CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Spurticus
Acockolypse Now
Gamecocks1137
MisterClowney
gamecockgal
spareparts
jrussjr
B-G
MEL
Ace suspended 4 game (2047)
Top 10 Reasons Why T (1781)
watching the Alabama (550)
Da'Quan Bowers had a (428)
A good friend of min (380)
Sidney Rice Retiring (374)
Dan Patrick Show - P (319)
ESPN Insider (296)
Phil Steele's Colleg (202)
Pictures of older Co (153)
Gamecock Showcase Attende
Bonefish Grill
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Sidney Rice Retiring From
2015 - Christian Pellage
FAIRGROUNDS PARKING GREEN
Tenn vs WVU in Charlotte
Name a Gamecock
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Missing that annual relea

Old 12-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #41
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

CockyCash: 2300
jcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Retire #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCock View Post
He never got 1st Team All American, didnt graduate Carolina, and didn't score a TD against Clemson. And y'all are talking about retiring a number and even a statue? lol

I love Marcus as much as the next guy, but let your emotions settle and make a rational decision

Please don't blast me.
+1

Marcus is, and probably will forever be my favorite Gamecock. He's done a metric ton for this program. But the first person to have a statue should be Big George...until he's got one, no one else should even be mentioned.

And here's how I honored Marcus recently; by having my family sport his number in a few of our family photos...These pictures will last forever, and in the future I'll be able to tell my 2 year old stories about why he and daddy were wearing #21 that day.
Attached Images

jcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #42
86 GradCock
7 Year Plan

Male

CockyCash: 1450
86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
The policy of retiring jerseys, but not numbers is new, and that is what most schools are doing now, I believe. The university tried to unretire some numbers, but one player(still living), balked. USC tried to give #2 to Alshon, but the player didn't go for it. It seems there are only so many numbers 0-100, and the university went for retiring only jerseys, not numbers. As far as I know, that is the policy.
Sterling Sharpe; arguably the greatest receiver to ever play for South Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I think a lot of these ideas are over the top for a guy that didn't play a full 3 seasons.

A statue? Really?
Completely agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCock View Post
He never got 1st Team All American, didnt graduate Carolina, and didn't score a TD against Clemson. And y'all are talking about retiring a number and even a statue? lol

I love Marcus as much as the next guy, but let your emotions settle and make a rational decision

Please don't blast me.
Marcus is my all time favorite Gamecock and this is coming from over 30 years of being a fan. However, unless you have the perspective that comes only from years of following a program, it is easy to get caught up in the latest and greatest. The contributions Marcus made to the University of South Carolina are great and far reaching. His legacy will be remembered long after I am gone and an annual award is the perfect way to recognize and honor all that Marcus did for Gamecock Nation.
86 GradCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #43
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
I know it was mentioned in the Lattimore Appreciation thread, and to some this is a sensitive topic. I would like to say, I believe his number should be retired. He is the greatest gamecock to every play this game, be it on the field and off.

#Retire21

Retire the jersey not the number. It is too difficult to field a team when 10 percent of the numbers are unavailable because they have been "retired."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 GradCock View Post
Sterling Sharpe; arguably the greatest receiver to ever play for South Carolina.
No argument. He was the greatest.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #44
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

I'd rather see us endow a scholarship in his name like was just done for Tommy Suggs.

Speak with your wallet.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #45
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I'd rather see us endow a scholarship in his name like was just done for Tommy Suggs.

Speak with your wallet.
I love this idea, but each are not mutually exclusive.

I think it's going to be weird to see 21 on offense anymore, I can't remember a player in the past 10 or 20 years so associated with their number for me. However, I understand why people don't want to retire numbers for simply logistic reasons. The statue is a bit over the top, but the ring of honor with bronze busts or something along with history/photos/etc. around the stadium would be great.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #46
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

jcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I think it's going to be weird to see 21 on offense anymore, I can't remember a player in the past 10 or 20 years so associated with their number for me.
You remember this guy, right?
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #47
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I love this idea, but each are not mutually exclusive.

I think it's going to be weird to see 21 on offense anymore, I can't remember a player in the past 10 or 20 years so associated with their number for me. However, I understand why people don't want to retire numbers for simply logistic reasons. The statue is a bit over the top, but the ring of honor with bronze busts or something along with history/photos/etc. around the stadium would be great.
That does not mean others will feel that way. Also, it is not a very good argument for retiring a number, to help you feel less weird.

