CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
Badazcock
CockyLifer
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (27962)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2224)
Simple "yes&quo (1571)
We actually didnt lo (1343)
Phil Steele just pre (1251)
what I think ab ward (1119)
Eat Crow (1015)
Extremely Proud (1001)
Garcia: Change the R (796)
I want people to exp (724)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
I want people to explain
Stop bashing Dylan
We actually didnt lose
Extremely Proud
Who start on the d line t
Defense question
Eat Crow
what I think ab ward
We would be 7-1 with just

View Poll Results: Who is the number one guy on your board?
Tyrone Crowder 12 13.64%
Larenz Bryant 16 18.18%
Kelsey Griffin 2 2.27%
Matt Rolin 25 28.41%
Michael Hill 8 9.09%
Na'Ty Rodgers 2 2.27%
Mike Williams 16 18.18%
Tyshon Dye 2 2.27%
David Williams 1 1.14%
MarQuez North 4 4.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #14461
DawginCola
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
DawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
A couple of weeks ago JaQuay Williams was adamant that he and Wiggins were going to play together. Now JW is going to Aggie Land and Wiggins is still in Athens. I just don't think he has much credibility any more, and don't believe he'll ever play for us.
2/3 of "package deals" are bullshit anyway.

Wiggins IS taking all 5 OV's and there is a shot that he flips, but you hear a lot of kids now-a-days says they will play with their "boys" and then they all seem to end up at different schools.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #14462
DJCatfish
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his comb
Default Re: Top prospects we have remaining you'd prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamcock View Post
Is OP talking about Montravious Adams?

MA has zero interest in USC. It ain't happening, though I would love for that not to be the case. He's not interested, though.

Williams and Rodgers are the silent commits, whatever that means. If you aren't willing to tell anybody, I don't see how you can be committed.

Ngakoue just said that he will be announcing before he even visits us. That does not sound good for the home team. We'll end up signing a LB that isn't even on any fans radar right now.
If you tell the coaching staff but ask them to keep it quiet, that could mean something (depending on the person). I could see someone wanting to commit publicly at an all-star game or something but also wanting to "lock up" their spot in the class and slow down their recruiting. For example, maybe David Williams wanted to secure his spot at RB over Greg Bryant (which was successful, if he did) but he also wants to get his fun moment to make a public announcement. Getting a scholarship to a big time school is a big deal, and I think it's reasonable if a recruit wants to have a little fanfare with the announcement, even if he's already made up his mind in private.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #14463
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
duff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his comb
Default Re: What could our recruiters be doing better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
Better....What are we willing to risk?

We could go full blown Trooper Taylor/Auburn/clemson throwing out cash to get the top talent. Also, we could go Tenn/So Cal and have a huge recruiting budget and hostesses/prostitutes. We could go Miami on the ponzi scheme donors and take recruits to strip clubs/boats/meals and give them non existant high paying jobs in our firms (along with their parents/families.) We could go unc and create fictional classes for them to take where they know they are going to get good grades for turning in anything.

We could do a lot of things differently...but what are we willing to risk? Wait, why don't we risk more???? Those schools either aren't on probation, are on a short term probation, and maybe can't play in 1 post season. As long as we don't have perverts we won't lose much, and even then, only a fistfull of post seasons.
I don't know if that is pointed at me, but I would never condone any of what you are describing. I admire the way Spurrier and his staff do things.

I get the point about our coaches are human beings and have families, but they also get paid a ton of money to coach a sport and have a lot of down time at certain times of the year. To be honest, compared to the average working joe, they have it pretty darn good.

I think our coaches do a great job and are particularly good at finding those two and three star players who turn out to be studs. I just sometimes think the passion for recruiting is not equal to other schools with whom we compete. Not asking them to work 20 hour days, has nothing to do with it.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #14464
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material
Default Re: Montravious Adams Thread (2013 Prospect)

My Dad wants this guy to be a Gamecock so bad. I keep telling him, just let it go, he's not coming here.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #14465
GamecockNeal
American Gamecock....

Male

CockyCash: 5445
GamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot material
Default Re: Montravious Adams Thread (2013 Prospect)

Maybe hell end up at New Mexico or Byu haha.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #14466
cockthehammer
Blue Chip

Male

cockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervous

^^^This
Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #14467
HTCOCK
Recruit

HTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his comb

Any chance Rolin flips back? Just wondering.
HTCock
Old 12-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #14468
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Shaquille Wiggins Thread (2013 Prospect) - Georgia

Wiggins is reported to be taking an OV here Jan 11, then Florida, then Ole Miss, then Texas A & M, each one the following week. I hadn't seen this before, but I doubt it makes much difference.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #14469
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
In recent history, who have we taken away from someon else. Someone who verbally committed elsewhere and our recruiters took away from them?
Chris Moody
Old 12-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #14470
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCOCK View Post
Any chance Rolin flips back? Just wondering.
HTCock
I would seriously doubt it. Plus from our prospective, we still like him better as a TE and he doesn't want to play TE.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 AM   #14471
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I would seriously doubt it. Plus from our prospective, we still like him better as a TE and he doesn't want to play TE.
Also an EE. And after the response I don't think he'd want to come back here. And after how he handled himself, I def. don't want him.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #14472
Loathor
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 570
Loathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervous

The thing I like about our recruiting recently is the array of players we are pulling in. If you look back at the last three classes they have basically brought in three entire teams (QB through Safety with a kicker thrown in) in each class. No aspect of the team is being ignored. We're also bringing in athletes who can play multiple positions on both sides of the ball. This builds depth and talent equally across the board.

Losing Rollin and Langley would have hurt a lot more if we weren't bringing in three other guys who can play their positions in the same class.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #14473
GamecockNuke
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockNuke has feathers coming inGamecockNuke has feathers coming in
Default WR recruiting

It is unreal the number of high profile and low profile WR that have passed us up this recruiting cycle. Given our depth chart and the fact that we have 0 WR committed in this class, it is extremely puzzling that we don't have anyone wanting to come here. Am I missing something?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #14474
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material
Default Re: WR recruiting

We probably aren't taking a WR in this class. To my knowledge the coaching staff hasn't really pursued a WR that heavily in this cycle.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #14475
GamecockNuke
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockNuke has feathers coming inGamecockNuke has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1986 View Post
We probably aren't taking a WR in this class. To my knowledge the coaching staff hasn't really pursued a WR that heavily in this cycle.
We've heavily pursued a number of WR targets and whiffed... alvin bailey, mike williams, jaquay williams, demarcus robinson, etc.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #14476
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockNuke View Post
We've heavily pursued a number of WR targets and whiffed... alvin bailey, mike williams, jaquay williams, demarcus robinson, etc.
Alvin Bailey was never our #1 option in a year we were taking a 1 maybe 2 WRs. Demarcus Robinson we threw our hats in the ring because of Marcus Robinson just on the off chance we could get him but he has been strong between Florida and Clemson so we knew we had little chance. Jaquay Williams we recruited for 1 week after being contacted by him. Mike Williams we went after. So what were you saying about heavily pursuing? We went after them but 2 just hard enough to see what would happen and didn't turn on the heat when we didn't see what we wanted. 1 we recruited for a week. 1 we recruited heavily.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #14477
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

We red shirted several WR's last year. It is not a need. No other way to say it.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #14478
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Need that big body WR that we don't have and didn't get this year. It should be a bigger focus in recruiting next year but our offensive style isn't going to attract the big time WRs. We have to find someone to develop or WRs who are already Gamecock fans / local kids.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #14479
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

They will sign a few in 2014. Outside of Terry and Williams, they never really "pushed" for a receiver.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #14480
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
Need that big body WR that we don't have and didn't get this year. It should be a bigger focus in recruiting next year but our offensive style isn't going to attract the big time WRs. We have to find someone to develop or WRs who are already Gamecock fans / local kids.
You've heard of Kwinton Smith, right?
Closed Thread