaque, maybe, but a few years down the line. Not just yet. I want to see what kind of impact he makes in the NFL but even if it happens to not work out for him in the NFL, still a statue but still few years down the line and put it somewhere near the entrance of the new Farmer's Market grounds where everyone could see it. Also, an award for all around talent and service to community in his name would be cool maybe given at the Garnet & Black Spring Game annually.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #30
WE_ARE
Mr. BIG COCK

Male

WE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
I actually like this sentiment a lot, but a lot of players will want to make their own name. Barring this, though, retire it. It should be hanging in the stadium. There will only ever be one #21.

I wouldn't say there will only ever be one #21, I was always a big fan of Ryan Brewer. We can't forget about him.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:49 AM   #31
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
I believe AD policy is that players who leave early for the draft aren't eligible to have their numbers retired.
There are exceptions to every "rule". No individual player has had such a great effect on this program as Marcus Lattimore and he deserves to have his Jersey retired

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:11 AM   #32
Carolina_Harv
Displaced and Disgruntled

Male

CockyCash: 10088029
Carolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot material

I get why we don't retire numbers......Young kids are attached to numbers.....Hell in any sport I play I always try to wear #8 because I idolized and still idolize Cal Ripken Jr. Alot of emotion is flowing right now with Lattimore and in Spurrier I trust b/c well Spurrier has been doing this for a long time and however Spurrier decides to remember Lattimore and pass onto his players what an impact he had on this program on and off the field, well I am sure it will be the right one.

But to the point of showing Lattimore how much he meant why don't you make an award that is presented at the beginning or the end of the year each year to the one player who exemplifies most what it is to be a 3 tool student athlete......The 3 tools being contributions on the field and to the team (could be a player sacrificing playing time or moving to another position to help the team b/c it does not always have to be the guy making sports center highlights), tool 2 being a great student so dean's list or top 5 GPA on the team, and tool 3 which is what I think Lattimore did more then any player we have had at SC and that is community envolvement/character. Lattimore had the most humble unselfish way about going about life. He was willing to give his time more then any other player we have ever had suit up for us and I think the only time he said no to someone was when the coaches told him he couldnt b/c they did not want him to stretch himself to thin........

So I propose this, get a trophy at the beginning or the end of each year of Marcus posing whether it be suited up running or just standing there. Mount it and give it out at the beginning of each year. And in our trophy room put a bigger version with each player from 2012 on starting with the great Marcus Lattimore and so on and so forth.

Just an idea flame if you want to.

**The poster formally known as CarolinaCockStar
**SIG created by cack
Carolina_Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #33
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

I'd rather see a statue. We need some statues outside the stadium. Marcus, George, and Spurrier.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #34
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

This song reminds me of Lattimore
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #35
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

I'm okay if it's retiring his jersey and not his number. I'm just advocating for recognition. I get the logistics of retiring the number. I would prefer his number be retired, but am okay if it's simply his jersey/ring of honor situation.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #36
CockyVet
Walk On

Male

CockyVet is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post
I'd rather see a statue. We need some statues outside the stadium. Marcus, George, and Spurrier.
Off topic, but why isn't there one of George? When UF kids visit they see the statues of Spurrier, Wuerffel, and Tebow. Why don't we have one of George? And next year for Clowney when he wins. I'd chip in a $100 as an alum to help make that happen.
CockyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #37
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

We do NOT retire numbers. We retire jerseys. Retiring Marcus's jersey is entirely appropriate.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #38
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
We do NOT retire numbers. We retire jerseys. Retiring Marcus's jersey is entirely appropriate.
I agree.

I understand the sentiment to retire a number, but quite honestlly what do we do when Clowney leaves next year? Retire his number too?

Hang a replica of Marcus's jersey in the stadium with some of his records listed, or create a "Marcus Lattimore Award" for the best RB each year.

We don't need a statue of him. George needs one for winning the Heisman...sadly, Marcus never got the chance.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #39
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I think a lot of these ideas are over the top for a guy that didn't play a full 3 seasons.

A statue? Really?

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #40
ElectricCock
Fear The Thumb, Clemson

Male

CockyCash: 200516
ElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot material

He never got 1st Team All American, didnt graduate Carolina, and didn't score a TD against Clemson. And y'all are talking about retiring a number and even a statue? lol

I love Marcus as much as the next guy, but let your emotions settle and make a rational decision

Please don't blast me.