CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
uscjeremynca
Acockolypse Now
b381l
MACXIMVS
El Cid Ranger
sporkgod50
Spurticus
WeStillOwnUSC
Lonnie
Backup QB competitio (1396)
Blake McClain (1367)
What ever happened t (1256)
2014 Preseason USA T (771)
Ranking the SEC Fema (524)
Clowney's Madden Rat (435)
Ebola Outbreak (358)
2017 - Jaden Hunter (334)
Daily Dose of Food P (303)
2016 - B.J. Emmons (288)
Backup QB competition
An Aggies View of the Mat
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
Official SEC Network and
Future Non-Conference Sch
Signee James Thompson arr
Shaw Interview: SB Nation
New Reserved Sections for
Away game ticket requests

Old 12-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #81
Gamecocks3000
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks3000 has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Retire #21

What exactly are the requirements for having a retired jersey?
Gamecocks3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #82
4Runner
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 225
4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyhoskins View Post
Simply put, Marcus ain't Sharpe!

But I do see why several would love to retire his number. And I don't discount your opinion. It is a sign of respect for what Latti is and was to our university. I just think we can show that respect in a more appropriate method.
After seeing Sharpe's stats I think Latti's are comparable even with the limited number of games. Don't let Sharpe's success in the NFL bias his career at USC. Two are totally separate.
4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #83
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyhoskins View Post
Simply put, Marcus ain't Sharpe!

But I do see why several would love to retire his number. And I don't discount your opinion. It is a sign of respect for what Latti is and was to our university. I just think we can show that respect in a more appropriate method.
I personally put Marcus ahead of Sharpe, but understand the argument. (It's by degrees for me.) I also think Marcus will be more of an ambassador for the program moving forward than Sharpe has been.

I just like debating it. I think we need:

A. A statue for Big George
B. Marcus' Jersey retired
C. Walk of Fame in the Farmer's Market
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #84
ELCID14
4-Star

Male

ELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spurs

I like the Idea of that special player on O and D earning it better .....we need a valued Tradition
Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #85
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks3000 View Post
What exactly are the requirements for having a retired jersey?
i cant find a link anymore, but it has to be one of these things.
-school record holder
-all sec 1st or 2nd team for 3 years
-consensus all american
-winner of one of the national player awards (includes position awards)

then you either have to be a graduate or in good academic standing with a reasonable opportunity to graduate. its 5 years since you played your last game, then if memory serves a coach nominates you and then it goes to a a panel. i cant remember who comprises the panel, but i think its a group of gamecock coaches across all sports, dont quote me on that.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #86
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
I also think Marcus will be more of an ambassador for the program moving forward than Sharpe has been.
I agree with what you are saying, SS hasn't been anything close to what he could have been or could be as an ambassador for us, but, in his defense, when JoMo died there was a concerted effort to distance the university from all things JoMo. The looming steroid scandal was just one of a legion of things on the list. That is why then current coaches weren't considered and Sparky Woods was brought in. One of the things that happened, and I have heard this straight from SS, was that he was told that he could no longer use the weight room at USC. This happened just as he was finishing up a workout with and in front of several of his NFL buddies. Not only was he hurt being told that he could no longer work out here, but he was embarrassed in front of friends when it happened. So I can see his keeping his distance a little.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #87
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
I agree with what you are saying, SS hasn't been anything close to what he could have been or could be as an ambassador for us, but, in his defense, when JoMo died there was a concerted effort to distance the university from all things JoMo. The looming steroid scandal was just one of a legion of things on the list. That is why then current coaches weren't considered and Sparky Woods was brought in. One of the things that happened, and I have heard this straight from SS, was that he was told that he could no longer use the weight room at USC. This happened just as he was finishing up a workout with and in front of several of his NFL buddies. Not only was he hurt being told that he could no longer work out here, but he was embarrassed in front of friends when it happened. So I can see his keeping his distance a little.
That's interesting. Didn't know that. I actually love SS, but he's kept his distance. This would make it make more sense.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #88
gocockswyn
Starter

Female

gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly

It should go without saying. Keep #21 forever as Marcus's number. Retire it.
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #89
gsgp
Blue Chip

Male

gsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talons

It is up to the school on retirement of numbers . There is no policy. Marcus means so much more to tbe University of South Carolina than we even know now.
gsgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #90
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgp View Post
It is up to the school on retirement of numbers . There is no policy. Marcus means so much more to tbe University of South Carolina than we even know now.
I have been saying this all week, but some are so much against the retirement of a number.

The argument is that we may run out of numbers, but the more valid argument is, when will we ever have another guy like Lattimore play for us?
I think that is the thing folks need to think about when thinking about retiring his number, and not just his jersey.

Some, say the jersey is enough. While I believe it is not. It is almost disrespectful towards him, seeing how no one can ever fill that one quite like he did.

Of course Lattimore if asked himself would say no, but he is humble. Sometimes fans like us just need to speak up, and make it happen.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote