CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Master Bedroom
JerseyBird
FurmanCock
Cockhornleghorn
SanAntonioCock
rabid cock
JaxcockFL
GamecockUltimate
Lalli25
Morris to SMU (6926)
Venables to TAMU? (2685)
Clemson fans (1952)
Vegas line moving on (1893)
Phil Kronblut show (974)
Women's Soccer Elite (829)
End of the aTm / LSU (791)
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (781)
Arkansas... (706)
Have we been favored (620)
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Morris to SMU
2014 Class AAAA Playoffs
Arkansas...
Clemson fans
2015 Commitment - Dexter
Phil Kronblut show
Venables to TAMU?
End of the aTm / LSU game
Texans getting frustrated

Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
bcgibson75
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
bcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPit
Default Dabo Swinney - Hot Seat?

This is just speculation, but is Dabo fired at Clemson if they lose...

LSU - '12 Bowl Game in Atl
UGA - '13 season & home opener
FSU - '13 home ACC game
USC - '13 @ Williams-Brice in Columbia

???

Recently had a conversation with a my great-uncle, who served on the IPTAY board during last 10 years and had a son play football there...

He kinda laid out a scenario of what could go down after his discussions with the new AD up there.

Who knows what will transpire, but the possibility is apparently there if they don't have some success against SEC foes and win the weak ACC.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dabo Swinney - Hot Seat?

The clemson way would be to fire dabo and promote chad to HC. Adding yet another name to the list of coaches they are paying to not coach at clemson.
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
treyno2722
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1680
treyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his claws

Keep Dabo, I like winning that last game of the year.
treyno2722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
tpep
Two Deep

Male

tpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPit

for a school that fired a 9-3 coach to hire a nobody, who the hell knows or cares. keep hoping the whole dam thing will just disappear
tpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

To me, what would get Abo fired the quickest would be losing to the Gamecocks consistently. Boosters in Pickens county tech would not stand for much more of that! The other losses would hurt, no doubt, but not like getting burned by your rival by double digits every year. Ask John Cooper how that works...
Old 12-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
To me, what would get Abo fired the quickest would be losing to the Gamecocks consistently. Boosters in Pickens county tech would not stand for much more of that! The other losses would hurt, no doubt, but not like getting burned by your rival by double digits every year. Ask John Cooper how that works...
it took him a decade. if dabo stays at clemson for a decade then he makes enough jack to care.. matter of fact, he already has. i bet he has bagged close to 14 million so far.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

dabo has been a good coach for them in all honesty ...

i dont see how another coach is gonna do much better there...

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
onamission
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1300
onamission has hatched from the shell

He is going to have to win the acc and whatever bcs bowl game next year i think. I say this knowing they will lose to lsu, probably uga and definitely to usc next year
onamission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Scranton Tiger
Two Deep

Male

Scranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
To me, what would get Dabo fired the quickest would be losing to the Gamecocks consistently. Boosters in Pickens county tech would not stand for much more of that! The other losses would hurt, no doubt, but not like getting burned by your rival by double digits every year. Ask John Cooper how that works...
100% correct. If Clemson loses to LSU this year and/or loses to Georgia and/or Florida State next year it won't have any bearing on if Swinney stays or goes. If however he loses to Carolina again in 2013, I don't think he would survive that. Even if it was the only loss on the schedule. Truth be told, as much as I love Swinney, I'm surprised he survived after this year’s loss. People wonder why Tommy Bowden lasted so long at Clemson when he underachieved year end and year out. It's real simple. He beat South Carolina. There is no question that Dabo has done a better overall job than Bowden but 7-2 over his rival kept Tommy in Clemson. Something that has been lost over the last four years is something that every Clemson coach from Frank Howard to Tommy Bowden has understood. Tiger fans don't REALLY care about ACC Championships. Don't REALLY care about 10 or 11 win seasons. Don't REALLY care about top ten rankings. Those things are nice but only if a win over Carolina is also on the record. Otherwise, one or all of those things are irrelevant. So, to answer the question, if he beats Carolina next year, he'll be fine. If he loses, I'd be shocked if he isn't gone.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by onamission View Post
He is going to have to win the acc and whatever bcs bowl game next year i think. I say this knowing they will lose to lsu, probably uga and definitely to usc next year
They lose to LSU by a good bit,but in all honestly I think all their players that are elgible return and I think they possibly go into the USC game next year undefeated.No one in the ACC is even decent except FSU and they lose their QB and play at Clemson.Georgia is most likely going to lose almost their whole defense and possibly Murray.Looks like everything might be falling into place for the Tigers except that last game.Then again,they won all their winnable games this year and given Dabo's track record I don't see that happening 2 years in a row,so maybe they go into the USC game with 1 loss.
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
jch81
Two Deep