I agree with the sentiment that a lot of people are becoming too emotional to make good decisions about memorializing Lattimore. He was a good player, and but for his injuries might have been great; however, we are going way overboard with some of this retiring numbers, building statutes, and plaques stuff.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #48
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

People are really getting crazy with all of this. Look we all love Marcus Lattimore and he will go down in history of one of the greatest Gamecocks ever but look people he doesn't warrant having his number retired or a freaking statue built of him. Like I said in my other post people are getting way to emotional about this and letting them control them.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #49
DBMack
Walk On

CockyCash: 500
DBMack has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcook84 View Post
+1

Marcus is, and probably will forever be my favorite Gamecock. He's done a metric ton for this program. But the first person to have a statue should be Big George...until he's got one, no one else should even be mentioned.

And here's how I honored Marcus recently; by having my family sport his number in a few of our family photos...These pictures will last forever, and in the future I'll be able to tell my 2 year old stories about why he and daddy were wearing #21 that day.
I respect your opinion, but here's why I disagree....

First, Rogers was honored with a street being named after him and he was painted on the sides of buildings around campus. From a pure stat/on-field performance perspective, he is probably the greatest Gamecock thus far. But he never had the intangible impact on the program the way Marcus did. Marcus was the catalyst for the greatest upward surge in our team's history. Not Spurrier, Marcus. George didn't provide the same spark to the program. We stayed mediocre for years to come.

Marcus' impact can't be measured in yards and TDs. But I guarantee you, the abbreviated time he spent on the field for us will last for generations. I think a statue is the least we should do to honor him.
DBMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #50
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

I remember Brewer but I don't associate him so strongly with his number for whatever reason.

The fact with USC is that in the past we have done a piss poor job recognizing player's accomplishments and have lost connections with our stars. Spurrier has moved us in the right direction with the stadium but more could be done to bring a better historical significance to the stadium and to the program, which for me includes endowment scholarships.

Frankly, I don't care if they really retire the number or not, but we as a program should do a better job of recognizing and remembering our past.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #51
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
While I understand this, he is ultimately almost fully responsible for this university's turn around. I understand the policy, but to fans everywhere, this policy can be rewritten, especially when the name Lattimore is involved.

There is and always will be only one Lattimore, and #21 is and always will be connected to that.
Dude, I love Lattimore and everything he's done, but that statement is a bit over the top. Dial it back just a hair. Steve Spurrier is the person most responsible for the turn around of the program.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #52
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

USC should damn sure make him a Captain for the Outback Bowl and allow him to walk to the center of the field and call the coin toss.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #53
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

You put statues up/name things for players/coaches for their on the field accomplishments. Marcus, while he was a beast when healthy, didn't win a championship or a Heisman or set a career yardage record, etc. He was a very good college football player no doubt but he is not statue or street name worthy.

Putting his name on the walkway for the rushing TD record is plenty. Maybe do the scholarship fund thing.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #54
garnet_tacos
Walk On

Male

garnet_tacos has feathers coming ingarnet_tacos has feathers coming ingarnet_tacos has feathers coming in

How about USC starts a space program and puts a statue of him on the moon?
Love Lattimore, but you guys are taking this to the extreme
garnet_tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #55
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
bigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervous

Can we get a poll attached to see who prefers retiring it to the idea of making someone earn it?? thanks
Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #56
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMack View Post
I think a statue is the least we should do to honor him.
If a statue is the least we should do, what do you think would be sufficient?

University of South Carolina Fighting Lattimores?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #57
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
policy is to retire jerseys, not numbers. if he still holds a school record in 5 years undoubtedly his jersey will get retired.
This. Just not enough numbers to go around to be retiring any of them.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #58
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcook84 View Post
If a statue is the least we should do, what do you think would be sufficient?

University of South Carolina Fighting Lattimores?
I know right. We need to rename Williams-Brice to Marcus Lattimore Stadium at the very least.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #59
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

When did retiring a jersey become extreme. I never said a thing about a statue or anything else. Just retire the number and jersey.
If a guy gets hurt and even the opposing team comes onto the field for support, the guy is something else all together. You probably won't ever see that again.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #60
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

I can't see retiring his number. Like it or not, there is a stigma attached to the players who leave early for the NFL.

Quote:
Steve Spurrier is the person most responsible for the turn around of the program.
You said it. Pts.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote