CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
garnet_black215
CockyRyan
Master Bedroom
Gamecocks1137
Spurticus
GamecockSuperFan
Regalcock
MWard
WeStillOwnUSC
Clemson Recruiting.. (3550)
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1599)
Ranking the Opposing (1497)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (1243)
Not a Rival.. (1104)
Gamecock Coaches as (972)
NCAA Football 15 (600)
Hello Gamecocks! (559)
Marching band (479)
John Rocker at rock (429)
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
2015 - Mon Denson
Green and Lammons
SEC Recruiting Advantage
Gurley or Davis
Ced Cooper's 40 Time
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
Galaxy vs Seatle
John Rocker at rock botto

View Poll Results: Honor the University Legends with a Patch Like Michigan Does?
I would like to see this 41 42.71%
No 43 44.79%
No Opinion 12 12.50%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material
Default Do NOT Retire #21

Our Outback Bowl opponents have a great system when it comes to honoring their former greats:

Quote:
Michigan didn’t retire Desmond Howard’s No. 21 Saturday night.
Instead, the school immortalized it.

The university announced prior to its first home night contest against Notre Dame that Howard will become an inaugural “Michigan Football Legend.”
[University Students, Faculty and StaffReceive 5% off purchases of $25 or more. ]

The former Heisman Trophy-winning Wolverine receiver will be honored at Michigan forever, as his No. 21 jersey - currently worn by wide receiver Junior Hemingway - will now always come with a patch on the upper left chest featuring Howard's name.

Michigan receiver Junior Hemingway's No. 21 jersey was adorned with a new Desmond Howard patch.
Joseph Tobianski I AnnArbor.com

“This is a great way to honor our legends,” Michigan athletic director David Brandon said in a statement. “Desmond will be the first in what will become a unique way to honor some of our Michigan football greats.

“Many of our current fans and players don’t know or remember the five jerseys that we previously retired and who wore them. The concept is a visible representations of iconic figures in our program’s storied history that fans across the country will see every Saturday.”

The legendary former Wolverine receiver was also presented with his formal College Football Hall of Fame plaque prior to kickoff. Howard also delivered a teary-eyed speech to the capacity crowd following the presentation.
“(My Michigan) experiences make me the man that I am today, a Michigan man,” he said.

In addition to the permanent jersey patch, Howard will be the first Michigan Football Legend to be featured in a soon-to-be renovated Schembechler Hall. Also, all lockers used by a current and future Michigan football No. 21 will be redesigned to commemorate Howard as a “Michigan Football Legend.”

“We are planning to dedicate an area in Schembechler Hall where these iconic figures can be displayed,” Brandon said in a statement. “And Coach (Brady) Hoke and all future Michigan head coaches will assign this historic jersey to a special player who is deserving of the honor to wear Desmond’s No. 21.”

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-fo...otball-legend/

I say recognize the legend that is Lattimore with a similar patch.

You can do the same for #7 when he goes.

#40 on defense should have a patch in honor of Norwood.

In fact, what other patches would you see right now and would you support this idea?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1731674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material
Default Re: Do NOT Retire #21

You would end up with a "patchwork looking" jersey.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

How many patches would you have on one jersey? Three? I am counting the SEC patch and the NCAA patch. We have had three or more patches on the jerseys before when we have had anniversary years or special games. Just work with UA.

It doesn't have to be a huge patch
Old 12-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Marshall4usc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Marshall4usc is making other chickens nervousMarshall4usc is making other chickens nervousMarshall4usc is making other chickens nervousMarshall4usc is making other chickens nervousMarshall4usc is making other chickens nervousMarshall4usc is making other chickens nervousMarshall4usc is making other chickens nervousMarshall4usc is making other chickens nervous

What happens when you have more than one "great" with the same #? If we are truly a program on the rise these types of players will be more frequent and the risk goes up of this happening

Marshall4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

I prefer ring of honor ideas. Another thing that some schools do, like Notre Dame, they put in the players locker all the greatest that came before him that wore his number. It is more of a you have this legacy to live up to. Fans usually remember the greats that came before, the players new to the program don't always.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
I prefer ring of honor ideas. Another thing that some schools do, like Notre Dame, they put in the players locker all the greatest that came before him that wore his number. It is more of a you have this legacy to live up to. Fans usually remember the greats that came before, the players new to the program don't always.
This is a much better idea.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
tpep
Two Deep