Male

jch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudly

If Clemson fires a coach that has 3 division championships, 2 straight 10 win seasons, a conference championship, and a bcs appearance in his first 4 years ever being a hc of any kind then we wont be able to attract another top hc because they will all feel like they have to win the national title every year or they are going to get canned.
jch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Dabo's not going anywhere for a few seasons.

He recruits well and an awful defense can still win a lot of games there. He will be there at least until Morris leaves and the next OC fails. Which I'm fine with since he may actually be the most useless head coach in all of football.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 0
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

The question is, "Is doing well in the acc but losing to us enough?"

My bet is that eventually, not next season, Dabo will go the way of the Dodo. He will pay the price for clemson being in a basketball conference. But, it will take more than next season.

Funny thing is, I like Dabo. Really, how many other coaches can exchange barbs with SOS? I think most of them are stupid and he has had little to do with any thing that he cites, but he tries and he comes across with a little conviction.

The nice things he said about Marcus goes a long ways with me.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

CockyCash: 2300
jcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudly

Dabo = first CU coach with a losing record against USC in five decades.

That stat probably doesn't taste too good up in Pickens County.

With that said, Emery and jch81 are exactly right...Clemson can't afford to fire Swinney.

And Dan Patrick said it best of all when he said that's what you get when you hire a cheerleader.
jcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
BloodySpur
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1200
BloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervous

Dabo is not a bad coach... he really has made the best with what has. Maybe the new AD can get things going in the right direction,,, but it will be tuff. Clemson has not been a good team in a looong time. They have seemed to me to be more suited for the Southern Conf.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 126034
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpep View Post
for a school that fired a 9-3 coach to hire a nobody, who the hell knows or cares. keep hoping the whole dam thing will just disappear

I have no idea how to comprehend this.. what are you talking about? haha
Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #17
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Honestly, he won't be fired after this season...even after we beat them for a fifth time.

But, after Morris leaves after next season....and takes Venables with him...Clemson will win 7 games, lose 6 straight to USC, Dabo will be gone.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 0
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodySpur View Post
Dabo is not a bad coach... he really has made the best with what has. Maybe the new AD can get things going in the right direction,,, but it will be tuff. Clemson has not been a good team in a looong time. They have seemed to me to be more suited for the Southern Conf.
Which is basically what the acc is in football. So, he is good for them as long as they are in the acc. Move them to the B1G and he is probably their Sparky Woods.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post
I have no idea how to comprehend this.. what are you talking about? haha
i think i know what he means..

1. Clemson fired Tommy Bowden with a 9-3 record and hired a nobody in swinney.

2. on the "hoping they dissappear"comment, as far as i can tell, i think he just wants clemson nuked off the earth?
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #20
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post
This is just speculation, but is Dabo fired at Clemson if they lose...

LSU - '12 Bowl Game in Atl
UGA - '13 season & home opener
FSU - '13 home ACC game
USC - '13 @ Williams-Brice in Columbia

???

Recently had a conversation with a my great-uncle, who served on the IPTAY board during last 10 years and had a son play football there...

He kinda laid out a scenario of what could go down after his discussions with the new AD up there.

Who knows what will transpire, but the possibility is apparently there if they don't have some success against SEC foes and win the weak ACC.
All of that will happen, but he will still be there...at least I hope so.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is online now   Reply With Quote