Male

tpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
Our Outback Bowl opponents have a great system when it comes to honoring their former greats:

In fact, what other patches would you see right now and would you support this idea?
6 defense 38 offense
tpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
JQ94
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
JQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talons

I don't likw patches
.I prefer names in lockers & around the stadium
Old 12-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Ring of Honor is better. This is more in line with the notion of retiring the jersey, not the number.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 700
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post

IMO it's rather tacky! And kids like "their #" They don't come to these programs to live in a shadow , they want to make a name for themselves!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

No, I don't want to see patches like this on the jerseys. What happens when there are 5 greats who have worn that jersey and deserve a patch? It would border on ridiculous then.

I'm not against retiring numbers, but I think that should happen rarely and only for the greatest of the great. I know Marcus is one of the greats, but I think all of the talk about retiring his number is knee-jerk reaction to him leaving. If we wait 5 years or so to truly be able to look back on his career, I'm not sure if a lot of people would still be calling for this to happen.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
CaptainCock91
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 495
CaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot material

Don't like the patch idea too much.

What would be a better idea is retiring jerseys. Find a place in the stadium to hang up replica jerseys with the players name on it, but the number stays available. Kinda like UNC does for basketball.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
As much as I hate ND, I was thinking the same thing...but, then only the players see that. But, I like that idea and think we should do it...we should just do something else as well. Ring of honor...wall of fame...something.

The negative about jersey retiring to me is this...While Marcus has done tremendous things here, he has only really played two seasons for us over a three season period. DeVonte Holloman wears the same jersey number for us and has played pretty well for four seasons for us. There you are weighing impact vs longevity between two guys from the same time period wearing the same number. Do we retire the # 21 on offense for Marcus? What about the #7 next season?

I like honoring our guys, but we have to come up with something better than this.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

In 20-30 years the jerseys might start looking like NASCAR. Retiring the jersey is the most appropriate and sensible gesture. I'd hate to lose a recruit because he was hellbent on wearing 21.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

I thought a fu manchu would be a good way to honor Kenny Miles...

..Maybe we could have some Latti cornrows for the player who works hardest on and off the field to wear.

Hell..we could turn our current players into Mr. Potato heads and start dressing them up as our favorite players from the past..opposing defenses wouldn't know what hit em
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #16
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCock91 View Post
Don't like the patch idea too much.

What would be a better idea is retiring jerseys. Find a place in the stadium to hang up replica jerseys with the players name on it, but the number stays available. Kinda like UNC does for basketball.
Exactly.
People can still wear the number, just know the people before you that have worn it, and the expectations that particular number carries if you pick it.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

No opinion for me.
Marcus was an outstanding individual without a doubt, but his total
numbers were cut short by the injuries, and to me, to have a jersy
retired would mean having set some lofty numbers on the way to
breaking some lofty numbers by other players. ..... However, I recognize
the "other" things Marcus brought to this team that went way beyond
stats, and for that, if the university decided it worthy to retire #21
in honor of Marcus Lattimore, I'd certainly not be a person who would
question it or find fault with it. In terms of the intangibles outside the
numbers he did put up, he was probably the greatest to ever wear a
Gamecock uniform. Definitely by the way he represented the program
while wearing it, and his actions both on and off the field. ...He was
absolutely right. He will forever and always be a Gamecock.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

I changed my mind. Do what we are doing now. The names on the ramp rings. Can't switch my vote but count one less for and one more against.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Here's an idea...What about a 'Walk of Heroes' or greats/whatever outside of the stadium when renovated?

It could be kinda like that Chinese thing in Hollywood, or be lined with pedestals/plaques/and statues...or a combination of both.

Everyone it seems has a 'ring of honor' inside the stadium...this, I think, would be a little different and serve the purpose. Some could get their names in the sidewalk...those deserving a little more acclaim could get the pedestals w/ plaques...and Heisman Trophy winners and Championship coaches could get statues.

How's that?

EDIT: Of course, keep doing what we are doing inside the stadium on the ramps with record holders...
to come true." Bodhi.

Last edited by Cocky2001; 12-13-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: last comment
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
Cigaro
I drink your milkshake

Male

CockyCash: 50092224
Cigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot material

I think it would be cool to have a place for a patch with Lattimore and other great's names, but looking at our uniforms, I don't see a non-awkward or clunky spot for it.